test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Canon Dress Uniforms have been moved to their own section in order to make room for further development.

TOS Dress Uniforms.
    Note: These can be colored with any of the divisional colors that appear on them and are not limited to the versions pictured with those colors.

Captain / Commodore - Gold
    Captain / Commodore - Green
    Captain / Commodore Skirt - Gold
    Captain / Commodore Skirt - Green
    Commander - Blue
    Commander Skirt - Blue
    Lieutenant / Lt. Commander - Red
    Lieutenant / Lt. Commander Skirt- Red

Jag Officer Uniform - Female
    Jag Officer Uniform - Male

DS9 / TNG Film (Diplomatic) Dress Uniforms:

Captain
    Command
    Operations
    Sciences

TNG / DS9 Admiral Uniforms

TNG Film / DS9 Admiral Uniform

TNG Series Admiral Uniform

Enjoy!

:cool:
    edited March 2011
    I addition I have also updated the previous TOS uniforms with the bright gold badges and rank braids and added these new TOS Special Ops / Section 31 variants.

Male
    Female

Note: There are no divisional colors for these uniforms. Divisions are indicated by badge alone.

Enjoy!

edited March 2011
    Amazing work!
    edited March 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Thank you for your notes, but I have come to the conclusions I have drawn by watching the movies multiple times myself and conferring with several friends.

If you watch Wrath of Khan through Undiscovered Country you can note that the winsor green that you mention is used for Security Uniforms only appears in the Medical Facility that McCoy is sent to in The Search for Spock. In all other instances the Security Officers wear black collars and an armored vest. The armored vest unfortunately is not available. This leads us to the conclusion that those uniforms are specific to Medical Security personnel, which would fit with the green collars worn by Medical personnel.
    The problem is, that Robert Flechter, who designed those uniforms worked only on the first four films, but his notes were used til the end. So it is no miracle that his successors made mistakes, like using blue instead of windsor green in STTFF or Valeris uniform in STTUC. Those division colors are the correct one and are also shown on Memory Alpha ( http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniform )
    And in the case of TMP, again if you watch you will note that there seems to be some correlation with divisions and rank. For instance, you only see crewmen wearing orange and brown in the engineering section and transporter room, while crewmen in gray and white appear in the science and medical sections as well as on the bridge.

Trust me, we've gone over and over this and while there are sources that say otherwise, I believe we have come to more accurate conclusions than they have. ...
    Here is the problem, that the production notes differ from your version:
    Excerpt from Susan Sackett & Gene Roddenberry's "The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture"

Fletcher not only devised uniforms for all the crew, but, as with most military services, there are several classes of uniforms.

Dress uniforms are worn only on formal occassions and at Starfleet Headquarters. The best example of this can be seen in Admiral Kirk’s uniform worn at the beginning of the movie, with Bill Shatner wearing the crisp loden green and white uniform.

Class A uniforms are double-stitchedand have gold braid designating rank. Some of them have open necklines or other variations, as is true in the military services of our century. Rank designation became a point of confusion because of a decision made years before on the television series uniform. It was felt that the traditional four gold stripes of ship captain’s rank was too blatantly “militaristic”-looking for a 23rd-century paramilitary starship. Accordingly, the captain was held to a couple of stripes and lower ranks to even less. It was decided to continue this way for the movie. But many of the new Star Trek staff (and even Bob Fletcher himself) kept getting the 20th and 23rd centuries confused.

B uniforms utilize shirts which look similar to evolved T-shirts. These are white, beige, and pale brown, and use shoulder boards to indicate rank and service division (through color designations).

Uniforms worn on the bridge are of three general classifications. All command officers generally wear the blue-gray uniforms (Kirk, Spock, Decker, Scotty, McCoy); other bridge officers like Sulu and Chekov wear beige; crew personnel who are usually never on the bridge except for emergencies wear brown.

