test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    The TNG Series and TNG Cadet uniforms have been updated. More to come.

:cool:
    edited March 2011
    The Counselor Troi Uniform updates are done and up. Note a minor change to Counselor Troi 4 updating the collar trim to a more canon gray rather than the black that was indicated before.

The other uniforms have simply been updated with the new badge graphics. The colors remain the same as before.

edited March 2011
    Would it be so hard for Cryptic to make a "default colors" option for all these uniforms so we don't have to kill ourselves like this?

I agree. It's a pain having to count down the squares of colours until I find the one used in Blackavaar's guides. Having the colours there right off from the start would make things a wee bit easier. There should be some sort of default setting for those fans who like to keep the colours strict to canon.
    edited March 2011
    The TNG Film and Red Squad updates are complete. Just a few more to go.

edited March 2011
    Alan_81 wrote: »
    I agree. It's a pain having to count down the squares of colours until I find the one used in Blackavaar's guides. Having the colours there right off from the start would make things a wee bit easier. There should be some sort of default setting for those fans who like to keep the colours strict to canon.

As I explained above that would be hard to do and would only be able to represent the standard canon uniforms at most. Any variants (medical, cadet, mirror) would still need to be manually set. Also, they would still be wrong anyway, because in canon Red does not equal Tactical and Gold does not equal Engineer.

Personally, I think that adding a color and number designation to each row and column like this to the in-game color pallet would make it easier.

edited March 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    The TNG Film and Red Squad updates are complete. Just a few more to go.

Great news! Thanks!. :)
    As I explained above that would be hard to do and would only be able to represent the standard canon uniforms at most. Any variants (medical, cadet, mirror) would still need to be manually set. Also, they would still be wrong anyway, because in canon Red does not equal Tactical and Gold does not equal Engineer.

Personally, I think that adding a color and number designation to each row and column like this to the in-game color pallet would make it easier.

Sorry about that. Had I seen your earlier post I wouldn't have brought this subject again. Your idea would make it easier and hope you or someone puts it forward as a suggestion to STO's PTB.

I don't suppose there's been anything from the devs about whether they have any plans to add changeable rank insignia to the TWOK uniforms? Given the freedom of uniform usage Starfleet have nowadays, I'd very much like one of my BO's to be a time transplanted officer from the late 23rd century and have him or her still wearing TWOK uniform but don't feel right having them in it and wearing the captain's rank insigna...unless I made them my XO or Chief Engineer just as Captain Spock was XO and Captain Scott was Chief Engineer to Captain Kirk on the Enterprise-A.
    edited March 2011

I think that would be a great idea! Have you bought this up with TPTB?

As it is now, I would very much like your permission to copy this for my personal use to better ID the existing colors. Would that be okay? :)

Paul
    edited March 2011
    Sorry about that. Had I seen your earlier post I wouldn't have brought this subject again. Your idea would make it easier and hope you or someone puts it forward as a suggestion to STO's PTB.

No worries, man. I have sugegsted it before, but it has been a while. Perhaps it is time to bring it up again.
    I don't suppose there's been anything from the devs about whether they have any plans to add changeable rank insignia to the TWOK uniforms? Given the freedom of uniform usage Starfleet have nowadays, I'd very much like one of my BO's to be a time transplanted officer from the late 23rd century and have him or her still wearing TWOK uniform but don't feel right having them in it and wearing the captain's rank insigna...unless I made them my XO or Chief Engineer just as Captain Spock was XO and Captain Scott was Chief Engineer to Captain Kirk on the Enterprise-A.

Nothing that I have seen. However, there is the possibility that such updates could be done along with the TOS pack, since the films count as part of TOS. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see the WoK uniform updated when the pack is released. If so, I'll have to update all of those guides as well, despite the fact that I think the new version of the belt buckle looks like TRIBBLE and doesn't look enough like the canon buckle. But then maybe they'll update that too. Hope hope.

Oh and by the by, the Voyager updates are up. Just have to fix the wallpapers now then I'll have time to finish a surprise for you all.

edited March 2011
    No worries, man. I have sugegsted it before, but it has been a while. Perhaps it is time to bring it up again.

