test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I current have a Gigabyte S-series 965P-S3 motherboard with a Pentium D 3.6 gh CPU and Nvidia 9800 GTX
    512 mb GPU. My friend said my motherboard could not support a Intel dual core 2 E8400 so he told me to
    buy the Q6700.

Thanks
    Laren
    edited December 2009
    Laren wrote: »
    I current have a Gigabyte S-series 965P-S3 motherboard with a Pentium D 3.6 gh CPU and Nvidia 9800 GTX
    512 mb GPU. My friend said my motherboard could not support a Intel dual core 2 E8400 so he told me to
    buy the Q6700.

Thanks
    Laren

You can upgrade the CPU of that motherboard to many different Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, or Core 2 Extreme CPUs, but not all. Your friend is right about the E8400, but your motherboard has BIOS updates available for it to support more CPUs up to July 2008. The BIOS version F13 for that motherboard includes a CPU microcode update from 7/17/2008.

To get it to work with a larger range of CPUs, you'll want to first flash the BIOS on your PC with the Pentium D CPU installed right now. Get the BIOS update here (latest one is F14): http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2321#anchor_os. Or use Gigabyte's Live BIOS update utility found here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Utility_Model.aspx?ProductID=2321#anchor_os

Here is the complete CPU support list from Gigabyte for your motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2321#anchor_os

The cheapest you can go is a Core 2 Duo E4700 for around $120 new OEM ($140 retail w/ cooler) from various spots. The most expensive would be a Core 2 Extreme QX6800 which goes for around $900 OEM. The Q6700 you mentioned is $200 OEM ($235 w/ cooler). A better bet is the Q6600 which goes for $175 OEM ($185 w/ cooler). And you won't find any of these on Newegg since they're not something stocked anymore.

I'd opt for either a Q6600 or an E4700 since your motherboard supports both of these. The E4700 needs the F13 or later BIOS, while the Q6600 needs the F7 of later BIOS (F10 for G0 stepping model).
    edited December 2009
    Everything on my computer seems to fit except my graphics card.

I'm going to upgrade to either an ATI 4350 or an NVIDIA 250GTS.

Would both of these work? Any opinions on which to go for?
    edited December 2009
    mikey5time wrote: »
    Everything on my computer seems to fit except my graphics card.

I'm going to upgrade to either an ATI 4350 or an NVIDIA 250GTS.

Would both of these work? Any opinions on which to go for?

NVIDIA GTS 250 will let you play at High Graphics. The ATI 4350 below specs and not a gaming card. For ATI the HD 4650 is the entry gaming card and let you play at medium settings. The HD 4850 is closer to the GTS 250. Both of these cards need a at least a 450 W PSU with a PCIE cable. The HD 4650 only needs a 300 W PSU.
    edited December 2009
    Dude, I'm a computer geek, not a skier, lol. Time to plan out my PC projects, lol. My first one is making a nice wooden cart for my three 900W UPSes, complete with my cable modem, network switch, and other supplemental devices. Then it's on to switching out an old PC I use for my HTPC (runs MythTV) and getting the newer one configured. Then updating the Ubuntu distro of Linux from 7.10 to their latest on my server. And I have to switch out my gaming rig from Windows 7 RC-1 to RTM (been putting that off for a while since RC-1 is so stable). And then... oh, you get the idea. ;)

If I could retire tomorrow, I'd still have a million and one things to do with my time since I'm such a geek, lol. :D
    You are going to love RTM. Once you used Windows 7 64 you can never go back to XP or Vista. As much as a enjoy RC-1, my PC is a HTPC patch to run every audio/video though WMC. The codec pack I am using would break under RC.
    edited December 2009
    That's more rumor or your personal experience with it than fact. DVI is a standard and nothing wrong the 4870 cards and their DVI ports. The 4870's main connections for diplaying anything is through a DVI port. Or did you mean to say "HDMI" or "display port"? I assume that was a mental typo on your part.

It's personal experience, and as I researched it, it seems to be a common problem. ATI doesn't intend to do anything about it. It has the plugs, but they just don't communicate with the monitors well via the DVI cable. Blank screens, what not.