In addition to these uniforms, there are jump suits in white, brown, beige, gray, and sage green (this color worn in Earth scenes only). These are a kind of work suit, and have the only pockets of any Star Trek costumes, since these outfits are designed to be utilitarian. The jump suits are also designed to fit like a second skin, moving and bending with the person wearing them. Bob chose a special heavy-weight spandex, which he admits was hell to sew, and required the use of a special ballpoint needle to penetrate the material.

Other costumes included leisure wear, field jackets (these are worn in the final scenes at the site of Voyager 6) and space suits.
    edited March 2011
    Canon Dress Uniforms have been moved to their own section in order to make room for further development.

TOS Dress Uniforms.
    Note: These can be colored with any of the divisional colors that appear on them and are not limited to the versions pictured with those colors.

Captain / Commodore - Gold
    Captain / Commodore - Green
    Captain / Commodore Skirt - Gold
    Captain / Commodore Skirt - Green
    Commander - Blue
    Commander Skirt - Blue
    Lieutenant / Lt. Commander - Red
    Lieutenant / Lt. Commander Skirt- Red

DS9 / TNG Film (Diplomatic) Dress Uniforms:

Captain
    Command
    Operations
    Sciences

Enjoy!

I addition I have also updated the previous TOS uniforms with the bright gold badges and rank braids and added these new TOS Special Ops / Section 31 variants.

Male
    Female

Note: There are no divisional colors for these uniforms. Divisions are indicated by badge alone.

Enjoy!

Great work on the TOS bundle, Blackavaar! Awesome as always! :)
    edited March 2011
    The problem is, that Robert Flechter, who designed those uniforms worked only on the first four films, but his notes were used til the end. So it is no miracle that his successors made mistakes, like using blue instead of windsor green in STTFF or Valeris uniform in STTUC. Those division colors are the correct one and are also shown on Memory Alpha ( http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniform )
    Here is the problem, that the production notes differ from your version:

Those notes are faulty. Even in the very movie (Search for Spock) where you can clearly see the winsor green collars on the Medical Security Officers you see Security Officers at the door to Spock's quarters earlier wearing Black collars. Memory Alpha is not perfect.

And when Susan Sackett says generally she is obviously leaving out the various extras in white and gray walking around on the bridge during various scenes. Also, the jumpsuits she refers to as only being worn in Earth scenes can clearly be seen on the crew of the Space Station that witnesses the destruction of the Klingons at the beginning of the film.

Besides, my selections and designations make it easier for players to use the colors in the game and know what they mean rather than just haphazardly putting whatever color on whatever crewman for no apparent reason, which is the way the notes make it sound. I mean really, if we did it that way our Bridge Officers would all be wearing blue-gray and beige and what fun would that be?

edited March 2011
    Amazing work!
    Alan_81 wrote: »
    Great work on the TOS bundle, Blackavaar! Awesome as always! :)

Thank you and thank you!

edited March 2011
    Those notes are faulty. Even in the very movie (Search for Spock) where you can clearly see the winsor green collars on the Medical Security Officers you see Security Officers at the door to Spock's quarters earlier wearing Black collars. Memory Alpha is not perfect.
    Those notes are not faulty. Those notes were used during the movies and BTW a dark green can appear black if the lighting is weak.
    Captain / Commodore Dress Uniform - Gold
    Captain / Commodore Dress Uniform - Green
    Captain / Commodore Dress Uniform Skirt - Gold
    Captain / Commodore Dress Uniform Skirt - Green
    Well, thats only the Captain Dress Uniform. The Commodore Dress Uniform is slightly different:Commodore Stone in Dress Uniform
    Lieutenant / Lt. Commander Dress Uniform - Red
    Lieutenant / Lt. Commander Dress Uniform Skirt- Red
    That's also only the Lieutenant Commander Dress Uniform. The Dress Uniform for lieutenants and below lack the gold piping running down the front, but they wear the assignment patch and their rank insignia.
    edited March 2011
    Those notes are not faulty. Those notes were used during the movies and BTW a dark green can appear black if the lighting is weak.

