test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I do not know much about computers, got a new laptop for Christmas, will i be able to play with the following setup:

Windows Vista Basic

Processor: Pentium Dual-core CPU T4300 @ 2.10 GHz

Memory: 3.00 GB RAM

Chipset: Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family
    (if the chipset is not the same thing as the graphics card, i would greatly appreciate of someone with more experience with computers to find out what kind of graphics card i have..thanks so much)

PLEASE PM AT YOUR CONVENIENCE WITH ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE THAT YOU MAY HAVE WHETHER I WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY OR NOT...thank you! (Live Long and Prosper)
    edited January 2010
    This setup should run the game from mid/high visuals correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220621
    edited January 2010
    Superxnave wrote: »
    I do not know much about computers, got a new laptop for Christmas, will i be able to play with the following setup:

Windows Vista Basic

Processor: Pentium Dual-core CPU T4300 @ 2.10 GHz

Memory: 3.00 GB RAM

Chipset: Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family
    (if the chipset is not the same thing as the graphics card, i would greatly appreciate of someone with more experience with computers to find out what kind of graphics card i have..thanks so much)

PLEASE PM AT YOUR CONVENIENCE WITH ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE THAT YOU MAY HAVE WHETHER I WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY OR NOT...thank you! (Live Long and Prosper)

What is it's make/model?

On your PC search for dxdiag.exe run it. On the bottom there is a button "save all info" save as a txt file to the desktop, Open it and post the first two sections here.

Run the STO Test.
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    edited January 2010

Yup, that will be fine. :) The 220 is ok for mid-high settings at 1600x900.

EDIT: I had 240 on my mind for some reason. The 220 is still fine, but probably medium settings. It's much, much better than the 210 (double the pixel/texel throughput) but still not even mid-range gaming. Still, should be ok for mid settings at a decent frame rate.
    edited January 2010

Go with what cipher_nemo said.
    edited January 2010
    Yup, that will be fine. :) The 220 is ok for mid-high settings at 1600x900.

EDIT: I had 240 on my mind for some reason. The 220 is still fine, but probably medium settings. It's much, much better than the 210 (double the pixel/texel throughput) but still not even mid-range gaming. Still, should be ok for mid settings at a decent frame rate.

thanks a bunch mate =P already pre-ordered on amazon so maybe i'll see you in-game here shortly. :)

EDIT: you think i should possibly get a smaller display? would that help with a slightly lower resolution if i were to buy this instead?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220611
    edited January 2010
    What is it's make/model?

On your PC search for dxdiag.exe run it. On the bottom there is a button "save all info" save as a txt file to the desktop, Open it and post the first two sections here.

Run the STO Test.

System Information
    Time of this report: 1/6/2010, 18:55:28
    Machine name: EVAN-PC
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_ldr.090805-0102)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 1545
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A11
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 3032MB RAM
    Page File: 1358MB used, 4936MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
    edited January 2010
    System Information
    Time of this report: 1/6/2010, 18:55:28
    Machine name: EVAN-PC
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_ldr.090805-0102)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 1545
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A11
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 3032MB RAM
    Page File: 1358MB used, 4936MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

I need the second section of this report. I has the video info. Also the service tag # off the computer. It's on a sticker on the bottom of the case.
    edited January 2010
    What is it's make/model?

Run the STO Test.

I ran the STO tests. Honestly, i could not understand the first graph. So, i did the second graph and it said that my graphics card did not meet the minimal requirements. I still would like your opinion because i have been having mixed answers on this...thanks!
    edited January 2010
    I need the second section of this report. I has the video info. Also the service tag # off the computer. It's on a sticker on the bottom of the case.

Display Devices
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_02AA1028&REV_07
    Display Memory: 1292 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
    Shared Memory: 1260 MB
    Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: igdumdx32.dll,igd10umd32.dll
    Driver Version: 7.15.0010.1637 (English)
    DDI Version: 10
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 3/31/2009 10:55:28, 536576 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:

SERVICE TAG #= 65V50K1
    edited January 2010
    I ran the STO tests. Honestly, i could not understand the first graph. So, i did the second graph and it said that my graphics card did not meet the minimal requirements. I still would like your opinion because i have been having mixed answers on this...thanks!