I reckon so. It's certainly an idea that shouldn't just be allowed to fall by the wayside.
    Nothing that I have seen. However, there is the possibility that such updates could be done along with the TOS pack, since the films count as part of TOS. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see the WoK uniform updated when the pack is released. If so, I'll have to update all of those guides as well, despite the fact that I think the new version of the belt buckle looks like TRIBBLE and doesn't look enough like the canon buckle. But then maybe they'll update that too. Hope hope.

It's safe to say that there's a little bit of work needed on the WoK uniform but I'm sure the devs will provide the improvements in time.

Speaking of improvements...has there also been any word on the devs possibly letting the lines to blur between all the different uniforms by allowing, for instance, the rank insignias to be interchangeable between all the various uniforms? I'd very much like the opportunity to use the TOS rank braid on the TNG uniforms and...well...just basically mix it up more. I'm sure fans would welcome IDIC with the uniforms.

Oh and by the by, the Voyager updates are up. Just have to fix the wallpapers now then I'll have time to finish a surprise for you all.

Just looked at the VOY updates! Looking good! :D Can't wait to see what this surprise is that you've got in store. :)
    edited March 2011
    These are for the most part completely hypothetical mock-ups of Section 31 uniforms of all eras. The in-game Section 31 uniforms (also listed below) were used as a basis for extrapolation so they do have a somewhat tenuous foot in the game's own canon.

Sloan Uniform (DS9)

Section 31

TOS Special Ops / Section 31 Uniforms
    Note: There are no divisional colors for these uniforms. Divisions are indicated by badge alone.

Male
    Female

TNG and DS9 Section 31 Uniforms

TNG
    DS9

Bajoran Section 31 Uniform

AGT (All Good Things) Section 31 Uniforms.

Command
    Operations
    Sciences

25th Century Section 31 Uniforms.

Command Red
    Security/Engineering Gold
    Sciences Gray
    Medical Teal

Jupiter Uniforms

Section 31 Variant

Veteran

Section 31 Veteran Uniform

Vice Admiral Variant

Section 31 Vice Admiral

Academy Uniform

Section 31 Recruiter

More to come soon.

Enjoy!

edited March 2011
    Okay. The Wallpaper versions have been updated, but I realized last night that I still need to do the TNG Mirror Universe and TNG Film Dress Uniform updates. I will have those up ASAP.

In lieu of the surprise I promised (which will likely be posted by Monday) I have uploaded these theoretical AGT Section 31 mock-ups to be added to the Section 31 section when it is created. I hope you like them. Keep watching. More is on the way.

AGT Section 31 Command
    AGT Section 31 Operations
    AGT Section 31 Sciences

Enjoy!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Another winning bunch of guides there! Great stuff! Thanks! :cool:
    edited March 2011
    And surprise! You don't have to wait until Monday!

This set, inspired by the Star Trek: Destiny Trilogy (by David Mack) is just the beginning of the new Soft Canon Uniforms section.

Star Trek: Destiny uniforms.
    Note: This uniform may or may not be what was intended as the Dax uniform in ST: Destiny. Several images seem to verify it as so while others do not. Regardless, I thought it was a kool look, so I added it to the guide.

Command Red
    Sciences Blue
    Medical Blue-Green

Admiral's Uniform

Star Trek: Elite Force 2 uniforms

Elite Force Command
    Elite Force Operations
    Elite Force Sciences

Research and Development Uniforms

A05 Uniform
    A05 Project Leader Uniform
    B01 Uniform
    B01 Project Leader Uniform
    Jupiter 03 Uniform
    Jupiter 03 Project Leader Uniform
    Jupiter 05 Uniform
    Jupiter 05 Project Leader Uniform

Starfleet Marine Corps

Standard Duty Uniform
    Combat Uniform - Brown
    Combat Uniform - Gray
    Combat Uniform - Green
    Dress Blues

I hope you all like them.
    Enjoy!

edited March 2011
    Oh, and the TNG Film Dress (Diplomatic) Uniform updates are ready.

