test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An Admiral Speaks: No Endgame Content.... At All (Spoiler Alert)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Thane wrote: »
    we all knew the first ones would cry again, they allways do, and that's why we told ya when you started your rush :)

shocking news, we were right ^^

Same question to Thane, define "Rush". Put some scope to the word and dimensions to it please.
    edited February 2010
    I hit max Admiral yesterday too and I am finding plenty to do still. I am making another character, and farming up gear and such to max out my BOs and ship for what's getting implemented. There are so many ships, 3 different character classes, and the combos you can come up with are plentiful. Playing for the joy of the game is in itself reward enough as long as things like 2 of the most important keys in ground war controls aren't removed from your toolbar every ground mission. This has happened on over 15 ground missions in a row prior to downtime... Commands "auto fire" and "rifle butt" getting removed from my tool bar every ground mission.
    edited February 2010
    the fact you have no life

Not a dig or anything but most people define those who play MMO's as having no life anyway :D.
    And again, thats not a dig as I woud be having just as much of a dig at myself if it were.
    edited February 2010
    BSM-Kkalta wrote:
    No thats what you happen to get with this particular game.... Instead, enjoy playing a quality MMO, which there are plenty of out, and upcoming, that you won't easily complete the content within such a short timeframe.

Sorry, but name just two MMOGs worth mentioning where you won´t max out the release-content in about 1 max 2 weeks? I did so in Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Star Trek Online, well Lord of the Rings took a little bit more....the only one I couldn´t "compete" with was Lineage II, but thats mostly because it is designed for the asian market and their playstyle. And they even beat me.

I think its incredible how people are denouncing this game by comparing it to other games in their actual state.

STO is propably not the best designed MMOG at release, too many smaller bugs, some bigger mistakes regarding user-friendliness etc. Many things that really shouldn´t have been released that way because the work to make it right isnt/wasnt that much. It seems some things just weren´t thought through enough.

But sitting here and really throwing with quotes like that one above is just ridiculous. I´m really interested to hear about these "quality MMO" where "you won't easily complete the content within such a short timeframe". Please, share your knowledge with us. I mean it.
    edited February 2010
    No endgame content destroyed Age of Conan. Utterly ruined that entire franchise. I really hope this isn't the case.
    edited February 2010
    the VAST majority will take a bit longer than no live, momma basement living, no job players.

Do you really think people are taking your comments seriously when they include insults like that? I was one of the first Admiral 5 and I got plenty of Real Life. Studying history and webtechnology, playing football, training football, working, and even living in my own appartement - thank you. The only difference is, that I decided to take a few days vacation from all that and level up to 45. So start discussing in a respectful manner as you want yourself treated and I´m on board. But not like that.
    edited February 2010
    Why do people think that the game "starts" at max level?

Why is more more fun to raid same 1-2 instances than the entire game experience?
    edited February 2010
    200 admirals? that's all? If we use the 45 day patch plan that comes out to about 6.5 weeks. So if after 1 week there are 200 admirals, that means there will be around 1300 after 45 days provided the leveling up pace is constant. Even at 1300 that is still less than 0.5% of the total population (using 500000 accounts).

Hardly time to press the panic button, but still allows for time to get some end game content in place. People just need to calm down, take your time. The game still needs work. Even if you did power level to max chances are things are going to be nerfed, changed, etc. and that character you thought was good won't be so good after all. Happens in every MMO.

LOL. You cant multiply it like that. If you think there will only be 1300 admirals by day 45 you're crazy.

Better way to figure it is that the game has approximatley 50 hours to max level.
    The average person plays anywhere from 2 to 4 hours per day.
    If you play roughly 3 hours a day 50/3 = about 16 days
    If you play roughly 2 hours a day 50/2 = about 25 days

Not many people play less then 2 hours a day but Im sure alot of people play more then 3.
    edited February 2010
    Will probably get called a rusher, but I hit the cap in 59 hours 21minutes, I did a /played soon as I hit it. STO is clearly casual to the extreme, this seemed really fast compared to the last MMO I played which was AION.

I'm not really going to say anything bad about this game but surely creating atleast one or two fleet actions for each rank wouldn't be that hard.

