test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Patarival wrote: »
    Thank you, Blackavaar! As usual, these are greatly appreciated.

A question that just came to mind (I haven't tried it out yet): What do you think, could the Bajoran pants (and maybe even the Bajoran boots) be a more accurate choice for the TNG-series Captain's Jacket Variant?

You're very welcome.

I was thinking about that myself, but I haven't had a chance to do any lighting tests yet. I'll let you know when I do.

:cool:
    edited April 2011
    New addition to the Canon Alien Uniforms section:

Bajoran Dress Blues

Enjoy!

edited April 2011
    Blues? They are purple and not blue!
    edited April 2011

ermm that looks blue to me. You sure your not color blind? It's about the same color blue as the blue Headers here on the forums.

peter
    edited April 2011
    I do agree that it might look a little purplish but that is also true for the gray colors that look purplish on screen.
    So I agree that it's definitely more blue than purple.
    edited April 2011
    PerRock wrote: »
    ermm that looks blue to me. You sure your not color blind? It's about the same color blue as the blue Headers here on the forums.
    No, on both. The header is light blue but the uniform more purplish than blue, even if it is only a light purple, it is purple and not blue.
    Patarival wrote: »
    I do agree that it might look a little purplish but that is also true for the gray colors that look purplish on screen.
    So I agree that it's definitely more blue than purple.
    And that's an argument to make the TOS command uniforms green and not gold, because the original fabric was green and not gold as it seemed to be on screen. ;)
    (There is a reason NTSC is called NTSC: Not (or: Never) The Same Color!)
    edited April 2011
    I just wanted to say thank for taking the time to make this. It has REALLY helped me get the colors down that I was having Probs with. Do you have any plans for maybe making a Guide for making the people look more human, I'm not the best with the sliders :(
    edited April 2011

Barbarossa, you really need to start watching the episodes instead of depending on stills on the interwebs. That still is in a particular lighting that makes it appear purplish. The moment she starts moving it goes back to blue. Then she walks into another hallway that makes it appear grayish, steps out of the hallway and it is blue again.

Considering my lighting tests, as you move around through the world of STO the color I chose will appear correct.

Also, I tried the violet band of colors and they are way too purple.

edited April 2011
    First, Do have the episodes and going through the scenes Kira wore this uniform in "Crossfire" supports my claim that the uniform is purple and not blue.
    Second, May I remind you of the security uniforms in TSFS where you thought that the collars are black but a closer look revealed that they are dark green?
    I know that the color palette in STO does not support some of the colors used for the uniforms. So you have to choose the best possible substitute, but that does not mean that apurple uniform becomes blue just because light purple does not exist. All light colors do not exist in that palette, so you have to tone down.
    edited April 2011
    Looking great Blackavaar.

Don't think I'm ever gonna get the Bajoran Uniforms though.
    edited April 2011
    Another thing, after watching the episode I've got the feeling that "Loose Long/All Good Things" are the wrong pair of trousers. Kira clearly wears a pair of tight pants and low boots (see "Crossfire" at 4:46).
    edited April 2011
    First, Do have the episodes and going through the scenes Kira wore this uniform in "Crossfire" supports my claim that the uniform is purple and not blue.
    Second, May I remind you of the security uniforms in TSFS where you thought that the collars are black but a closer look revealed that they are dark green?
    I know that the color palette in STO does not support some of the colors used for the uniforms. So you have to choose the best possible substitute, but that does not mean that apurple uniform becomes blue just because light purple does not exist. All light colors do not exist in that palette, so you have to tone down.

Another thing, after watching the episode I've got the feeling that "Loose Long/All Good Things" are the wrong pair of trousers. Kira clearly wears a pair of tight pants and low boots (see "Crossfire" at 4:46).

Kool. You have the episodes. I never said you didn't. I have them as well and I just watched Crossfire again this morning. :)

The uniform has a hint of lavender to it, but it's not purple and it is closer to the blue in our available pallet than it is to the violet. If there were another option I would use it, but there is not. I apologize. Feel free to use the violet equivalents of my choices if you prefer.

As for the Pants choice, the texture of the current available options for Tight pants looks bad when matched with the smooth Bajoran cloth. The All Good Things choice has a nice tight cloth look with a smooth ankle line. That is why it was chosen. Feel free to choose otherwise if you wish.

edited April 2011
    Looking great Blackavaar.

Don't think I'm ever gonna get the Bajoran Uniforms though.

Thank you!

It's a preference thing. I can dig it.

edited April 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Thank you!

It's a preference thing. I can dig it.

Actually, I like the Bajoran uniforms alot but Cryptics business decisions have pushed me into being unable to purchase anything with a Cryptic or Atari logo on it. :(

I love the Vulcan uniforms too, epic.

I especially can't wait till they seperate off duty from duty uniforms, do you think the off duty palette will be available to all clothes? I sure hope so :)
    edited April 2011
    New additions: I created these uniforms theorizing about what the Bajoran uniforms might look like now that Bajor is a full Federation member world and considering the Captain's prerogative rule on uniform choices. Here I am supposing that Bajorans would use standard Federation divisional colors, while keeping their own design aesthetic. I hope you like them.

25th Century Bajoran Uniforms

Command 1
    Command 2
    Operations 1
    Operations 2
    Sciences 1
    Sciences 2

These have also been added to the Bajoran section of the Canon Alien Uniforms guide for easy reference.

Enjoy!

edited April 2011
    Thanks Lord Blackavaar. Those look good.

