Install Arc
Options

Power Hue Disabled!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    I've been thinking. If i accept the thought of having an ingame mod that allows me to see what i want but is regular for everyone else, then it's still an issue.

Because it means i have to keep my weapons in secret hidden, and i don't like hiding, esp because a bunch of people are upset it's not canon. There fore i take it back, this should be a total game option, just like before. People will just have to learn to live with it.

That and I believe it will force a new level of difficulty into pvp.

And I think this idea is completely TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Look, In star trek the color of you weapons identify you as a specific faction, don't get me wrong I liked the ability to change my weapon power hues, however the fact that weapons have a specific color, allows a player to identify what kind of damage is being done to them. I am sure that has been said already earlier in this thread, However you have to think rationally about the physics of this game. Though I think there are other things that Cryptic should be focusing on than this power hue issue, (Full ship movement for example) I completely understand why they removed this function.

When they start adding more factions and different weapons I am sure the this will not be an issue any more for that there is already a limited color selection with weapons, Blue Green Purple Orange and so on soon I am sure that there will be you pink colored weapons and that may be a transphasic array who knows.

My official opinion on this is: there are alot more pressing issues that need to be addressed in this game. No customizable power hue is fine for me, just give me full 3D movement in my ship and a first person view in ground combat, and maybe in ship view as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    St.Sinner wrote:
    And I think this idea is completely TRIBBLE.

Your opinion and your allowed to have it. But why should I give when the other side won't? And it's still not giving me a real answer to why they should keep it out.

Umrathama wrote: »
    ,However you have to think rationally about the physics of this game. Though I think there are other things that Cryptic should be focusing on than this power hue issue, (Full ship movement for example) I completely understand why they removed this function.

My official opinion on this is: there are alot more pressing issues that need to be addressed in this game. No customizable power hue is fine for me, just give me full 3D movement in my ship and a first person view in ground combat, and maybe in ship view as well.

The reason i'm pushing this so hard is it's a simple change. I'm not arguing in any way shape or form that there are bigger issues, but when activating something the was already in game is a simple code change, or for all i know even a simple checkbox in the controls of the game, then i see no issue in reactivating it. Thats my point, if it's quick and simple and it will add some fun to the game without a lot of problems, why not do it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shameless bump
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To the OP: YOU DON'T SPEAK FOR ME.

With that said, I find it funny that the OP says that "a lot" of people want this ability. Yet, if you go back through this thread, you will find that the OP has made the vast majority of posts. IF "a lot" of people want it, let them post it and say so themselves. The only reason that I see this thread continuing is because the OP will just argue it ad nausium.

So, to that end, I will not reply to anything the OP says.....see the first line of this post for whatever he may say.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've been thinking. If i accept the thought of having an ingame mod that allows me to see what i want but is regular for everyone else, then it's still an issue.

Because it means i have to keep my weapons in secret hidden, and i don't like hiding, esp because a bunch of people are upset it's not canon. There fore i take it back, this should be a total game option, just like before. People will just have to learn to live with it.

That and I believe it will force a new level of difficulty into pvp.

Well you just ruined all your chances of getting it :)

And your argument that you dont want to 'hide' your weapons? are your weapons marching for TRIBBLE pride or something? puleeze :P
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    People will just have to learn to live with it..

No, I'm afraid you will have to learn to live with properly colored weapons.

You realize of course that the chances of an exploitable bug with an actual effect on PvP balance will never be re-implemented?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, I'm afraid you will have to learn to live with properly colored weapons.

You realize of course that the chances of an exploitable bug with an actual effect on PvP balance will never be re-implemented?

I cant beleive they wouldnt even agree to a compromise, where they could see the weapon colours, but we dont have too.

Effectivly they are saying "This is what I want, and I dont care what people think, because I want it!"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I cant beleive they wouldnt even agree to a compromise, where they could see the weapon colours, but we dont have too.

Effectivly they are saying "This is what I want, and I dont care what people think, because I want it!"

