test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    You're at recommend specs. No surprise. What's your FPS? Run Fraps.

Well it's kind of a surprise for me .... i can barely get past 30fps on ground with 4npcs around me.

You would think i could do better with a GTS 250 and a core i7. :)
    edited January 2010
    That part easy.

But how do you get MB info and their get CPU supported list?

Edited previous post.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio8000/en/CS/index.htm#processor

Mobo model is on packing slip and on the "my configuration" page on dell support, as that depends on hardware revision.
    edited January 2010
    Connelli wrote: »
    Well it's kind of a surprise for me .... i can barely get past 30fps on ground with 4npcs around me.

Post your resolution, driver version and your /star trek online/live/localdata/gameprefs.pref file (open in notepad)... be sure to delete your account name partway down through it.

I'm currently on a GTS 250/C2Q and i get 50-55fps with 5-10 npcs, there's gotta be somethign funky with your settings
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    Post your resolution, driver version and your /star trek online/live/localdata/gameprefs.pref file (open in notepad)... be sure to delete your account name partway down through it.

I'm currently on a GTS 250/C2Q and i get 50-55fps with 5-10 npcs, there's gotta be somethign funky with your settings

I already posted my specs and game preferences in this thread.

In a nutshell:
    AA is at 2x
    AO is OFF
    DoF is OFF
    Shadows on LOW

As stated, using Core i7 2.67, 6gig ram DDR3 tripple channel, GTS 250 1 gig

I tried both latest drivers 195.62 and older drivers 190.62
    edited January 2010

Yes, I am now getting 70 - 90 FPS with a bunch of stuff running in the background. And when Cryptic and Nvidia work the bugs out we should see FPS over 100 easy. On X3 The Reunion I average 167 FPS. And that game is way more 3D demanding then STO.
    edited January 2010
    Yes, I am now getting 70 - 90 FPS with a bunch of stuff running in the background. And when Cryptic and Nvidia work the bugs out we should see FPS over 100 easy. On X3 The Reunion I average 167 FPS. And that game is way more 3D demanding then STO.

I sure hope so! :D
    edited January 2010
    I sure hope so! :D

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-191.07-Windows-7-%7C-Vista-64-download-2399.html

Maybe see if that makes a difference? You really should be getting better framerates than me with that processor.
    edited January 2010
    I already posted my specs and game preferences in this thread.

In a nutshell:
    AA is at 2x
    AO is OFF
    DoF is OFF
    Shadows on LOW

As stated, using Core i7 2.67, 6gig ram DDR3 tripple channel, GTS 250 1 gig

I tried both latest drivers 195.62 and older drivers 190.62
    If you put you specs in your signature it would be easier. We are replying to so many people. I lose track.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-191.07-Windows-7-%7C-Vista-64-download-2399.html

Maybe see if that makes a difference? You really should be getting better framerates than me with that processor.

I'm using XP 64. You think that could be the problem?
    edited January 2010

Possibly... I can't even find 191.07 xp64, but it has always run a little funky. You have no idea how much trouble it is to try and support it in a xp32 work environment ><

This is going to sound odd, but on my older system, we get a better framerate at 1680x1050 than we do at 1280x800... Maybe that's worth a try, if your monitor supports it? I notice you're at 1024x768.
    edited January 2010
    If you put you specs in your signature it would be easier. We are replying to so many people. I lose track.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1412871#post1412871
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    This is going to sound odd, but on my older system, we get a better framerate at 1680x1050 than we do at 1280x800... Maybe that's worth a try, if your monitor supports it? I notice you're at 1024x768.

I changed the resolutions multiple times, to no avail.
    edited January 2010

Windows XP 64 is a OS that almost all manufactures ignore. They don't write, test or support it. It wasn't until Vista 64 came out the Windows 64 started getting support and Window 7 64 is the new standard. So yes it could very will be the problem.
    edited January 2010
    Windows XP 64 is a OS that almost all manufactures ignore. They don't write, test or support it. It wasn't until Vista 64 came out the Windows 64 started getting support and Window 7 64 is the new standard. So yes it could very will be the problem.