I knew you would fail but I wanted to give you a reason why.

Intel graphics just sucks. There no better way to say it. Your laptop has a Intel GM45 GPU.

notebookcheck has this to say.
    has a worse performance in 3D games and video decoding.

Since you just got it for xmas can you return it? On notebookcheck on the right you'll see a list of GPUs. Class 1 is the best and cost a lot. Class 3 may be more in your price range. Class 3 will let you play STO on low settings. The order they are list are how good they are. Look at the ATI Mobility Radeon HD or Nvidia Geforce GPU. Stay away from Intel GPUs.

Remember dual-core CPU @ 1.8 GHZ or better and 2GB RAM (4GB is preferred)

Feel free to ask more question. cipher_nemo and I are always willing to help.
    edited January 2010
    Just wondering how my computer will handle this, thanks for the feedback.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.67GHz
    Windows 7 64bit
    4GB RAM DDR2
    8800GT 512MB
    edited January 2010
    I knew you would fail but I wanted to give you a reason why.

Intel graphics just sucks. There no better way to say it. Your laptop has a Intel GM45 GPU.

notebookcheck has this to say.

Since you just got it for xmas can you return it? On notebookcheck on the right you'll see a list of GPUs. Class 1 is the best and cost a lot. Class 3 may be more in your price range. Class 3 will let you play STO on low settings. The order they are list are how good they are. Look at the ATI Mobility Radeon HD or Nvidia Geforce GPU. Stay away from Intel GPUs.

Remember dual-core CPU @ 1.8 GHZ or better and 2GB RAM (4GB is preferred)

Feel free to ask more question. cipher_nemo and I are always willing to help.

I can most likey return it. Really appreciate the help. i will contact you again if i need some more help. Thanks!
    edited January 2010
    Hello all and Hey Night whats up bro time is counting down to tyhe game faster then it was dreamed and I am ready.
    edited January 2010
    Scotty the view screan says we need to upgrade...g...f...x?.... what does that meen? :confused:

Aye Cap'n it meens we gotta upgrade our system hardware sir..... I knew we should have stoped at the nearest outpost :mad:
    edited January 2010
    Just wondering how my computer will handle this, thanks for the feedback.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.67GHz
    Windows 7 64bit
    4GB RAM DDR2
    8800GT 512MB

You're good. Should play high.
    edited January 2010
    White Knight and cipher nemo I do realize that you two have a great knowledge of todays computer tech. I use to be that way myself till I got behind in all the computer tech knowledge from not having internet the last 2 years lol. I use to read every memory,video card, processor review on www.sharkyextreme.com. I am about to get a new rig soon. I had a few questions if you could forgive my earlier transgressions lol.

The website I will be buying from is http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/. If you two could go to this website and tell me what is the best ddr3, processor, motherboard, powersupply, videocard config,win7 64bit i can get for 900-1000 I would appreciate it. All the other configurations doesnt really matter to me. I dont need a great case pick the cheapest one, also take this into your calculation that i have a gt 9600 and i think i would like to sli it but if you see a better option than that then go with it.

K im going to break down my customization here and ask questions pertaining to each step.

For the case i choose: Azza Orion Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel because it was the cheapest one.

Internal USB Extension Module: NZXT Internal USB Expansion Module

I chose an extra fan Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case

The power supply I chose was: 800 Watts Power Supplies (CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready) Here is a question about power supplies and SLI Duel or Quad : What is necessary for a Duel SLI NVIDIA Series card out of the options. I have a 9600 gt low profile and if you decide I should go with a better card, select the power supply that would be necessary to SLI those two cards. Right now tho i believe that only one video card is necessary for me unless you decide i should SLI the 9600 but if I do that it brings up another question. I have a low profile 9600 Gt will I need the exact same card to SLI it or will any other 9600 gt card be okay to sli with this card.

For the processor I chose Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 here is another question is this the best processor for the money will an amd be a better solution or an old quad core intel? This is the problem i have because i have such a big tech gap from my previous knowledge of processors lol.

The Fan: Asetek LCLC 120 Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio (Venom Boost Extreme OC Certified)

Memory: 3GB (1GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand) [+0] More Brand ... I will upgrade more ram later.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+0] More
    I will buy another to SLI later maybe want to do a triple SLI since I have that capability on this motherboard, will the 800 watt quad sli power supply be sufficient for this?