I could get behind a compromise like that, its rare that I don't do some form of client-side experience alteration to a game at some point for my own enjoyment.

I could even get behind a system where you can make minor changes to your weapon color, like different shades of 'phaser orange' for phasers etc....

But me having to see someone else's pink phasers?

Over my dead body.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I could get behind a compromise like that, its rare that I don't do some form of client-side experience alteration to a game at some point for my own enjoyment.

I could even get behind a system where you can make minor changes to your weapon color, like different shades of 'phaser orange' for phasers etc....

But me having to see someone else's pink phasers?

Over my dead body.
    You mean like's Kahn's phasers, they were pink. He was a big sissy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Client side software will never happen because it's considered 3rd party and almost all MMO's see that as an attempt to hack into the game. EQ had them, got banned, AO had them but funcom was allowed to see the code and make sure it was safe to use, most companies aren't that generous.

Chances of you making anything to modify the game in anyway and not get yourself banned, minimal.

But like I said, I'd compromise if the other would but the others won't, so why should I?

And as I pointed out, taking away the color scheme would make PVP truely hard, because you wouldn't know what the other weapon was for, and THAT would make PVP fun. I don't intend to play PVP as long as it's easy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Client side software will never happen because it's considered 3rd party and almost all MMO's see that as an attempt to hack into the game. EQ had them, got banned, AO had them but funcom was allowed to see the code and make sure it was safe to use, most companies aren't that generous.

Chances of you making anything to modify the game in anyway and not get yourself banned, minimal.

But like I said, I'd compromise if the other would but the others won't, so why should I?

And as I pointed out, taking away the color scheme would make PVP truely hard, because you wouldn't know what the other weapon was for, and THAT would make PVP fun. I don't intend to play PVP as long as it's easy.

World Of Warcraft has HUNDREDS of 3rd party apps that are approved by the dev team.

You will NEVER get coloured weapons any other way, it doesnt matter if every person in the game wants coloured weapons, CBS/Paramount would not allow Cryptic to do it, so you are fighting a lost cause.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It would definitely look quite shiny, but there might be people who are uncomfortable with being killed by awesome pink phasers^^
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Umrathama wrote: »
    Look, In star trek the color of you weapons identify you as a specific faction, don't get me wrong I liked the ability to change my weapon power hues, however the fact that weapons have a specific color, allows a player to identify what kind of damage is being done to them. I am sure that has been said already earlier in this thread, However you have to think rationally about the physics of this game. Though I think there are other things that Cryptic should be focusing on than this power hue issue, (Full ship movement for example) I completely understand why they removed this function.

When they start adding more factions and different weapons I am sure the this will not be an issue any more for that there is already a limited color selection with weapons, Blue Green Purple Orange and so on soon I am sure that there will be you pink colored weapons and that may be a transphasic array who knows.

Yes, all that stuff would be nice to have developed too. That doesn't mean it's any less important to people, like myself, that planned on suggesting the feature before finding out that it was already there. If they put powerhue back, and gave everyone (by default) client side option to see default colors of everything. I'd be happy. We all know powerhue was there, it worked, unintended or not. We all know they have the ability to set the weapons to default colors... considering they did it. I don't need some full featured color change system right... just asking for something that helped my immersion to the game that was taken away. Something I actually was typing on the forums when I decided to search and see if there was something I missed first.... that's when I found powerhue and was happy. STILL don't get that if you don't see it, what's it matter? The only complaint that is close to valid is (basically) what you've said here. You'd rather have the Dev time spent elsewhere. While I agree all of those things need work and should get worked on, don't belittle the desires of others simply because YOU don't want it or don't care if it's there or not. Others do care.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    World Of Warcraft has HUNDREDS of 3rd party apps that are approved by the dev team.

You will NEVER get coloured weapons any other way, it doesnt matter if every person in the game wants coloured weapons, CBS/Paramount would not allow Cryptic to do it, so you are fighting a lost cause.

