edited December 2009
    kmk777 wrote: »
    Radeon x3000 Series
    This is a laptop? Make/model?
  • Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    300 i have not 3000
    If this is a ATI "300" series then no this GPU wont work.
    edited December 2009
    Thanks I didn't know that about the logo, but I've seen it in games before.
    And you have a Nvidia card right?
    edited December 2009
    This is a laptop? Make/model?
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
    edited December 2009
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)

Do this, go the Start button and do a "search" for dxdiag.exe run it. On the bottom you'll see a Save All Info button. Save the report to a TXT files to the desktop. Open it and paste it here.
    edited December 2009
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: VGC-RC110G
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    Page File: 442MB used, 2010MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: None
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode Card name: RADEON X300 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x5B60)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_0005104D&REV_00
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    edited December 2009
    CIpher_nemo, do you or anyone know if this game will run better under Nvidia or ATI yet? A friend told me that Champions loading screen specifically states it runs better under Nvidia. Just wondeirng because I'm looking at a new system, and I don't have a preference either way, but do not want issues.

Not really. Different generation architectures of both ATI and NVIDIA cards each have their strengths in specific areas. At one time ATI cards were better with AA while NVIDIA cards were better with high resolutions. And that changes with each new architecture out there. I wouldn't really worry about that too much. Just use the raw fillrate performance of cards to compare them and go with whatever card appeals to you.
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: VGC-RC110G
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode Card name: RADEON X300 Series
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Unfortunately, that laptop might struggle with STO... quite a bit. First, the GPU is old, second the memory is low at 1GB, third the CPU is a Pentium D which will probably run it but just barely and probably not very well, and forth you have 128MB of video memory which is very low for a 2010 game. On top of that your laptop's LCD is 1600x1200 native, and to drive the game at that resolution, your GPU would choke. As you have a current resolution of 1280x1024, it helps, but visually it's sub-par since not at its native resolution or native aspect-ratio.
    edited December 2009
    And you have a Nvidia card right?

In my current garbage system i have an ati, but i've seen this on other people's systems. I've been doing some research tho and it looks like if i want to go with 2 cards SLI and Nvidia seem the way to go. But 1 ATI can almost match performance in some games. Do you think STO will be graphics intensive enough to require 2 cards - I'd like to think so at high res.
    edited December 2009
    In my current garbage system i have an ati, but i've seen this on other people's systems. I've been doing some research tho and it looks like if i want to go with 2 cards SLI and Nvidia seem the way to go. But 1 ATI can almost match performance in some games. Do you think STO will be graphics intensive enough to require 2 cards - I'd like to think so at high res.

For starters, the top single card out there right now is the NVIDIA GTX 295 which beats the new ATI 5870. But ATI will most likely release a 5870 X2 (dual GPU version of it) that will no doubt easily beat the GTX 295.

With that said, both of these cards can run games on high settings at extremely high resolutions or max settings at typical resolutions. There's no need for SLI or Crossfire, and it's a money sink in the end. Why? Multiple video cards give you more performance, but not all games will make use of that performance. So your framerate in games can improve anywhere from 10% to 90%. Most games will be around 40%, and I have a feeling STO will be around that mark as well. Furthermore, whenever you upgrade video cards, you're going to be stuck either buying two to four cards or waiting a long time to buy one new card that out performs your multiple card configuration.

I've done SLI with 7 and 8 series NVIDIA cards and I'm never going back to it. Dual-GPU cards like the GTX 295 and the new ATI 5000 series with future X2 models are more than enough. The 5000 series is a bargain right now when compared to the price of NVIDIA cards.
    edited December 2009
    Thanks cipher - you see a lot on the web about this stuff, but it's nice to get info from someone who's tried both first hand. I've been thinking to go with a i5 and it seems like a dualGPU card would get me a lot on the type of boards the i5 uses.
    edited December 2009
    Thanks cipher - you see a lot on the web about this stuff, but it's nice to get info from someone who's tried both first hand. I've been thinking to go with a i5 and it seems like a dualGPU card would get me a lot on the type of boards the i5 uses.

