test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Blackavaar, just wanted to drop by and say that this is a really great resource for the community. While cannon colors aren't as important to me personally, I can see how these diagrams can really help someone wanting it "just right." I also can appreciate how much time something like this can have devoted to it; I've noticed you maintain and update it regularly! So, keep up the great work! :cool:

Thanks, spidermitch! I will.

:cool:
    edited April 2011
    Of course the medical ones would be the ones with a different pattern than all the other Bajoran uniforms. :p And messing around with the colors, it's fairly easy to get the red one, but the brown one is almost certainly using off duty colors.

Use orange for brown. That is perhaps the most fitting color.

The only sad thing is that the color of the rank insignia cannot be changed.
    edited April 2011
    And here they are. As usual I did all I could with the color selections we have available. Also, while doing the Bajoran guides I remembered someone asking about Vulcan uniforms and I realized that these could be used to do a pretty good mock-up of the ones which also appeared in DS9, so I added those as well. Hope you all like them.

Bajoran Uniforms
    Note: I left out the Medical yellow and brown variant, since it only appeared in the first season and was likely replaced because it could be too easily mistaken for the Security uniform. That's the problem I ran into during my lighting tests.

Command
    Operations
    Soldiers
    Security
    Medical
    Technician

Dress Blues

Bajoran Robes

Vedek Robe - Gold
    Vedek Robe - Orange
    Vedek Robe - Orange with Hood
    Vedek Robe - Gray
    Vedek Robe - Green
    Vadek Robe - Red with Hood

25th Century Bajoran Uniforms
    Note: These are mock-ups of what the Bajoran uniforms might look like now that Bajor is a full Federation member world and considering the Captain's prerogative rule on uniform choices. Here I am assuming that Bajorans would use standard Federation divisional colors, but keep their design aesthetic.

Command 1
    Command 2
    Operations 1
    Operations 2
    Sciences 1
    Sciences 2

Bajoran Stealth Uniform

Vulcan Uniforms (Mock-up)

Command
    Sciences
    Medical
    Operations

Enjoy!

edited April 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    And here they are... the Bajoran guides...
    Thanks Lord Blackavaar. Those look good.

I got to thinking about it, and I have a question... Are these supposed to be "DS9" era uniform (ie from 2369-2375) or do you think they are supposed to be "current" 2409 era uniforms?
    edited April 2011
    Hi Blackavaar, I cannot find the Ambassador uniform... where is it?

Thx!
    edited April 2011
    Bajoran Uniforms
    Note: I left out the Medical yellow and brown variant, since it only appeared in the first season and was likely replaced because it could be too easily mistaken for the Security uniform. That's the problem I ran into during my lighting tests.

Command
    Operations 1
    Operations 2
    Security
    Medical
    Technician
    Wow!
    You've got the colors right. But one of the operation uniforms was worn by officers who clearly did not belong into operations, but were line/field officers. (We clearly do not know, if the Bajoran militia has a similiar color code as Starfleet or a completely different one.
    BTW the dres uniform is missing. It would be a mock-up, but the standard uniform is clore enough for this. Kira's uniform can also be recreated by using T'Pol's top.

Command
    Sciences
    Medical
    Operations
    Somehow I cannot see any resemblance to the Vulcan uniforms from ENT.
    ... I got to thinking about it, and I have a question... Are these supposed to be "DS9" era uniform (ie from 2369-2375) or do you think they are supposed to be "current" 2409 era uniforms?
    These are the uniforms seen in DS9. Currently there should not be any Bajoran milita, because Bajor is (?) a member of the Federation and the Bajoran militia thus became part of Starfleet.
    edited April 2011
    The way that it looks like Starfleet does it (hell, we know of a Starfleet wet navy), is that each race has its down "planetary defenece force" that is made up of the old-style military they had before joining Starfleet, or that is the way that Cryptic is heading, hence the D'Kyr we got issued, if you read that description it does state that its still in use by the Vulcan's.
    edited April 2011
    We know that many members of the Federation (except Earth) still have their own security forces. We also know, that the Bajoran militia would have become part of Starfleet if Bajor would have joined the Federation before the Dominion War started.
    The D'Kyr once was a vulcan 'warship' but those vessel are now used by civilian organisations (like the Vulcan Science Academy).
    edited April 2011
    Wow!
    You've got the colors right. But one of the operation uniforms was worn by officers who clearly did not belong into operations, but were line/field officers. (We clearly do not know, if the Bajoran militia has a similiar color code as Starfleet or a completely different one.
    BTW the dres uniform is missing. It would be a mock-up, but the standard uniform is clore enough for this. Kira's uniform can also be recreated by using T'Pol's top.

