What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    MARXUS wrote: »
    in case you missed it the first time lol:eek::cool:

Run Flaps. If you can't get over 50 FPS consistently your machine sucks.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    Sounds about like mine... usually Y!IM, vuze, 8-10 tabs open in chrome, plus the evga precision OSD and a 5x4 grid of icons in my sys tray. Check the mem usage on Norton though... I'm using the corporate version (Symantec Endpoint Protection RU5), grand total of 15mb mem usage.

Norton 2010 runs very lite. And Windows 7 does a really nice job of resource manager. Those P4's have no idea what they are missing. When that MARXUS guy gets his new machine he going to thinks his old one was cr@p.
    I'll have to add my specs into my .sig at some point.

It helps with Tech Support.
    edited January 2010
    Norton 2010 runs very lite. And Windows 7 does a really nice job of resource manager. Those P4's have no idea what they are missing. When that MARXUS guy gets his new machine he going to thinks his old one was cr@p.

He could always pass it off to the live-in GF like I did =D My upgrades are exciting for her cause she gets the hand me downs... Trying to get her hooked on ST:O so I can persuade her to let me build at least a C2D system for her.

I'm really tempted to install on the Core Solo 1.7ghz/Mobility Radeon x1400 laptop and see what happens. Maybe that'll be my weekend project.
    edited January 2010
    My computer is 8 years old but i was still hoping i could run it. Of course, it was just not to be :(

...Which is why I'm buying an eMachines ET1331G-03W Desktop PC with AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor & Windows 7 Home Premium and 6GB RAM and with a better video card (NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT), I'll easily be able to run this game! :)
    edited January 2010
    Looks like I have to upgrade my system afterall as my power supply decided that it didn't want to play with me anymore. It took my cpu and motherboard with it. Luckliy my hard drive and dvd drive were unaffected. Currently have no way of testing my video card and sound card until I put together the new system. Looking at the following parts

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0Ghz Socket AM3 65w Dual-Core
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3

I would like to get the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 Ghz 125w Quad-Core, but that is dependent on my finances. Either way I will have to get new Windows, as my Windows XP was OEM. I would be going full retail version this time, Windows 7 Professional. The only thing I haven't deceided in that regard is 32-bit install or 64-bit install.

I already picked up a Thermaltake Black Widow 850w power supply.
    edited January 2010
    For those looking at buying a new computer, check this one - may be a better deal than what you've found

http://dealnews.com/Dell-Studio-XPS-8000-Core-i5-2.66-GHz-Desktop-PC-w-20-LCD-for-899-13-s-h/342202.html

Dell studio xps 8000... $900
    " It features an Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz quad-core processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB Serial ATA hard drive, DVD burner, ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB video card, 802.11n wireless, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit." Also includes a 20" widescreen

The only weak link there is the video card, but even then it's decent. You can always buy another card for ~100-$150 on Newegg.com and add it in.
    edited January 2010
    Rekhan wrote:
    We just updated the FAQ, but wanted to call it out here, as well. Star Trek Online's system requirements are as follows:
    System Requirements
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Memory: 1GB RAM Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM Recommended System Configuration
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+ Memory: 2GB RAM+ Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+ Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Link to the news article.

These are wrong as I am using a a geforce 6800xt (AGP) and the game runs fine now probs at all
    edited January 2010
    Massaca wrote:
    if anybody is intrested...

intel duo 8400 (3Gh (OC too 3,45Gh) , 4GB-RAM (OC to 920-FSB) , 8800GTX (756 GB-RAM)->XFX-version

this is my hardware, and i can play the game, with all advanced grafic-options on the highes lvl

--> (1680-1050 pixel-view)

have no problems in space and no problems on ground... can turn the view on a planet with much vegetation fast around without problems...

edit, using -> win7-64bit-prof

in fleetaktion with many asteroids and phaserfire it goes down to 45, but no lagging to see

ground action i don'T have made since installing fraps
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    For those looking at buying a new computer, check this one - may be a better deal than what you've found

http://dealnews.com/Dell-Studio-XPS-8000-Core-i5-2.66-GHz-Desktop-PC-w-20-LCD-for-899-13-s-h/342202.html

Dell studio xps 8000... $900
    " It features an Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz quad-core processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB Serial ATA hard drive, DVD burner, ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB video card, 802.11n wireless, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit." Also includes a 20" widescreen

The only weak link there is the video card, but even then it's decent. You can always buy another card for ~100-$150 on Newegg.com and add it in.

