What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Power Hue Disabled!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I just really like arguing with people, even if I agree with them on the main issue :o

Arguing is good to a point, it helps to make one think and that sharpens the mind.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Of course it doesn't. You're not interested in the process at CBS, you're just interested in hearing what you want to hear.

Here's something for you: perhaps they decided that they were willing to bend on some matters, but not others? If you were actually thinking things through, instead of ranting and raving, you'd have considered this.

And I'm saying that in canon terms, giant bridges, fashion show uniforms and pink phasers are equally ridiculous, and thus there is no legitimate reason for CBS to approve of one and not the other.
    If they didn't it's probably because the issue never came up, as Cryptic didn't intend powerhue to be an in-game feature anyway. But since players have used it, and loved it, it should be one now.
    But since we're just shooting the breeze after the hammer has come down, how does it feel to be so passionate about something that simply isn't going to change? How do you deal with the fact that no matter how much you argue, you're on the wrong side of the issue and will simply have to deal with things? Enjoy the futility of your lost cause, because many of us are enjoying the way you react to it.

If we don't try, things won't change.
    Maybe, just maybe, if enough people show interest Cryptic may be inclined to come up with a weapon colouring system that CBS will approve of, since they've already approved of many things that would make Gene Roddenberry's ashes in space spin so fast they'd create a black hole and consume us all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Now that we are all entertained I must question why you can not accept the given dev response?
    (I honestly want a straight up answer)

Oh, I do "accept" it. I dont "buy" it(aka believe it), but I accept it. To elaborate, either the Devs or CBS are BSing us, becuase of the already mentioned logical contradiction. But either way, in the end I DONT want rainbow phasers, so regardless of whether I actually buy the response or not, I do accept it :o
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    PVP in this game is going to be so dull, if you know how to react to weapon fire. boring

As to CBS approvals, i don't believe it. Because honestly i don't believe you. I still intend to push this and i still intend to take it to cryptic.

Well lets take a look at context. With the context and use of "we" in his post, one can easily infer that "we" means "those of us at cryptic". So I don't see how "taking it to cryptic" is going to help as Cryptic were the ones who decided to remove it, and apparently they've had issues over much smaller things with the people from whom they've licensed the material from.

Now of course you say you don't believe him, which is all well and good. But you have stated no basis for not believing it. (PS. "I don't believe it because I don't believe you" is kinda redundant. Something along the lines of "I don't believe it because you've given us wrong information before" would make more sense and make you look like less of a tool.)

Also how do you quite expect to "Take it to Cryptic". We've all seen how great e-petitions have gone. And you can tell by this thread the entire community isn't behind being able to change your weapon colors whenever you want, and further that by greater divide between people who play the game vs people who play the game and go to the forums. So even if you got a petition together and got "signatures" you only will end up with a small number of people vs the vast majority.

So whats your plan hot shot, since you've already ignored what "removed from the game and wasn't ever supposed to be there" implies about it, and already don't believe a Cryptic representative on the matter?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes, but for some reason the noise entertains me. I think it's because all the nerdraging is infused with Star Trek citations and references (i.e., Trek nerdspeak).

*munches popcorn*

Lol... ya, the nerdrage over phaser colors is classic. And the funniest part of all this? This is just one of the first "it's not canon" arguments we're going to see with this game. I'm dying to see what next one is... Hull color sounds fun :P
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not even arguing for rainbow phasers. But if I want all red weapons, why the hell not?
    The pvp excuse can just bugger off because that's all it is, an excuse.

Have, say, a facility at a starbase that recalibrates your energy and torpedo weapons for a set fee and with set colour choices, various hues of red, blue, purple, orange, green.. no pink.
    That way you have a money sink, players have some choice, and no pink exploding ships.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not even arguing for rainbow phasers. But if I want all red weapons, why the hell not?

Have, say, a facility at a starbase that recalibrates your energy and torpedo weapons for a set fee and with set colour choices, various hues of red, blue, purple, orange, green.. no pink.
    That way you have a money sink, players have some choice, and no pink exploding ships.