With as much as they've allowed so far. I find that truly hard to believe.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Someone said that everything's been said, but I'll bet that no one has yet mentioned that a possible contributing factor to this features remo is that it was too similar to Star Wars color crystals, and that they don't want to get sued for having too similar ideas that could be misconstrued as stealing, which Lucas is wayyyy to sensitive about, they're not the only sci fi players in the game, they need to step back and look and look at the bigger picture, it's a growing world, and great minds think alike. Don't get me wrong I'm not choosing sides Iove both stories and most all other sci fi stories equally. Besides, with the way their galaxy's economy was going, I'd go so far as to pose a guess; everyone in that galaxy is dead now? You be the judge :P
  • Options
    edited February 2010

And you see how good of a game WoW is?? Seriously how many of theose apps actually affect your game play, and not just do things like read out stats and team information?
    Norry wrote: »
    just asking for something that helped my immersion to the game that was taken away. Something I actually was typing on the forums when I decided to search and see if there was something I missed first.... that's when I found powerhue and was happy. STILL don't get that if you don't see it, what's it matter? The only complaint that is close to valid is (basically) what you've said here. You'd rather have the Dev time spent elsewhere. While I agree all of those things need work and should get worked on, don't belittle the desires of others simply because YOU don't want it or don't care if it's there or not. Others do care.

Your right, 100% that's the only thing said in the 30 odd pages of people going back and forth that could be an obvious reason. But as i've stated before the change is extremely simple, to the point where it's almost a check box in the game options because when you try it you get a message saying "power hue has been disabled". To me that says that this is something that is very easily turned on and off. Not to mention it's a feature in CoH.

So if it's such an easy thing, the time it will take to turn it back on is almost nothing. So turn it on and got back to the other problems. I see no real problem here.

The only issue I see is the people on the other side of the fence who are so ashamed of themselves and scared of their sexuality that pink phasers deeply disturbers them. Otherwise we have no real answers as to why people don't want to let us have different colors.

And please people don't tell me it's an IP thing again, you have no proof of CBS telling Cryptic to shut the colors down. If your going to tell me it's canon, you've completely missed the point of star trek to begin with.

Anyone have a real and good answer that will make me walk away from keeping this post active?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heres a good reason for them not doing it that you keep missing. Cryptic doesn't want it. They said it wasn't supposed to be there. Drop it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Besides, with the way their galaxy's economy was going, I'd go so far as to pose a guess; everyone in that galaxy is dead now? You be the judge :P

naa, it's obvious. Klingons and storm troopers have something in common. They're built in the same factory, just got a different paint job :P
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mikona wrote:
    Heres a good reason for them not doing it that you keep missing. Cryptic doesn't want it. They said it wasn't supposed to be there. Drop it.

ahhh,.. No.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mikona wrote:

I want my ship to be a huge TRIBBLE. And I want EVERYONE TO BE ABLE TO SEE IT!!!

Now if you have a problem with that, then obiously you are obiously some kind of fun killer, or have something against turds.

And dont tell me it would be against IP, no one knows for SURE if Paramount/CBS would be against this.

In addition to this, I want all my torpedos to be turds, and I want EVERYONE to see them hitting thier ships with a 'wet splat' sound effect.

If you dont like it, you'll just have to learn to live with it.

If you have any good reason why I should stop asking for these changes, please tell me. Otherwise I will keep campainging for Turds!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And you see how good of a game WoW is?? Seriously how many of theose apps actually affect your game play, and not just do things like read out stats and team information?

Most WoW mods take away from the game and actually reduce gameplay to borderline cheating. People running six accounts linked to one client at the same time using all insta abilities is garbage. Then there are the mods that play the game for you and automate things like targeting, buffing, and other tasks. The only mods that are good are UI Mods that improve the interface and functionality without a big performance hit. The less mods with STO the better.