Harddrive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System (1 x System)

Optical Drive: LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO : update this later also

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

I dont need a keyboard, mouse, or wifi internet card, already have these.

Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition) [+0] More versions ...

64-bit Edition

K here is my setup if you could tweak it better for less that would be great I am willing to sacrifice 3gigs of ddr3 memory for 2 gigs also the motherboard doesnt have to be a triple sli , dual sli would be fine I would perfer at a speed of 16X - 16X.

$1096 This was the price of everything from the website if you could post your best system configs for under this price it would be great thx guys
    edited January 2010
    alright. I've been doing more newegg surfing and have found a rig I like enough to buy. Here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229138

The only potential problem I can see is that it has 4 GB of DDR2 RAM instead of DDR3 RAM. How much of a difference does that make? I might spend a little more on an upgrade if it's worth it in your opinions. How difficult is it to upgrade the RAM in a computer like this?
    edited January 2010
    Torue wrote:
    White Knight and cipher nemo I do realize that you two have a great knowledge of todays computer tech. I use to be that way myself till I got behind in all the computer tech knowledge from not having internet the last 2 years lol. I use to read every memory,video card, processor review on www.sharkyextreme.com. I am about to get a new rig soon. I had a few questions if you could forgive my earlier transgressions lol.

The website I will be buying from is http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/. If you two could go to this website and tell me what is the best ddr3, processor, motherboard, powersupply, videocard config,win7 64bit i can get for 900-1000 I would appreciate it. All the other configurations doesnt really matter to me. I dont need a great case pick the cheapest one, also take this into your calculation that i have a gt 9600 and i think i would like to sli it but if you see a better option than that then go with it.

K im going to break down my customization here and ask questions pertaining to each step.

For the case i choose: Azza Orion Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel because it was the cheapest one.

I chose an extra fan Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case

The power supply I chose was: 800 Watts Power Supplies (CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready) Here is a question about power supplies and SLI Duel or Quad : What is necessary for a Duel SLI NVIDIA Series card out of the options. I have a 9600 gt low profile and if you decide I should go with a better card, select the power supply that would be necessary to SLI those two cards. Right now tho i believe that only one video card is necessary for me unless you decide i should SLI the 9600 but if I do that it brings up another question. I have a low profile 9600 Gt will I need the exact same card to SLI it or will any other 9600 gt card be okay to sli with this card.

For the processor I chose Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 here is another question is this the best processor for the money will an amd be a better solution or an old quad core intel? This is the problem i have because i have such a big tech gap from my previous knowledge of processors lol.

The Fan: Asetek LCLC 120 Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio (Venom Boost Extreme OC Certified)

Memory: 3GB (1GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand) [+0] More Brand ... I will upgrade more ram later.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+0] More
    I will buy another to SLI later maybe want to do a triple SLI since I have that capability on this motherboard, will the 800 watt quad sli power supply be sufficient for this?

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System (1 x System)

64-bit Edition

K here is my setup if you could tweak it better for less that would be great I am willing to sacrifice 3gigs of ddr3 memory for 2 gigs also the motherboard doesnt have to be a triple sli , dual sli would be fine I would perfer at a speed of 16X - 16X.

$1096 This was the price of everything from the website if you could post your best system configs for under this price it would be great thx guys

Oh, if you want the most bang for buck go with the AMD Phenom II. You get a lot more machine for $1000.00. You can put the saving towards a better GPU like a GTX 260. Then get 4GB of RAM. The Phenom II kick i5's butt. And you don't need HT. Trust me. It is all marketing.

The big thing about GPU and SLI power requirement is the total AMPS rating on the 12+ Volt. So if you GPU will state "Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps." And they will state a PSU will a certain wattage level to run a standard hardware configuration. So for multiple cards the PSU must meet the total amp that each card needs. 2 cards 18A each = 36A of the +12V.

Read this http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Power-Supply Nemo co-author it.

Here's food for thought. Why do you want SLI? SLI creates a lot of heat. And since you are talking about in the future to go SLI Quad that will create a whole lot of heat. This is the kind of heat that will bake your room in the summer and keep you warm during the winter.

