test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power Hue Disabled!!!!!!!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Cryptic, let me put my complaint into perspective. When everyone whined on the forums about all the issues during the head start i defended you saying it's growing pains, and i know it is, but i'll defend this game because I liked it and still do, but now I have my first real complaint.

OK, come one WTF seriously. You give us a game where the character creation is almost perversely detailed, to the point where you can even increase or decrease the womans breast and hip size size even down to how thick you want the persons feet to be.

Then you give us horribly limited ship modifications, and when there is something fun to add a little character to an individuals ship, whether on purpose or not, you fing disable it. I don't know if you disabled it because everything in cannon was orange, red and blue for the federation and green for the rest of the universe but to be frankly honest i don't give a rats a$$.

I want to add more modifications to my ship, i want to change the color of my weapons, and i don't think a few whiny little babies on the forums who are either so geeky they live by cannon or so insecure about their own se xuality that someone with pink or purple phasers causes them concern. If I want a rainbow of colors coming out of my ship I should be allowed to have it!!!

Please put the powerhue back in, hell i'd like to see more colors, black quantum torpedoes would rock!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    Cryptic, let me put my complaint into perspective. When everyone whined on the forums about all the issues during the head start i defended you saying it's growing pains, and i know it is, but i'll defend this game because I liked it and still do, but now I have my first real complaint.

OK, come one WTF seriously. You give us a game where the character creation is almost perversely detailed, to the point where you can even increase or decrease the womans breast and hip size size even down to how thick you want the persons feet to be.

Then you give us horribly limited ship modifications, and when there is something fun to add a little character to an individuals ship, whether on purpose or not, you fing disable it. I don't know if you disabled it because everything in cannon was orange, red and blue for the federation and green for the rest of the universe but to be frankly honest i don't give a rats a$$.

I want to add more modifications to my ship, i want to change the color of my weapons, and i don't think a few whiny little babies on the forums who are either so geeky they live by cannon or so insecure about their own se xuality that someone with pink or purple phasers causes them concern. If I want a rainbow of colors coming out of my ship I should be allowed to have it!!!

Please put the powerhue back in.

First, calm down. There is no point about freaking out, when in fact speaking assertively, yet reasonably would most likely boost your credibility.

Second, this isn't Champions Online. While pink phasers might be cool for Star Trek Babes Online, it does not fit with the intellectual property of Star Trek.
    edited February 2010
    I agree with Jacob on this one. While it would be cool, it would make playing the game be pretty difficult since the different types of beam weapons are already different colors. I think that's probably the main reason why this feature was removed. it's hard to tell if a green beam is a green phaser or just a disrupter. It might not matter to some people but for the others who really want to play the game and like how star trek works from the beginning it's a major thing.
    edited February 2010
    First, calm down. There is no point about freaking out, when in fact speaking assertively, yet reasonably would most likely boost your credibility.

Second, this isn't Champions Online. While pink phasers might be cool for Star Trek Babes Online, it does not fit with the intellectual property of Star Trek.

LOL To be honest this isn't freaking out, not even close. My credibility goes with my point not my verbal conjecture.

Second the game involves a great deal of customization, that should relate back the the modification of your ship as well. And brutally honest I don't care a bit about intellectual property.
    edited February 2010
    I think the roundabout way you had to go about changing the colors shows that they never meant for this feature to be in the game.
    edited February 2010
    Also, this is not exactly the first pink phaser thread today. Or even on the first page right now.
    edited February 2010
    would be nice to enable color changes to your weapons "locally" so only you see the colors and not the other players around you.

This at least helps you be able to tell who's weapon is being fired.
    edited February 2010
    BorgEmpire wrote:
    would be nice to enable color changes to your weapons "locally" so only you see the colors and not the other players around you.

This at least helps you be able to tell who's weapon is being fired.

Solid point.
    edited February 2010
    And brutally honest I don't care a bit about intellectual property.

Actually, you do, since that's the reason you can't have pink phasers any more. Apparently, you're just not quite bright enough to realize it.
    edited February 2010
    Are you gonna cancel your sub too?
    edited February 2010
    xcom923 wrote: »
    I agree with Jacob on this one. .

I do too. Normally, i wildly disagree, but i'd listen to his point. This isn't Matel's Starship Enterprise with Pink bussards. lol
    edited February 2010
    Vexiom wrote:
    Actually, you do, since that's the reason you can't have pink phasers any more. Apparently, you're just not quite bright enough to realize it.

Lets not start a flame war, leave it at the fact i know more about intelectual property rights than you give me credit for, and leave it at that.

Plain and simple i'd like to hear what cryptic has to say on this too.
    edited February 2010

Also, old news. They have already stated (at least twice) that it was a bug, and that it was being removed.
    edited February 2010
    LOL To be honest this isn't freaking out, not even close. My credibility goes with my point not my verbal conjecture.

