test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Ditto.

As for requirements, the ones listed are the same for Mac if you're using bootcamp for Windows. Same for Mac if you're even going to try to use Wine or Cedega. There is no version for the Mac. And even if there was, the requirements would be almost identical.

No, it doesn't. STO was programmed mostly in C. It doesn't use much from the OS except DirectX, which actually requires LESS than OpenGL would if Cryptic ever decided to make this for the Mac. But in the end, it's a game first, and regardless what OS it's on (provided it's a computer and not a console system), the requirements are similar.

Get over it, McCartney and move on. Tired of your misinformed drivel about Macs vs. PCs. No more Mac vs. PC cr@p here please.

Than don't believe me. Anyways STO will become available for mac. It's just a matter of time and of course.
    edited December 2009
    McCartney wrote: »
    Than don't believe me. Anyways STO will become available for mac. It's just a matter of time and of course.

Sorry, now you're crossing the lines in fact. There is no official announcement about STO being planned for MacOS. Sure, it's possible in the future. But nothing official yet.
    edited December 2009
    Originally Posted by McCartney View Post

Since it's a MMO MAC could possibly get it in a few years and only if this game does will. It took EVE Online and City of Heroes 5 years to offer their games on OS X.

The same can be said for Star Wars: The Old Republic. This is also a Windows only game. LucasArt is consider a big Apple game supporter but they know that they must establish a MMO on Windows first. Then afterward add OS X. "That's just the order of things." ;)

Though Warhammer Online should be working for the MAC soon. I understand it's in BETA. If it does will maybe Cryptic will work on a MAC version.:D

McCartney - You seems to think all Windows users are against apple. We're not. I was a System Administrator who supported Windows, MAC, Unix, Linux, and Novell. I am a systems builder and I am currently in technology sales.

I like building my own systems. Apple won't let people do this legally. I am not going to hack OS X. As long as Apple keeps their prices high you are going to need to wait for games to come to OS X and stop getting upset over it.

That's what I like about Linux users. They don't complain about not being able to run windows apps, instead they created Wine.
    edited December 2009
    Its funny... I just booted up Champions Online again.. and got a message saying that my system might not be able to run the game. Never got that message before. So I log in, fly around a bit, then juice up all the settings to high with 4x AA and it runs flawlessly. Im confused as to why it said my system would have trouble.:eek:

A lot of people say that if you can run Champions online you SHOULD be able to run STO. So given my graphics settings all on high in champions, Im guessing I should be able to make due with medium settings in sto. Though I could be mistaken.
    edited December 2009
    sandman105 wrote: »
    Its funny... I just booted up Champions Online again.. and got a message saying that my system might not be able to run the game. Never got that message before. So I log in, fly around a bit, then juice up all the settings to high with 4x AA and it runs flawlessly. Im confused as to why it said my system would have trouble.:eek:

A lot of people say that if you can run Champions online you SHOULD be able to run STO. So given my graphics settings all on high in champions, Im guessing I should be able to make due with medium settings in sto. Though I could be mistaken.
    STO does have higher requirements but CO is a good benchmark.
    edited December 2009
    Would this computer be good ///// Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case-Black
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction
    Advanced - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System Improved Airflow Silent Fans Improved Airflow Silent Fans
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion
    None
    Case Lighting
    None
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7 940 Processor (4x 2.93GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
    iBUYPOWER PowerDrive
    PowerDrive Level 3 - Up to 30% Overclocking
    Processor Cooling
    [Free Upgrade] Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 240mm Radiator [SOCKET-1366]
    Memory
    6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module-Corsair Dominator
    Video Card
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB DirectX 11 Support-Single Card
    Video Card Brand
    Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA
    Motherboard
    MSI Eclipse SLI -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Three PCI-E MB
    Power Supply
    1000 Watt -- Extreme Power Supply [Gaming Series] Quad SLI + Active PFC
    Primary Hard Drive
    80 GB Intel X25-M MLC SSD Nearly Instant Data Access-Dual 80GB Drives (160GB Capacity) - RAID 0 High Performance
    Data Hard Drive
    None
    Optical Drive
    22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive [Lightscribe Technology] Black
    2nd Optical Drive
    None
    Flash Media Reader/Writer
    12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer-Black
    Meter Display
    None
    Floppy Drive
    None
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Network Card
    Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card w/ Game Networking Acceleration + Hardware-accelerated Voice
    Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....)-64-Bit
    Keyboard
    iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard-Black
    Mouse
    iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse-Black
    Monitor
    None
    2nd Monitor
    None
    Speaker System
    iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System
    External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA]
    None
    USB Flash Drive
    None
    Power Protection
    None
    Printer
    None
    Headset
    None
    MP3/MP4 Player
    None
    Video Camera
    None
    edited December 2009
    kmk777 wrote: »
    Would this computer be good /////
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7 940 Processor (4x 2.93GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
    Processor Cooling
    [Free Upgrade] Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 240mm Radiator [SOCKET-1366]
    Memory
    6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module-Corsair Dominator
    Video Card
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB DirectX 11 Support-Single Card
    Power Supply