No problem. Yup, the Core i5 architecture is great and reasonably priced. The only real advantage of the Core i7 is more threading, a slight bandwidth increase, and triple-channel memory. But I don't think that justifies the price difference. I bought my Core i7 when the whole Core iAnything was new. I would have been more than happy with a Core i5 since my i7 is overkill anyways.

If you want a top card, I'd highly recommend the 5870 right now. It's future-proof with native DX11 support. All DX10 cards will support DX11, but they won't get all of the performance benefits of DX11. So when the gaming industry switches to DX11, the ATI 5000 series will get a huge performance bump, making them the best bang for your buck now and in the future. Or you can wait for NVIDIA's response to the ATI 5000 series (most likely the NVIDIA 300 series). But I just read recently that ATI (AMD) is releasing a 5970 soon, which is a dual GPU version of the 5870.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,2491.html
    edited December 2009
    I don't think you'll see any game improvement for STO with SLI as long as have a GTX 260 or better. I am not a fan of SLI. I had two 7950 GT once. Heat from them will warm your room in the winter and bake you in the summer. Increase electric bill. Just get a really good GPU.

cipher_nemo has a GTX 295 Co-Op video card which is overkill for STO but for other games especially with physx it's a great card.

EDIT: cipher_nemo, I really need to check the second page before response.:D
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I'm on Tom's Hardware right now giving myself a crash course lol...a lot of people i know personally keep saying nvidia and i even earlier posted the same but the more i read about the 5000 series the more i like it from both a future potential and price standpoint
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I'm on Tom's Hardware right now giving myself a crash course lol...a lot of people i know personally keep saying nvidia and i even earlier posted the same but the more i read about the 5000 series the more i like it from both a future potential and price standpoint
    There's been times that I almost got a ATI card. The price/performance is better then Nvidia. Nvidia has physx but there not that many games with it yet. It's looks cool on Batman but not the kill feature yet, if ever.
    edited December 2009
    cipher_nemo has a GTX 295 Co-Op video card which is overkill for STO but for other games especially with physx it's a great card.

EDIT: cipher_nemo, I really need to check the second page before response.:D

Hehehe, no worries. :)

As for my GTX 295, I really do need it to get high settings. I run on three 19" monitors for a combined gaming resolution of 3840x1024 (over 3.9 million pixels). I run all of that with a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go Digital device. A 30" monitor with 2560x1600 would be 4.1 million pixels, so I'm right there at a very high resolution. SLI helps a great deal with high resolutions, so that's why I've run it in the past. But with the 295, it's really two GTX 260 GPUs in one card for an internal SLI that helps a lot with high resolutions.

If I max all graphics settings, I can slow my system to between 20 and 30 FPS at that resolution. I can't talk about specifics of settings for STO due to the NDA. But then again, any developer's client isn't going to be the same power-hungry beast when it comes time to release it (due to tweaks and refinements). For released MMOs in general I can max all settings except AA and still meet and exceed my Vertical Sync for 60 FPS. So yes, I can turn everything up and force just about any game to get laggy even on my rig due to the resolution. Sheer number of pixels makes a huge difference. :)
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, no i totally understand about the NDA. All this has been a huge help, both you guys. I know its been said, but what the two of you are doing to help guys like me is HUGE! I'm sure I'll find some more questions for you guys in the next while if you don't mind - thanks again!
    edited December 2009
    Quiet. Too quiet. I'm scare.
    edited December 2009
    Not sure if my system is up to specs. Can someone let me know?

AMD Turion X2 64 2.0Ghz
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M

Everything else is fine. Thanks in advance.
    edited December 2009
    Rohon wrote: »
    Not sure if my system is up to specs. Can someone let me know?

AMD Turion X2 64 2.0Ghz
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M

Everything else is fine. Thanks in advance.
    Should be able to play STO at low setting.

Run STO test
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    edited December 2009
    Hey y'all. I decided based on your advice to just spend the money on a brand new PC tower ( I already have an HD monitor) Here's the specs, thanks for all your advice along the line!