Actually, the PvP excuse is the only legitimate excuse that has been given. And just because something is an "excuse" doesnt mean its not correct. I dont want to drink bleech because I'll die. Thats an excuse, but its also true. Of course, they could always make it so that all weapons reverted back to their natural color in PvP if they wanted to allow the command. But they dont, and most people dont either, so meh.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I do "accept" it. I dont "buy" it(aka believe it), but I accept it. To elaborate, either the Devs or CBS are BSing us, becuase of the already mentioned logical contradiction. But either way, in the end I DONT want rainbow phasers, so regardless of whether I actually buy the response or not, I do accept it :o

It would be kind-of sad though.... I do hope its CBS who is dishing out the BS (if anyone) I want to believe in Cryptic. honestly.

But we will probably never know anwyays. :p

That is (for me) an acceptable compromise assuming that the hues are locked into the weapons original color.

IE phasers range form yellowish orange to super reddish orange, Disruptors from disruptor-green down to yellow-green, Plasma weapons from their green over to forest green, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, the PvP excuse is the only legitimate excuse that has been given. And just because something is an "excuse" doesnt mean its not correct. I dont want to drink bleech because I'll die. Thats an excuse, but its also true. Of course, they could always make it so that all weapons reverted back to their natural color in PvP if they wanted to allow the command. But they dont, and most people dont either, so meh.

Or like others have said, just add a "show true weapon colour" option. Everybody wins.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if you want to fight CBS go right ahead, not Cryptic's fault that CBS approves somethings and not others.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't see why anyone is still arguing. Some dumb @zz even says they don't believe CBS said that EVEN after reading it right out of the words of a Dev. That's just truly sad. For those of you saying maybe they'll change it if we show them we want it etc etc, they won't....Period.

Want to know why? Here's some proof to chew on.

How many people don't like the Skill Cap and still bring it up Constantly? A Lot. Are they going to change it back? No, and CBS has nothing what-so-ever to do with that decision. That's purely a game-play mechanic. Either way they aren't going back to no skill cap. Do you think they're going to lobby to CBS to change this after CBS already denied it once? No, they won't. Like our No-Skill Cap, Powerhue is gone. No amount of lobbying is going to bring it back. No amount of Polls will change anything. Just like those of us that hate the skill cap have to put up with it or not play, so too do you have to deal with Powerhue being gone....or not play.

Some things are just dust in the wind and nothing we can do will change that fact. We all have to deal with it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if you want to fight CBS go right ahead, not Cryptic's fault that CBS approves somethings and not others.

Who said anything about fighting? We're simply saying the reasoning is inconsistant.
    I myself am saying there's grounds for Cryptic to go to CBS and say "We've come up with a new weapon colouring system, I think you'll approve of the limits we've set along the lines of our uniform and ship customisation that you've already green lighted."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How many people don't like the Skill Cap and still bring it up Constantly? A Lot. Are they going to change it back? No, and CBS has nothing what-so-ever to do with that decision. That's purely a game-play mechanic. Either way they aren't going back to no skill cap. Do you think they're going to lobby to CBS to change this after CBS already denied it once? No, they won't. Like our No-Skill Cap, Powerhue is gone. No amount of lobbying is going to bring it back. No amount of Polls will change anything. Just like those of us that hate the skill cap have to put up with it or not, so too do you have to deal with Powerhue being gone....or not play.

Some things are just dust in the wind and nothing we can do will change that fact. We all have to deal with it.

You're comparing a gameplay mechanic with an entirely cosmetic issue.
    For better or for worse Cryptic have decided the game is balanced better with a skill cap. Many don't agree, yes. But then I don't see any proof that Cryptic will never change it's mind on that issue either.

Regardless, this issue has nothing to do with game balance so the comparison is faulty.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Who said anything about fighting? We're simply saying the reasoning is inconsistant.
    I myself am saying there's grounds for Cryptic to go to CBS and say "We've come up with a new weapon colouring system, I think you'll approve of the limits we've set along the lines of our uniform and ship customisation that you've already green lighted."

