test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Felderburg wrote: »
    I've been looking for a how-to topic giving instructions on how to create a seven of nine-like character in star trek online, but I just can't find anything giving me good information i can use at the character creator. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope

Well, you'd have to either have a liberated borg character (playable for lifers, or a BO can be C Store purchased, or comes with the Amazon versions of the game - last check, they were going pretty cheap) OR you can buy the 7 of 9 costume pack, and give any (female) character her borg attachments and catsuit.

Incidentally, the character I used to make the Seven of Nine guides is a Human female using Basic face 1 with a few minor modifications and wearing the short Ponytail hairdo. We do not have an "Efficient" bun yet.

:cool:
    edited April 2011
    I just noted that the April 1st Tribble update notes indicate:
      Franklin Drake is now wearing an actual section 31 costume

Have we ever seen him outside of the NPC dialog box? Might be interesting to see if this is a variant or something new to the game.
    edited April 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Correct, though much more widely spaced in the game version. Also, the upper displays of the LCARS along the sides are way too tall and completely inaccurate. The same can be said about the Defiant pack bridges. Hopefully these will be reworked with as much accuracy as the new TOS bridge someday.
    Except the TOS bridge and corridors all bridges and corridors are too large. So missing and additional consoles (except those in the middle, because those are very important) should not be a reason to ignore a nearly perfect fit, because most bridges in STO have more or less consoles/chairs than the bridges we have seen in the shows.
    I just noted that the April 1st Tribble update notes indicate:
      Franklin Drake is now wearing an actual section 31 costume

Have we ever seen him outside of the NPC dialog box? Might be interesting to see if this is a variant or something new to the game.
    I think that this was part of an April Fool's Day joke! :D
    edited April 2011
    Incidentally, the character I used to make the Seven of Nine guides is a Human female using Basic face 1 with a few minor modifications and wearing the short Ponytail hairdo. We do not have an "Efficient" bun yet.

Thanks a lot @Blackvaar and Felderburg :-)
    edited April 2011

He follows you around in one mission. Specifically the mission Suspect, which seems to be bugged at the moment since I can't get in.
    edited April 2011
    I patched Tribble. The dialog box indicates this is Drake's costume. As seen on Ds9. Would be fun do a mission for him and unlock that for our character as reward.
    edited April 2011
    Off Duty - Special Characters has been moved to its own section in order to make room for future additions.

Special:
    Gary Seven Suit 1
    Gary Seven Suit 2
    Gary Seven Suit 3

Kes Outfit 1
    Kes Outfit 2
    Kes Outfit 3
    Kes/Tieran Outfit 4

Kivas Fajo

Q
    Q Jr.

Vorta - Eris
    Vorta - Keevan
    Vorta - Weyoun
    Vorta - Yelgrun

Enjoy!

edited April 2011
    While we're waiting for those Bajoran Militia uniforms...
    New additions based on in-game characters have been added to the Off Duty section.

Ambassador 1
    Ambassador 2
    Ambassador 3

Enjoy!

edited April 2011
    Greetings Lord Blackavaar,

I have a request. Whenever you get around to making the Guides for the new Bajoran Militia uniforms, released today, can you be sure to include/add a "25th Century" version for the four uniforms displayed in the C-Store?

http://www.startrekonline.com/dyncontent/startrek/uploads/bajoran_01.jpg

Please and thank you!
    edited April 2011
    Greetings Lord Blackavaar,

I have a request. Whenever you get around to making the Guides for the new Bajoran Militia uniforms, released today, can you be sure to include/add a "25th Century" version for the four uniforms displayed in the C-Store?

Please and thank you!

Do you mean to copy the colors the devs used in addition to the actual canon colors?

Sure, I can do that, assuming I have access to those colors, of course.

edited April 2011

It seems that they used the colors of thiose uniforms seen most of the time in DS9 (from left to right):
    enlisted male station security, male engineering/(early) planetary security/staff officer, enlisted feamle station security, female command/liason officer.
    The officer's uniform seems to be accurate and is based on Kira's unform of the first three seasons.
    The enlisted unifrom however is a mix between Odo's uniform, which does not have a collar, and the enlisted jumpsuit, which is a one-piece uniform and to a two-piece.
    edited April 2011

It seems that they used the colors of thiose uniforms seen most of the time in DS9 (from left to right):
    enlisted male station security, male engineering/(early) planetary security/staff officer, enlisted feamle station security, female command/liason officer.
    The officer's uniform seems to be accurate and is based on Kira's unform of the first three seasons.
    The enlisted unifrom however is a mix between Odo's uniform, which does not have a collar, and the enlisted jumpsuit, which is a one-piece uniform and to a two-piece.