These are the uniforms seen in DS9. Currently there should not be any Bajoran milita, because Bajor is (?) a member of the Federation and the Bajoran militia thus became part of Starfleet.

I doubt that they are ENT-era vulcan uniforms, as they have the AGT combadge on them. Unless I missed something when watching ENT, no one in SF had combadges back them.

Wow someone just likes being a tool.

peter
    edited April 2011
    cenovita wrote: »
    Hi Blackavaar, I cannot find the Ambassador uniform... where is it?

Thx!

Since it is based on the TNG Film/DS9 Dress Uniforms, it is found in Canon Dress Uniforms here.
    Thanks Lord Blackavaar. Those look good.

I got to thinking about it, and I have a question... Are these supposed to be "DS9" era uniform (ie from 2369-2375) or do you think they are supposed to be "current" 2409 era uniforms?

Well, it appears they used the Command/Operations uniform from DS9 Season One and the Security/Technician uniform from Season three and beyond. So, I think they are considered to be the DS9 era uniforms.
    Wow!
    You've got the colors right. But one of the operation uniforms was worn by officers who clearly did not belong into operations, but were line/field officers. (We clearly do not know, if the Bajoran militia has a similar color code as Starfleet or a completely different one.
    BTW the dress uniform is missing. It would be a mock-up, but the standard uniform is close enough for this. Kira's uniform can also be recreated by using T'Pol's top.

I may try to mock-up the Kira dress uniform at a later time.

Those are based on Vulcan uniforms seen on DS9, not Enterprise. If they were based on Enterprise they would be all gray. Back then the Vulcans had a more boring aesthetic going on.

Even when a species is a member of the Federation, they still continue to use their own uniforms when aboard their own ships and they can still maintain their own military forces. Federation member does not automatically mean Starfleet officers.

edited April 2011
    Idea: post some screenies at different lighting situations. Even going as far as to find a place in game that NPCs wear a uniform, and taking a screenshot next to it. For example, when I was making my Bajoran robes, I was constantly running to and from the Bajoran Temple on DS9 to make sure I got them right. Obviously more work for you, but it might help people to actually see the differences in tailor/in game writing.
    edited April 2011
    Felderburg wrote: »
    Idea: post some screenies at different lighting situations. Even going as far as to find a place in game that NPCs wear a uniform, and taking a screenshot next to it. For example, when I was making my Bajoran robes, I was constantly running to and from the Bajoran Temple on DS9 to make sure I got them right. Obviously more work for you, but it might help people to actually see the differences in tailor/in game writing.

I do lighting tests to be sure of accuracy. Mainly I use Stranded (Azura), Vulcan and random planetary missions in Delta Volanis. I just don't usually take screen shots of them. I find DS9's lighting far too dark and shadowy in-game. It's not good for lighting tests.

edited April 2011
    Well, wherever. I just think it would add to the guide.

But if you do ever do Bajoran prylar robes, you'll have to go to DS9... until they add Bajor as a walkable location....
    edited April 2011
    Those are based on Vulcan uniforms seen on DS9, not Enterprise. If they were based on Enterprise they would be all gray. Back then the Vulcans had a more boring aesthetic going on.
    Well, the only vulcan in a non-starfleet uniform in the 24th century I've found was the captain of the Vulcan science vessel T'Vran wearing a blue uniform.
    Even when a species is a member of the Federation, they still continue to use their own uniforms when aboard their own ships and they can still maintain their own military forces. Federation member does not automatically mean Starfleet officers.
    DS9 "Rapture" says different. And during the whole dominion war, we did never hear that Andorian Imperial Guard or Vulcan High Command vessels or fleets were actively fighting the Dominion. Also the existence of Starfleet vessel with Vulcan only crews suggests that Starfleet includes all the former navies of all Federation members. All that we know is, that the vulcan intelligence service V'Shar is still active and that Vulcan has a fleet of independent science vessels.
    edited April 2011
    We know at least one organization existed in a security/military capacity other than Starfleet: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Federation_Naval_Patrol Just sayin' is all.
    edited April 2011
    Well, the only vulcan in a non-starfleet uniform in the 24th century I've found was the captain of the Vulcan science vessel T'Vran wearing a blue uniform.

