test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Bornan wrote: »
    yeah in the post above they said minimum was geforce 7950 and your above that.

It will play but at low resolution and settings. Read the last 8 pages for setting info.
    edited January 2010

7950 > 8400

7950 is probably between a 8600GTS and a 8800GT
    edited January 2010

Actually a 8400 GS is below a 7950. You just need to understand how Nvidia names things. x600 is the start of their gaming cards ie 7600 or 8600. The 7950 was their high end cards. And GS is the lowest grade card. GS, GT, GTS, GTX. I always get GTS and GT miss up. Nvidia keeps changing them
    edited January 2010
    It's good that this game is popular. But I want to play.:( They order new servers.:D
    edited January 2010
    It's good that this game is popular. But I want to play.:( They order new servers.:D

Just keep mashing enter every time it pops you back, you'll get through eventually

May help to alt+enter to windowed mode and then maximize, that way you can alt tab out to yak on forums without minimizing =)
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno- Which browser do you use? Me Firefox. Some users can't get STO launch to work and MSHTML.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1470611&postcount=28

A course I keot IE8 update. I just can't figure out why they can't launch. I had them download install the client again. Update drivers, reinstall IE8 and defrag. The only thing left is to re-install the OS.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    Just keep mashing enter every time it pops you back, you'll get through eventually

May help to alt+enter to windowed mode and then maximize, that way you can alt tab out to yak on forums without minimizing =)

I'm in thanks
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno- Which browser do you use? Me Firefox. Some users can't get STO launch to work and MSHTML.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1470611&postcount=28

A course I keot IE8 update. I just can't figure out why they can't launch. I had them download install the client again. Update drivers, reinstall IE8 and defrag. The only thing left is to re-install the OS.

Chrome myself... Check lan settings in IE though... Tools > options > connections > lan settings, try unchecking automatically detect (check it again if it doesn't help, sometimes things break) Also make sure there's no proxy set if there shouldn't be one
    edited January 2010
    I've been running it on an ATI x1400 mobility and it runs fine except I can't change resolutions
    edited January 2010
    I've been running it on an ATI x1400 mobility and it runs fine except I can't change resolutions

Should be interesting... Edit your <star trek install folder>/star trek online/live/localdata/gameprefs.pref in notepad ( WITH GAME CLOSED!!)

Look for something like:
    PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenHeight 1080
    PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenWidth 1920

Change those to what you should have... the height should be the smaller number.
    edited January 2010
    how do I check to see if I got min regs on my laptop.

I'm running windows vista, and everything seems to check out good on the game except I can't do anythin beyond character creation. So maybe my graphics card needs to be upgraded but I don't know how to check for it. any help would be appreciated.
    edited January 2010
    B.harris wrote:
    how do I check to see if I got min regs on my laptop.

I'm running windows vista, and everything seems to check out good on the game except I can't do anythin beyond character creation. So maybe my graphics card needs to be upgraded but I don't know how to check for it. any help would be appreciated.

You can't upgrade a laptop GPU. What do you have?

Run STO Test
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    edited January 2010

Some of the 17 inchers actually have an onboard mini pci-e, but it's real specific as to what you can put in it... we can upgrade our laptop from a mobility x1400 to a mobility x1600, but not much above that. Plus it would cost like $250.
    edited January 2010

Run STO Test

thanks, I found out from the tests that my CPU and my video card need to be upgraded. don't know how I'm gonna do that but it does tell me that I need to cancel my pre-order now before gamestop charges me for it. I also should bookmark the 2nd site you gave me for future reference.
    edited January 2010
    i have the beta running fine on AMD athlon 64 on 8400GS
    edited January 2010
    I have had the 8800 and now 4870x2. They can get huge hence why I went for a super sized case so there is plenty of space. With an accelero cooler ontop of my 4870x2 it takes up so much space it hides one of my pci-e slots! Still it keeps it lovely and cool.
    edited January 2010
    B.harris wrote:

Run STO Test
    thanks, I found out from the tests that my CPU and my video card need to be upgraded. don't know how I'm gonna do that but it does tell me that I need to cancel my pre-order now before gamestop charges me for it. I also should bookmark the 2nd site you gave me for future reference.

well those benchmarks tests telling me it is impossible that my machine will run it at all - but it works quite well only three things are extreamly laggy - fleet actions with a quadrilupe of enemy ships, the ground tutorial near kelly at open beta start, and pvp battles with alot of players laying mines like mad. everything else is playable.

my system ;)
    P- IV @ 2.8gHz (singel core)
    2 gigs ddr2
    with a geforce 7600GT
    so way below the recomended settings ...
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    White Knight, what's your opinion on this? Iffy on the HP part but i7-920, 1TB, 9GB RAM, and GTX 260 1.8gb(????) for $1200 seems really quite cheap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147038&cm_re=gtx_260-_-83-147-038-_-Product