Sorry, but much better deals here http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ can get a AMD or Intel i3 custom gaming PC with a GTX 260 for under $800.00. Need help pick parts let me know. Better choices.
    edited January 2010
    cabal1202 wrote: »
    Looks like I have to upgrade my system afterall as my power supply decided that it didn't want to play with me anymore. It took my cpu and motherboard with it. Luckliy my hard drive and dvd drive were unaffected. Currently have no way of testing my video card and sound card until I put together the new system. Looking at the following parts

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0Ghz Socket AM3 65w Dual-Core
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3

I would like to get the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 Ghz 125w Quad-Core, but that is dependent on my finances. Either way I will have to get new Windows, as my Windows XP was OEM. I would be going full retail version this time, Windows 7 Professional. The only thing I haven't deceided in that regard is 32-bit install or 64-bit install.

I already picked up a Thermaltake Black Widow 850w power supply.
    My liquid cooling system burst. Took out my 939 MB and GPU. Had to buy new CPU, MB, GPU, and RAM. I did it for around $500.00.
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, but much better deals here http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ can get a AMD or Intel i3 custom gaming PC with a GTX 260 for under $800.00. Need help pick parts let me know. Better choices.

It's all about what you want to get... a -comparable- i5 system from cyberpower is over $300 more, ($200 if you don't get monitor), even if you take off the hideously garish default case.

This is probably not worth going back and forth over too much... most people are going to get what they're going to get no matter what they see here ;)
    edited January 2010
    My liquid cooling system burst. Took out my 939 MB and GPU. Had to buy new CPU, MB, GPU, and RAM. I did it for around $500.00.

Ouch... That's pretty lame.
    edited January 2010
    I have an AMD Athlon x2 3600+ and it's working with the beta.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    It's all about what you want to get... a -comparable- i5 system from cyberpower is over $300 more, ($200 if you don't get monitor), even if you take off the hideously garish default case.

This is probably not worth going back and forth over too much... most people are going to get what they're going to get no matter what they see here ;)

You can chose a difference case. You don't see the beauty here. These are after market parts easy upgrades. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI MBs you can get BIOS updates. You can't do that with pre-built systems like Dell, HP, Gateway and so on. That's what we as systems builder want.

Just because someone can't build a custom system doesn't mean they can't have one, and enjoy the same benefits we do. You get more machine for the money.
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, well in reference to my GTX 260 not being able to do the antialiasing, it all works perfectly when I'm stopped. If I just stand in one spot and spin the camera around I get a high FPS with sliders completely to the max on every setting, both in space and on the ground. However, on the ground, if I start running in a direction, I get a stutter every two seconds or so. You guys are saying this is caused by the 195.81 drivers?
    edited January 2010
    You can chose a difference case. You don't see the beauty here. These are after market parts easy upgrades. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI MBs you can get BIOS updates. You can't do that with pre-built systems like Dell, HP, Gateway and so on. That's what we as systems builder want.

The Dell systems I support at the university I work at are at BIOS revision 19 after 13 months on the market... they release more updates than my ASUS board has received. As far as the upgradeable parts, they have their own proprietary motherboards which are a crazy combination of ATX and BTX, but they still have the exact same ports and take the same standard drives, power supplies, and cards. There's really no difference other than the logo on the front of a case. It's actually rather nice having all of the hardware updates available from one website, instead of having to bounce around to all your manufacturers.

That said, I do prefer a home built system... that's just intimidating to some people, which is the appeal of something like a Dell.
    edited January 2010
    aewyn wrote: »
    Hmm, well in reference to my GTX 260 not being able to do the antialiasing, it all works perfectly when I'm stopped. If I just stand in one spot and spin the camera around I get a high FPS with sliders completely to the max on every setting, both in space and on the ground. However, on the ground, if I start running in a direction, I get a stutter every two seconds or so. You guys are saying this is caused by the 195.81 drivers?

The game is in BETA. Cryptic and Nviidia will work this out. Try the 190.62 for now.
    edited January 2010
    I know the game is in beta, genius. That doesn't mean I just sit on my hands. As for rolling back, heck no. I was asking for clarification.
    edited January 2010
    I know the game is in beta, genius. That doesn't mean I just sit on my hands. As for rolling back, heck no. I was asking for clarification.

Well, you can be a jerk to him and no one will help you or you can take what others say about AA having issues in open beta. :rolleyes:
    edited January 2010

Also try dropping your character and terrain details down to 100%... it may be an issue of loading an excessive amount of information from the hard drive.
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize being told that a game that's in beta is in beta isn't condescending. :rolleyes: Asking for clarification on an issue doesn't mean I'm kicking and screaming. I'm only curious if it's certain that nvidia drivers past 190.62 are the cause of the stuttering issues.

Aeterno, I will try that. I think that is one slider I didn't play with. I sort of wish there were separate graphics sliders for space and ground.
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize being told that a game that's in beta is in beta isn't condescending. :rolleyes: Asking for clarification on an issue doesn't mean I'm kicking and screaming. I'm only curious if it's certain that nvidia drivers past 190.62 are the cause of the stuttering issues.