Actually from Season Three on even Odo wore the collared uniform. And color-wise, only the command uniform looks like it will be actually doable using the Standard Uniform Color Pallet. The others look like they will not be possible unless they actually allow us to use the Off Duty Color Pallet. I can't tell right now because I am at work and cannot access the game.

The first and third are obviously intended to be Security Officers as those are the colors they wear, no matter the location, although Security never wore rank pins.

And I'm assuming the second from the left is intended to be the Operations uniform, though it looks like they colored it based on a particular image in a particular lighting. In actuality the uniform is Gray with Dark Gray shoulders, not Lavender and Dark Jade. The colors do appear different in different lighting though. So, it's an easy mistake to make.

The Command uniform does look the most accurate, though the belt should match the boots in color, not the shoulders. Also, both the Belt and the Boots appear to be missing some texture. In the show there is a cutout pattern on the front of the Belt and along the top edge of the Boots, similar to Kira's undershirt.

edited April 2011
    Actually from Season Three on even Odo wore the collared uniform.
    You are right.
    And color-wise, only the command uniform looks like it will be actually doable using the Standard Uniform Color Pallet. The others look like they will not be possible unless they actually allow us to use the Off Duty Color Pallet. I can't tell right now because I am at work and cannot access the game.
    You can't use the Off Duty Color Pallet. (Living in the "Old Wolrd" has its advantages ;) )
    The first and third are obviously intended to be Security Officers as those are the colors they wear, no matter the location, although Security never wore rank pins.
    Those are security.
    And I'm assuming the second from the left is intended to be the Operations uniform, though it looks like they colored it based on a particular image in a particular lighting. In actuality the uniform is Gray with Dark Gray shoulders, not Lavender and Dark Jade. The colors do appear different in different lighting though. So, it's an easy mistake to make.
    Operations. I don't know if operations is the right designation. Because in season one all engineers wore those uniforms and in season two we saw high ranking officers and normal soldiers (or planetary security) in this uniform (later they got the red uniform).
    The Command uniform does look the most accurate, though the belt should match the boots in color, not the shoulders. Also, both the Belt and the Boots appear to be missing some texture. In the show there is a cutout pattern on the front of the Belt and along the top edge of the Boots, similar to Kira's undershirt.
    The cutout pattern on the belt exists.
    edited April 2011
    Operations. I don't know if operations is the right designation. Because in season one all engineers wore those uniforms and in season two we saw high ranking officers and normal soldiers (or planetary security) in this uniform (later they got the red uniform).

For the Bajorans, Operations seems to encompass anything from general Maintenance to Soldiers. They're basically General personnel. The reason I call them Operations is because they make up the majority of Bajoran officers seen in OPS on DS9. After Season Two, the Technician uniform becomes the majority used in Engineering and Maintenance.

Also, there appear to be two versions of the Operations uniform. One uses Cool Grays, with a bluish tone. The other uses Warm Grays, which are brownish. There is no definitive distinction made between the two in the show, but it appears that the Warm Grays are mostly worn by the Soldiery, which would make them Tactical uniforms. I'm going to have to watch more episodes. I just finished Season Three last night and started Season Four. I also want to jump back and watch a couple of Season One and Two episodes again for reference.

Don't worry. I'm doing my studying. These uniform guides will be as accurate as possible.

BTW, did they get the ranks right? Are there General, Colonel and Major pips (as per the Marine-style rankings the Bajorans used) or did they rename them according to Starfleet (Navy) standards?

edited April 2011
    BTW, did they get the ranks right? Are there General, Colonel and Major pips (as per the Marine-style rankings the Bajorans used) or did they rename them according to Starfleet (Navy) standards?