Edit - NM it has horrible reviews

Any other sugestions? lol
    edited January 2010
    hows this for spec wise? •Desktop with AMD Phenom™ II X4 805 quad-core processor with true multicore processing, Direct Connect Architecture, 8GB DDR2 memory and 1TB hard drive
    •Desktop also features a double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive, ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics, analog/digital TV tuner, built-in device holder, multi-in-one media reader and Windows 7 Home Premium.

i figured id pop in like a 260 geforce after that, think would run most games up to date pretty good?
    edited January 2010
    hows this for spec wise? •Desktop with AMD Phenom™ II X4 805 quad-core processor with true multicore processing, Direct Connect Architecture, 8GB DDR2 memory and 1TB hard drive
    •Desktop also features a double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive, ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics, analog/digital TV tuner, built-in device holder, multi-in-one media reader and Windows 7 Home Premium.

i figured id pop in like a 260 geforce after that, think would run most games up to date pretty good?

The CPU and GPU are better then my. Sounds very good.
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    and if thats not enough i think ill just get this package,
    • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
    • 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
    • 640GB RAID 0 (2 x 320GB SATA HDDs) - performance
    • 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
    • HP 2009m 20-inch 16:9 HD Ready Widescreen Monitor
    • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW
    wasnt bad at all came to like 1200$ leme know if this is what i should look into was pretty close to what you had posted.
    edited January 2010
    and if thats not enough i think ill just get this package,
    • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
    • 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
    • 640GB RAID 0 (2 x 320GB SATA HDDs) - performance
    • 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
    • HP 2009m 20-inch 16:9 HD Ready Widescreen Monitor
    • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW
    wasnt bad at all came to like 1200$ leme know if this is what i should look into was pretty close to what you had posted.

Need to replace 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 = 9500 GT. All that power and you are going to put in a non gaming card.
    edited January 2010
    Need to replace 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 = 9500 GT. All that power and you are going to put in a non gaming card.

hows this for a card. 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
    edited January 2010
    hows this for a card. 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]

this is pretty much the full build on the pc i have.

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-170t PC

AZ221AV#ABA

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
    6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
    640GB RAID 0 (2 x 320GB SATA HDDs) - performance
    1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
    LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
    15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
    No TV Tuner
    Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
    No speakers
    HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
    Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month
    HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
    edited January 2010

Much Better
    edited January 2010
    this is pretty much the full build on the pc i have.

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-170t PC

AZ221AV#ABA

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
    6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
    640GB RAID 0 (2 x 320GB SATA HDDs) - performance
    1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
    LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
    15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
    No TV Tuner
    Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
    No speakers
    HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
    Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month
    HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Kick @ss system.
    You ready don't need RAID. The game maps will load a lot quicker, 1-3 seconds where for me 10-18 seconds. Once it's load the CPU, GPU and RAM takes over. But if you got the money go for it.

EDIT: But if you do video edit that RAID will give you a huge performance boost.
    edited January 2010
    Kick @ss system.
    You ready don't need RAID. The game maps will load a lot quicker, 1-3 seconds where for me 10-18 seconds. Once it's load the CPU, GPU and RAM takes over. But if you got the money go for it.

well its my 1st gaming pc an id like to just go all out i have 1500$ an it just hits the 1300$ marker with all those specs so i figure what the hell may as well get a nice one for my 1st gaming pc if im gona get one.
    edited January 2010
    hi,

i just wanted to throw it out there that the minimum spec'd graphics card may be overstated.

i'm ruinning an Athlon X2 4850E w/ 2 Gb system RAM of which 512mb are shared with integrated Geforce 8200 graphics and I'm having a good time playing w/ basically the default graphics settings. no eye candy, but I'm playing without buying a new card or increasing my power usage.
    edited January 2010
    well its my 1st gaming pc an id like to just go all out i have 1500$ an it just hits the 1300$ marker with all those specs so i figure what the hell may as well get a nice one for my 1st gaming pc if im gona get one.

If you're happy go for it. This system will handle any DX10 game for the next 4 years or more. We as gamers tend to upgrade our GPUs every time we feel the need to so. When Nvidia new DX11 cards start coming out in March and if you have a game that support DX11 and the graphics are really, really good you may wish upgrade your GPU then. But those games will plays on a DX10 card just fine. It just any special DX11 features DX10 cards wont be able to process. That being said STO is only a DX9 game.

PS: If you do video edit that RAID will give you a huge performance boost.
This discussion has been closed.