And Crpytic is on record saying it was an accident that it was even possible in the first place, and their policy is to not revisit this decision.

Do you REALLY feel that this matter is worth scheduling a meeting with the IP holder. Just imagine that one, in which people who don't want the option to to CBS and ask for pink phasers on behalf of a small minority of players. Do you REALLY think that this is a battle worth fighting? Pick your battles.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The reasoning is consistent and Cryptic came out with a final, official answer. We have to take their word for it. And I have to agree with Cryptic on this one. This is not Cryptic original work, they are using an established IP. They have to follow some guidelines. It's like asking for a purple colored Yoda, or a X-wing with 5 wings. Those are things that simply do not fit on an established IP.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And Crpytic is on record saying it was an accident that it was even possible in the first place, and their policy is to not revisit this decision.

Do you REALLY feel that this matter is worth scheduling a meeting with the IP holder. Just imagine that one, in which people who don't want the option to to CBS and ask for pink phasers on behalf of a small minority of players. Do you REALLY think that this is a battle worth fighting? Pick your battles.

Nice strawman. Read my previous posts.
    If enough players want it, exactly what would stop Cryptic from developing a neat little system to allow in game weapon colour customisation that, unlike /powerhue, has set limits by the designers and then presenting this system to CBS for approval, and what would stop CBS, who have already approved uniform and ship customisation from giving the go ahead?

Nothing, that's what.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The reasoning is consistent and Cryptic came out with a final, official answer. We have to take their word for it. And I have to agree with Cryptic on this one. This is not Cryptic original work, they are using an established IP. They have to follow some guidelines. It's like asking for a purple colored Yoda, or a X-wing with 5 wings. Those are things that simply do not fit on an established IP.

And again, pink and green uniforms do?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You should have seen the yelling In Closed Beta when they changed the uniform and ship colors, originally there used to be more color variations like Neon bright colors, It made you feel like you were in Champions or City of Heros rather than Star Trek,

So they went the opposit way and changed the colors so you had some basic colors and some uniform and ship pieces only available in grey shades.

Everyone hated it (including me) and the Hue and cry went out and they decided to meet us hallfway, I am assuming they also talked to CBS about it, and they went to the current color schemes.

The same people that liked the original colors are probably some of the same people that like the colored weapons, can you imagine what space battles and gropund battles would look like if they kept the Ship, Uniform and Weapons colors in. {Shudder} talk about garish.

So get over it this is not City of Heros or Champions it is Star Trek online part of the Star Trek franchise with a loooonnggg history and while everything is not 100% cannon, they try to stay as true as possible to meet the demands of the player base and MMO game mechanics without making the the people in charge of the franchise mad.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

While I support the decision, you obviously havent been following the convo if you think the reasoning is consistent.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

XD I just got this funny image in my head of a bunch of suits sitting down around a confrence table with the STO team.

Suits; "You called us here to discuss an IP matter?"

STO team; "Yes, specifically to do with weapons."

Suits; "and?"

STO team; "Well there is no delicate way to put this but.... we want the option for pink phasers."

Suits; "What?"

STO team; "Yes. Pink phasers. for um two or three players..."

Suits; "You're fired."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You're comparing a gameplay mechanic with an entirely cosmetic issue.

I wasn't comparing so much as I was pointing out their philosophy on not going back on decisions. The Proof that they won't go back on the Skill Cap is the fact that the only reason the Skill Cap was implemented was so they could make Money selling respecs and character slots. That's pretty obvious.

The point I was making is that they don't lightly go back on decisions. The likely-hood of them going back on this with the IP Owner not liking it is even Slimmer. It's not coming back.