HP Pavilion Elite e9200z PC
    • Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    • AMD Phenom(TM) II X4 920 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MT/s]
    • 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
    • 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    • 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
    • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    • Premium Wireless-N LAN card
    • 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
    • HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
    • Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    • Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month
    • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

You may have to upgrade your power supply in this computer to run one of the better video cards i know for a fact HP puts 300 watt psu's in their form factor cases
    edited December 2009
    Here are my specs:

Gateway GT5228

CPU - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    CPU Speed - 2.21 GHz
    RAM - 1.9 GB
    Video Card - GeForce 6100
    DirectX 10
    Sound Card - Realtek High Definition Audio

I know that my video card's the main problem to tackle, otherwise I should be ok. Anyone know a good card I can use with this set?
    edited December 2009
    Here are my specs:

Gateway GT5228

CPU - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    CPU Speed - 2.21 GHz
    RAM - 1.9 GB
    Video Card - GeForce 6100
    DirectX 10
    Sound Card - Realtek High Definition Audio

I know that my video card's the main problem to tackle, otherwise I should be ok. Anyone know a good card I can use with this set?
    Your GPU is way below minimum requirements. If you are on a budget I would recommend a ATI HD 3650 or 4650. Both cards require PSU with at least 300 W. So you may need to buy one too.

Edit: I just found your specs. You should have a 300 W PSU in your system. You just need a GPU. And you'll need to disable the integrated GPU in the BIOS.
    edited December 2009
    Quiet. Too quiet. I'm scare.

Yup. For Wednesday and Thursday this week, things have been quiet everywhere. On the forums here, in my fleet's VoIP, in DDO I play, and on forums elsewhere too. Odd.

Thanks for helping out those who posted recently. :) I have perma paid-vacation Thursday and Friday every week until March 2010. So at home I spend more time gaming than I do checking the forums. ;)
    edited December 2009
    Yup. For Wednesday and Thursday this week, things have been quiet everywhere. On the forums here, in my fleet's VoIP, in DDO I play, and on forums elsewhere too. Odd.

Thanks for helping out those who posted recently. :) I have perma paid-vacation Thursday and Friday every week until March 2010. So at home I spend more time gaming than I do checking the forums. ;)
    A lot of unpaid overtime.
    edited December 2009
    A lot of unpaid overtime.

More like someone never told me I accrued 400 paid vacation days until just a couple of weeks ago, lol. ;)
    edited December 2009
    More like someone never told me I accrued 400 paid vacation days until just a couple of weeks ago, lol. ;)
    Four day weekends. Time to go skiing.:D
    edited December 2009
    Four day weekends. Time to go skiing.:D

Dude, I'm a computer geek, not a skier, lol. Time to plan out my PC projects, lol. My first one is making a nice wooden cart for my three 900W UPSes, complete with my cable modem, network switch, and other supplemental devices. Then it's on to switching out an old PC I use for my HTPC (runs MythTV) and getting the newer one configured. Then updating the Ubuntu distro of Linux from 7.10 to their latest on my server. And I have to switch out my gaming rig from Windows 7 RC-1 to RTM (been putting that off for a while since RC-1 is so stable). And then... oh, you get the idea. ;)

If I could retire tomorrow, I'd still have a million and one things to do with my time since I'm such a geek, lol. :D
    edited December 2009
    My friend said the that my motherboard could only support a Intel quad core Q6700 CPU.
    If I upgrade to this CPU along with a nvidia 9800 GTX and 4 gb of ram will I be able to play this game ?

Laren
    edited December 2009
    Laren wrote: »
    My friend said the that my motherboard could only support a Intel quad core Q6700 CPU.
    If I upgrade to this CPU along with a nvidia 9800 GTX and 4 gb of ram will I be able to play this game ?

Laren

Yup, no problem. It will be fairly smooth at moderate to high settings depending upon your gaming resolution.

But you didn't mention what CPU you have. If you have a Core 2 Duo CPU, you don't need to upgrade. If you have a Pentium D on a motherboard that can support Core 2 CPUs, then yes, upgrade.
This discussion has been closed.