Your right, 100% that's the only thing said in the 30 odd pages of people going back and forth that could be an obvious reason. But as i've stated before the change is extremely simple, to the point where it's almost a check box in the game options because when you try it you get a message saying "power hue has been disabled". To me that says that this is something that is very easily turned on and off. Not to mention it's a feature in CoH.

More people prefer this function disabled for the exact reasons they have given in this thread.

So if it's such an easy thing, the time it will take to turn it back on is almost nothing. So turn it on and got back to the other problems. I see no real problem here.

The only issue I see is the people on the other side of the fence who are so ashamed of themselves and scared of their sexuality that pink phasers deeply disturbers them. Otherwise we have no real answers as to why people don't want to let us have different colors.

And please people don't tell me it's an IP thing again, you have no proof of CBS telling Cryptic to shut the colors down. If your going to tell me it's canon, you've completely missed the point of star trek to begin with.

No toggle needed this is Star Trek and the weapons look exactly the way they should. It has nothing to do with sexuality. The colors represent a specific weapon system and I'm sorry but pink lasers look lame no matter what game your playing. Again let me remind you these weapon systems are already defined including their colors and have massive tactical value.
    Anyone have a real and good answer that will make me walk away from keeping this post active?

See above or read your thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Otherwise we have no real answers as to why people don't want to let us have different colors.

Because it looks horrible and we dont want to have to look at TRIBBLE TRIBBLE garish colours flying across the screen like some kind of demented rainbow?

You are a hypocrit by insisting you want something your way, yet insisting that you would not comprimise on only 'you' having to look at it.

Why on earth would you inist that people have to look at your custom colour phasers? do you crave attention that much?

You cant have it both ways.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If you have any good reason why I should stop asking for these changes, please tell me. Otherwise I will keep campainging for Turds!

If thats what you want to do for fun, but i don't think your argument holds any merit on the simple fact there is nothing star trek about "turds". Where as phaser color is definitely a relative issue.

Please don't use my own arguments back on me, if your not sharp enough to come up with a good argument as to why i should drop this whole topic here and now, don't put pen to paper or in this case don't bother posting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If thats what you want to do for fun, but i don't think your argument holds any merit on the simple fact there is nothing star trek about "turds". Where as phaser color is definitely a relative issue.

Please don't use my own arguments back on me, if your not sharp enough to come up with a good argument as to why i should drop this whole topic here and now, don't put pen to paper or in this case don't bother posting.

You just shot yourself in the foot. There was never any 'issue' about coloured phasers being in trek, they have never been in trek, and never will be in trek.

Alls that happend was a bug that carried over from another game engine, one that has been corrected, there was never any debate that it was put there in the first place.

So you argument is exactly the same as the TRIBBLE analogy.

QED.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It’s a feature in cox and in champions. To be frank the only reason it was in sto was because they forgot to turn it off, that doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea though. I do want it back and there are ways to get around the problems of having random color weapons as a game play mechanic. These do take time though, and the fact that there is already so much more in the pipe means that it will take some time before it’s addressed. I do hope it’s addressed though it it’s a great option that has some advantages besides just being cool looking.

As for the licensing thing there’s no way of knowing either way outside of having a collection of lawyers and executives from all parties involved none of us would understand what’s written in their 1000’s of pages contract. Not to mention even if we thought we did its still up to debate that’s what corporate lawyers build their careers out of. So I’m going to assume it could be changed with no problems because its not been said otherwise.

A client side option would be a nice way of letting it work. I think it would be better for it to be an on or off. So it’s either I see everybody’s wacky colors or I don’t rather then I only see my options and nobody else’s. Why do I say this, because then you can start using special color to distinguish attacks from particular ships or groups of ships in stuff like fleet actions. I can see this being a big plus to the guys that like to coordinate and have assigned groups like in raids. The other reason is I like to see what other people come up with in color schemes for their ships and weapon color variation can be construed as an extension of that.

