What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Voy is wrong...... It Purple not grey

As answered previously...

I watched Voyager and DS9 a lot while I was making their guides and I've tested these colors against a lot of the actual game world lighting rather than just in the Tailor screen. The shade of cool gray I chose does appear somewhat lavender in a lot of lighting, but appears bluish in others, while in neutral lighting it appears gray, just like in the shows.

Don't depend on stills on the interwebs. Watch the shows and you can see what I am talking about.

:cool:
    edited July 2011
    Here is a prototype for the new guide design. Over time all guides will be redone in this new more compact design.

Anatares 01 Sciences Blue Uniform

Let me know what you guys think.

edited July 2011
    I like the new guide design. Especially with the alphanumeric numbers for each color.
    edited July 2011
    Looks good, However may I suggest making it a smidgen smaller, as currently with an 800px high screen one has an ever so small scroll with it. Also you might want to bring her up a bit, as her feet are getting cut off.

As for an added suggestion, while I know the creator now tells you this, might it be possible to add the 2 main color boxes in the area below all the setting with the columns & rows marked?

peter
    edited July 2011
    PerRock wrote: »
    Looks good, However may I suggest making it a smidgen smaller, as currently with an 800px high screen one has an ever so small scroll with it. Also you might want to bring her up a bit, as her feet are getting cut off.

As for an added suggestion, while I know the creator now tells you this, might it be possible to add the 2 main color boxes in the area below all the setting with the columns & rows marked?

peter

Like this perhaps? Size better now?

Antares 01 Sciences Blue Uniform - version 2

I can't do anything about the feet cutting off right now. That's the way this particular screen shot was taken. I do plan on doing a reshoot for many of the uniforms and I will try to keep as much of their feet in screen as possible then. But for now I'm just looking for feedback on the overall design.

edited July 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Like this perhaps? Size better now?

Antares 01 Sciences Blue Uniform - version 2

I can't do anything about the feet cutting off right now. That's the way this particular screen shot was taken. I do plan on doing a reshoot for many of the uniforms and I will try to keep as much of their feet in screen as possible then. But for now I'm just looking for feedback on the overall design.

This looks really good. :)

My only hope is that I can read those letters on an MP3 Player. :cool:
    edited July 2011
    KiraYamato wrote:
    This looks really good. :)

My only hope is that I can read those letters on an MP3 Player. :cool:

It's readable on my Android phone...

& yes that is better.

Peter
    edited July 2011
    With a little bit of spit and polish.

Antares 01 Sciences Blue Uniform version 3

edited July 2011
    Here is a prototype for the new guide design. Over time all guides will be redone in this new more compact design.

Anatares 01 Sciences Blue Uniform

Let me know what you guys think.

I'm liking that very much, pal! If that's the shape of the guides to come then I look forward to seeing them! :cool:
    edited July 2011
    With a little bit of spit and polish.

Antares 01 Sciences Blue Uniform version 3

I like it. I love the added graph coordinates. Not sure I like the LCAR bar dividing upper and lower body. Is that in the game or did you add that? Meh. Just looks funny, to me, but what do I know? It's not a sticking point or anything. :p

Well done Sir Blackavaar! I look forward to these new guides, whenever you get them out (no rush).
    edited July 2011
    I like it. I love the added graph coordinates. Not sure I like the LCAR bar dividing upper and lower body. Is that in the game or did you add that? Meh. Just looks funny, to me, but what do I know? It's not a sticking point or anything. :p

Well done Sir Blackavaar! I look forward to these new guides, whenever you get them out (no rush).

I added that, but it can be easily removed.

edited July 2011
    And this is the version I'm going to run with. Hope you all like it because there are many more to come. I've already started updating the As and Bs to Antares and Sierra. Once those are done I plan on updating the Technician and Thug uniforms and moving on from there.

Antares 01 Sciences Blue Uniform

Oh, and here's the Klingon version.

DS9 Klingon Female 1

Look forward to them in the coming weeks.

edited July 2011
    And this is the version I'm going to run with. Hope you all like it because there are many more to come. I've already started updating the As and Bs to Antares and Sierra. Once those are done I plan on updating the Technician and Thug uniforms and moving on from there.

Antares 01 Sciences Blue Uniform

Oh, and here's the Klingon version.

DS9 Klingon Female 1

Look forward to them in the coming weeks.

So that's it then, huh? Lookin' good! :cool:

I have a query I've been wanting to ask for ages now and this thread seems like the best place to do it. What I want to know is this:
    Were the DS9/VOY uniforms jumpsuits or have they always been 2-piece uniforms? The reason I ask is because I recently re-watched Star Trek: Generations and notice that Picard is wearing a belt with his uniform which suggests it is a 2-piece but nothing in DS9 (that I can remember at least) before that suggests it is nothing more than a 1-piece jumpsuit. And then around the time of Star Trek: First Contact when the new uniform was introduced suddenly on VOY characters like B'Elanna are taking off their uniform tops as though they're 2-piece uniforms and always have been. Was it a jumpsuit in DS9 and VOY early days which was later modified by costume designers to be a 2-piece or was and has it always been a jumpsuit and for scenes which required a character to be wearing a T-Shirt they wore a specially made 2-piece uniform instead to show the top being removed should the scene require it?

