What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Power Hue Disabled!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Ya I am guessing it won’t be back right away but it did bring a breath of fresh air to a game that’s rather cookie cutter right now. For not a lot of work to boot since most the code is already there even the gui since they have it in champions. Plus customization is cryptic games hallmark features. It could almost be construed as a form of branding.

As far as it not looking trek. I don’t think it’s that big a deal a lot of people don’t think the jjverse is trek and say ds9’picture of the federation was to dark to be proper trek. The fact is trek is an evolving franchise that does its best when the people making it take full advantage of what resource are at their disposal for whatever incarnation it is found in to engage its audience and tell the best story possible. Options like changing the weapons colors are just an example of some of the options available to better allow the audience to feel engaged in this game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ya I am guessing it won’t be back right away but it did bring a breath of fresh air to a game that’s rather cookie cutter right now. For not a lot of work to boot since most the code is already there even the gui since they have it in champions. Plus customization is cryptic games hallmark features. It could almost be construed as a form of branding.

As far as it not looking trek. I don’t think it’s that big a deal a lot of people don’t think the jjverse is trek and say ds9’picture of the federation was to dark to be proper trek. The fact is trek is an evolving franchise that does its best when the people making it take full advantage of what resource are at their disposal for whatever incarnation it is found in to engage its audience and tell the best story possible. Options like changing the weapons colors are just an example of some of the options available to better allow the audience to feel engaged in this game.

Damn rights!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    im still for the "[X] Display custom colors" option idea.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    im still for the "[X] Display custom colors" option idea.

As long as i don't have to buy the option with real money i'm all for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    Love the signature btw. I agree 100%. Everyone who's always wanted it was willing to make it optional, but what gets me is it was always optional, you had to manually type out the command.

And honestly i never saw the problem..

Thank you,
    Well in something like starbase 24 there could, with the way it was, be everyone, in theory, firing purple everything. I could see and accept that, though I'm fine with it and wouldn't care, it could or would bother some. Those some shouldn't be forced into seeing all the purple if they don't want, just as we shouldn't be forced into seeing all default if we don't want. That's where the people for it are willing to accept compromise when those against are frequently not.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I definitely do not think all colors should be allowed. There should be allowed some variations but nothing drastic like pink/purple or terd colored phasers. It has to be reasonably close to canon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maxloef wrote: »
    GTFO its not coming back and im GLAD its NOT

Perfect example of my earlier posting. No room for it to be even an option. Somehow figures they know better how I "should" enjoy the game than I do. Yet, the whole while, I'm saying it should be there in such a way it would never interfere with your game play, what so ever, unless you specifically told the game to show it to you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I definitely do not think all colors should be allowed. There should be allowed some variations but nothing drastic like pink/purple or terd colored phasers. It has to be reasonably close to canon.

Again, if it's an option that you would never even have to see the changes people make, where's the problem with all colors?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I might have responded more constructively had you used 8 exclamation points, but not for a mere 7.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Norry wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Maxloef View Post
    GTFO its not coming back and im GLAD its NOT

Perfect example of my earlier posting. No room for it to be even an option. Somehow figures they know better how I "should" enjoy the game than I do. Yet, the whole while, I'm saying it should be there in such a way it would never interfere with your game play, what so ever, unless you specifically told the game to show it to you.

Glad i'm not the only one to see this :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Even some of my friends who aren't playing STO said they would want pink weapons if they joined.

My friend even suggested making sure the women didn't have to big of TRIBBLE because if they did they could have health loss cause of it lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

My friend even suggested making sure the women didn't have to big of TRIBBLE because if they did they could have health loss cause of it lol.

Dont mess with the TRIBBLE!!! you can only push a man so far!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think these people should be given the option to see coloured weps client side (that we dont have to see) I think thats all they are asking for, so I dont mind them QQing about it, its not like I will be bothered by it.

Actually, client side isn't enough for it to be fully useful in several ways that I like. The part I want client side is seeing default colors on everything. Though I must say thank you for supporting options and other's rights to request features they would like to see as a part of the game, even if you don't particularly want it yourself.