You will need a case that can handle that kind of heat. A full town like Cooler Master's HAF 932 or ATCS 840 (My Wish List). There are other cases but this is to give you some idea.

Now both Nemo and myself recommend getting a really good single card like a GTX 285 Co-op or 295. But if you really want SLI we will help.

And I would also stay away from liquid cooling. The water pump is a moving part that can go bad. Self contain sound good but since you can't flush them like a non-self contain let they die sooner. And the non-contain ones need to be flush and clean every 6 mos. Too much work; and if it leak. I just lost my last system to that.

Question - Do you know how to build a system? It general concept is still the same. There are some differences but with help it's not really that hard. I just help 3 newbies build there first systems. Windows 7 is so much easier then XP and Vista. It will amaze you.

EDIT: Food for thuoght. We have one guy looking to get this system. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229138

Now the processor is not top of the line but he could always upgrade it to a Phenom II later. the really deal with is setup is the GPU. ATI Radeon HD 5850 is a $300.00 card.

One more thing when looking for PSU always make sure it's "80 Plus" certified. Google it.

I am sorry please read this post too.
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1292615&postcount=1432
    edited January 2010
    caseman417 wrote: »
    alright. I've been doing more newegg surfing and have found a rig I like enough to buy. Here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229138

The only potential problem I can see is that it has 4 GB of DDR2 RAM instead of DDR3 RAM. How much of a difference does that make? I might spend a little more on an upgrade if it's worth it in your opinions. How difficult is it to upgrade the RAM in a computer like this?

The latency of DDR3 is still not lower enough to give it a huge advantage over DDR2. If you looks at my setup. I pick my MB with that in mind. That's not a bad setup. That ATI 5850 is a really good card. Better then my little GTS 250. The good thing about this PC is it's consider a custom system. Easy to upgrade unlike HP, Dell, Gateway, Acer, ect..... You can add a Phenom II Black Edition if you wanted to.
    edited January 2010
    Torue wrote:

i should SLI the 9600 but if I do that it brings up another question. I have a low profile 9600 Gt will I need the exact same card to SLI it or will any other 9600 gt card be okay to sli with this card.

It needs to be the same type of card. 9600 GT = 9600 GT yes. 9600 GT / GT 240 is a no. The manufacture is not a issue. Now ATI can be mix. But research it first.

AMD on a price/performance is a better deal. More bang for the buck. For 1000.00 you could get a GTX 260 or a ATI 5850 and 4 GB RAM.

I suggest a good air cooler.

800 W PSU depends on the +12V AMP rating. IT could do two or four GTX 295

64-bit Edition

Still working on this. I realize I didn't do a good enough job answering you with my first post. I was setting up my landlord HTPC and write to you. Got a little off course.
    edited January 2010
    cipher_nemo I PM you
    edited January 2010
    Ouch, sorry to hear about your 260. :(

The 4200 will probably run the game, but you'd most likely want to turn down all graphics settings immediately when you load it the first time (or manually in the config file first). The client will probably auto adjust for your GPU anyways, but I've noticed it didn't do a good job on my GTX 295, nor did it adjust well on my 8800 GTX in SLI on another PC or 7600 GT on yet another. It might be laggy at times.

The RMA turned into a refund new egg no longer has the XFX GTX 260. I'm a little gun shy wth XFX products now the card died in just 32 days.

How does the the ATI 48xx's compare to the GTX 260?

What to do what to do
    edited January 2010
    gts 250 turned up today very happy with it role on feb!
    edited January 2010
    thx for the post white knight im really busy lol and tonight I will be hosting a party. I will have some more time later on tonight to research everything you told me. thx

Also to answer one of your previous questions about running 2 video cards and the heat issue. I relize what you are saying and it doesnt seem like there is a good way to keep systems cool for a budget. When you put money on other stuff like processor, memory, video card, motherboard , hard drive, operating system doesnt leave much room for much else on a 1000 dollar budget. I just want the ability to do this later on so i can upgrade as i go. I was just asking if it would be more beneficial to sli 2 gt 9600 then go with a current mid range gen video card. Also I have read from other people not disputing your opinion that you can sli 2 different 9 gen cards as long as they have the same design "looking for a better word maybe architecture". You can see how i can get so confused I am hearing different stuff from different people about sli and its driving me crazy lol. In actuality I only need one video card right now.
    edited January 2010
    Could anyone provide any help as to whether I should get a AMD Athlon II X4 620 2MB (4 x 2.6 GHZ) or should I get a AMD Phenom II X2 550 (2 x 3.1 GHz) AM3 7MB - Black Edition?