Have a great weekend!

edited March 2011
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Another winning bunch of guides there! Great stuff! Thanks! :cool:

Thanks, Alan. I'm glad you like them.

edited March 2011

This set, inspired by the Star Trek: Destiny Trilogy (by David Mack) is just the beginning of the new Soft Canon Uniforms section.

Command Red
    Sciences Blue
    Medical Blue-Green

Enjoy!

I don't recall a uniform change in the Destiny novels?

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/8/83/Book_losingpeace.jpg

The photo editing looks like garbage in this cover. Picard looks weird as heck and they have their pips on wrong.

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/1/1c/Gods_of_Night.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/0/01/Mere_Mortals.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/0/0f/Lost_Souls.jpg

Looks the same to me.
    edited March 2011
    I don't recall a uniform change in the Destiny novels?

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/8/83/Book_losingpeace.jpg

The photo editing looks like garbage in this cover. Picard looks weird as heck and they have their pips on wrong.

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/1/1c/Gods_of_Night.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/0/01/Mere_Mortals.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/0/0f/Lost_Souls.jpg

Looks the same to me.

Look closer at that Captain Dax cover. Or look at this.

edited March 2011
    Which uniform set does the in-game EMH wear?
    edited March 2011
    Nevermind me, I'm wrong...
    edited March 2011

Command Red
    Sciences Blue
    Medical Blue-Green

Enjoy!

I like 'em! Very cool!
    Oh, and the TNG Film Dress (Diplomatic) Uniform updates are ready.

Have a great weekend!

Great stuff!
    Thanks, Alan. I'm glad you like them.

I do indeed, sir!

Wow! How hot is Ezri there!

Uniform's okay. ;)
    edited March 2011
    After looking over it, it's a modified B4. The gray color seems to match Gray B9.

Edit: Well, I made as close as I could to the EMH's uniform. The boots are true black, except for the "tongue" which can be matched (or at least it appears to me).

I went with the B4 uniform, Color Config 1, First: B1 of the primary department colors (it looks like the EMH's might be 1 higher than this, but this is as close as they get), rest: Gray B9.

Pants: Mid Ankle, Panels and Pockets
    BW: B9, BW: B11, BW: B11, BW: B9

Boots: Leather
    BW: B12, BW: B10, BW: B12, BW: B8 (the B12 is the closest I could find, the dark gray is too blue and the dark 'black' isn't dark enough, looks like the boots are true black).

Examples:
    EMH
    Command Red
    Engineer Gold
    Science Blue
    Medical Teal
    edited March 2011
    Does the tutorial's EMH wear something different from the photonic referral officer? Just curious.
    edited March 2011

Dude, I'm pretty sure that's just the lighting on the cover. And if you look at the other books, its pretty clearly not white.

And where is that pic from? It looks like just a fan pic.
    edited March 2011
    Dude, I'm pretty sure that's just the lighting on the cover. And if you look at the other books, its pretty clearly not white.

Well, when you go to the site it's from, it's a redirect to the guy who designed the Aventine, and has done some work for the Ships of the Line calendar... I've looked at his site, and it looks like he does a bit of work for a Dutch Star Trek RP group on the side, in addition to just a bunch of Star Trek stuff in general. So while it is a bit more official than a random fan pic, it's still a fan pic. And the sub directory it's from looks like it's mostly works in progress of a space station, although it does include this other picture of Captain Dax: http://www.ewe-squad.com/station/captainezrismall.jpg Note the black shoulder pads.
    edited March 2011
    Okay. The Wallpaper versions have been updated, but I realized last night that I still need to do the TNG Mirror Universe and TNG Film Dress Uniform updates. I will have those up ASAP.

In lieu of the surprise I promised (which will likely be posted by Monday) I have uploaded these theoretical AGT Section 31 mock-ups to be added to the Section 31 section when it is created. I hope you like them. Keep watching. More is on the way.