I like the game but I'm not a casual player but there should be content atleast as they did say that average player will take around 80 hours to hit cap and even at 3 or 5 hours a day that is still really fast to do.

I enjoyed playing the game 1-45 but, I feel that the time should've possibly been doubled and have more interesting missions inbetween and obviously more fleet actions. I think that anyone that thinks the current amount of fleet actions is fine just doesn't really care about the game.
    edited February 2010
    Soluss wrote: »
    LOL. You cant multiply it like that. If you think there will only be 1300 admirals by day 45 you're crazy.

Better way to figure it is that the game has approximatley 50 hours to max level.
    The average person plays anywhere from 2 to 4 hours per day.
    If you play roughly 3 hours a day 50/3 = about 16 days
    If you play roughly 2 hours a day 50/2 = about 25 days

Not many people play less then 2 hours a day but Im sure alot of people play more then 3.

50 hours to max level? Rubbish - only if you rush through everything. If it was 50 hours, we would be seeing a lot more admirals by now. Even then, most admirals now just farmed defend missions - great waste of money and time ;)
    edited February 2010
    Torgrim wrote: »
    Why do people think that the game "starts" at max level?

Why is more more fun to raid same 1-2 instances than the entire game experience?

What does it matter what people find fun?

This is like me berating you for thinking STO itself is fun.

People like different things <
    is this not the arguement all over the forums?
    edited February 2010
    50 hours to max level? Rubbish - only if you rush through everything. If it was 50 hours, we would be seeing a lot more admirals by now. Even then, most admirals now just farmed defend missions - great waste of money and time ;)

K, if you say so. What exactly is "rushing" ? Is "rushing" not playing the game YOUR way?
    edited February 2010
    Punkwasher wrote: »
    there is no such thing as an infinite game.
    Ultima Online, Puzzle Pirates (lol) and best of all, DWARF FORTRESS.

I think Character Levels is the most stupid game mechanic that ever made it into RPGs.
    I'd type out why but there is someone that already wrote an academic article about it which you can read here.
    edited February 2010
    K, if you say so. What exactly is "rushing" ? Is "rushing" not playing the game YOUR way?

Doing missions available to you it seems.
    edited February 2010
    Even then, most admirals now just farmed defend missions - great waste of money and time ;)

How was that a waste of anything? I had actually fun grinding the defend missions, meeting the same people again and again while making contact. Which isnt that certain, when you got a dozen maps and even more player switching through them. I even made / make a lot of Credits because just a few people can deliver higher drops at the moment.

And if you mean it was a waste of real money by buying the game and rushing to maxlevel. Well, I need to object here too, because I already got about 100 hours playtime (quite a time since I last checked and server is down) so thats a lot compared to the costs and the playtime in f.x. offlinegames. And of course...I´m still playing.

I really don´t understand why everone needs to denounce "powergamer" or their playstyle in some way. Shouldn´t it be our common goal to get together, think about whats needed to be fixed, adjusted or added and work with cryptic to make a better game, that does not fail after the first month because of lack of content and too many bugs / low user-friendliness?
    edited February 2010

wrong... 50 hours just doing every quest out there, doing exploration/deep encounter quests to fill the gaps where there are no quests anymore to level up + 4-5 pvp matches. not skipping anything, just... playing.
    edited February 2010
    The other thing I want to bring up to you all that are making fun of the "power gamer". Remember this ...

1. The "power gamer" is the one who first finds bugs and reports them.
    2. The "power gamer" usually writes guides that many of you read.

By the time you get there hopefully what the "power gamer" had found is already fixed so you dont have to deal with it.

Remember that next time you berate one.
    edited February 2010
    The other thing I want to bring up to you all that are making fun of the "power gamer". Remember this ...

1. The "power gamer" is the one who first finds bugs and reports them.
    2. The "power gamer" usually writes guides that many of you read.

By the time you get there hopefully what the "power gamer" had found is already fixed so you dont have to deal with it.

Remember that next time you berate one.

3. the "power gamer" is the one who puts the pressure on the devs to put out new content for EVERYBODY.
    edited February 2010
    In fact, there's no fleet actions after the Crystalline Entity.

