test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Again, I really have to say thanks... Your advice has been incredibly helpful. I'm going to see if i can pick up one of those 17inch ASUS laptops right now!

Great, See you in game. Just one? What about the wife?

http://www.justin.tv/dnedry#r=CVfOOag
    edited January 2010
    Great, See you in game. Just one? What about the wife?

Well, hopefully two. But it's like when the oxygen mask comes down in an airplane... You need to take care of yourself before assisting others ;)
    edited January 2010
    when you need us......................................................korthos
    >
    edited January 2010
    i have seen they say 7950 or higher to run STO is there any chance i will be able to run the game with 7900 GS? any feedback would be good :) many thanks
    edited January 2010
    Trekifan wrote:
    i have seen they say 7950 or higher to run STO is there any chance i will be able to run the game with 7900 GS? any feedback would be good :) many thanks

Honestly we believe that the GPU Req. are a little high. You should be OK. I am guessing on that card STO should play med to high on lower resolutions.

edited January 2010
    ok thats great i just ordered it and was hoping it would be ok, that abit of piece of mind thanks :) i also have 4gb ram and daul core 1.8GHz on vista so hopefully will be ok? thanks again :)
    edited January 2010
    The only thing my system seems to be short on is the video - Radeon x1250. Also have to say I have a 250w power supply.

Will a Radeon HD 4350 cut the mustard? Only card I could find locally that is supposed to work with a 250w power supply that looks like it meets/exceeds the minimum.

The card has 512md memory and I have 3 GB DDR2.
    edited January 2010
    STObee wrote:
    The only thing my system seems to be short on is the video - Radeon x1250. Also have to say I have a 250w power supply.

Will a Radeon HD 4350 cut the mustard? Only card I could find locally that is supposed to work with a 250w power supply that looks like it meets/exceeds the minimum.

Radeon HD 4350 is below specs it will let you play STO at low settings, low resolution. Not very enjoyable.

Time to upgrade that video card and PSU.

Graphic Gaming cards:
    Entry level:
    ATI HD 4650 and 4670 cards only needs a 400 W PSU.
    Nvidia Geforce GT 240 needs a 350 W PSU
    Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT needs a 400 W PSU.
    All four of these cards usually do not need a 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level med. Price ranges on these cards are under $100.00. The ATI's usually a better choice here on a price/performance.

Mid Level:
    ATI HD 4850,4890, 5750, 5770 and the Nvidia 9800 GT, 9800 GTX, GTS 250 needs a 450 to 500 W PSU with one 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level High. Price Range: $100-230.00.

High End:
    ATI HD 5850, 5870, 5970. Nvidia GTX 260, 275, 295 needs a 550 to 750 W PSU with two 6 pin or 1 6pin and 1 8 pin PCIE cables. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level Very High. Price Range: $250.00-600.00.

Run the STO test
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    edited January 2010
    Radeon HD 4350 is below specs it will let you play STO at low settings, low resolution. Not very enjoyable.

Time to upgrade that video card and PSU.

Graphic Gaming cards:
    Entry level:
    ATI HD 4650 and 4670 cards only needs a 400 W PSU.
    Nvidia Geforce GT 240 needs a 350 W PSU
    Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT needs a 400 W PSU.
    All four of these cards usually do not need a 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level med. Price ranges on these cards are under $100.00. The ATI's usually a better choice here on a price/performance.

Run the STO test

Do those prices include the PSU? This computer was $600 new. Video Card + PSU + cost of STO is getting to be not worth it for a what a Klingon player will get out of STO.

Someone's got to make a STO capable video card for less than $100 that will work with a 250w PSU.
    edited January 2010
    STObee wrote:
    Do those prices include the PSU?

No
    This computer was $600 new. Video Card + PSU + cost of STO is getting to be not worth it for a what a Klingon plaer will get out of STO.

Was how many years ago? 3 - 4 years. Tech is always changing. Plus it was never met for 3D gaming. Never buy retail. Always research first before buying. Welcome to PC gaming. Time to join us in the 24th Century.
    Someone's got to make a STO capable video card for less than $100 that will work with a 250w PSU.

No

They are working on a xbox version. No release date.
    edited January 2010
    STObee wrote:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=9600+gt+low+profile&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17658922185837623786&ei=5qtKS9aZOYT4NauGlZAJ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAQ&os=tech-specs#techSpecSect5

If you can atleast get a 350 watt power supply you can run this card. I had to do this because my power supply was 350 watts.

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/8series/8600gt.aspx#4

I found another that is low profile for 300 watts, you may be able to run this card with a 250 watt power supply. I will let white knight explain how this is possible and leave the tech stuff up to him lol.

If you do some more searching you may be able to find a better low profile video card i only searched for 20 min and found those two.
    edited January 2010
    Torue wrote:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=9600+gt+low+profile&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17658922185837623786&ei=5qtKS9aZOYT4NauGlZAJ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAQ&os=tech-specs#techSpecSect5

If you can atleast get a 350 watt power supply you can run this card. I had to do this because my power supply was 350 watts.