I returned it for a GeForce GTX 260 Core 216
    edited December 2009
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Processor, 2 GB of RAM

I'm thinking of upgrading the video to an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2, would this run it fine? I'm willing to sacrifice graphics for smoother gameplay, and I'm kind of hampered by only having PCI express x16 slots on my motherboard, instead of the 2.0 that most of the higher-end cards I'm finding require.
    edited December 2009
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Processor, 2 GB of RAM

I'm thinking of upgrading the video to an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2, would this run it fine? I'm willing to sacrifice graphics for smoother gameplay, and I'm kind of hampered by only having PCI express x16 slots on my motherboard, instead of the 2.0 that most of the higher-end cards I'm finding require.
    The 9500 GT is not a gaming card. STO will mostly run on very low settings. For Nvidia you should get a 9600 GT or better. The 9600 GT requires a 400W PSU w/o a PCIE cable and will run this game on medium settings. Now the ATI HD 4650 only needs a 300W PSU w/o a PCIE cable and will run this game on medium settings.

Any cards above these two will need a 450 PSU or better and will need a PCIE cable.
    edited December 2009
    Rekhan wrote:
    We just updated the FAQ, but wanted to call it out here, as well. Star Trek Online's system requirements are as follows:
    System Requirements
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Memory: 1GB RAM Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM Recommended System Configuration
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+ Memory: 2GB RAM+ Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+ Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Link to the news article.

The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 seriously kicks a@@ i've had it for a year on my PC and i'm still in love with it:D

thx for the update!
    edited December 2009
    Havraha wrote: »
    It's personal experience, and as I researched it, it seems to be a common problem. ATI doesn't intend to do anything about it. It has the plugs, but they just don't communicate with the monitors well via the DVI cable. Blank screens, what not.

I returned it for a GeForce GTX 260 Core 216

4870 is a major card. If what you say is true, they wouldn't be able to sell any, or they would have recalled them. I think that's your personal experience, not fact. This is like saying USB ports don't work on a specific motherboard make and model. That just doesn't happen for new products. If you're going to claim something like that, linkage to an article about that, please (ie: not forum discussions from people troubleshooting issues).

This is most likely just some compatibility issue with specific components, not a wide-spread thing. Otherwise have to call BS on that one.
    edited December 2009
    Looks like my laptop can't handle it, the only thing lacking is my graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family. I can't upgrade this either.....:( because of my intel graphics :(. Looks like I have to pray for a Xbox 360 version or PS3 version. :(:(
    edited December 2009
    Looks like my laptop can't handle it, the only thing lacking is my graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family. I can't upgrade this either.....:( because of my intel graphics :(. Looks like I have to pray for a Xbox 360 version or PS3 version. :(:(
    There will be an Xbox 360 version. It wouldn't be out till the summer.
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/startrekonline/index.html
    edited December 2009
    Is there any significant performance difference between AMD and Intel chips cause I found this really nice motherboard/cpu combo here its a quad-core phenom chip and motherboard for $180 I already have a case, optical drive, os and harddrive meaning I can throw in ram a PSU and a Geforce 9500 for $400 Any thoughts?
    edited December 2009
    There will be an Xbox 360 version. It wouldn't be out till the summer.
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/startrekonline/index.html

I hope this is true....
    edited December 2009
    umaxtu wrote: »
    Is there any significant performance difference between AMD and Intel chips cause I found this really nice motherboard/cpu combo here its a quad-core phenom chip and motherboard for $180 I already have a case, optical drive, os and harddrive meaning I can throw in ram a PSU and a Geforce 9500 for $400 Any thoughts?
    Not really, Intel's I7 are the performance king right now but you can't get them for under $200.00 and they are DDR3 only with 3 sticks of RAM making the system very expense. CAD, Professional Video Editors and Graphic Designers are true power users will benefit from these CPU because they can multiple task a lot easier.

Price/performance AMD are a better buy. The above average user like myself would barely even notice the difference. You can build an AMD gaming system starting around $500-600.00. A I7 is more like $1200.00. A I5 around $900.00. Without the OS.

That combo deal is a good buy. You're using DDR2 RAM which will save you money.

EDIT: The 9500 GT is not a gaming card. STO will mostly run on very low settings. For Nvidia you should get a 9600 GT or better. The 9600 GT requires a 400W PSU w/o a PCIE cable and will run this game on medium settings. Now the ATI HD 4650 only needs a 300W PSU w/o a PCIE cable and will run this game on medium settings.