Just watch the movie, you'll see. It's a brightly lit hallway and their collars are clearly black.
    Well, thats only the Captain Dress Uniform. The Commodore Dress Uniform is slightly different:Commodore Stone in Dress Uniform

That's also only the Lieutenant Commander Dress Uniform. The Dress Uniform for lieutenants and below lack the gold piping running down the front, but they wear the assignment patch and their rank insignia.

Well, those versions aren't available, are they? So, we have to make due with what we have. Stop being so nit-picky. If you don't like my choices don't use them. It's just a guide after all, a foundation on which you can build. Use what you like, dismiss the rest. It's not meant to be the end all be all of Trek canon. It can't be anyway with the limited color choices we have in-game.

Edit: And btw, the mission patches are unique to the individual and rank braids are never worn on Dress Uniforms.

edited March 2011
    I and many others appreciate the hard work you've put into this Blackavaar, the time taken to test the colours in different scenario's and doing the screen caps etc.
    STO is many things to many people, at the moment my Captain is in 2267, a few months down the line I may do the TNG era and your guide will be my first stop when I visit the Tailor. Thanks
    edited March 2011
    Just watch the movie, you'll see. It's a brightly lit hallway and their collars are clearly black.
    They are crewmen (or petty officers, you cannot see their rank insignia), so the collar of their uniform is always black. Here the color of the arm band and shoulder taps (which cannot be seen, because they wear the security armor first seen in TMP) is important. And this cannot be black, because in this case Flechter would have ignored his own notes.
    Well, those versions aren't available, are they? So, we have to make due with what we have. Stop being so nit-picky. If you don't like my choices don't use them. It's just a guide after all, a foundation on which you can build. Use what you like, dismiss the rest. It's not meant to be the end all be all of Trek canon. It can't be anyway with the limited color choices we have in-game.
    You are right. But if you call this a Guide to Canon Colors, then the colors should be canon. And uniform pieces which do not exists (yet) like TMP security armor, TOS female dres uniform, TWOK enlisted/trainee uniform etc. should be ignored.
    Edit: And btw, the mission patches are unique to the individual and rank braids are never worn on Dress Uniforms.[/COLOR]
    Wrong. We only seen one officer below Lieutenant Commander (except the Lieutenant in "The Savage Curtain", but that can clearly been interpreted as costume error, becaus ehe wore the same uniform as Scotty) and that was Lt. Areel Shaw. She wore the female version of the Lieutenant Dress Uniform. And here you can see rank insignia and assignment patch (Starfleet). The same episode suggests that Ensign and/or crewmen do not have a dress uniform.
    edited March 2011
    May I say Blackavaar, your guide is super awesome and especially the last round of uniforms, cheers.

Oh, and for watching TMP multiple times, here is a cookie (that is just brutal).
    edited March 2011
    They are crewmen (or petty officers, you cannot see their rank insignia), so the collar of their uniform is always black. Here the color of the arm band and shoulder taps (which cannot be seen, because they wear the security armor first seen in TMP) is important. And this cannot be black, because in this case Flechter would have ignored his own notes.

Yeah, petty officers wearing Security armored vests? Okay. I am not going to argue this point any longer.
    You are right. But if you call this a Guide to Canon Colors, then the colors should be canon. And uniform pieces which do not exists (yet) like TMP security armor, TOS female dres uniform, TWOK enlisted/trainee uniform etc. should be ignored.

When the appropriate parts are added to the game I always do updates. When these parts are added it will be the same. Until then we have to make due with what we have. Feel free to ignore whatever you don't like. I will not because I know some players want something to use for those types of characters. So, I will do the best I can to mock-up whatever I can in order to represent them in the game.

The TOS Technician coveralls aren't in the game either. So, should I remove the mock-ups I did using the Enterprise uniforms? I think not.