Yes... welcome to two days ago when the threads about this began. Since then there have been many threads and hundreds of posts.

Everything that can be said has been said by both sides. There's not much more to add to the overall discussion.
    edited February 2010
    My credibility goes with my point not my verbal conjecture.

Verbal conjecture has a lot to do with it. People who feel as though their point is valid and strong do not feel the need to dramatize it. Flailing wildly will certainly get attention, but it won't be the right kind. No one will take you seriously. They will just say your only form of debate is noise.
    edited February 2010

They took it out without saying anything about adding it back later.
    I think the message is pretty clear.
    edited February 2010
    Lets not start a flame war, leave it at the fact i know more about intelectual property rights than you give me credit for, and leave it at that.

Cryptic has spoken my friend, and they said "thou shall not have pink phasers"
    edited February 2010
    Know why the "keep it in cannon" thing is dumb imo?
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=103278

Ive already posted my opinion. If youre gonna disable one of the things that makes this non cannon or not in line with cannon, disable them all. Unique ship names, CAPTAIN names ffs
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    They took it out without saying anything about adding it back later.
    I think the message is pretty clear.

yup, "my way or the highway"
    or as the forum players seem to be saying "your money wont be missed"
    Funny thing, is all the GAME players Ive talked to about this seem to think it was dumb to disable it lol
    edited February 2010

Please put the powerhue back in, hell i'd like to see more colors, black quantum torpedoes would rock!

Weapon graphics are specific colors to denote specific types of weapons. If I see someone shooting red beams at me, I know they have a chance to knock out key systems. If I see a green beam, I know that they're decreasing my energy resistance.

It would effect gameplay to allow people to change the color of their weapons, masking what type of weapon it is.

This is beside the fact that certain weapons ahve certain colors canonically.

On top of all of that, this was never an intended feature. Someone went command surfing, and found a bug in their system left over from Champions. If you didn't know, STO uses the same engine, and the phasers and such you fire use the same mechanics as the powers that heroes use in Champions.

You were never meant to be able to changeyour weapon colors. The in game way of this was disabled, but the chat command was overlooked. It's now fixed.
    edited February 2010
    The good news is if you really like colors that much you can still go buy a pack of crayons and draw your very own ship, with whichever colors you choose!

Its great to have options for creative outlet.
    edited February 2010
    I am going to go ahead and agree with the O.P

What does it matter if it doesn't fit the I.P? multiple uniforms, the captain always going on away missions, an ensign/lieutenant being given full command of a starship, patterned hulls and customized ships, credits etc etc The list of things that doesn't fit the Star Trek canon is long, very long, but were included in to make the game more enjoyable.

I personally liked having crimson red phaser, and it meant that I could have two different weapon types without having to worry about the forward weapons being orange and the rear ones being green (which in itself is opposed to canon as far as I am aware.).

The simple solution would of either of been to disable the custom colours when entering a PvP area or to have it set up that only the player can see it. But alas, they disable it altogether to keep the die hard fans from crying, even though most of the game is opposed to canon.
    edited February 2010
    AdmGillis wrote: »
    Weapon graphics are specific colors to denote specific types of weapons. If I see someone shooting red beams at me, I know they have a chance to knock out key systems. If I see a green beam, I know that they're decreasing my energy resistance.

It would effect gameplay to allow people to change the color of their weapons, masking what type of weapon it is.

This is beside the fact that certain weapons ahve certain colors canonically.

On top of all of that, this was never an intended feature. Someone went command surfing, and found a bug in their system left over from Champions. If you didn't know, STO uses the same engine, and the phasers and such you fire use the same mechanics as the powers that heroes use in Champions.

You were never meant to be able to changeyour weapon colors. The in game way of this was disabled, but the chat command was overlooked. It's now fixed.

This.

What I find the funniest is that, if this command had never been discovered, all the people complaining about it being taken out would have been perfectly happy with their canon colored weapons. It's really such a small thing, I don't know why such a big deal is being made from it. The first time I heard about it, from someone I grouped with, I was told it was a feature, not a bug (obviously my group mate was misinformed), and even then I didn't even think about checking it out for myself. I'm a pretty big customization fiend, I'm constantly tweaking my captain and ship (to the detriment of my energy credits) and I didn't even care about what colors my weapons were.
    edited February 2010
    Are you gonna cancel your sub too?

Of course not, i still like the game i just like more options, not limitations.

MavrykDH wrote: »

What does it matter if it doesn't fit the I.P? multiple uniforms, the captain always going on away missions, an ensign/lieutenant being given full command of a starship, patterned hulls and customized ships, credits etc etc The list of things that doesn't fit the Star Trek canon is long, very long, but were included in to make the game more enjoyable.