Based on what I've seen in the official thread about them, the rank pips are named properly. Unfortunately, the generals' uniform is not part of the pack, so you don't have the option for rank pips on both sides of the collar.
    edited April 2011
    so you don't have the option for rank pips on both sides of the collar.

the general's pips are on both sides of the collar.
    edited April 2011
    Based on what I've seen in the official thread about them, the rank pips are named properly. Unfortunately, the generals' uniform is not part of the pack, so you don't have the option for rank pips on both sides of the collar.

Aw, too bad.

:(

Oh, epaulets even. Very kool.

Edit: Are the epaulets adjustable in color?

edited April 2011
    Aw, too bad.

Oh, epaulets even. Very kool.

Edit: Are the epaulets adjustable in color?

no, neither are the pips.

The badge is however.
    edited April 2011

BTW, did they get the ranks right? Are there General, Colonel and Major pips (as per the Marine-style rankings the Bajorans used) or did they rename them according to Starfleet (Navy) standards?[/COLOR

As far as I can find out, the rank insignia are correct in name, form and size, but the bajoran militia has more ranks than Starfleet, so a commander gets the rank insigina of a major instead of a lieutenant colonel or field colonel.
    edited April 2011
    no, neither are the pips.

The badge is however.

That's not good, because the epaulets were definitely not gold at all.

edited April 2011
    As far as I can find out, the rank insignia are correct in name, form and size, but the bajoran militia has more ranks than Starfleet, so a commander gets the rank insigina of a major instead of a lieutenant colonel or field colonel.

Since many of those ranks were unrepresented by the pins in the show, I can understand that.

The epaulet thing is unacceptable though. At the very least you should be able to change them from gold to silver, especially since silver is canon. The same with the rank pips, since Field Colonels actually wore silver rank pins in the series, they should be able to wear them in the game too.

edited April 2011
    While you wait for me to pound out the Bajoran Militia uniforms, I have something for you guys and gals to play with.

TNG and DS9 Section 31 Uniforms

Now first off these are not canon and have been created at the request of players to have such uniform guides made. First I started with the base of the darkness that is used on the in-game Section 31 uniforms. Then I reasoned that these uniforms could have been a precursor to a uniform worn much later in canon. I also presumed that since during this era Section 31 is still a more underground operation that they would not broadcast the specialty of their agents by using divisional colors. In the end I came up with these two variants. I hope you all like them.

TNG
    DS9

These have, of course, been added to the Section 31 Uniforms section for easy reference.

Enjoy!

edited April 2011
    Someone in the official thread said the general's uniform was not in game. I guess the epaulets and rank pips are, but the general's uniform is clearly different: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/bajoran-wardrobe/ http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Krim_%28General%29.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Someone in the official thread said the general's uniform was not in game. I guess the epaulets and rank pips are, but the general's uniform is clearly different: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/bajoran-wardrobe/ http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Krim_%28General%29.jpg

Yes, I know. Unfortunate, but since the epaulets are messed up anyway...

edited April 2011
    you got a colour chart for the Red command bajoran uniform?
    edited April 2011
    Of course the medical ones would be the ones with a different pattern than all the other Bajoran uniforms. :p And messing around with the colors, it's fairly easy to get the red one, but the brown one is almost certainly using off duty colors.
    edited April 2011
    you got a colour chart for the Red command bajoran uniform?

Not yet. I'm still at work and haven't even seen them in-game yet.

I'm guessing Red D1 for the pink part, Red B7 for the shoulders and Red D5 for the belt and boots, but we'll have to see how that guess pans out.

edited April 2011
    Of course the medical ones would be the ones with a different pattern than all the other Bajoran uniforms. :p And messing around with the colors, it's fairly easy to get the red one, but the brown one is almost certainly using off duty colors.

I really wish when they released these things they would stick to using the colors we are limited to. It seems kind of like false advertising when they use colors on the C-Store models that we can't use.

edited April 2011
    Blackavaar, just wanted to drop by and say that this is a really great resource for the community. While cannon colors aren't as important to me personally, I can see how these diagrams can really help someone wanting it "just right." I also can appreciate how much time something like this can have devoted to it; I've noticed you maintain and update it regularly! So, keep up the great work! :cool:
This discussion has been closed.