What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    After researching this further, I've concluded that it's not a safe guess. There are a plethora of CPUs for LGA775 sockets that match the 65W TDP spec...

Celeron 4x5
    Celeron E1xxx
    Celeron E3xxx
    Pentium E2xxx
    Pentium E5xxx
    Pentium E6xxx
    Core 2 Duo E4xxx
    Core 2 Duo E6xxx
    Core 2 Duo E7xxx
    Core 2 Duo E8xxx
    Core 2 Quad Q7xxx
    Core 2 Quad Q8xxx
    Core 2 Quad Q9xxxS
    Core 2 Extreme X6xxx
    Xeon 31x0
    Xeon 31x3

IOW, needs more information to check to see what you have. Intel Celeron E to Intel Core 2 Extreme and Xeon is a HUGE range.

I am glade you see this. That's why I always ask for make/model. The MB must be able to support new hardware.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey y'all. I decided based on your advice to just spend the money on a brand new PC tower ( I already have an HD monitor) Here's the specs, thanks for all your advice along the line!

HP Pavilion Elite e9200z PC
    • Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    • AMD Phenom(TM) II X4 920 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MT/s]
    • 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
    • 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    • 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
    • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    • Premium Wireless-N LAN card
    • 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
    • HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
    • Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    • Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month
    • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey y'all. I decided based on your advice to just spend the money on a brand new PC tower ( I already have an HD monitor) Here's the specs, thanks for all your advice along the line!

• AMD Phenom(TM) II X4 920 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MT/s]
    • Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

Looks like a very nice PC... except for the video card. As is, it will run STO, but the graphics settings will have to be tweaked with that GT 220 card. I'd recommend a GTS 250 with that PC.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

• Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

cipher_nemo is right. That video should be replace. I see that HP store doesn't offer a better Nvidia graphic card (I am assuming you are getting it there). They do offer the ATI Radeon HD 4850 which would be great. It just doesn't support nvidia's physx which is a non-issue with STO and most games right now. You could try calling HP's 800 # and see if they can get you a better nvidia card if you really one.

You could also see if you have a local computer store and see if they can built one. You can bring the specs here. cipher_nemo and I can tell you if the specs they offer you are good. I assume that you are in New Jersey. Microcenter is a good place. They can built you a good system.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I was building it at the HP store, and I don't terribly mind that the settings may have to be tweaked. I didn't exactly have unlimited money to build it. :P If the sliders for detail aren't at the max, I won't be shocked.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I was building it at the HP store, and I don't terribly mind that the settings may have to be tweaked. I didn't exactly have unlimited money to build it. :P If the sliders for detail aren't at the max, I won't be shocked.
    Check out microcenter. Show them your the HP specs, they may be able to do you better.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There are ways to save money. You can get a dual-core, get only 4GB of ram, smaller HDD. The graphic card is more important for gaming.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just got an email from System Requirements Lab. They fix the CO test.
    Hi John

Thanks for taking the time and effort to contact us about the System Requirements Lab. We definitely strive to make the SRL as accurate as possible and with all the new hardware it is an ongoing effort. But getting help from good webizens such as yourself really helps.

We just made the change to add Windows 7 (also made a few other changes since they modified the requirements). Really appreciate your help – especially since publishers are being slow supporting Windows 7.

And if you have any other ideas, suggestions, critiques about the service, please contact me directly.

Thanks again for contacting us.

John Hussey

System Requirements Lab

Husdawg, LLC

It's good to know they actually listen.:D
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, I know everyone wants to save money these days. No worries. That 220 will work with STO and let you play it. In the future, when you do have a bigger budget, I'd upgrade that video card before doing anything else.
    I just on a email from System Requirements Lab. They fix the CO test.

Nice. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have a Radeon X 1650 Pro...I'm guessing this is insufficient?

If it is, I'm looking at upgrading to a GeForce 9500 GT, which would work, right?

Everything else is fine, it's the graphics card I'm not sure about.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have a Radeon X 1650 Pro...I'm guessing this is insufficient?

If it is, I'm looking at upgrading to a GeForce 9500 GT, which would work, right?

Everything else is fine, it's the graphics card I'm not sure about.

You'll want a 9600 GT or better. The 9500 GT is not a gaming card, but STO will play with that card at low graphic settings. You can also use a ATI HD 4650.

It would play better with a 9800 GT or GTS 250. ATI 4850 would also be a really good choice. Just for these cards you would need a PSU that is 450 WATTS and have a PCIE cable.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What is the time frame for a Mac Version of STO? I tossed out all my windows systems so I have to wait for Mac.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yadrathe wrote: »
    What is the time frame for a Mac Version of STO? I tossed out all my windows systems so I have to wait for Mac.