I personally liked having crimson red phaser, and it meant that I could have two different weapon types without having to worry about the forward weapons being orange and the rear ones being green (which in itself is opposed to canon as far as I am aware.).

The simple solution would of either of been to disable the custom colours when entering a PvP area or to have it set up that only the player can see it. But alas, they disable it altogether to keep the die hard fans from crying, even though most of the game is opposed to canon.

Very solid points as well.
    edited February 2010
    I like how people think Cryptic has taken away a feature. They took away something that was, for lack of a better term, a hack. If it was a feature, you'd choose it with a slider, like in Champions, not by entering in a number that relates to its position on a color wheel.
    edited February 2010
    RedSunBird wrote: »
    This.

What I find the funniest is that, if this command had never been discovered, all the people complaining about it being taken out would have been perfectly happy with their canon colored weapons. It's really such a small thing, I don't know why such a big deal is being made from it. The first time I heard about it, from someone I grouped with, I was told it was a feature, not a bug (obviously my group mate was misinformed), and even then I didn't even think about checking it out for myself. I'm a pretty big customization fiend, I'm constantly tweaking my captain and ship (to the detriment of my energy credits) and I didn't even care about what colors my weapons were.

Your right, had i never known I would have been fine with it. But now that I know i'd like the option of being able to make my torpedoes black, my phaser weapons purple, and yes even pink if i so feel like it.

I like how people think Cryptic has taken away a feature. They took away something that was, for lack of a better term, a hack. If it was a feature, you'd choose it with a slider, like in Champions, not by entering in a number that relates to its position on a color wheel.

Your right but in that sense it was a harmless thing we could have fun with.
    edited February 2010

Second the game involves a great deal of customization, that should relate back the the modification of your ship as well. And brutally honest I don't care a bit about intellectual property.

The point you are trying to make and the manner you present it in go hand in hand when someone is trying to determine if you are making a valid point or if you are letting your emotions interfere with your reasoning. Sure, you can be passionate about something, but this sounds a bit too much like whining to me.
    edited February 2010
    I like me some Canon, dont get me wrong. i have read the ENTIRE new star trek encyclopedia, and enjoyed it immensely.

that being said there are several, and i mean several things not Canon about this game. with weapons, name ONE time a federation starship used disrupters instead of phasers?

I do agree that having pink disrupters in pvp is gonna just confuse the play, but they could make a limited color set to chose from, or make them visible to the player only.

Die hard fanboi's, like me, are going to have to let go of the fact that this game is star trek, but also an MMO. there have to be compromises.

but in the end i really don't care about the color of my weapons, they go pew pew and that's fine by me.

It's Cryptic/Atari's game, and they can chose to do whatever they want, so long as they are willing to live with the consequences of those choices.
    edited February 2010
    MavrykDH wrote: »

What does it matter if it doesn't fit the I.P? multiple uniforms,

Seen in canon.
    the captain always going on away missions,

Seen in canon.
    an ensign/lieutenant being given full command of a starship,

Completely plausible in a time of a power vacuum of senior ship officers and a need for deployed ships.
    patterned hulls and customized ships,

Some precedence for this: The Defiant was equipped in ways Starfleet wasn't aware of and Starfleet uses modular components that can be switched around, demonstrated by the Galaxy/Nebula classes.
    credits etc etc

We saw in Voyager that when energy was limited they had rationed use of replicators. Better they used something with a basis in canon that made something completely up from scratch.
    The list of things that doesn't fit the Star Trek canon is long, very long, but were included in to make the game more enjoyable.

Many can be explained through examples in canon. Others can be accepted as necessary evils for the sake of game mechanics.

Different colored phaser beams post TMP have no backing in canon and aren't justifiable as a necessary evil for game mechanics.
    edited February 2010
    what a fresh, new and intresting thread you have made here.
    edited February 2010
    Your right, had i never known I would have been fine with it. But now that I know i'd like the option of being able to make my torpedoes black, my phaser weapons purple, and yes even pink if i so feel like it.

Your right but in that sense it was a harmless thing we could have fun with.

Well, the fact of the matter is that it's something Cryptic never intended to be in the game. As mentioned above, it can impact PVP by making it harder to determine what kind of weapon is hitting you, and it was taken out. I would not be against them adding in an option to have your weapons appear the color of your choice to you and no one else, at some point, but I seriously doubt it's even on the bottom of the list of Cryptic's priorities right now.
    edited February 2010
    meh, im not even trying to outscream the fantypes here but the op has a point. Those who dont want to see it wont, but its still there.
    I dunno though, I dont remember seeing disruptors on federation ships in the shows but then again, I never saw every single episode of every single show