AGT Section 31 Command
    AGT Section 31 Operations
    AGT Section 31 Sciences

Enjoy!

Hey, these look awesome! Thanks! If I ever use Section 31 in a Foundry mission I'll make them wear this.
    edited March 2011
    After looking over it, it's a modified B4. The gray color seems to match Gray B9.

Edit: Well, I made as close as I could to the EMH's uniform. The boots are true black, except for the "tongue" which can be matched (or at least it appears to me).

I went with the B4 uniform, Color Config 1, First: B1 of the primary department colors (it looks like the EMH's might be 1 higher than this, but this is as close as they get), rest: Gray B9.

Pants: Mid Ankle, Panels and Pockets
    BW: B9, BW: B11, BW: B11, BW: B9

Boots: Leather
    BW: B12, BW: B10, BW: B12, BW: B8 (the B12 is the closest I could find, the dark gray is too blue and the dark 'black' isn't dark enough, looks like the boots are true black).

Examples:
    EMH
    Command Red
    Engineer Gold
    Science Blue
    Medical Teal

Thanks, Invis. That will help me a lot with the guides.

Felderburg wrote: »
    Does the tutorial's EMH wear something different from the photonic referral officer? Just curious,

I'm working on the EMH guides now. I'm not entirely sure if they are the same either yet, but I'll let you know. They do look very similar from what I remember of the tutorial. I'm rolling up a new character to go through it again now.

Um, that's a pic from the photo shoot for that cover. It's just not the photo that was used. And even if it was just a fan pic, Nicole de Boer is wearing the uniform, isn't she? It's not just some random person in a Starfleet uniform. It's the actress herself.

Look, if you don't like the uniform, don't use it. I thought it was kool, so I made some guides for it.

For those who would like to know, I'm also working on the 25th century cadet guides now. They'll be up very soon.

edited March 2011
    No problem. I figured you were working on it, but wasn't sure if you had the referral EMH yet and it makes it much easier to have one in your party to compare to.

Quick question: Is the 200 day reward uniform option available for all team members like the diplomatic uniform reward or is it captain only like the Vice Admiral reward?
    edited March 2011
    No problem. I figured you were working on it, but wasn't sure if you had the referral EMH yet and it makes it much easier to have one in your party to compare to.

Quick question: Is the 200 day reward uniform option available for all team members like the diplomatic uniform reward or is it captain only like the Vice Admiral reward?

You mean the Veteran Jacket? Yeah, that's available to all of your BOffs as well.

edited March 2011

Thanks, Invis. That will help me a lot with the guides.

I'm working on the EMH guides now. I'm not entirely sure if they are the same either yet, but I'll let you know. They do look very similar from what I remember of the tutorial. I'm rolling up a new character to go through it again now.

Is it possible to recruit Holographic personnel? If so, I'll be sure to use those Hologram uniform guides for him or her.
    For those who would like to know, I'm also working on the 25th century cadet guides now. They'll be up very soon.

Great news, man! Look forward to seeing them! Can't wait to see what you're gonna come up with!

edited March 2011
    Um, that's a pic from the photo shoot for that cover. It's just not the photo that was used. And even if it was just a fan pic, Nicole de Boer is wearing the uniform, isn't she? It's not just some random person in a Starfleet uniform. It's the actress herself.

Look, if you don't like the uniform, don't use it. I thought it was kool, so I made some guides for it.

I'm just worried that if you just start putting up fan outfits in the "canon" section you'll lose your sticky.

No thats Nicole de Boer's Face on the uniform, that doesn't mean she was at a photoshoot wearing that uniform.

Most of those covers just use stock pics and photoshop them. And the other covers clearly show a different coloring. And if you are counting that as the uniform, why is the combadge gold when it is clearly purple in the pic?

http://www.rabittooth.com/StarTrekPhotoManipulations.htm

This is a fan editing that clearly shows how it is done. And if you've ever noticed, alot of covers have a similar look to them.
    edited March 2011
    There is a klingon in that collection that made me suddenly desire to see a group of Klingons doing Reggae.

peter
This discussion has been closed.