Aeterno, I will try that. I think that is one slider I didn't play with. I sort of wish there were separate graphics sliders for space and ground.

It's not 190.62... i'm on 191.07 with no issues. Haven't heard anything from people between 191.07 and current though. I'd be curious to see someone on 32bit try the 195.94 beta drivers and see what happens.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    It's not 190.62... i'm on 191.07 with no issues. Haven't heard anything from people between 191.07 and current though. I'd be curious to see someone on 32bit try the 195.94 beta drivers and see what happens.
    195.94? Hmm. I'm using Win7 64 and the newest beta driver I see is the one I'm using...

GeForce/ION Release 195 BETA 195.81 December 15, 2009

Space flight runs fantastically, there's no problem there. And my FPS on the ground is good too, it just stutters slightly. I did think it might be a hard drive steaming issue. One of my drives has started clicking. D:
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    The Dell systems I support at the university I work at are at BIOS revision 19 after 13 months on the market... they release more updates than my ASUS board has received. As far as the upgradeable parts, they have their own proprietary motherboards which are a crazy combination of ATX and BTX, but they still have the exact same ports and take the same standard drives, power supplies, and cards. There's really no difference other than the logo on the front of a case. It's actually rather nice having all of the hardware updates available from one website, instead of having to bounce around to all your manufacturers.

That said, I do prefer a home built system... that's just intimidating to some people, which is the appeal of something like a Dell.

Dell renames their MB or show only "System Manufacture" on the DX report on their newer machines. Really hard to ID. I and most other are not certify to support Dell, so unlike you we don't have access to that kind of info. Try finding Dell MB and CPU support info with only model # and services tag. It's not easy and becoming harder all the time.

So you should see it's better not to buy a pre-built PC. Unless you are will to help people upgrade their Dells.
    edited January 2010
    195.94? Hmm. I'm using Win7 64 and the newest beta driver I see is the one I'm using...

Space flight runs fantastically, there's no problem there. And my FPS on the ground is good too, it just stutters slightly. I did think it might be a hard drive steaming issue. One of my drives has started clicking. D:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

5th from the top... Nobody's found the x64 version yet though so it doesn't help us.
    edited January 2010

You'er on a netbook! Your not going to get FPS over 30. And in Battles you'll be in single digital. You need to play this game at 1024x768 and turn off AA

3 settings that helped a lot were:
    Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion : OFF
    Depth of Field : OFF
    Shadows : LOW
    edited January 2010
    Hm. Seems a bit sus. Anyway, I prefer ship combat anyway so I don't mind waiting for a fix. Just hoping it does get fixed. If it's just my hard drive, well, I'll go off to buy an SSD then :D
    edited January 2010
    Dell renames their MB or show only "System Manufacture" on the DX report on their newer machines. Really hard to ID. I and most other are not certify to support Dell, so unlike you we don't have access to that kind of info. Try finding Dell MB and CPU support info with only model # and services tag. It's not easy and becoming harder all the time.

So you should see it's better not to buy a pre-built PC. Unless you are will to help people upgrade their Dells.

They redesigned the site about a year ago... support.dell.com, click manuals on the left side, enter your service tag, click get manuals, view, and it has pretty much everything you need.

Edit -- erk, linked the wrong page... http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio8000/en/CS/index.htm has the technical specs, the mobo model is listed on the packing slips and "my system configuration" as it changes with hardware revisions.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio8000/en/SM/cards.htm#wp1193399 is an example, it's actually more comprehensive on how to pull stuff out than my ASUS manual

Some of the newer systems even have flash-based videos of how to replace parts in the system, but that may be limited to the primary production models like the lat. e6400 and optiplex 760 that each make up something like 20% of their sales.
    edited January 2010
    You'er on a netbook! Your not going to get FPS over 30. And in Battles you'll be in single digital. You need to play this game at 1024x768 and turn off AA

3 settings that helped a lot were:
    Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion : OFF
    Depth of Field : OFF
    Shadows : LOW

God yes, depth of field is a GPU hog.

Wasn't he talking about a GTX 260 earlier though? Could be that the driver is shared for the new ION platform AND the desktop cards.
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    They redesigned the site about a year ago... support.dell.com, click manuals on the left side, enter your service tag, click get manuals, view, and it has pretty much everything you need.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio8000/en/SM/cards.htm#wp1193399 is an example, it's actually more comprehensive on how to pull stuff out than my ASUS manual

Some of the newer systems even have flash-based videos of how to replace parts in the system, but that may be limited to the primary production models like the lat. e6400 and optiplex 760 that each make up something like 20% of their sales.

That part easy.

But how do you get MB info and their get CPU supported list?
This discussion has been closed.