test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power Hue Disabled!!!!!!!

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    dstahl wrote: »

The second issue is, during numerous CBS approvals, we've reviewed details down to the types of labels on turbolift doors. I don't think purple or pink phasers are going to fly with them when we've been asked to update things far less noticeable than that.

and that right there is about as serious a reason as it can get
    cant argue with the owner of the IP
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    PVP in this game is going to be so dull, if you know how to react to weapon fire. boring

As to CBS approvals, i don't believe it. Because honestly i don't believe you. I still intend to push this and i still intend to take it to cryptic.

And I intend to continue to argue against it, completely canceling out your argument.
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of CBS approvals, did CBS approve of all ship bridges and interior sets being from the Land of the Giants?
    Well? Did they?
    edited February 2010
    Um... in Star Trek Online? Is this a trick question? Or are you unaware that you can not only use Polaron beams, but Starfleet apparently has them in stock ready to hand out to it's captains right in Earth Starbase (it's where I get my level X Polaron stuff).

:D

No, I said in "Trek."

;)
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of CBS approvals, did CBS approve of all ship bridges and interior sets being from the Land of the Giants?
    Well? Did they?

Because size differences are 100% equivalent to rainbow phasers. :rolleyes:

I don't hold this against you, though. Learning to accept defeat can be hard for all sorts of people.
    edited February 2010
    And if you absolutley need proof random power fluctuations will change the color of the phasers

In star trek The next Generation Season 3 episode 26, time index 19 minutes 45 seconds.

IT's IN TNG that makes it CANON.
    edited February 2010
    PVP in this game is going to be so dull, if you know how to react to weapon fire. boring

As to CBS approvals, i don't believe it. Because honestly i don't believe you. I still intend to push this and i still intend to take it to cryptic.

LMAO!

Do you even play the game man?

What rank are you LOL?!? (I actually laughed out loud when I realized how you're always here campaigning for things in a game you apparently don't even play -- cause you're too busy lobbying LOL!!)

Good lord, I've been playing many hours, every day (but 2) since launch, and I'm only Captain 9.

DO YOU EVEN PLAY?!? '

:D
    edited February 2010
    "Great news! We previously mentioned that we might not be able to let you explore your ship interiors at launch. But your feedback really made it clear to us that being able to walk around inside your ship is a crucial piece of the Star Trek experience. With that in mind, you'll be able to walk around on your bridge at launch."

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=33614

All of that said, I still dont want rainbow phasers. I just dont support lame arguments :p

Well maybe I didn't specify my premises clearly enough for you.
    The second issue is, during numerous CBS approvals, we've reviewed details down to the types of labels on turbolift doors. I don't think purple or pink phasers are going to fly with them when we've been asked to update things far less noticeable than that.

Premise 1; Cryptic has restrictions placed on them by a higher power.

Premise 2; It is logical to assume that as much as they like player feedback that they will not ressurect a *bug* that goes against CBS approval.

Premise 3; Cryptic is unlikely to do something that will result in an unbalance of PvP.

Conclusion 1; They are extremely unlikely to care that a minority of players want the power-hue back.

Conclusion 2; Think more carefully before assuming an argument is lame. ;)
    edited February 2010
    The real issue is that game mechanics rely on players being able to discern types of energy damage based on the visual fx of the attack. It greatly impacts PVP as players need to quickly identify threats based on the type of damage or attacks they are using. From a design stand point, allowing color customization is the same problem as allowing a Borg cube to change costume into a Danube Shuttlecraft but deal the same amount of damage.

It was a fun bug, but I really don't see this coming back. Sorry.

What about limited hues of already canon colors? Darker or lighter colored phasers within the orange range....or something to this effect?
    edited February 2010
    And if you absolutley need proof random power fluctuations will change the color of the phasers

In star trek The next Generation Season 3 episode 26, time index 19 minutes 45 seconds.

IT's IN TNG that makes it CANON.

No, tell me the actual episode and scene.

Ha ha, don't tell me YOU CAN'T!

:p

(you don't gotta tell me, cause I knew long ago you couldn't)

;)
    edited February 2010
    Well maybe I didn't specify my premises clearly enough for you.

Premise 1; Cryptic has restrictions placed on them by a higher power.

Premise 2; It is logical to assume that as much as they like player feedback that they will not ressurect a *bug* that goes against CBS approval.

Premise 3; Cryptic is unlikely to do something that will result in an unbalance of PvP.

Conclusion 1; They are extremely unlikely to care that a minority of players want the power-hue back.

Conclusion 2; Think more carefully before assuming an argument is lame. ;)

Sorry, but the CBS excuse just doesnt make sense. If it were really true, then theres no way we would be able to have the wildly colorful uniforms we do in game. Thats a contradiction in logic. Thats why the argument is lame ;)
    edited February 2010
    Because size differences are 100% equivalent to rainbow phasers. :rolleyes:

I don't hold this against you, though. Learning to accept defeat can be hard for all sorts of people.