Not to get off topic but I have to add, I don't think the bust slider goes far enough. It's Star Trek, back problems would be a thing of the past : )
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dont mess with the TRIBBLE!!! you can only push a man so far!!!

If thats not the most chauvinistic thing i've read on these forums!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, client side isn't enough for it to be fully useful in several ways that I like. The part I want client side is seeing default colors on everything. Though I must say thank you for supporting options and other's rights to request features they would like to see as a part of the game, even if you don't particularly want it yourself.

Not to get off topic but I have to add, I don't think the bust slider goes far enough. It's Star Trek, back problems would be a thing of the past : )

Yeah they wouldn't be too large cause they could always get reductions.

I think everyone has the right to suggest stuff but most people usually request the rediculious or impossible so 3/4 they just get ignored or laughed at. In this case it's something very simple; And unless cryptic tells us otherwise, from an IT perspective i find it hard to believe color changes could have any harmful affects. Though granted I would have to see the code, and i haven't.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone have anything new to add?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    shameless bump
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If thats not the most chauvinistic thing i've read on these forums!

Who keeps letting you out of the kichen to post on here?

I would like a word with your husband madam....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Please, enough. The subject has been covered over and over.

Give a month or so, so the people that have tried the game and did not like it move on. Then may be we can have a rational discussion. Also more players will have experience with the game and will speak with that in mind, and can post opinions with in-game experience.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cryptic, let me put my complaint into perspective. When everyone whined on the forums about all the issues during the head start i defended you saying it's growing pains, and i know it is, but i'll defend this game because I liked it and still do, but now I have my first real complaint.

OK, come one WTF seriously. You give us a game where the character creation is almost perversely detailed, to the point where you can even increase or decrease the womans breast and hip size size even down to how thick you want the persons feet to be.

Then you give us horribly limited ship modifications, and when there is something fun to add a little character to an individuals ship, whether on purpose or not, you fing disable it. I don't know if you disabled it because everything in cannon was orange, red and blue for the federation and green for the rest of the universe but to be frankly honest i don't give a rats a$$.

I want to add more modifications to my ship, i want to change the color of my weapons, and i don't think a few whiny little babies on the forums who are either so geeky they live by cannon or so insecure about their own se xuality that someone with pink or purple phasers causes them concern. If I want a rainbow of colors coming out of my ship I should be allowed to have it!!!

Please put the powerhue back in, hell i'd like to see more colors, black quantum torpedoes would rock!

COPYRIGHT ISSUE or are you unaware that Star Trek is a licensed IP from C.B.S.? Cryptic HAVE to use the weapon colours and textures as prescribed by C.B.S. or they will be in breach of copyright which would be very costly.

So rather than you be able to pew pew with pink weapons I and many, many others would prefere for the game to remain open for many years without Cryptic being taken to the wall by a media corporate giant.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ELITE-Kaos wrote: »
    COPYRIGHT ISSUE or are you unaware that Star Trek is a licensed IP from C.B.S.? Cryptic HAVE to use the weapon colours and textures as prescribed by C.B.S. or they will be in breach of copyright which would be very costly.

So rather than you be able to pew pew with pink weapons I and many, many others would prefere for the game to remain open for many years without Cryptic being taken to the wall by a media corporate giant.

Umm, that's not necessarily true if their contract gives them any sort of creative license with the IP. One of the problems with Star Wars Galaxies from a development perspective was that SOE had absolutely no creative license. Anything added or changed in the game had to be approved by LucasArts. When I mean everything I mean everything. It slowed development speed down to a crawl and made it very difficult for SOE to "create" the SW universe. I would hope that Cryptic was able to procure something that lets them have some freedom with the game. Not sure about that though.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jeronas wrote:
    Just like Turbine is bound to the IP of LOTR with their game.

But they've found ways to reallllllllly bend it... ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'd tend to guess this isn't the case or a Cryptic rep would have already said, "We are sorry, we'd love to be able to give you this feature. We will pass it along to CBS that our player base is requesting it, but for the moment we can not as it violates the contract we have with them. We will post any new developments." That would have, right then and there given to us, that want it, a reason they couldn't and, though perhaps not ended the requests for it, would have ended the debate as to why we couldn't have it. I will say, I'm glad to see that Cryptic didn't just lie to us and use that excuse when it would have been such an easy out for them on the issue.