I found another that is low profile for 300 watts, you may be able to run this card with a 250 watt power supply. I will let white knight explain how this is possible and leave the tech stuff up to him lol.

If you do some more searching you may be able to find a better low profile video card i only searched for 20 min and found those two.

If you are going to have to buy a PSU anyway why buy a 300W or 350W PSU to run a 2 years old card. Especially since the GeForce GT 240 which is a newer and better card run on a 350W. Where's the logical in that. Buy a 500W and get a today video card.

Please stop living in the pass.

EDIT: I help you out even though you were a big jerk. Why are you still making my life hard.
    edited January 2010
    Just wondering if my machine will be able to run STO with a good rez and no lag.

CPU: AMD64 X2 4400+ running at 2.3Ghz (dual Core)
    RAM:3GB DDR2
    GPU:Nivida GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR2
    HDD: 500 GB
    Light: really cool blue light comes from the power supply (that matters right?)

So if you guys could tell me how it will do. Thanks a bunch
    edited January 2010
    Just wondering if my machine will be able to run STO with a good rez and no lag.

CPU: AMD64 X2 4400+ running at 2.3Ghz (dual Core)
    RAM:3GB DDR2
    GPU:Nivida GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR2
    HDD: 500 GB
    Light: really cool blue light comes from the power supply (that matters right?)

So if you guys could tell me how it will do. Thanks a bunch

You should be OK.

Run the STO test.
    edited January 2010
    Torue wrote:

The only con (and Torue probably already knew this) is that 300-350 watts isn't much of a cushion if you foresee additional upgrades in the future. My pre-upgrade shopping suggested that most full-size, entry level GPUs need a PSU rated for at least 400 watts. So unless you know something we don't, (i.e., STO is the only title you're interested in for the foreseeable future, you're looking to acquire another system soon, your current system's case isn't very accomodating. . .) consider putting forth the extra dollars to minimize the likelihood of having to do this again next year.
    edited January 2010
    The only con (and Torue probably already knew this) is that 300-350 watts isn't much of a cushion if you forsee additional upgrades in the future. My pre-upgrade shopping suggested that most full-size, entry level GPUs need a PSU rated for at least 400 watts. So unless you know something we don't, (i.e., STO is the only title you're interested in for the foreseeable future, you're looking to acquire another system soon, you current system's case isn't very accomodating. . .) consider putting forth the extra dollars to minimize the likelihood of having to do this again next year.

Thank you. I agree.
    edited January 2010

So i will take that as the game will look good and i won't have lag issues. Thanks White knight
    edited January 2010
    So i will take that as the game will look good and i won't have lag issues. Thanks White knight

I am not saying that. I am saying that you meet Recommend System Requirement. This is a MMO. ISP speeds are a big issue. I don't believe you or myself can run this game at full settings. And I have a much better system then you. I would need a GTX 260 even then with ISP speeds across the USA I still will have issues.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,700972/Star-Trek-Online-Hands-on-benchmarks-technology-preview-and-new-screenshots/Practice/
    edited January 2010
    I am not saying that. I am saying that you meet Recommend System Requirement. This is a MMO. ISP speeds are a big issue. I don't believe you or myself can run this game at full settings. And I have a much better system then you. I would need a GTX 260 even then with ISP speeds across the USA I still will have issues.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,700972/Star-Trek-Online-Hands-on-benchmarks-technology-preview-and-new-screenshots/Practice/

I don't need to run it on full. i will be happy with a smooth running game. Heres another quick question if you could answer would be helpful. Can you upgrade a CPU on a OEM system?
    edited January 2010
    I don't need to run it on full. i will be happy with a smooth running game. Heres another quick question if you could answer would be helpful. Can you upgrade a CPU on a OEM system?

OEM = Pre-made PC from a Manufacture. Not over the counter parts you can buy and build yourself.

Usually no. DELL, HP, Compaq and ect.. don't want you to upgrade their systems, they want you to buy a new one. So they keep their motherboards a secret and rename them so to make it harder to find. They don't release BIOS updates unless it suites their needs. But if you search the web and look really hard you may be able to find which board you have. And what CPUs they support.

Run dxdiag.exe and cpuid as a start to get motherboard ID. Also, just open the case and look that board. I model # should be on it. Sometimes you just get luck and they didn't rename the MB.
    edited January 2010
    The only con (and Torue probably already knew this) is that 300-350 watts isn't much of a cushion if you foresee additional upgrades in the future. My pre-upgrade shopping suggested that most full-size, entry level GPUs need a PSU rated for at least 400 watts. So unless you know something we don't, (i.e., STO is the only title you're interested in for the foreseeable future, you're looking to acquire another system soon, your current system's case isn't very accomodating. . .) consider putting forth the extra dollars to minimize the likelihood of having to do this again next year.