In terms of canon they're exactly the same.
    If Picard had to use the type of Galaxy or Sovereign bridges available in game he'd have to use a megaphone just to tell the helsman to go to warp.
    And don't get me started on the doors.

I'm sorry, but any CBS suits so anally retentive as to have an issue with pink phasers would look at those doors and slap Cryptic across the room.
    edited February 2010
    ArykGrev wrote: »
    No, tell me the actual episode and scene.

Ha ha, don't tell me YOU CAN'T!

:p

(you don't gotta tell me, cause I knew long ago you couldn't)

;)

I recall such a scene in "The Best of Both Worlds, part one", Shelby tells Data to remodulate the phasers faster than the Borg can adapt, we briefly see the phaser beams turning green and blue.
    edited February 2010
    And again at 38 minutes and 30 seconds when data is firing a hand phaser at a distribution node. There is very little orange almost all white.

That would technically mean that if you pushed the phasers into a high frequency range they would go white, you pushed them low they would go dark.

There's your canon people.
    edited February 2010
    By the way, in TOS, phasers were blue.
    In the TOS movies, phasers were red.

Canon proof that phasers can be different colours than puke orange.

And that's not even getting into how in the original TOS effects, phasers could be blue, white, red, orange AND YES, PINKISH. Though you can put that down to inconsistant/poor effects. Still, it did happen.
    edited February 2010
    edited February 2010
    Sorry, but the CBS excuse just doesnt make sense. If it were really true, then theres no way we would be able to have the wildly colorful uniforms we do in game. Thats a contradiction in logic. Thats why the argument is lame ;)

How do the uniforms invalidate the argument?

The uniforms could have easily been a concession of some sort, or CBS could have (correctly) assumed that some people would choose 'normal' uniform colors over the possible odd ones.

Starfleet allowing someone to wear new Uniforms is a very different situation than Starfleet coming up with a pieces of tech that changes your beam color to a vastly different one for no reason.

IE customizable uniforms make sense despite the oddball ones, customizable weapons (to such a high degree) do not.

You may wish to stop now ;)
    edited February 2010
    Until there is an option for me to turn it off on my screen, I'm happy its gone and really has no relevance or affect on game play.
    edited February 2010
    Obviously CBS approved the uniforms. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

So they approved pink and green starfleet uniforms, and for that matter pretty pink patterns on Federation starships, but not pink weapons.

Does not compute.
    edited February 2010

IE customizable uniforms make sense despite the oddball ones, customizable weapons (to such a high degree) do not.

Phaser frequency modulation is canon.
    Phaser frequency modulation altering beam colour is canon.
    Phasers being different colours is canon.

Exactly how is this impossible to you?
    edited February 2010
    ELITE-Kaos wrote: »
    COPYRIGHT ISSUE or are you unaware that Star Trek is a licensed IP from C.B.S.? Cryptic HAVE to use the weapon colours and textures as prescribed by C.B.S. or they will be in breach of copyright which would be very costly.

Yet it is ok if a Federation ship fires green disruptors? ...
    In Star Trek weapon color is supposed to tell you who fires, not what type of weapon it is.

orange/red/blue = Federation
    darker green = Romulan (Disruptors/Plasma Torpedoes)
    Cardassian = yellow (Disruptors/Photon and Plasma Torpedoes)
    Dominion = purple/dark blue (Phased Polaron Beam/Pulse)
    brighter green = Borg (Disruptors/Laser/Tractorbeam/Graviton Torpedoes)
    red = Klingon (Disruptors) (though they started mixing it up since there were supposed to be Romulans in ST3)

Also im pretty sure there were ships with blue disruptors in Voyager.

No reason disruptors should be green. Cardassians can make yellow ones.
    Why should Plasma torpedoes be green? Again Cardassians have yellow ones.
    Why should Photon torpedoes by red? Klingons had green ones.
    Why should disruptor rifles fire green? Klingons had red ones, and Cardassians had yellow ones.
    Why should phasers be always orange? Bajorans and Ferengi had yellow ones.

Why shouldnt the Federation have orange or whatever disruptors then?
    Well they shouldnt have disruptors at all but whatever ... maybe they are more effective because Klingons adjusted their shields again phasers.

also:
    I recall such a scene in "The Best of Both Worlds, part one", Shelby tells Data to remodulate the phasers faster than the Borg can adapt, we briefly see the phaser beams turning green and blue.
    edited February 2010
    Phaser frequency modulation is canon.
    Phaser frequency modulation altering beam colour is canon.
    Phasers being different colours is canon.