Wrong. We only seen one officer below Lieutenant Commander (except the Lieutenant in "The Savage Curtain", but that can clearly been interpreted as costume error, becaus ehe wore the same uniform as Scotty) and that was Lt. Areel Shaw. She wore the female version of the Lieutenant Dress Uniform. And here you can see rank insignia and assignment patch (Starfleet). The same episode suggests that Ensign and/or crewmen do not have a dress uniform.

Look, dude. I just watched the entirety of the TOS series over the last 6 days. Of the various episodes where Dress Uniforms appear only one of them, a female, wore rank braids. This leads me to believe that was specific to the female Dress Uniform, which again is currently unavailable. When it is added the guide will be updated appropriately.

And you're wrong. We also saw Lieutenant Dickerson in a Dress Uniform and it also had the gold piping down the front.

And you are right. Ensigns, crewmen and yeomen did not wear dress uniforms. The few that did dress up wore the Honor Guard uniforms, which were basically the standard Operations uniforms with the shirts tucked into a wide black belt.

edited March 2011
    LeBeck wrote:
    I and many others appreciate the hard work you've put into this Blackavaar, the time taken to test the colours in different scenario's and doing the screen caps etc.
    STO is many things to many people, at the moment my Captain is in 2267, a few months down the line I may do the TNG era and your guide will be my first stop when I visit the Tailor. Thanks

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.
    May I say Blackavaar, your guide is super awesome and especially the last round of uniforms, cheers.

Oh, and for watching TMP multiple times, here is a cookie (that is just brutal).

Oh, a cookie! Um num num num.

Thanks, William!

edited March 2011
    Blackavaar -

First off, fantastic job on the color guides and graphics. Those are IMO, real community treasures. Keep up the excellent work.

I was wondering, do you have any design guides for the ships themselves? I'm looking to get as close to canon on the Defiant-class as I can, but I can never seem to really nail the Defiant's on screen look. I'm thinking it's probably just the way the game's customization system is designed, but I also figured I'd ask the master anyway. Thanks in advance for any input :)

-Corris
    edited March 2011
    Sprint01 wrote:
    ...I was wondering, do you have any design guides for the ships themselves? ...
    Hiya Sprint01. I'll take the liberty and answer for Lord Blackavaar..

Yes, there is a ship guide, if you look in the OP under Special Sections you'll find the link to Canon Starship and Bridges Listings, linked here for your convenience. Enjoy!

Lord Blackavaar, I'm happy to see you've completed the TOS Guides. I'm at work and can't see the Photobuckets from here, but look forward to seeing/using them later. Thank you!
    edited March 2011

Yes, there is a ship guide, if you look in the OP under Special Sections you'll find the link to Canon Starship and Bridges Listings, linked here for your convenience. Enjoy!

Lord Blackavaar, I'm happy to see you've completed the TOS Guides. I'm at work and can't see the Photobuckets from here, but look forward to seeing/using them later. Thank you!

Thank you. I noticed the Material 2 and windows 3. That wins. What about the actual textures for actual painting in starfleet grey/blue and red? That's the one I'm having the most trouble with currently.
    edited March 2011
    Sprint01 wrote:
    Blackavaar -

First off, fantastic job on the color guides and graphics. Those are IMO, real community treasures. Keep up the excellent work.

I was wondering, do you have any design guides for the ships themselves? I'm looking to get as close to canon on the Defiant-class as I can, but I can never seem to really nail the Defiant's on screen look. I'm thinking it's probably just the way the game's customization system is designed, but I also figured I'd ask the master anyway. Thanks in advance for any input :)

-Corris

Thank you!

Refer to Vetinari's answer for a link to the Ship Listings.

Unfortunately the pattern that appears on the Defiant in the series is not available in-game. I've tried myself to represent this using the Gemini and Leo patterns but it just doesn't look right. I generally just use the Corvus pattern in a medium gray instead, which is what I suggest for most ship designs.

Hopefully someday they'll add a few more patterns to our selection and we'll be able to make the Defiant look properly canon.