There is no known time line for a MAC version. If you have an Intel base MAC with a ATI HD 4650 or 9600 GT you could do boot-camp.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    *reads those requirements and bursts out in evil laughter*

My computer takes those requirements and facerolls them!

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (which I might be upgrading to 7, for FREE)
    Intel Core i7 processor
    nVidia GeForce GTX 260 graphics card
    6 gigs of RAM

Muahahaha!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    proudnerd wrote: »
    *reads those requirements and bursts out in evil laughter*

My computer takes those requirements and facerolls them!

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (which I might be upgrading to 7, for FREE)
    Intel Core i7 processor
    nVidia GeForce GTX 260 graphics card
    6 gigs of RAM

Muahahaha!

Congrats. :) Just remember there are many here struggling with trying to find out if their PC will handle it because they have budgets for how much to spend on upgrades, if even at all.

BTW...
    proudnerd wrote: »
    TNG>VOY>TOS>DS9>ENT, but that's just my opinion.

I fully agree :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I am not sure if this is has been touched on, but I was planning on getting the latest Atom Dual Core with Ion system from Acer. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103234&cm_re=revo-_-83-103-234-_-Product

I don't want to go out and get a completely new system upgrade and spend a grand or so, just for the game. I do a bit of video editing, and the ION powered system is supposed to be efficient for that. I'm currently on a home built system with a Radeon 9800 All in Wonder... ANCIENT!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There is no known time line for a MAC version. If you have an Intel base MAC with a ATI HD 4650 or 9600 GT you could do boot-camp.

Again a Mac doesn't need so much to run a program compared to windows. Do some research before you shout something. Anyways there is already a known way to run STO or any windows based game on a mac withouth boot-camp.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    McCartney wrote: »
    Again a Mac doesn't need so much to run a program compared to windows. Do some research before you shout something. Anyways there is already a known way to run STO or any windows based game on a mac withouth boot-camp.
    McCartney I am getting tried of you. To play this a you still need to meet requirement that windows does. If you are not going to be a positive force here "LEAVE US ALONE"!!!!! This game is not available for MAC. Get over it!

We are trying to help people. I have tried to be polite to you, but you are bent on trying to hurt people. I do not work for Cryptic! I am someone with a lot of computer knowledge and a fan of Star Trek. I do not care which OS is better, OK. Windows PC's are cheap and dominate the market. If Jobs wishes he can get MAC in every home by dropping the price to PC levels. That is his decision, not my. Blame him!!!

If you want to help people to get this game running on a MAC then please do. But do it nicely. I do not get paid to do this. I am a very helpful person by nature. I do not need you attacking me. I am asking you nicely to leave me alone!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I am not sure if this is has been touched on, but I was planning on getting the latest Atom Dual Core with Ion system from Acer. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103234&cm_re=revo-_-83-103-234-_-Product

I don't want to go out and get a completely new system upgrade and spend a grand or so, just for the game. I do a bit of video editing, and the ION powered system is supposed to be efficient for that. I'm currently on a home built system with a Radeon 9800 All in Wonder... ANCIENT!!!!

ATOM processors are not design to play High Graphic games even with the ION. You can only do lite video edit on that CPU. Everything I've read and heard about the ION states this. Netbooks are just not design for this at this time. Sorry.

We can help you upgrade you system. List you PC make/model. You have till 2/2/10 till the game comes out. Plenty of time to get ready.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    McCartney I am getting tried of you. To play this a you still need to meet requirement that windows does. If you are not going to be a positive force here "LEAVE US ALONE"!!!!! This game is not available for MAC. Get over it!

We are trying to help people. I have tried to be polite to you, but you are bent on trying to hurt people. I do not work for Cryptic! I am someone with a lot of computer knowledge and a fan of Star Trek. I do not care which OS is better, OK. Windows PC's are cheap and dominate the market. If Jobs wishes he can get MAC in every home by dropping the price to PC levels. That is his decision, not my. Blame him!!!

If you want to help people to get this game running on a MAC then please do. But do it nicely. I do not get paid to do this. I am a very helpful person by nature. I do not need you attacking me. I am asking you nicely to leave me alone!!!

WK, this is not about which system is better or not, nor about supporting it for windows or for mac. This i about basic knowledge of both systems. I have already had contact with cryptic about converting this game for mac users.

And to make it short. The same game has a different set of requirement for both systems. This is because they both have another setting, where u need less of support on your ram etc on a mac. U do need more space for the game on your hard-drive. Windows uses a lot of your cpu, Mac uses a lot of your hard-drive.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I could use some help here:

I have a quad core 3.0 system, vista ultimate 64
    2 9800 gtx cards
    8 gigs ram

The launcher will NOT work...and it has crashed with every attempt saying it will not work w/ 64 bit (not supported).