Was that a joke, or did you just pick the most expensive PC config you could find at iBuyPower's site? And for that matter, water-based cooling for your CPU is entirely overkill.
    edited December 2009
    The machine is fine. More than fine. I wish I had a couple of those parts. BUT!! Why would you get a machine with all that good stuff on it and saddle it with mere 80 gigabyte hard drives? If you're going to get a BMW, you might as well spring for the decent tires, and not the ones that are going to fall apart the first time it's on the freeway.
    edited December 2009
    Power Supply
    Network Card
    Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card w/ Game Networking Acceleration + Hardware-accelerated Voice

To emphasize, why the heck did you pick these in a build? The Killer network card is completely unnecessary in a Core i7 PC (it helps the performance of older PCs with limited resources, does absolutely nothing for newer PCs with top-end CPUs). And the 1000 watt PSU is overkill for even a Core i7 with a 5870 video card. 600W would get you by just fine. 750 if you wanted to go-all-out.
    edited December 2009
    can someone build me nice gameing computer pm me the info i can spend 3,000 heres the site http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Configurators.aspx?mid=423
    edited December 2009
    can someone build me nice gameing computer pm me the info i can spend 3,000 heres the site http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Configurators.aspx?mid=423

The default selections on that screen are just fine with a GTX 275 video card. You can even downgrade the CPU to a Core i7 920 to save money. Use the money to upgrade to an ASUS motherboard on that screen.

And I have no idea what form of currency "heres" is... I assume you meant $3,000 and "here's" the site. $3,000 is overkill for a gaming PC.
    edited December 2009
    Kariv wrote:
    The machine is fine. More than fine. I wish I had a couple of those parts. BUT!! Why would you get a machine with all that good stuff on it and saddle it with mere 80 gigabyte hard drives? If you're going to get a BMW, you might as well spring for the decent tires, and not the ones that are going to fall apart the first time it's on the freeway.
    Lol, I like that BMW remark.;)
    edited December 2009
    Since it's a MMO MAC could possibly get it in a few years and only if this game does will. It took EVE Online and City of Heroes 5 years to offer their games on OS X.

The same can be said for Star Wars: The Old Republic. This is also a Windows only game. LucasArt is consider a big Apple game supporter but they know that they must establish a MMO on Windows first. Then afterward add OS X. "That's just the order of things." ;)

Though Warhammer Online should be working for the MAC soon. I understand it's in BETA. If it does will maybe Bioware will work on a MAC version.:D

McCartney - You seems to think all Windows users are against apple. We're not. I was a System Administrator who supported Windows, MAC, Unix, Linux, and Novell. I am a systems builder and I am currently in technology sales.

I like building my own systems. Apple won't let people do this legally. I am not going to hack OS X. As long as Apple keeps their prices high you are going to need to wait for games to come to OS X and stop getting upset over it.

That's what I like about Linux users. They don't complain about not being able to run windows apps, instead they created Wine.

Ever heard of cider? No? Well not really surprised as for most it's only used by the corperations for most part. And well this little tool is the magic trick in making it quickly to os x.

As for building your own system, got a pal who totally modded his mac pro, i-mac and his old version of the macbook pro. So it is possible to change it as far as u want to do.

I don't think there are a lot of windows users who hate apple. But there are a lot of people who still believe windows is the only way. I was a windows user before I started working on mac, but have found mac to be more reliable than windows.

Anyways this isn't mac vs windows. This is about getting ths game out for not only on console, but also mac, ps3, xbox360 etc...
    edited December 2009
    Ever heard of cider? No? Well not really surprised as for most it's only used by the corperations for most part. And well this little tool is the magic trick in making it quickly to os x.

For your information, McCartney... http://www.transgaming.com/business/cider/

And now I can laugh. :D

Cider is just a MacOS X friendly version of Cedega's software for Linux. It's still emulation. It's not changing the program or compiling the code for MacOS X. It's just another emulation product like Wine.

So no, Cryptic isn't going to even touch emulation software for any kind of official release or support. It's another thing to license that won't happen any time soon. Some big names use it, but it's still emulation software. You're better off running it on Wine or Cedega now.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that Atari is the publisher for STO and it's Atari that would have to license this with Cedega. The developers usually have little say in that unless they're all-in-one entities like Blizzard. So no, most likely isn't going to happen. But if you want this sort of thing for yourself, run your own copy of Cedega or the free alternative, Wine.
    edited December 2009
    As for building your own system, got a pal who totally modded his mac pro, i-mac and his old version of the macbook pro. So it is possible to change it as far as u want to do.
    I am not talking about modding a Apple machine. I am talking about legally building a system. I don't run illegal software. I paid for my stuff.