Any cards above these two will need a 450 PSU or better and will need a PCIE cable.
    edited December 2009
    does and NVIDIA Geforce with cuda dedicated 256mb will do?
    edited December 2009
    umaxtu wrote: »
    Is there any significant performance difference between AMD and Intel chips (...)
    Not really (...)

As White Knight mentioned, Core i7 is king right now, but it's pricey. I would say that an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition CPU would beat most Core i5 CPUs in performance, but not a Core i7.

The Black editions have unlocked multipliers that allow for more overclocking. As a result, AMD's reputation is on the line when they do this, so they generally pick the top performing CPUs out of their manufacturing lines to package them as X4 Blacks. Very solid CPUs and a very reasonable price. Evne Core i5s will have problems beating the cost to performance ratio of AMDs.

I have no brand loyalty myself and will go with whoever releases the fastest, new CPUs at any given time. It goes back and forth between Intel and AMD for this. And that competition helps us all by keeping prices down. I went Intel for Core 2 Duo's introduction and Core i7's introduction, but I went AMD during Pentium 4 days.
    edited December 2009
    joseph001 wrote:
    does and NVIDIA Geforce with cuda dedicated 256mb will do?
    Cuda has nothing to do with gaming. Which card model are you talking about?
    edited December 2009
    # • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    # • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    # • 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    # • 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    # • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4650
    # • 17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)

Ok, i have been out of pc gaming for 10 years, so I am totally lost when it comes to specs now.

Any advice?
    edited December 2009
    Malek149 wrote: »
    # • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    # • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    # • 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    # • 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    # • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4650
    # • 17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)

Ok, i have been out of pc gaming for 10 years, so I am totally lost when it comes to specs now.

Any advice?
    For a laptop you are OK. You'll be able to play at medium setting.
    Run STO test
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    edited December 2009
    actually im not sure of what NVIDIA GEFORCE with cuda i have ahm ill say all my specs

Sony VAIO CW series
    Intel Core 2 duo T6600 2.20GHz
    RAM DDR3 2 slots 2 GB ea = 4GB of total
    Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
    GeForce® GT210M GPU with 256MB dedicated VRAM

i had a graphic score of 4.9 from windows 7 performance rating
    edited December 2009
    What would be some easy upgrades to the one I posted?
    edited December 2009
    What would be some easy upgrades to the one I posted?
    Need make/model.
    edited December 2009
    Hp Pavilion DV7T

I am trying to buid something for the near future.
    edited December 2009
    joseph001 wrote:
    actually im not sure of what NVIDIA GEFORCE with cuda i have ahm ill say all my specs

Sony VAIO CW series
    Intel Core 2 duo T6600 2.20GHz
    RAM DDR3 2 slots 2 GB ea = 4GB of total
    Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
    GeForce® GT210M GPU with 256MB dedicated VRAM

i had a graphic score of 4.9 from windows 7 performance rating
    What's make and model? Do a search on your PC for dxdiag.exe and run it. There a button "Save All info" save it as .txt file opening it and post it here. As far a I can tell there is no such thing as a GT210M. The "T" maybe a typo.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_m_series.html

Information helps.
    edited December 2009
    Hp Pavilion DV7T

I am trying to buid something for the near future.
    You're buying it from the HP Store right? Information helps. What's you budget? If you can get 8GB RAM now. The 4650 is the best that model has and then buy the best CPU you can afford.
    edited December 2009
    yeah, from hp.com

ok, this is about my upper limit on price.

OS Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7550 (2.26GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    Memory 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Hard drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Graphics card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4650
    edited December 2009
    ok, this is about my upper limit on price.

OS Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    Memory 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Hard drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Graphics card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4650

Then you're good to go. As your needs grow you can add more RAM. I am only running 4GB now. You may even be able to upgrade the CPU later too. I would have a shop do that.

Honestly you are going to have one of the better laptop being use for STO. Most of the laptop users have lesser GPU then you do. Because of Graphics the next price jump is $3000.00. You'll be OK.
    edited December 2009
    yeah, adding more put me over the limit, but i did go with the p7550
    edited December 2009
    yeah, i might just up it to 6 so i dont have to do it later
    NO don't do that. This laptop max at 8 GB. When you upgrade RAM on a laptop you are actually replacing (throwing away) the old RAM. On a cost vs performance I would go 4GB to 8GB. If you can't afford the 8GB now then do it a year from now. But that is your choice.
This discussion has been closed.