You haven't said how me seeing green (or any other color) INSTEAD of pink brace for impact affects your game play if by default you still see the default PINK hull color when I use it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd tend to guess this isn't the case or a Cryptic rep would have already said, "We are sorry, we'd love to be able to give you this feature. We will pass it along to CBS that our player base is requesting it, but for the moment we can not as it violates the contract we have with them. We will post any new developments." That would have, right then and there given to us, that want it, a reason they couldn't and, though perhaps not ended the requests for it, would have ended the debate as to why we couldn't have it. I will say, I'm glad to see that Cryptic didn't just lie to us and use that excuse when it would have been such an easy out for them on the issue.

You haven't said how me seeing green (or any other color) INSTEAD of pink brace for impact affects your game play if by default you still see the default PINK hull color when I use it.

Which wouldn't be safe for them to do.

First, the conspiracy theorists would argue that they're just making excuses or trying to pass the buck.
    Second, it could potentially lead people to calling CBS to complain and CBS probably doesn't give a rat's TRIBBLE.

Folks need to realize how much Cryptic has to put up with whether or not they say things like this. In the end it's safer for them not to give fuel to the conspiracy theorists.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    Which wouldn't be safe for them to do.

First, the conspiracy theorists would argue that they're just making excuses or trying to pass the buck.
    Second, it could potentially lead people to calling CBS to complain and CBS probably doesn't give a rat's TRIBBLE.

Folks need to realize how much Cryptic has to put up with whether or not they say things like this. In the end it's safer for them not to give fuel to the conspiracy theorists.

What you need to realize, is it's not that big of a deal. There really is no way CBS is going to care that people in a game they only have an IP to and nothing to do with practically have some odd colored phasers. You and everyone else who have issues with this are making mountains out of mole hills.

I want purple phasers, black quantum torpedoes, and if I so feel like it pink blasters, it's really not that big of a deal.
    And Norry is right. With the exception being PVP which sucks right now anyway, not one person has give a solid and REALISTIC answer which by any basis you can prove, for why I can't have different color phasers, and how it would affect the way you enjoy the game.

I'd like a real answer, because in thirty pages of posts i haven't gotten one.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Cryptic let you read their contract with CBS? Pics or it didn't happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What you need to realize, is it's not that big of a deal. There really is no way CBS is going to care that people in a game they only have an IP to and nothing to do with practically have some odd colored phasers. You and everyone else who have issues with this are making mountains out of mole hills.

I want purple phasers, black quantum torpedoes, and if I so feel like it pink blasters, it's really not that big of a deal.
    And Norry is right. With the exception being PVP which sucks right now anyway, not one person has give a solid and REALISTIC answer which by any basis you can prove, for why I can't have different color phasers, and how it would affect the way you enjoy the game.

I'd like a real answer, because in thirty pages of posts i haven't gotten one.

I mean no offense, but it is you who are making a mountain out of a mole hill. It wasn't ever supposed to be there. Cryptic has already given an answer on it. Continuing on about it, wanting them to reimpliment something that they don't want in the game is not doing any good. It's wasted time.

Now, if they decided to make you pay for it down the road, then I would say take up arms and rant on, but until they do something like that, just play the game as it is intended and have fun.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    At OP.

No.

Cry more.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I see:
    Pew Pew Pew
    Zap Zap
    BLAMO!

You see:
    Pew Pew Pew
    Zap Zap
    BLAMO!

Make it an ability with a client side on off switch and call it a day
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've been thinking. If i accept the thought of having an ingame mod that allows me to see what i want but is regular for everyone else, then it's still an issue.

Because it means i have to keep my weapons in secret hidden, and i don't like hiding, esp because a bunch of people are upset it's not canon. There fore i take it back, this should be a total game option, just like before. People will just have to learn to live with it.

That and I believe it will force a new level of difficulty into pvp.