The only other MMO I've played is Runescape, and yes, the only one I foresee playing in the near future is STO - as Klingon only. If the open Beta shows Klingons sauk then I won't play STO. If I have to pay more than $200 to upgrade (both the card and 250w PSU) I won't play STO. Anything more than $200 and I'll put it toward a new machine when this one dies (that may be 2-3 years). There are other things I can do and if STO is any good it will be a better game 2-3 years from now.

If the Radeon 4350 is capable of running STO at Runescape level resolution and that doesn't hurt my ability to compete in the game I can live with that.

Another possible option is the Radeon 5570, but that's not out yet, price unknown.
    edited January 2010
    STObee wrote:
    The only other MMO I've played is Runescape, and yes, the only one I foresee playing in the near future is STO - as Klingon only. If the open Beta shows Klingons sauk then I won't play STO. If I have to pay more than $200 to upgrade (both the card and 250w PSU) I won't play STO. Anything more than $200 and I'll put it toward a new machine when this one dies (that may be 2-3 years). There are other things I can do and if STO is any good it will be a better game 2-3 years from now.

If the Radeon 4350 is capable of running STO at Runescape level resolution and that doesn't hurt my ability to compete in the game I can live with that.

Another possible option is the Radeon 5570, but that's not out yet, price unknown.

Runescape is a java base game that runs off the browser and can run off almost any machine. STO is 8GB game. Comparing the two games graphically is like comparing a bicycle to a jet plane.
    edited January 2010
    STObee wrote:
    f I have to pay more than $200 to upgrade (both the card and 250w PSU) I won't play STO. Anything more than $200 and I'll put it toward a new machine when this one dies (that may be 2-3 years). There are other things I can do and if STO is any good it will be a better game 2-3 years from now.

As White Knight mentioned, you're playing an old flash game that doesn't need much in terms of a graphics card.

From what it sounds like, I'd get a new PC. Otherwise I wouldn't bother playing STO with what you have. With the few things you mentioned, your system is either already far, far out of date with a newer but low-end video card, or a value-line PC. It's not meant for gaming (and no, playing flash games is not categorized as "gaming" when people talk about system requirements).
    edited January 2010
    Hey your back.:D I feel like I gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson.
    edited January 2010
    Hey your back.:D I feel like I gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson.

lol, yeah, I know what you mean.

Well, I am still working 3-days a week, and when I'm on vacation I don't check/post much at the forums. ;)
    edited January 2010
    I don't need to run it on full. i will be happy with a smooth running game.

And there's the rub. The run "smooth" at low or medium resolutions still requires a good deal of graphic processing power.

And this is for everyone...

There are many reasons why you want some processing overhead, and with cheap cards, you're going to be maxing the GPU all the time.

100% load vs. partial load.

You'll want to keep your framerate near your monitor refresh rate most of the time. As one bonus, this prevents "screen tearing" (when you horizontal update lines that look odd). Also, when you sync the framerate with your monitor, you're capping the framerate (a good thing) and then leaving some overhead so that your video card doesn't have to work at 100% all the time. Working at 100% load all the time not only shortens hardware life due to heat, but it also draws exponentially more power at 100% vs. something like 70-80%. All of this works only if you have more GPU power than you need sometimes.

But the most important reason for running at partial load is so that you have the overhead you need when you reach graphically-intensive scenes. Framerate is not constant. It varies from one scene to the next. For example, 100 ships moving on your screen is going to be more graphically demanding than a dozen. A fight with tons of particle effects like explosions is going to be more graphically demanding than just phaser fire.

Heres another quick question if you could answer would be helpful. Can you upgrade a CPU on a OEM system?

What do you mean by OEM system? OEM in the PC building world refers to 1.) components sold with a new PC, and/or 2.) components sold without a retail package since they're intended to be added to a new PC before it is sold to the consumer. I assume you mean pre-built PC such as Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq, etc. If that's the case, please give us additional details of the make and model of the PC. Every PC is going to be different.

EDIT: I see where you got OEM now...
    OEM = Pre-made PC from a Manufacture. Not over the counter parts you can buy and build yourself.

White Knight usually gets things right, but a little off on that explanation. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer
    edited January 2010
    Cipher Nemo, This guy was streaming STO live yesterday. I just check it and the account been "suspended for violating the Terms of Service."
    edited January 2010
    Cipher Nemo, This guy was streaming STO live yesterday. I just check it and the account been "suspended for violating the Terms of Service."

Hahahaha, lovely. Cryptic FTW.
    edited January 2010
    Hahahaha, lovely. Cryptic FTW.

After watching it I may have to join a fleet. Some of these missions are hard. He was using a connie most of the time. He did some Klingon but did have the rack like he did for Fed. PvP looks fun.
    edited January 2010
    After watching it I may have to join a fleet. Some of these missions are hard. He was using a connie most of the time. He did some Klingon but did have the rack like he did for Fed. PvP looks fun.

Yes, joining a fleet for STO is much more important than joining a guild in some other games. However, you can always make use of the squad auto-join feature in-game to complete difficult missions (I think I can say that since NDA is lifted from closed beta, especially with STOked mentioning this as well?).
This discussion has been closed.