A the end of the day a lot of these threads just seem to turn into a debate some times more an outright fist fight don’t get why really. None of us have the power to say this will or won’t happen. I really wish companies would just do in game questioners every once in a while. You log in and get a little form with 3-5 quick multiple choose question maybe one write in every blue moon. it would give them better idea of what people want in the game then us guys arguing about it on the forum. The accepted thinking is we are a very small and skewed portion of the games population. You have to look at our posts with an obtuse set of eye to be able to read anything out of it on a grand scale or sacrifice a small goat. The added bonus of a questionnaire is that even if the submit button does nothing more than say thank you and just wipe the data. It makes people think their being listened to and actually have some input. The old adage is hope is the last to die. I’m surprised more companies don’t take advantage of that.

Maybe I’m wrong who knows I like to argue as much as the next guy. On with pink pew pew debate.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if some one is launching viral matrix at me i want to know so i can counter it. i want things to stay standard colors.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lothandros wrote:
    Most WoW mods take away from the game and actually reduce gameplay to borderline cheating. People running six accounts linked to one client at the same time using all insta abilities is garbage. Then there are the mods that play the game for you and automate things like targeting, buffing, and other tasks. The only mods that are good are UI Mods that improve the interface and functionality without a big performance hit. The less mods with STO the better.

Thank you for the clarification, my experience in WoW is limited. Either way i will agree with you that less mods are better.

Lothandros wrote:
    More people prefer this function disabled for the exact reasons they have given in this thread.

Just because they don't like it is no reason for me not to. If i can turn it on, there should be no reason they can't keep it turned off.

Lothandros wrote:
    No toggle needed this is Star Trek and the weapons look exactly the way they should. It has nothing to do with sexuality. The colors represent a specific weapon system and I'm sorry but pink lasers look lame no matter what game your playing. Again let me remind you these weapon systems are already defined including their colors and have massive tactical value.

No they look exactly they way they did at the begining of TNG. By the time TNG was complete we had actually rotated through a couple combination including a couple colors. (The best of both worlds as mentioned).

As to the "massive" tactical value I disagree. Common knowledge enough to make it almost make it a cheat. In PVP it's "Oh he's hitting me with red phasers i should watch my shields". In PVE it's not as big a deal. But if you look at it from a difficulty stand point you can make PVP truly difficult if you can't tell what he's hitting you with.

Plus the simple fact is, you know what your weapons are and what they are suppose to do, why do you care what color they display?
    Lothandros wrote:
    See above or read your thread.

You have good points, but not a real reason for them to actually reactivate powerhue.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Because it looks horrible and we dont want to have to look at TRIBBLE TRIBBLE garish colours flying across the screen like some kind of demented rainbow?

Some people say davinci was a horrible painter. That don't stop them from hanging his painting in the lueve(sp) in Paris. Just cause you think it's bad is not a real reason. Just cause you don't like the ford escape is not reason enough for ford to stop producing it.
    You are a hypocrite by insisting you want something your way, yet insisting that you would not compromise on only 'you' having to look at it.

Actually if you read through the posts YOU TYPED you would remember I originally agreed to putting in a mod so i could see it alone. But you and others still refused to compromise, so why should I? Don't going around calling me a hypocrite when your the one trying to dance in circles around the topic.
    You cant have it both ways.
    [/quote]

No comment err ahh... see above.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

A client side option would be a nice way of letting it work. I think it would be better for it to be an on or off. So it’s either I see everybody’s wacky colors or I don’t rather then I only see my options and nobody else’s. Why do I say this, because then you can start using special color to distinguish attacks from particular ships or groups of ships in stuff like fleet actions. I can see this being a big plus to the guys that like to coordinate and have assigned groups like in raids. The other reason is I like to see what other people come up with in color schemes for their ships and weapon color variation can be construed as an extension of that.

Maybe I’m wrong who knows I like to argue as much as the next guy. On with pink pew pew debate.

That's a very good point I never thought of what it could mean for raid groups.