Hope that makes sense. Look forward to any and all responses. :)
    edited July 2011
    Alan_81 wrote: »
    So that's it then, huh? Lookin' good! :cool:

I have a query I've been wanting to ask for ages now and this thread seems like the best place to do it. What I want to know is this:
    Were the DS9/VOY uniforms jumpsuits or have they always been 2-piece uniforms? The reason I ask is because I recently re-watched Star Trek: Generations and notice that Picard is wearing a belt with his uniform which suggests it is a 2-piece but nothing in DS9 (that I can remember at least) before that suggests it is nothing more than a 1-piece jumpsuit. And then around the time of Star Trek: First Contact when the new uniform was introduced suddenly on VOY characters like B'Elanna are taking off their uniform tops as though they're 2-piece uniforms and always have been. Was it a jumpsuit in DS9 and VOY early days which was later modified by costume designers to be a 2-piece or was and has it always been a jumpsuit and for scenes which required a character to be wearing a T-Shirt they wore a specially made 2-piece uniform instead to show the top being removed should the scene require it?

Hope that makes sense. Look forward to any and all responses. :)

The answer is they have always been both. In most cases it was a jumpsuit. The two piece version only appeared when there was a need for it. So, when the script called for them to be in sweltering heat, to have a wound they would need to get to or to undress at least partially for a love scene, that's when they wore the two piece version. Otherwise it was always the one piece.

edited July 2011
    The answer is they have always been both. In most cases it was a jumpsuit. The two piece version only appeared when there was a need for it. So, when the script called for them to be in sweltering heat, to have a wound they would need to get to or to undress at least partially for a love scene, that's when they wore the two piece version. Otherwise it was always the one piece.

Thank you for that, my friend. Much appreciated. :)
    edited July 2011
    Thank you for that, my friend. Much appreciated. :)

Any time, pal.

edited July 2011
    hey black.

If you get a spare moment could you tell me what the bajoran uniform colours are on the Tailor Npc at Ds9 please.
    edited July 2011
    I appologize if this has already been asked ahead of time.

Playing around at the KDF tailor last night got me wondering. Is there a set color scheme to the TOS Klingon belt, or does it use the same colors as the uniform itself?
    edited July 2011
    Hi again Black! I'm aware that you're currently working on updating the uniform colour guides system but I was wondering if after that, once you've taken a breather obviously, you had any plans to work on the Starfleet Academy comic uniforms worn by the Academy officers that we spoke about several posts back? I can't find any images on-line of the uniforms but using STO and going from my memory I made the image in the link below to give you an idea of the uniform I'm talking about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Alan-WK/StarfleetAcademyTutorUniformcirca2372-7301.jpg

It's basically the DS9 uniform from Season 3 to Season 5 except the jumpsuit is primarily grey and the polo neck (or "turtle neck" as I believe it is known in the US) colour matches the division going across the shoulders. It was seen in the comics being worn by instructors and a few other officers assigned to the Academy. They were also shown as being available in engineering yellow, science blue, and medical teal too.

Hope that helps. :)
    edited July 2011
    I may have missed it, but have you added the KDF veteran costume pieces to the Klingon costume list yet, Blackavaar?
    edited July 2011
    Thanks Blackavaar. Helps a lot to make it all a bit more fitting.
    edited July 2011
    Hi again Black! I'm aware that you're currently working on updating the uniform colour guides system but I was wondering if after that, once you've taken a breather obviously, you had any plans to work on the Starfleet Academy comic uniforms worn by the Academy officers that we spoke about several posts back? I can't find any images on-line of the uniforms but using STO and going from my memory I made the image in the link below to give you an idea of the uniform I'm talking about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Alan-WK/StarfleetAcademyTutorUniformcirca2372-7301.jpg

It's basically the DS9 uniform from Season 3 to Season 5 except the jumpsuit is primarily grey and the polo neck (or "turtle neck" as I believe it is known in the US) colour matches the division going across the shoulders. It was seen in the comics being worn by instructors and a few other officers assigned to the Academy. They were also shown as being available in engineering yellow, science blue, and medical teal too.

edited July 2011
    hey black.

If you get a spare moment could you tell me what the bajoran uniform colours are on the Tailor Npc at Ds9 please.

Sorry that it took so long to reply. Been on vacation with no computer available to me for the last few days.

The main color is a color that is not available to us. The rest (the Shoulders, Belt and Boots) appear to all be done in A8. I really wish the devs would stick to colors that we can use when creating these NPC costumes.

I appologize if this has already been asked ahead of time.

Playing around at the KDF tailor last night got me wondering. Is there a set color scheme to the TOS Klingon belt, or does it use the same colors as the uniform itself?