I'll install win 7 when i get a chance and let you guys know.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    eVGA GTX 260 Primary | eVGA 8600 GTS-OC PhysX

Does having another card to run physics help a lot Aeterno?
    Can it be any card?
    edited January 2010
    Have you tried dropping the lighting to minimum? Lighting and physics debris made the biggest impact on our slower system.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:

I am going to try those drivers. I hate running older drivers.
    edited January 2010
    Should my pc specs run the game on reasonable settings? or am i being optimistic
    edited January 2010
    jedispam wrote: »
    Should my pc specs run the game on reasonable settings? or am i being optimistic

You're find. Just read the last three or four pages about settings and nvidia drivers.
    edited January 2010

You'll love Windows 7.
    edited January 2010
    Does having another card to run physics help a lot Aeterno?
    Can it be any card?

I'm not sure on ST:O, but on other games I was astonished at the difference. Max detail crysis warhead 1080p jumped from 19fps to 37 fps, the saboteur from avg 50fps to solid 60fps.

The GTX 260 is on RMA and won't be back until tuesday (mailed it out Tuesday, so I haven't tried it on ST:O), then this GTS 250 is going into the Dell and the 8600GTS is retiring to permanent physx... then I can see how it works out.

The card has to support CUDA, iirc that means minimum 8600 GT, or any GT 200 card. A geforce gt220 for like $40 is probably a good choice.
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, Windows 7 is a godsend for Windows users. I love everything about it (except Homegroups sometimes).

And Crysis doesn't use PhysX though. Is it just the SLI that showed the benefit, there?
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    Possibly... I can't even find 191.07 xp64, but it has always run a little funky. You have no idea how much trouble it is to try and support it in a xp32 work environment ><

At else we agree on something.:D

PS, The older Dells don't have that kind of info. It's good to see them changing it.
    edited January 2010

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

Run that first, it'll tell you anything you -need- to go find drivers for, though I'd recommend not letting windows do driver updates other than on the initial install. It borked me to 4 color mode with an automatic video driver update a while back.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

Run that first, it'll tell you anything you -need- to go find drivers for, though I'd recommend not letting windows do driver updates other than on the initial install. It borked me to 4 color mode with an automatic video driver update a while back.

Good idea. :) I should have pointed that out.:(
    edited January 2010
    At else we agree on something.:D

PS, The older Dells don't have that kind of info. It's good to see them changing it.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052939 That's my 4yr old system, but that was also a $2800 system at the time (woohoo 57% off)

I started supporting them about a year and a half ago... they redesigned the site about 4 months later, made it broken as all heck, then another 2 months later they got it to the point where it's actually the easiest to navigate of any support site. HP's... that one is something else. Half the time you load it up and you get a blank white background with plain black text spaced over about 15 pages instead of it formatting properly.
    edited January 2010
    Good idea. :) I should have pointed that out.:(

Ever tried a custom video driver install on an ATI card? Only time I've ever seen a windows XP machine in 2 color mode.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    I started supporting them about a year and a half ago... they redesigned the site about 4 months later, made it broken as all heck, then another 2 months later they got it to the point where it's actually the easiest to navigate of any support site. HP's... that one is something else. Half the time you load it up and you get a blank white background with plain black text spaced over about 15 pages instead of it formatting properly.

Everyone I help with Dells are like 3 years or older. It's was actually easier to ID HP MB. I as you mention most manufactures use ASUS boards.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    Ever tried a custom video driver install on an ATI card? Only time I've ever seen a windows XP machine in 2 color mode.

Lol .....................
    edited January 2010
    Everyone I help with Dells are like 3 years or older. It's was actually easier to ID HP MB. I as you mention most manufactures use ASUS boards.

Dell used to be really weird about hardware... somewhere around here I have a Dell Geforce 6800 256mb.

Not a rebranded card, it's actually made by Dell. Nobody else made a 6800 256, you could only get 256mb in the gt/gtx. That card isn't even good enough to need 256mb.
This discussion has been closed.