You're welcome, Vetinari. And thank you.

edited March 2011
    I have just updated the TOS section of the Badges guide with the following:

TOS Command
    TOS Sciences
    TOS Medical
    TOS Operations

Dress Badge 1: Commodore Stone
    Dress Badge 2: Captain Kirk
    Dress Badge 3: Commander Spock
    Dress Badge 4: Doctor McCoy
    Dress Badge 5: Unknown

If anyone knows who wore Dress Badge 5 please let me know. I have not been able to pinpoint that one. It almost looks like Scotty's, but the right patch is the wrong color (should be blue) and the left patch should not be there.

Enjoy!

edited March 2011
    Yeah, petty officers wearing Security armored vests? Okay. I am not going to argue this point any longer.
    You can clearly see that both security officers in front of Spock's quarters in TSFS have red trousers and they both wear the armor used for the security officers in TMP. The same combination is used in TVH (example 1 & example 2
    ).
    And according to Flechter a black collar is typical for all enlisted (except trainees).
    When the appropriate parts are added to the game I always do updates. When these parts are added it will be the same. Until then we have to make due with what we have. Feel free to ignore whatever you don't like. I will not because I know some players want something to use for those types of characters. So, I will do the best I can to mock-up whatever I can in order to represent them in the game.

The TOS Technician coveralls aren't in the game either. So, should I remove the mock-ups I did using the Enterprise uniforms? I think not.
    No, because those are very close to canon while the TWOK enlisted uniform for example is clearly not.

Look, dude. I just watched the entirety of the TOS series over the last 6 days. Of the various episodes where Dress Uniforms appear only one of them, a female, wore rank braids. This leads me to believe that was specific to the female Dress Uniform, which again is currently unavailable. When it is added the guide will be updated appropriately.

And you're wrong. We also saw Lieutenant Dickerson in a Dress Uniform and it also had the gold piping down the front.

And you are right. Ensigns, crewmen and yeomen did not wear dress uniforms. The few that did dress up wore the Honor Guard uniforms, which were basically the standard Operations uniforms with the shirts tucked into a wide black belt.
    I consider Lieutenant Dickerson's dress uniform a costume error (something that happened in Star Trek very often) because he wore the same uniform as Scott and McCoy, and wrong rank insignia is one of the most common costume errors (the other is the wrong uniform color).

Dress Badge 5: Unknown

If anyone knows who wore Dress Badge 5 please let me know. I have not been able to pinpoint that one. It almost looks like Scotty's, but the right patch is the wrong color (should be blue) and the left patch should not be there.
    Its neither Scotts's nor Dickinson's because both have only three triangles. And all other characters wearing dress uniform wore either much more triangles or an assignment patch.
    edited March 2011
    You can clearly see that both security officers in front of Spock's quarters in TSFS have red trousers and they both wear the armor used for the security officers in TMP. The same combination is used in TVH (example 1 & example 2
    ).
    And according to Flechter a black collar is typical for all enlisted (except trainees).

No, because those are very close to canon while the TWOK enlisted uniform for example is clearly not.

I consider Lieutenant Dickerson's dress uniform a costume error (something that happened in Star Trek very often) because he wore the same uniform as Scott and McCoy, and wrong rank insignia is one of the most common costume errors (the other is the wrong uniform color).

Its neither Scotts's nor Dickinson's because both have only three triangles. And all other characters wearing dress uniform wore either much more triangles or an assignment patch.

That's McCoy's. It's been rotated, however, it should be blue, red, white, green (moving clockwise from the top).
    edited March 2011

Agreed.
    Mojo wrote: »
    That's McCoy's. It's been rotated, however, it should be blue, red, white, green (moving clockwise from the top).

It's not McCoy's either as that is already accounted for on Dress Badge 4. And the colors are exactly as they should be; purple, red, blue and green going clockwise from the top.

I will review the episodes again to be sure.

edited March 2011
    Agreed.