I didn't realize the Klingon TOS belt had finally been added. I'm going to have to check that out and get back to you.

Basically the Instructor uniform was the same as the cadets except for the collar, which would match the Shoulder color I believe. I do plan on making guides for them. Hopefully they will fix the Tailor zoom before I get to it. Right now I can't adjust the zoom properly. It's either super far away or really super close up. There is no in-between.
    MKitsune wrote: »
    I may have missed it, but have you added the KDF veteran costume pieces to the Klingon costume list yet, Blackavaar?

Not yet. I do plan on adding them but I've been busy with so much and currently the zoom is still messed up, so I'll have to wait until that is fixed now.
    Anelor wrote:
    Thanks Blackavaar. Helps a lot to make it all a bit more fitting.

You're very welcome.

edited July 2011
    Sorry that it took so long to reply. Been on vacation with no computer available to me for the last few days.

Basically the Instructor uniform was the same as the cadets except for the collar, which would match the Shoulder color I believe. I do plan on making guides for them. Hopefully they will fix the Tailor zoom before I get to it. Right now I can't adjust the zoom properly. It's either super far away or really super close up. There is no in-between.

No worries, mate. Hope you had a good time off. :cool:

Great to hear that you will be doing guides for the Starfleet Academy comic instructor uniforms after you've updated all the previous guides. I look forward to seeing them.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having this issue with the zoom at the tailors. Before I couldn't zoom at all and then they fixed it so I can...but this new issue has arisen where I can zoom in fully and zoom out fully but can't zoom in halfway. Lets hope the devs sort this issue out soon.
    edited July 2011
    Although I think this is only slightly on topic, would it be canonically acceptable for a crew to use a variant of the Sierra 1 uniform, but with "Pants - Loose Long - Standard", and "Feet - Soft Boots" instead of the tight pants and padded/combat boots?

I really wish they'd add some non-skirt named Antares and Sierra uniform options for pants and footwear.
    edited July 2011
    Although I think this is only slightly on topic, would it be canonically acceptable for a crew to use a variant of the Sierra 1 uniform, but with "Pants - Loose Long - Standard", and "Feet - Soft Boots" instead of the tight pants and padded/combat boots?

I really wish they'd add some non-skirt named Antares and Sierra uniform options for pants and footwear.

The Antares and Sierra uniforms are done using NPCs in-game as examples. Not all of the variants are included. I believe I do remember seeing a couple of B-01 (now Sierra 01) variants that did use the Standard pants when I was researching for the guides. The main reason I chose the version I did was for variety. I didn't want every uniform to use the same pants.

When you are in the game just take a look around. Good places to look are ESD, SB39-Sierra, K-7 and DS9. I'm sure you can find a version of Sierra 01 with Loose Long pants to emulate. In general the colors are usually very similar if not identical to those posted here.

In short, yes, I would find it canonically acceptable.

edited July 2011
    No worries, mate. Hope you had a good time off. :cool:

Great to hear that you will be doing guides for the Starfleet Academy comic instructor uniforms after you've updated all the previous guides. I look forward to seeing them.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having this issue with the zoom at the tailors. Before I couldn't zoom at all and then they fixed it so I can...but this new issue has arisen where I can zoom in fully and zoom out fully but can't zoom in halfway. Lets hope the devs sort this issue out soon.

Thanks, Alan! I did. It was nice just to get out of town for a while.

I look forward to creating them.

And yes, I hope they sort it out soon. I can't take any decent screen shots (in the Tailor screen) until they do.

edited July 2011
    Thanks, Alan! I did. It was nice just to get out of town for a while.

I look forward to creating them.

And yes, I hope they sort it out soon. I can't take any decent screen shots (in the Tailor screen) until they do.

Bit of R&R. Good for you.

Probably not as much as we look forward to seeing them. :)

I imagine that must make the guide creation a wee bit difficult for you. At time of writing this I see the server is down for maintenance so my fingers are crossed that the tailor zoom issue will be one of the things undergoing some fixing.

I'm loving your latest sig rockin' out the new Enterprise btw! Very cool! :cool:
    edited July 2011
    At time of writing this I see the server is down for maintenance so my fingers are crossed that the tailor zoom issue will be one of the things undergoing some fixing.

I'm loving your latest sig rockin' out the new Enterprise btw! Very cool! :cool:

Yay! Hope hope.

Thanks! I wasn't the biggest fan of this design at first, but the devs did a great job of developing it for the game and now I can't wait to have an Odyssey class of my own. I only wish we could see it on the silver screen at some point.

edited July 2011
    Hey hello Blackavaar
    At First sorry when you have Problems with my ENglisch but i'am a German user ;)
    I watched and used your Guides for the most of my CHarackters and i want to say thank you and Great work.
    I Hope we will see the new Cadet Uniforms in the next time (When you Have the exact blue color for this Uniforms we see In-Game it will be great when you will post it here)
This discussion has been closed.