Exactly how is this impossible to you?

Turning it pink for long periods being beneficial to the function of the weapon is impossible to me.

I can see mild alterations making sense based on tweaks to frequency....
    I can not see a beneficial reason for tweaking things to such a degree that the color changes beyond completing an oddball mission objective via a jerry-rigged solution.
    edited February 2010

Because if CBS is so worried about things "looking right", that flys right in the face of that worry.
    The uniforms could have easily been a concession of some sort, or CBS could have (correctly) assumed that some people would choose 'normal' uniform colors over the possible odd ones.

And they could have also assumed that some people would choose the "normal" weapon colors over the possible odd ones.
    Starfleet allowing someone to wear new Uniforms is a very different situation than Starfleet coming up with a pieces of tech that changes your beam color to a vastly different one for no reason.

You mean like how Starfleet allowing their captains to swap their standard Federation equiptment for the first thing they loot from an enemy ship they destory "makes sense"?

See above comments.
    You may wish to stop now ;)

Why would I? You are entertainment for me; no more, no less :o
    edited February 2010
    Turning it pink for long periods being beneficial to the function of the weapon is impossible to me.

I can see mild alterations making sense based on tweaks to frequency....
    I can not see a beneficial reason for tweaking things to such a degree that the color changes beyond completing an oddball mission objective via a jerry-rigged solution.

Yes, you're probably right.
    However, I see no reason as to why a Federation officer would go to a tailor and have their uniform colours changed to pink, green and white. Or wear uniforms that were phased out a century ago. Or wear uniforms from the Mirror Universe. Or even be allowed to and not immediately given a stern lecture by a senior officer.
    This being the same starfleet that reprimands you for having scuffed boots or wearing Bajoran earrings.
    edited February 2010
    So they approved pink and green starfleet uniforms, and for that matter pretty pink patterns on Federation starships, but not pink weapons.

Does not compute.

Of course it doesn't. You're not interested in the process at CBS, you're just interested in hearing what you want to hear.

Here's something for you: perhaps they decided that they were willing to bend on some matters, but not others? If you were actually thinking things through, instead of ranting and raving, you'd have considered this.

But since we're just shooting the breeze after the hammer has come down, how does it feel to be so passionate about something that simply isn't going to change? How do you deal with the fact that no matter how much you argue, you're on the wrong side of the issue and will simply have to deal with things? Enjoy the futility of your lost cause, because many of us are enjoying the way you react to it.
    edited February 2010
    There are really only two things to take away from this thread.

1) Powerhue is gone.
    2) Powerhue is not coming back.

Everything else is just noise and sour grapes.
    edited February 2010
    Vexiom wrote:
    There are really only two things to take away from this thread.

1) Powerhue is gone.
    2) Powerhue is not coming back.

Everything else is just noise and sour grapes.

Yes, but for some reason the noise entertains me. I think it's because all the nerdraging is infused with Star Trek citations and references (i.e., Trek nerdspeak).

*munches popcorn*
    edited February 2010
    Yes, but for some reason the noise entertains me. I think it's because all the nerdraging is infused with Star Trek citations and references (i.e., Trek nerdspeak).

*munches popcorn*

It isn't even that. The raging comes down to citing production and VFX goofs in an attempt to gain legitimacy. I mean, I normally don't take pleasure in the misfortune of others, but the pink phaser crowd desperately grasping at straws is making me reconsider that stance.
    edited February 2010
    Why would I? You are entertainment for me; no more, no less :o

Funny.... I was thinking the same thing :)

Now that we are all entertained I must question why you can not accept the given dev response?
    (I honestly want a straight up answer)

Is it because you think they're outright lying about CBS looking over their shoulder?

Is it because you honestly think you can sway them?

Also... why would you want to invalidate half of the reward of getting a new weapon?
    1 half the reward is the increased ability to do damage, the other 1 half is the cool new way it looks.
    power-hue essentially strips half the benefit.

Lastly, stop confusing me with CBS.
    Their own logical shortcomings don't mean I have shortcomings.

I'm simply accepting the Dev statement that CBS wouldn't let weapon hues fly as truth.
    Whether thats illogical on their part/CBS part... their problem.

(And for the record I wish there was some sort of bonus incentive for Fed players to use Fed weapons.
    It makes more sense for Klingons to use captured weapons of the foe... but not so much for the Feds.)
    It isn't even that. The raging comes down to citing production and VFX goofs in an attempt to gain legitimacy. I mean, I normally don't take pleasure in the misfortune of others, but the pink phaser crowd desperately grasping at straws is making me reconsider that stance.

Welcome to the glorious feeling of Schadenfreude. :cool:
    edited February 2010

*munches popcorn*

Yeah, I just really like arguing with people, even if I agree with them on the main issue :o