DS9 "Rapture" says different. And during the whole dominion war, we did never hear that Andorian Imperial Guard or Vulcan High Command vessels or fleets were actively fighting the Dominion. Also the existence of Starfleet vessel with Vulcan only crews suggests that Starfleet includes all the former navies of all Federation members. All that we know is, that the vulcan intelligence service V'Shar is still active and that Vulcan has a fleet of independent science vessels.

And when Betazed was captured by the Dominion, it was mentioned that Betazed's own defense force was "antiquated". The wording suggests they maintained their own fleet. Plus, I seriously doubt that a Starfleet-run defense force would be labeled as "antiquated".
    edited April 2011
    RE: Ambassador uniform. The one in game is actually a lighter red. I think the closest I got was Red 1. And it uses the standard 'Current' command badge with no ranks. The rest of it matches. But that's what I found by going back and forth trying to see how closely I could match his uniform in the room (I did this several months ago when I first reached Ambassador, so it's only accurate if they haven't changed his uniform).

EDIT:
    I imagine some of those groups are similar to the current United States setup. Starfleet would be the Army/Navy/Airforce and stuff like the Andorian Imperial Guard would be like the state's National Guard. Same thing for intelligence agencies, Section 31 would be the CIA/FBI and the Vulcan intelligence would be like a state bureau of investigation.

Anyways, I want that Vulcan uniform in game. By now cryptic has to be running low on iconic costumes to sell. I mean there's early season TNG uniforms, TNG/DS9 dress uniforms, doctor's coat and what else? Cadet uniforms maybe? A Wesley Crusher Uniform Pack (If you're listening Cryptic that would be a great April 1st gift next year)?
    edited April 2011
    Cuatela wrote:
    And when Betazed was captured by the Dominion, it was mentioned that Betazed's own defense force was "antiquated". The wording suggests they maintained their own fleet. Plus, I seriously doubt that a Starfleet-run defense force would be labeled as "antiquated".

The reason for that is IMO quite simple. Betazed, like Earth, lies deep within Federation space, so they had no need for a modern defence force. BTW, Earth's own defence force was also not very modern, as you can see in "Best of Both Worlds", where it only consists of some missiles. And it seems that those defenses were not upgarde before the war, or the Breen would not have been so successfull with their surprise attack.
    IMO Starfleet is the only (quasi-)organisation still in existance in the Federation, all others have either been absorbed into Starfleet or have been reduced into a planetary security/police force or a strictly civilian service. That also includes older intelligence services like the vulcan V'Shar.
    The Federation Naval Patrol seems to be a Federation wide service, perhaps it is the equivalent of the Coast Guard, which does not mean that it is a military organisation (in many countries the police and the coast guard are not part of the military).
    But that's all my opinion.
    edited April 2011
    Barbarossa, this really isn't the place for this discussion.
    edited April 2011
    @the_illustrious_q: I know. It was just an explanation.

@Blackavaar: Will there be any skirted variants of the Bajoran uniforms?
    edited April 2011
    And here they are. As usual I did all I could with the color selections we have available. Also, while doing the Bajoran guides I remembered someone asking about Vulcan uniforms and I realized that these could be used to do a pretty good mock-up of the ones which also appeared in DS9, so I added those as well. Hope you all like them.

Bajoran Uniforms

Command
    Operations 1
    Operations 2
    Security
    Medical
    Technician

Command
    Sciences
    Medical
    Operations

Enjoy!