I got to thinking about it, and I have a question... Are these supposed to be "DS9" era uniform (ie from 2369-2375) or do you think they are supposed to be "current" 2409 era uniforms?

Considering the coloration they used on the C-Store, I believe they are meant to be the classic Bajoran uniforms. However, as you can see, I made 25th Century Federation member variants for them too.

I think these should be used to redress the various Bajoran NPCs on DS9 when they go about the remodeling. Hopefully the devs will agree.

edited April 2011
    By the way, according to the most recent Engineering Report the DS9 Section 31 Uniforms (as worn by Sloan and his men) are coming soon.

Can't wait.

edited April 2011
    By the way, according to the most recent Engineering Report the DS9 Section 31 Uniforms (as worn by Sloan and his men) are coming soon.

Can't wait.

That should be an easy uniform to color ;)
    edited April 2011
    Mailman653 wrote: »
    That should be an easy uniform to color ;)

True, but the color to choose could be tricky. The devil is in the details.

edited April 2011
    It can be any color you want it to be, so long as it is black.
    edited April 2011
    black, i was wondering with your permission, i could make a "Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors" for STOI Forums? in case the Website and STO Suddenly gets cut out by some unknown failure like earthquake which happened in Japan. so i thought i could pephaps make backups in case data was lost.
    edited April 2011
    superlink1 wrote: »
    black, i was wondering with your permission, i could make a "Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors" for STOI Forums? in case the Website and STO Suddenly gets cut out by some unknown failure like earthquake which happened in Japan. so i thought i could pephaps make backups in case data was lost.

Certainly. Although I doubt we'll need any more back-ups. My guide is featured on STOwiki and STOwoche as well as a couple of Fleet sites and I have copies of everything saved for editing. But feel free. You have my permission to use anything in the guide.

edited April 2011
    Hey, Blackavaar, for the sake of completeness, do you think you could do the Open Jacket Variations of the 25th Century Uniforms that have said variations in Operations and Science/Medical Colors as well as the Command Colors you've already done, as well as a group image of all available Open/Closed Jacket and Color Variations for a particular Uniform Type (limiting it to the three main Division Colors)? Again, it's just for the sake of being complete, so that people who wish to would have images of those uniforms in those colors that they can link to. :D:cool:
    edited April 2011
    I think these should be used to redress the various Bajoran NPCs on DS9 when they go about the remodeling. Hopefully the devs will agree.

Well, in the DS9 relaunch novels, at least, no, they shouldn't - all of the members of the Bajoran Militia were given Starfleet commissions when Bajor joined the Federation. Of course, this being Cryptic's version of the early 25th century, they can do whatever they damn well please and/or can get away with.

(Insert grumbling, half-hearted, "I know why they did it but I still don't have to like it" rant on the lack of a single set of uniform standards for Starfleet in STO here.)
    edited April 2011
    Kant_Lavar wrote:
    Well, in the DS9 relaunch novels, at least, no, they shouldn't - all of the members of the Bajoran Militia were given Starfleet commissions when Bajor joined the Federation.

That isn't entirely true. In the relaunch novels, not all of the Bajoran Militia was absorbed into starfleet.
    edited April 2011
    Btw, did a color check on Kira's dress uniform, and it's the hex code #272e4b, or 39 / 46 / 75 (red, green, blue respectively)

Basically what that means, is that while there is some red, the predominant color is definitely blue.:)
    edited April 2011
    KiraYamato wrote:
    Hey, Blackavaar, for the sake of completeness, do you think you could do the Open Jacket Variations of the 25th Century Uniforms that have said variations in Operations and Science/Medical Colors as well as the Command Colors you've already done, as well as a group image of all available Open/Closed Jacket and Color Variations for a particular Uniform Type (limiting it to the three main Division Colors)? Again, it's just for the sake of being complete, so that people who wish to would have images of those uniforms in those colors that they can link to. :D:cool:

I will definitely consider doing that.
    Kant_Lavar wrote:
    Well, in the DS9 relaunch novels, at least, no, they shouldn't - all of the members of the Bajoran Militia were given Starfleet commissions when Bajor joined the Federation.

That isn't entirely true. In the relaunch novels, not all of the Bajoran Militia was absorbed into starfleet.

It seems to me that even in that case the Bajorans in OPS, the Shipyard and working as Security would be the ones that were absorbed, considering that Starfleet is still tasked with running DS9. So, it would make sense that they wear the Federation divisional colors.

There could be still be other Bajorans wearing Militia colors walking around on the station too. They would just be visiting from Bajor, commanding Bajoran vessels that are currently docked there, etc., not commanding the station.

edited April 2011
    Cuatela wrote:
    Btw, did a color check on Kira's dress uniform, and it's the hex code #272e4b, or 39 / 46 / 75 (red, green, blue respectively)

Basically what that means, is that while there is some red, the predominant color is definitely blue.:)

Thank you, Cuatela.

edited April 2011
    Hmmm, looks like you're going to have a new uniform to add to the list come next week. XD Probably the easiest one you've ever done. XD
    edited April 2011
    Hmmm, looks like you're going to have a new uniform to add to the list come next week. XD Probably the easiest one you've ever done. XD

Probably. I've got to wait and check out the details though. It could be trickier than it looks, like does it come with pants and boots of its own or will I have to choose from options we already have? And if I do have to choose from stuff we already have, what will look most accurate?

This discussion has been closed.