Edit: The comparison wasn't about one being a game-play issue and the other being cosmetic, the only comparison was showing their commonality of decisions and trends of not going back on decisions. That comparison stands.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice strawman. Read my previous posts.
    If enough players want it, exactly what would stop Cryptic from developing a neat little system to allow in game weapon colour customisation that, unlike /powerhue, has set limits by the designers and then presenting this system to CBS for approval, and what would stop CBS, who have already approved uniform and ship customisation from giving the go ahead?

Nothing, that's what.

And you think there are enough players who want this because... ?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And you think there are enough players who want this because... ?

Of the people here, like me, who want it. I think the kind of thing I and others have suggested is perfectly reasonable and desired by enough players.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nor should it. Not because of the "CBS" excuse, though. If that were true, then we wouldnt be able to customize our uniforms the way we do. The real reason it shouldnt come back is because for every person saying bring it back, there are 5 saying dont. Even if the forums only reflect a minority of the playerbase, that still shows there are more people that dont want it than do.

I have no difficulty believing that CBS signed off on uniform customization but not recoloring of special effects. The uniform customization range is still quite narrow and strongly themed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Of the people here, like me, who want it. I think the kind of thing I and others have suggested is perfectly reasonable and desired by enough players.

May I ask where you support this notion of having enough players who want this to move forward? What constitutes "enough"? Where do you get the data to suggest you've passed this threshold?

Strength of desire does not equal strength of cause.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The uniform customization range is still quite narrow and strongly themed.

Exactly. This IS a THEMED MMO. This isn't something they had a huge range with when creating. For those who are into uniform customization they should be thankful they have the variety they have. Star Fleet has standardized uniforms now. Notice in Voyager when they finally got in touch with Star Fleet and noticed they had a new uniform code they promptly changed theirs to match.

Maybe in the ToS they had more freedom to wear non-standard uniforms but Star Fleet doesn't work like that now. I don't know how other people like to play but on my ship, aside from my Borg BO, everyone else is wearing standardized uniforms.

I tend to go to Star Base as little as possible because seeing "Power Rangers" running around trying to be in Star Fleet really breaks immersion for me, as did seeing Pink phasers and some of those other colors that don't fit the IP.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    May I ask where you support this notion of having enough players who want this to move forward? What constitutes "enough"? Where do you get the data to suggest you've passed this threshold?

Where do you have the data to suggest this idea is entirely unacceptable?
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If what the Devs have said in other interviews are true then over a million people have accounts on STO right now. In order to be realistic with that and have any kind of hope to lobby for a change I'd say a significant amount would have to be 250,00 at the very least to be considered even being a Part of the player base. I don't see 250,00 replies to this thread saying they want it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Exactly. This IS a THEMED MMO. This isn't something they had a huge range with when creating. For those who are into uniform customization they should be thankful they have the variety they have. Star Fleet has standardized uniforms now. Notice in Voyager when they finally got in touch with Star Fleet and noticed they had a new uniform code they promptly changed theirs to match.

What? No they didn't.
    Maybe in the ToS they had more freedom to wear non-standard uniforms but Star Fleet doesn't work like that now. I don't know how other people like to play but on my ship, aside from my Borg BO, everyone else is wearing standardized uniforms.

How does that change the fact that in this game you can wear any manner of ridiculously coloured/obsolete/EVIL FASCIST uniform?
    I tend to go to Star Base as little as possible because seeing "Power Rangers" running around trying to be in Star Fleet really breaks immersion for me, as did seeing Pink phasers and some of those other colors that don't fit the IP.

Pink is about the only colour that doesn't fit. So don't let us use pink.
    Again the entire pink phaser argument is exagerrated anyway, next to nobody ever used pink weapons, I sure as hell didn't.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have no difficulty believing that CBS signed off on uniform customization but not recoloring of special effects. The uniform customization range is still quite narrow and strongly themed.

I guess we just disagree on that. As far as weapons go, we're only talking about colors, nothing else(texture, shape of beam/torpedo, etc). As far as uniforms go, we can not only select the color, but also the general appearance. We can make them baggy, tight, and all kinds of mismatched. No, the uniforms definitely allow for plenty of non-canon looks.