It's not McCoy's either as that is already accounted for on Dress Badge 4. And the colors are exactly as they should be; purple, red, blue and green going clockwise from the top.

I will review the episodes again to be sure.

It looks much the same, but flipped and rotated. Your badge 4 is more exact, you're cquite correct.

It is also entirely possible it is not from ANY particular uniform and might just be a Cryptic hodgepodge.
    edited March 2011
    Mojo wrote: »
    It looks much the same, but flipped and rotated. Your badge 4 is more exact, you're cquite correct.

It is also entirely possible it is not from ANY particular uniform and might just be a Cryptic hodgepodge.

That's what I'm thinking. It appears to be an amalgam of Scotty's and Dickerson's badges. Although that leaves me to wonder why they didn't just do Scotty's, unless perhaps they thought they may get some complaints about the lack of a Scarf and Kilt to go with it.

edited March 2011
    That's what I'm thinking. It appears to be an amalgam of Scotty's and Dickerson's badges. Although that leaves me to wonder why they didn't just do Scotty's, unless perhaps they thought they may get some complaints about the lack of a Scarf and Kilt to go with it.

Oh, you know that would happen (I'm suprised I haven't seen it yet!).
    edited March 2011
    It seems to me, that they used the triangles from Scotty's and Dickerson's dress uniforms to create this badge. The triangles a twelve o'clock and six o'clock aere identical to Scotty's, the other two can be found in Dickerson's.
    edited March 2011
    I wonder if making a mockup of the alternate universe uniforms is allowed? I think the AGT uniforms can make a pretty good Kelvin type uniform. Just a thought. :)
    edited March 2011
    I had the same idea. The AGT uniforms are very similiar to the Kelvin type uniforms which BTW are not from the alternate reality because they were introduced before Nero changed history.
    The ENT unifomrs can be used for many TOS and TNG overalls.
    The problem are those uniforms which do not have any close equivalents like the TWOK enlisted uniforms, the TNG skants, the TMP security armor etc.

I've created a skant version of the B-04 uniform by using the Nurse Split Skirt with amatching color.
    edited March 2011
    I had the same idea. The AGT uniforms are very similiar to the Kelvin type uniforms which BTW are not from the alternate reality because they were introduced before Nero changed history..

In my mind its from an alternate universe, no matter what has been said. It makes far more sense that they traveled back in time to an alternate reality than the prime timeline since there are already a bunch of things that don't fit in. (Just my own opinion)

And I was referring to the alternate TOS uniforms.
    The ENT unifomrs can be used for many TOS and TNG overalls.
    The problem are those uniforms which do not have any close equivalents like the TWOK enlisted uniforms, the TNG skants, the TMP security armor etc.

I've created a skant version of the B-04 uniform by using the Nurse Split Skirt with amatching color.

I know about the overall uniforms, they are in this guide. :)

I think Blackavaar makes the best equivalents of the uniforms possible :)
    edited March 2011
    In my mind its from an alternate universe, no matter what has been said. It makes far more sense that they traveled back in time to an alternate reality than the prime timeline since there are already a bunch of things that don't fit in. (Just my own opinion)
    I know, but if they had used a design more closely to the prte-TOS era, it would have looked unrealistic and anachronistic.
    And I was referring to the alternate TOS uniforms.
    Even those are easy to recreate, because most of them are similiar to the normal TOS uniforms. You only have to use the TOS medical tunic and nurse split skirt for the short sleeved female uniform, and the normal tunic and split skirt for the long sleeved version. And use the standard badges.

I know about the overall uniforms, they are in this guide. :)

I think Blackavaar makes the best equivalents of the uniforms possible :)
    I know, but in two cases he made poor choices. The first one is the use of the complete TWOk officers uniform to emulate the TWOK enlisted jumpsuit. The second is the TMP security uniform which should not be different than the other uniforms, because there is no way we coul drecreate the body armor security officers wore in TMP.
This discussion has been closed.