test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power Hue Disabled!!!!!!!

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    nezzir wrote: »
    Please support the removal of forum colors to match the in game blandness.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=105181

Someone with a sense of humor lol.
    edited February 2010
    Where were all the requests for customizing beams before the bug was known?

Seriously, I've been playing this game since October, and don't remember seeing any requests for it at all. Now I'm not saying there wasn't any, but if there was it sure wasn't requested very loudly.

Now that a bug has been found and removed, people are freaking out about it.

So I ask again, if it's such a big deal, where were all the requests for it before the bug was known?
    edited February 2010
    Raath wrote: »
    So I ask again, if it's such a big deal, where were all the requests for it before the bug was known?

If I had known it were an option, I would have requested it.
    edited February 2010
    nezzir wrote: »
    If I had known it were an option, I would have requested it.

That's the point. It wasn't an option.

So it seems to me that if that option was so important, people would have requested it.
    edited February 2010
    Where were all the requests for customizing beams before the bug was known?

Seriously, I've been playing this game since October, and don't remember seeing any requests for it at all. Now I'm not saying there wasn't any, but if there was it sure wasn't requested very loudly.

Now that a bug has been found and removed, people are freaking out about it.

"You have to be very careful with features, once you give [or the users discovered in this case] one you can't take it back" to paraphrase Steve Jobs.

Not playing Champions I didn't know you could do that. It'd also have helped to have Cryptic's big list of license restrictions as well, but that's by the by.
    edited February 2010
    Vaneshi wrote:
    "You have to be very careful with features, once you give [or the users discovered in this case] one you can't take it back" to paraphrase Steve Jobs.

Not playing Champions I didn't know you could do that. It'd also have helped to have Cryptic's big list of license restrictions as well, but that's by the by.

That's good stuff.

Another thing no one seems to take into consideration: the unintentional side effects of that bug.

The MMO bug butterfly effect, if you will. It happens all the time with MMO's...and I assume most computer programs. Something not right over *here* unintentionally causes something *over there* to mess up.

Since none of us work on the game, and Cryptic has been awfully quiet, we have no idea if the /powerhue was causing other bugs in-game.
    edited February 2010
    OH give it up, its been removed deal with it, the game is better without it!
    edited February 2010
    That's good stuff.

Another thing no one seems to take into consideration: the unintentional side effects of that bug.

The MMO bug butterfly effect, if you will. It happens all the time with MMO's...and I assume most computer programs. Something not right over *here* unintentionally causes something *over there* to mess up.

Since none of us work on the game, and Cryptic has been awfully quiet, we have no idea if the /powerhue was causing other bugs in-game.

Since it was already in the engine they were using and that engine has been put through the ringer it's somewhat unlikely that powerhue was causing problems in other areas... but perhaps it was. I'd like to see a dev tell us something... anything...
    edited February 2010
    miten wrote: »
    Since it was already in the engine they were using and that engine has been put through the ringer it's somewhat unlikely that powerhue was causing problems in other areas... but perhaps it was. I'd like to see a dev tell us something... anything...

This is very true.

But on the same hand, the engine had to be modified for this game. And, as far as I know, it was modified without /powerhue in mind. So perhaps that caused some problems. Again, I have no idea...I just try to see things from different angles.

The only way I could see them implementing this would be to change the animation of some of the weapons. This would make the folks who want to customize happy, and that would also keep the "can't tell the different weapons in pvp" type happy. Unfortunately, the pure canon folks would still be displeased.
    edited February 2010
    hehe that kind of behavior would make me quit right here and now. Adding it to the C-store would be worse than just keeping it out.
    edited February 2010
    Kassidus wrote: »
    OH give it up, its been removed deal with it, the game is better without it!

Your opinion, not ours.
    edited February 2010

They did. They said it was a bug, and the command wasn't supposed to even be enabled for players. It doesn't deter the folks from crying about it though.

If you want pink phasers, start designing your own game, get Paramount to sign off on it, and there you go.
    edited February 2010
    Isn't it great that while people are being dragged out of rubble in Haiti after two weeks or more without food or water staring death in the face, WE can become irate over the COLOR OF PHASERS on our online GAME. WOOOOOOW. Perspective check! What a great country we live in. I mean REALLY!!!
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    Your opinion, not ours.

"Ours"? Do you have an imaginary fan club now?
    edited February 2010
    It was fun while it lasted but it's not the end of the world, face it most of us used it for $hits and Giggles anyway...
    edited February 2010
    exyle wrote: »
    Isn't it great that while people are being dragged out of rubble in Haiti after two weeks or more without food or water staring death in the face, WE can become irate over the COLOR OF PHASERS on our online GAME. WOOOOOOW. Perspective check! What a great country we live in. I mean REALLY!!!

I could argue that you are wasting your time arguing on a forum while the peoples of Zimbabwe are still living under a regime of death and violence...
    edited February 2010
    hehe that kind of behavior would make me quit right here and now. Adding it to the C-store would be worse than just keeping it out.

Aye, I deleted that part of my post, because I just didn't feel like going there.......

...let's just say I would not feel too good about Cryptic if they added it to the C-store.
    edited February 2010

and yet here you are posting on those same forums pretending to be better than everyone else instead of doing something constructive. Way to show how much you care.
    edited February 2010

Same specs as his sig, but a Core i7 920 OCed to 3.6... way to waste money bro +D
    edited February 2010
    I could argue that you are wasting your time arguing on a forum while the peoples of Zimbabwe are still living under a regime of death and violence...

Talk about perspective... if you and the guy you quoted really give a TRIBBLE do something about it. Clearly the rest of the forum doesn't... take that to some celeb telethon where that TRIBBLE belongs.

I know I know i"m insensitive... or am I just relative? Did I just blow your mind? :eek:
    edited February 2010
    St.Sinner wrote:
    They did. They said it was a bug, and the command wasn't supposed to even be enabled for players. It doesn't deter the folks from crying about it though.

If you want pink phasers, start designing your own game, get Paramount to sign off on it, and there you go.

They said they didn't intend for it to be an option, not that it was causing problems. An unintended option is not necessarily an option that should be dismissed. Humans weren't originally meant to fly, that didn't stop us from strapping wings on a boat and launching it into the air. All I want if not the return of the feature in an altered form as not to annoy other players is a confirmation on either glitches it was causing or a direct licensing violation.
    edited February 2010

irrelavent to this topic, please stay on topic.
    edited February 2010
    GOOSEBUMP wrote: »
    Talk about perspective... if you and the guy you quoted really give a TRIBBLE do something about it. Clearly the rest of the forum doesn't... take that to some celeb telethon where that TRIBBLE belongs.

I know I know i"m insensitive... or am I just relative? Did I just blow your mind? :eek:

I was simply pointing out that his guilt trip isn't gonna work. I'm sorry you took it otherwise.
    edited February 2010
    Are we still discussing this issue? Seriously get over it.

/thread
    edited February 2010
    How about changing the intensity and darkness of the weapons? That could be a compromise, right?
    edited February 2010
    I was simply pointing out that his guilt trip isn't gonna work. I'm sorry you took it otherwise.

Again Please stay on topic.
    edited February 2010
    Please re-enable it when you bring the servers back up.
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    Please re-enable it when you bring the servers back up.

If you think they're going to re-enable a feature that they rushed to kill as soon as they found out about it, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you...
    edited February 2010
    How about changing the intensity and darkness of the weapons? That could be a compromise, right?

The concept of compromise implies that there is a need for one side to give concession to the other. This is not the case. Power hue is gone, never to return, so no compromise is required or even possible.
    edited February 2010

I think the important question here is, are the bullets that are killing these people pink and purple?