Hmm, that's kind of disturbing.
    edited February 2010
    This game to me feels quite fast past paced for leveling, and in my eyes there are two types of mmo's, ones that focus on leveling up and others that focus on end game content. With the quickness of this game, i really think it should focus on end game, 5 group instances and raidisodes.

I'm currently captain, the episodes to captain have been good i must admit, but as the op pointed out, there was no fleet actions after crystalline entity, which was kind of sad, as they were definitely fun and different.

I think the game could do with more grouping game play, and the possibility for better loot.

Hopefully the new patch is the end game, which the dev's have spent extra time on tweaking, before adding.

Really hoping this game does well, end game is important to players who wish for something to keep the playing.
    edited February 2010
    hell it would be fine for now if they just put the fleet action into level brackets so you can do and choose from them whatever your lvl is.
    edited February 2010
    What does it matter what people find fun?

This is like me berating you for thinking STO itself is fun.

People like different things <
    is this not the arguement all over the forums?

Still haven't answered my question.
    edited February 2010
    I must say to the OP that he has ewery right to complain. Why? Well, becouse like al other MMO's ot there this one has no end game contet at release. I realy do not uderstand the peo,e who say ''even WOW had no end game at launch'', now what exacly is that suposed to mean anyway? its yust compareing one poor start to another!

The fact is that for the past 5-8 years almoust ewery game game that has come out in MP/MMO branch has been unfinished at release with lots of contet missing and beeing added in a month-2 monts time. So for my that is not a succesful launch of the product and the fact that it can go by in the player base all ower the wold without hitting the rock botom in sale numbers is even more astonishing fact. but then we players are expected to swallow all they trow at us and by happy. game companies have seen that it can slide that way and they are exploithing this. so i'm not ashamed and newer will by to use download and play illegal coppyes of the games and not give my money half finished products.

on the other note, i do nto understand the no brainers who say ''you rushed throu the game and thats what you deserve''. he payed for the game same as the rest of us and its the game publishers fault not to give the devs enough time to finish the game properly.

if from 2 playable fractiones in the game 1 has no content and some other advertised mayor parts of the game are non existant like''to boldy go where no one has gone before'' that in any logical, clearthinking person is not a succesful release of the product.

So kudos to the OP.
    edited February 2010
    Both Molten Core and Onyxia were available on November 23, 2004 of the launch of World of Warcraft. Also there was Upper Black Rock Spire a 10 man dungeon (at the time it was 10 man), Lower Black Rock Spire, and Black Rock Depths.

Now I am not saying this to be a fan boy or dismiss anything that Cryptic has done. Just trying to set the record straight. Anyone who says that WoW had no endgame when launched simply has not clue what they are talking about.

As to the leveling in this game, its not difficult. I am taking my time and enjoying it. Yet I am a Commander already and at this pace will be a Admiral in a few weeks. Yet there is already a slowing of episodes and missions available to me.

I love this game and think its great, it simply is kinda shallow on content at this time.
    edited February 2010
    Seems like we just keep repeating ourselves in this post :-p

Now with 100s... yes 100s of Admirals this subject is going to start to grow. Hopefully we see some of the end game stuff "soon" :-p

Yes WoW did have an end game. I dont know where people are getting it did not. But that is besides the point as of now I guess? :)
    edited February 2010
    I appreciate you rushing through and revealing this...

STO has no content... like CO... because Cryptic does things on the cheap. Why bother to make a game complete - when they can just wait and see if people will buy it first?

Sadly, this seems to be the way almost every MMO company operates these days.
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad I have a wife and job. Otherwise I'd be dissapointed by STO right now too.
    edited February 2010
    Cregan wrote:
    I'm glad I have a wife and job. Otherwise I'd be dissapointed by STO right now too.

but.... but !!! i degrade you to ensign ! writing this, there comes an idea to my mind. why not giving us admirals the ability to create fleet actions just like the arena system works... and creating sandbox style mission quests where we can send the carebear lieutenants to and get a piece of their reward ? hell yeah..
    edited February 2010
    Why is this guy an admiral?
    edited February 2010
    I have complete faith in Cryptic adding end game contents in future updates. Start Trek Online is going to be a major hit especially with the Star Trek cult following. Cryptic will have plenty of finances to continue to develop and grow the STO experience. :cool: