What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    mrrick14 wrote: »
    hi,

i just wanted to throw it out there that the minimum spec'd graphics card may be overstated.

i'm ruinning an Athlon X2 4850E w/ 2 Gb system RAM of which 512mb are shared with integrated Geforce 8200 graphics and I'm having a good time playing w/ basically the default graphics settings. no eye candy, but I'm playing without buying a new card or increasing my power usage.
    And getting a lot of lag and poor FPS. There is a difference between playable and enjoyable. I have the eye candy and a FPS between 70-90 at a resolution 1920x1200. I can do fleet action without lag.
    edited January 2010
    Kick @ss system.
    You ready don't need RAID. The game maps will load a lot quicker, 1-3 seconds where for me 10-18 seconds. Once it's load the CPU, GPU and RAM takes over. But if you got the money go for it.

EDIT: But if you do video edit that RAID will give you a huge performance boost.

Running a 2-drive AID0, I get about 7-9 second load times, except sector space which is an instant load and turbolifts at about 3 seconds... oddly enough it's almost exactly the same as the slower dell. Guess that one just loads less stuff with the lower detail.
    edited January 2010
    im buying a new computer and it comes with Galaxy GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 256MB DDR2 and was wondering if it will run sto just fine aslo comes with a Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 Processor 2gig ram thnx for the reply
    edited January 2010
    pepper23 wrote: »
    im buying a new computer and it comes with this kind of video card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4353651&sku=G458-8404 and was wondering if it will run sto just fine aslo comes with a Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 Processor thnx for the reply

Unfortunately, the 8400 GS is not a gaming card. STO will play on it but at low resolution and settings and you will see lag.

Here's a list of GPUs. You need to make sure your power supply can support them.

Graphic Gaming cards:
    Entry level:
    ATI HD 4650 and 4670 cards only needs a 400 W PSU.
    Nvidia Geforce GT 240 needs a 350 W PSU
    Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT needs a 400 W PSU.
    All four of these cards usually do not need a 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level med. Price ranges on these cards are under $100.00. The ATI's usually a better choice here on a price/performance.

Mid Level:
    ATI HD 4850,4890, 5750, 5770 and the Nvidia 9800 GT, 9800 GTX, GTS 250 needs a 450 to 500 W PSU with one 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level High. Price Range: $100-230.00.

High End:
    ATI HD 5850, 5870, 5970. Nvidia GTX 260, 275, 295 needs a 550 to 750 W PSU with two 6 pin or 1 6pin and 1 8 pin PCIE cables. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level Very High. Price Range: $250.00-600.00.
    edited January 2010
    ok last one my friend has this setup and runs sto fine only diff is the cpu and not sure if the cpu will run it this one has a NVIDIA Geforce 8100 built into the mainborad with a AMD Athlon II X2 215 Dual Core Processor and 1gig ram
    edited January 2010
    ok last one my friend has this setup and runs sto fine only diff is the cpu and not sure if the cpu will run it this one has a NVIDIA Geforce 8100 built into the mainborad with a AMD Athlon II X2 215 Dual Core Processor and 1gig ram

An Athlon II X2 CPU is just fine and will run STO well. The 8100 however is going to be a lag ditch.
    edited January 2010
    how laggy? my sisters pc has this built in NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 and only lags in some areas but not all and the lag is still playable and thats with everything on high
    edited January 2010
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) while creating a texture

This is the error message. Any fix yet? :eek:
    edited January 2010
    MacMan94 wrote: »
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) while creating a texture

Post that here
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70
    edited January 2010
    MacMan94 wrote: »

"Paralles" not supported!!!!!!!!
    edited January 2010
    Thinking of spending some financial aid on a new tower, this is what I am looking at:

Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X4 630 Quad-Core CPU
    RAM: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 - Corsair
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4670 – 1GB -x2 (CrossFire Mode, with dual monitors)

Any suggestions on possible changes? A few things to keep in mind, I run two monitors, and have no intention of stopping. I am on a college student's financial aid budget so I am on limited funds.

Thanks for your help.
    edited January 2010
    Thinking of spending some financial aid on a new tower, this is what I am looking at:

Any suggestions on possible changes? A few things to keep in mind, I run two monitors, and have no intention of stopping. I am on a college student's financial aid budget so I am on limited funds.

Thanks for your help.

Everything is fine. Can only make one suggest since this is a new built is to get a better video card. The 4670 is a good card but maybe a 4850 or the new 5670 or 5850. But if cash is issue right now you can always upgrade later. Make sure your power supply can support your crossfire setup.

When buying a power supply plan for future upgrades. Like if you get the two 4670 but later you want the 5850. That way you don't have to buy a new PSU and have to replace it. Also make sure it's "80 Plus" and either SLI/Crossfire certify. This way you know you got a good PSU. Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec, Enmermax, Thermaltake, and PC Power & Cool to name a few are all really good PSU manufactures. Never get XION, Roswell, and RAIDMAX. And if it's in your bedroom think quiet. Nosy PSU and cases with bright lights can make it hard to sleep. Oh, and make sure your case can handle the heat that two video cards will create.

Power Supply Calculator

EDIT: Get a good CPU fan/heatsink. Zalman or Cooler Master two name a couple. I am big into cooling.
    Liqiud Cooling require maintence and if leak bye, bye MB.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the input White Knight
    edited January 2010
    All my system requirements check out, except the graphics card which I don't know about. I have a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100. Will this graphics card allow me to run STO?
    edited January 2010
    Oh, and make sure your case can handle the heat that two video cards will create.

EDIT: Get a good CPU fan/heatsink. Zalman or Cooler Master two name a couple. I am big into cooling.
    Liqiud Cooling require maintence and if leak bye, bye MB.

If possible get a card with a full size heatsink, with exhaust on the back... that minimizes the amount of heat going into your system from the video card. Most nVidia cards GT 240 and above have that, but it's hit or miss on ATI cards.

As far as the CPU/heatsink, don't worry about that too much. The stock Intel ones are pretty decent nowadays. If your CPU doesn't come OEM with the fan, though, you need to spend at least $35 or $40 or it's not going to keep your processor cool
    edited January 2010
    All my system requirements check out, except the graphics card which I don't know about. I have a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100. Will this graphics card allow me to run STO?

Laptop, right? Unfortunately you're stuck with what you have except a rare few models. You'll have to try it and see.
    edited January 2010

More than likely it will not since minimum is a GeForce 7950, but it's worth trying to see if it works. Although not all laptops are out. For example, I'm running STO on my laptop, the only computer that can run it that I own, and I have a nVidia GeForce GT 230M and a Quad-core processor (Which is at 1.6GHz), and it runs PERFECTLY on it.
    edited January 2010
    Just in case someone wants to know: The game will run great on a 3800+AMD single core w/9500GT Nvidia card with 2gigs RAM. Doesn't lag at all...I was amazed...... 1024x768 Graphics looks quite nice actually..... No lag, no stuttering at all I was quite surprised the thing would even run......uhhh did I mention that loading into sector space only took me 10+minutes to do so? And I finally gave up when loading into a enemy signal contact within Sector Space.
    So to sum it up the game will run great on lower speced computers ... just takes a hell of a long time to load zones....
    Just thought inquiring minds would want to know :)
    edited January 2010

Thanks for your help.

Best thing to do with that ATI card is to jerk it out and go lay it in the middle of the freeway
    I despise ATI...
    *sigh* thanks.... I feel better now......
    edited January 2010
    the min. req. is a intel core 2 duo 1.8 ghz does that mean that a intel pentium 4 3.2 ghz cpu will not be powerful enuff to play the game?

If you like extra long loading screens the game will run great .....Soon as it loads the next area...
    My AMD is like 2.6 ghz singlecore..
    Thankfully my other is Intel 2.5Duel core Vista 4gig ram and the same 9500GT card as the AMD has and it runs it great @1680x1050 had to tweak some things to get smooth but looks great and runs extremely well
    edited January 2010
    Lysthis wrote: »
    If you like extra long loading screens the game will run great .....Soon as it loads the next area...
    My AMD is like 2.6 ghz singlecore..
    Thankfully my other is Intel 2.5Duel core Vista 4gig ram and the same 9500GT card as the AMD has and it runs it great @1680x1050 had to tweak some things to get smooth but looks great and runs extremely well

The load time is from your hard drive. We run it on a pentium D 3.0 (P4 3.0ghz dual core) with no issues in load times. 3-5 second turbolifts, 5-8 second sector space, 10 second star systems, 15 second planets and stations. It's really not much slower than my primary system for that.
    edited January 2010
    Lysthis wrote: »
    Just in case someone wants to know: The game will run great on a 3800+AMD single core w/9500GT Nvidia card with 2gigs RAM. Doesn't lag at all...I was amazed...... 1024x768 Graphics looks quite nice actually..... No lag, no stuttering at all I was quite surprised the thing would even run......uhhh did I mention that loading into sector space only took me 10+minutes to do so? And I finally gave up when loading into a enemy signal contact within Sector Space.
    So to sum it up the game will run great on lower speced computers ... just takes a hell of a long time to load zones....
    Just thought inquiring minds would want to know :)
    10 minutes. Lol That is so funny. This is priceless.

Thanks I needed that.
    edited January 2010
    10 minutes. Lol That is so funny. This is priceless.

Thanks I needed that.

LOL, indeed!

Hey WhiteKnight, did you see all of those people complaining about how their PCs are overheating while playing STO? And we warn them, and we tell them cooling is important and getting a decent CPU is important, but do they listen? ;)
    edited January 2010
    how laggy? my sisters pc has this built in NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 and only lags in some areas but not all and the lag is still playable and thats with everything on high

does STO run with a NVIDIA 6100 then?
    edited January 2010
    LOL, indeed!

Hey WhiteKnight, did you see all of those people complaining about how their PCs are overheating while playing STO? And we warn them, and we tell them cooling is important and getting a decent CPU is important, but do they listen? ;)
    Yes, they just won't learn. I hate stock fans, they cost AMD and Intel less the $5.00 and people think their good enough for demanding 3D gaming and Video editing.

Right now I am trying to get people to re-install windows to get STO working. This one guy had DD Online and believe it corrupted some files. I don't know if that true but it fix the problem.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1497679&postcount=71
    edited January 2010
    does STO run with a NVIDIA 6100 then?

If you want lag, poor fps, long load times and forget about fleet action then yes it does.:rolleyes:
    edited January 2010
    Yes, they just won't learn. I hate stock fans, they cost AMD and Intel less the $5.00 and people think their good enough for demanding 3D gaming and Video editing.

Right now I am trying to get people to re-install windows to get STO working. This one guy had DD Online and believe it corrupted some files. I don't know if that true but it fix the problem.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1497679&postcount=71

Funny you mention that. I have DDO installed (and run it sometimes when open beta is down), and no problems on the same PC. And yup, I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM. :)

That poor guy just has some other problem on his PC or with downloaded files.
    edited January 2010
    If you want lag, poor fps, long load times and forget about fleet action then yes it does.:rolleyes:

Well, not so much "run" as "drag itself along the ground by one (relatively) good arm trailing bit and pieces it would rather keep". ;)
    edited January 2010
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Knight
    If you want lag, poor fps, long load times and forget about fleet action then yes it does.
    KlingonCer wrote: »
    Well, not so much "run" as "drag itself along the ground by one (relatively) good arm trailing bit and pieces it would rather keep". ;)

Lol, .........
    edited January 2010
    KlingonCer wrote: »

hahaha, and melting the heatsink compound and the plastic retaining pins until the cooler falls off and the GPU commits suicide. ;)
This discussion has been closed.