I realise the Phenom is only dual core and the Athlon Quad core, but can't help thinking the Phenom is still better?

Is that right or wrong?

Thanks for any help provided.
    edited January 2010
    mackerz wrote: »
    Could anyone provide any help as to whether I should get a AMD Athlon II X4 620 2MB (4 x 2.6 GHZ) or should I get a AMD Phenom II X2 550 (2 x 3.1 GHz) AM3 7MB - Black Edition?

I realise the Phenom is only dual core and the Athlon Quad core, but can't help thinking the Phenom is still better?

Is that right or wrong?

Go with the Quad Core... Phenom... It's got more Cache on the chip... its better than the Athlon.
    edited January 2010
    mackerz wrote: »

Is that right or wrong?

Yes, the Phenom II is better. It's has a L3 cache, more Transistor count, runs colder. Plus the AMD Phenom II X2 550 is a 4 core with the other two cores lock. A MB with a AMD South Bridge 750 (SB750) can unlock those cores giving you a quad core CPU on the cheap.:cool: I know sure sure that the Gigabyte boards will do this. I did it with my MB. MSI and DFI should too. Just Google your MB and unlock. You'll most likely need to flash the BIOS.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ition-surprise

Here's the link on the how to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKVYW4duiU

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/522657-list-am3-mbs-can-unlock-phenom.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-athlon-ii-x2_15.html

EDIT: Black Edition = Unlocked Multiplier. Easier to overclock.
    edited January 2010
    Case: Azza Orion Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel (Silver with Blue Lightning)
    Internal USB Extension Module: None
    Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
    Power Supply Upgrade: 1100 Watts Power Supplies [+94] (CyberPower Gaming Power Supply SLI/CrossFireX Ready)
    CPU: AMD Phenom™II X2 550 Black Edition Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+34]
    Cooling Fan: XtremeGear Ultra Triple Heatpipes Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) [+8]
    Motherboard: (3-WAY SLI Support) MSI NF980-G65 AM3 DDR3 NVIDIA 980a SLI Chipset DDR3 ATX w/ Built-in Integrated Graphic Video, HDMI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II, RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [+106]
    Memory: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1800MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+39] (Corsair or Major Brand)
    Video Card: None
    Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-35])
    Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
    USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)

total cost is 870 dollars , There is no video card with this pc but i have a 9600gt or I can go to new egg and get a current gen card either way i would like to pick my own video card out.

Let me know what you think about this system It has the dual core amd black edition cpu that can be unlocked to be a quad core depending if my motherboard lets me, but i figure i wont do that just upgrade the processor at a later date.
    edited January 2010
    Yes, the Phenom II is better. It's has a L3 cache, more Transistor count, runs colder. Plus the AMD Phenom II X2 550 is a 4 core with the other two cores lock. A MB with a AMD South Bridge 750 (SB750) can unlock those cores giving you a quad core CPU on the cheap.:cool: I know sure sure that the Gigabyte boards will do this. I did it with my MB. MSI and DFI should too. Just Google your MB and unlock. You'll most likely need to flash the BIOS.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ition-surprise

Here's the link on the how to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKVYW4duiU

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/522657-list-am3-mbs-can-unlock-phenom.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-athlon-ii-x2_15.html

EDIT: Black Edition = Unlocked Multiplier. Easier to overclock.

I see, I did read about it being Quad core but two cores were locked, but I would have to pay extra for a Motherboard that had the ability to unlock it though (for certain anyways) and even then I read it was not guaranteed to actually unlock them and have them work.

I was thinking of just leaving whichever CPU I was to get as it was, or just overclocking the Phenom normally without core unlocking.

Phenom sounds good either way, thank you very much for your help, and thank you to Pike1701A for your response also.
This discussion has been closed.