Great work with those matey! Superb job! :)

I hope at some point the devs make more additions to the Bajoran options such as Kira's Seasons 4 to 6 and Season 7 uniforms, the undershirt, and the dress uniform.
    edited April 2011
    Well, Kira's jumpsuit can be recreated as a mock-up by using parts of T'Pol's uniform.
    The dress uniform can be recreated by using the standard uniform with different colors.
    The mirror universe top can be used as a substitute undershirt for female bajorans.
    edited April 2011
    So I never noticed it before, but there is a bug with male Bajoran's earring and scars/tattoos. The chain and scar/tattoo will use the same color. So if you go to the scar/tattoo and change it to red, the chain's color will also change to that red, and if you go to the earring and change it to silver, the scar/tattoo's color will also change to that silver.

It happens regardless of which tattoo, scar or earring you choose and only happens on male Bajorans.
    edited April 2011
    So I never noticed it before, but there is a bug with male Bajoran's earring and scars/tattoos. The chain and scar/tattoo will use the same color. So if you go to the scar/tattoo and change it to red, the chain's color will also change to that red, and if you go to the earring and change it to silver, the scar/tattoo's color will also change to that silver.

It happens regardless of which tattoo, scar or earring you choose and only happens on male Bajorans.

Color linking in the tailor is a persistent problem. Several of my BOs have glove and pant colors linked. It's SUPER annoying, and I've filed multiple bug tickets.
    edited April 2011
    Thank you all for your questions and comments. I'm glad you all appreciate the work I put into this guide.

The Vulcan guides are based on the uniforms that appear in DS9 but are naturally going to be different because they are just mock-ups. In addition to the Captain in blue (actually more of a blue-violet in the show) found on Memory Alpha, the uniforms are also based on various Vulcan extras seen wearing similar uniforms in Quark's in various episodes. While I am just guessing on the designations (except for the Captain, of course) I believe the colors are pretty accurate.

Yes, I am considering doing mock-ups of Kira's Jumpsuit and the Dress uniforms. I am also considering doing a Federation line-up based on supposition that since the Bajorans are now full Federation members they might have adapted their uniforms to Federation standard colors and designations.

No, I have not considered Skirt variants, since none are ever seen in the series. I may consider adding some theoretical Skirt mock-ups at some point.

The color locking problem is often troublesome and I report each occurrence of it I see. They tend to get them worked out pretty fast in most cases. Some continue to persist though.

Thanks again all and keep watching!

edited April 2011
    One little thing:
    I believe that using the TOS nurse split skirt instead of the normal TOS split skirt works better with the TOS captains tunic.
    edited April 2011
    Hey man. I'm looking for Odo's variant of the Bajoran uniform. Could that be possible?
    edited April 2011
    It already exists, but if you want the collarless version then it is not possible.
    edited April 2011
    Thank you all for your questions and comments. I'm glad you all appreciate the work I put into this guide.

The Vulcan guides are based on the uniforms that appear in DS9 but are naturally going to be different because they are just mock-ups. In addition to the Captain in blue (actually more of a blue-violet in the show) found on Memory Alpha, the uniforms are also based on various Vulcan extras seen wearing similar uniforms in Quark's in various episodes. While I am just guessing on the designations (except for the Captain, of course) I believe the colors are pretty accurate.

Yes, I am considering doing mock-ups of Kira's Jumpsuit and the Dress uniforms. I am also considering doing a Federation line-up based on supposition that since the Bajorans are now full Federation members they might have adapted their uniforms to Federation standard colors and designations.

No, I have not considered Skirt variants, since none are ever seen in the series. I may consider adding some theoretical Skirt mock-ups at some point.

The color locking problem is often troublesome and I report each occurrence of it I see. They tend to get them worked out pretty fast in most cases. Some continue to persist though.

Thanks again all and keep watching!

Thank YOU. :)
    edited April 2011
    Thank you, Blackavaar! As usual, these are greatly appreciated.

A question that just came to mind (I haven't tried it out yet): What do you think, could the Bajoran pants (and maybe even the Bajoran boots) be a more accurate choice for the TNG-series Captain's Jacket Variant?
This discussion has been closed.