Can anyone help me here?

TY
  • Options
    edited December 2009

2 9800 gtx cards
    8 gigs ram

The launcher will NOT work...and it has crashed with every attempt saying it will not work w/ 64 bit (not supported).

Can anyone help me here?

TY
    I assume you have the Beta. We can not help you here. I assume there is a BETA forum that is only available to beta users. You will need to go there.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    WK, this is not about which system is better or not, nor about supporting it for windows or for mac. This i about basic knowledge of both systems. I have already had contact with cryptic about converting this game for mac users.

And to make it short. The same game has a different set of requirement for both systems. This is because they both have another setting, where u need less of support on your ram etc on a mac. U do need more space for the game on your hard-drive. Windows uses a lot of your cpu, Mac uses a lot of your hard-drive.
    That about resource management which is control by the OS. Which in this case means Windows since OS X can not run STO we need to talk Windows and what STO needs to run this game. We do not know if Wine will be able to play this game and what requirements it will need. We do know what STO will need under windows.

So I can only help people with windows since it is the only OS that it supports and the only OS that Cryptic supports! When we know for sure that Wine can support this game then I will push this onto MAC users. But for now Windows is the only solution so that means boot-camp.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

We are trying to help people. I have tried to be polite to you, but you are bent on trying to hurt people. I do not work for Cryptic! I am someone with a lot of computer knowledge and a fan of Star Trek. I do not care which OS is better, OK.

Ditto.

As for requirements, the ones listed are the same for Mac if you're using bootcamp for Windows. Same for Mac if you're even going to try to use Wine or Cedega. There is no version for the Mac. And even if there was, the requirements would be almost identical.
    The same game has a different set of requirement for both systems. This is because they both have another setting, where u need less of support on your ram etc on a mac. U do need more space for the game on your hard-drive. Windows uses a lot of your cpu, Mac uses a lot of your hard-drive.

No, it doesn't. STO was programmed mostly in C. It doesn't use much from the OS except DirectX, which actually requires LESS than OpenGL would if Cryptic ever decided to make this for the Mac. But in the end, it's a game first, and regardless what OS it's on (provided it's a computer and not a console system), the requirements are similar.

Get over it, McCartney and move on. Tired of your misinformed drivel about Macs vs. PCs. No more Mac vs. PC cr@p here please.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

2 9800 gtx cards
    8 gigs ram

Can anyone help me here?

TY

I have no problem with Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit applications. Have you tried the Beta forums for help if you're in Beta?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks, cipher_nemo. I have file a complaint against McCartney. I wish I knew more about programming. You seems to really understand it.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ATOM processors are not design to play High Graphic games even with the ION. You can only do lite video edit on that CPU. Everything I've read and heard about the ION states this. Netbooks are just not design for this at this time. Sorry.

We can help you upgrade you system. List you PC make/model. You have till 2/2/10 till the game comes out. Plenty of time to get ready.

Thanks... Vids like this one tend to give me a little bit of hope though :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XstimSRYvOM
  • Options
    edited December 2009

WK is right about the Netbooks. I hope in the near future they put in a mid-range GPU there.

But watching that video, the user had FRAPS running to show the framerate in the top left corner of the screen. Note that it bottoms out at 12 frames per second, and is in the teens frequently when the player is running through the snow.

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want to play anything at that low of a resolution. And if it's in the teens for framerate, it's probably dipping down ever lower for brief fractions of a second, yielding chopping play.

As a traveling netbook to take notes, I have one of the older Asus Eee PC 701 models with a slow Celeron 900MHz CPU and built-in Intel GPU. Needless to say, it's not a gaming PC. I installed Lord of the Rings Online on it to see how it handles a game with a 2007 engine that has intense visuals for an MMORPG. Overclocked (at full 900 MHz since stock speed is downclocked to 70%), I was able to get bewteen 10 and 12 frames per second on average at the lowest graphics settings possible. Needless to say, it's not a pleasant gaming experience. While the newer netbooks with ION graphics are much better, they're not gaming PCs.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey, give it a shot. I don't think you will like the resolution but it's your choice.

Check is out. Using a monitor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vniz4YamdDc
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey, give it a shot. I don't think you will like the resolution but it's your choice.

Check is out. Using a monitor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vniz4YamdDc

LOL, the NVIDIA marketing person said "30 frames per second". No way. That's probably 30 FPS max, especially on an external monitor at higher resolutions. If the one linked to earlier was 70 FPS max and 12 FPS min, with about 20 FPS average, this is going to be 30 FPS max, 5 FPS min, 14 FPS average.

Sorry, that's not something I'd want to game at, lol. Gotta love marketing spew.
This discussion has been closed.