Unlike MS, Apple release a update to block Intel Atom processors and Hackintoshes. MS could do these to Wine if the wish but they don't. There is a lot of modding going on for Windows Media Center which MS is encouraging.
    edited December 2009
    Yah mines a sager, so its either a alienware or dell xps..just different labeling. i plan on upgrtading the ram definatly.
    edited December 2009
    Hi I can not afford alot these days. I can wing about 200.00 for an upgrade.

Can any one suggest a mother board and CPU combo to replace my 478 socket Gygbyte board? I have at present a P4 3.0 ghz processor. 4 slots for ram at 512 a piece I have 2 gigs ram total at present.

I want to avoid having to replace my AGP card which is a radeon 4650. I am not even sure there are mother boards with an AGP socket any more.

And at worst...the only thing that fails is the CPU. Is there a Duo Core CPU that I am not aware of that could work for my board which is a GA-8IG1000(Rev 1.x) Gygabyte? That would be great if I could just pop in a new CPU. I have not fiddled with computers for close to 5 years so this is like going back to school to catch up. I just want to avoid replacing hard drives...a new power supply... etc.

Here is another question... will this video card work with this game? NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Thanks for any help.
    edited December 2009
    Rekhan wrote:
    We just updated the FAQ, but wanted to call it out here, as well. Star Trek Online's system requirements are as follows:
    System Requirements
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Memory: 1GB RAM Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM Recommended System Configuration
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+ Memory: 2GB RAM+ Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+ Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Link to the news article.

WHEN WILL THE GAME BE AVAILABLE FOR MAC USERS
    edited December 2009
    Is there going to be a dx10 version?
    edited December 2009
    Sevenstarr wrote:
    Hi I can not afford alot these days. I can wing about 200.00 for an upgrade.

Can any one suggest a mother board and CPU combo to replace my 478 socket Gygbyte board? I have at present a P4 3.0 ghz processor. 4 slots for ram at 512 a piece I have 2 gigs ram total at present.

I want to avoid having to replace my AGP card which is a radeon 4650. I am not even sure there are mother boards with an AGP socket any more.

And at worst...the only thing that fails is the CPU. Is there a Duo Core CPU that I am not aware of that could work for my board which is a GA-8IG1000(Rev 1.x) Gygabyte? That would be great if I could just pop in a new CPU. I have not fiddled with computers for close to 5 years so this is like going back to school to catch up. I just want to avoid replacing hard drives...a new power supply... etc.

Here is another question... will this video card work with this game? NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately, your motherboard only supports a Pentium 4 (socket 478) for the CPU. And that doesn't get anywhere near close enough to the minimum for STO's listed minimum requirements.

If you have a Pentium 4 with an AGP card, you're going to have to replace everything for a decent upgrade. $200 for an upgrade isn't realistic unless you don't mind the lowest of the low. You could get a decent motherboard, CPU, and memory for around there, but with a video card, sorry, you're skimping more than I'd recommend.

Motherboards have not had AGP slots for many years now, so there's no way you'll be able to use your old video card. Everything is PCI-Express now.

But there is hope. I really don't recommend going this route, but then again, if you have no room to budge in your budget....
    The CPU and memory have free shipping. Before shipping, the total is $207.96. That's the best I'd offer without totally sacrificing on my PC principles. ;) It's still a scrape of low-end parts.

EDIT: This is assuming your power supply is adequate. I only have a clue on how old your power supply is and what wattage. My guess is that you'd need to replace that as well, especially considering how old your motherboard is:

$45 SeaSonic 350W (two 12V rails of 17A each, will be plenty for this PC): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151077

That brings the new total to $252.95.
    Armitige wrote:
    Is there going to be a dx10 version?

Nothing official yet. You mean DX11 version since that is the new standard (and is backwards compatible with DX10).
    edited December 2009
    Unfortunately, your motherboard only supports a Pentium 4 (socket 478) for the CPU. And that doesn't get anywhere near close enough to the minimum for STO's listed minimum requirements.

If you have a Pentium 4 with an AGP card, you're going to have to replace everything for a decent upgrade. $200 for an upgrade isn't realistic unless you don't mind the lowest of the low. You could get a decent motherboard, CPU, and memory for around there, but with a video card, sorry, you're skimping more than I'd recommend.

Motherboards have not had AGP slots for many years now, so there's no way you'll be able to use your old video card. Everything is PCI-Express now.

But there is hope. I really don't recommend going this route, but then again, if you have no room to budge in your budget....
    The CPU and memory have free shipping. Before shipping, the total is $207.96. That's the best I'd offer without totally sacrificing on my PC principles. ;) It's still a scrape of low-end parts.

EDIT: This is assuming your power supply is adequate. I only have a clue on how old your power supply is and what wattage. My guess is that you'd need to replace that as well, especially considering how old your motherboard is:

$45 SeaSonic 350W (two 12V rails of 17A each, will be plenty for this PC): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151077

That brings the new total to $252.95.

Nothing official yet. You mean DX11 version since that is the new standard (and is backwards compatible with DX10).

thank you. i wonder if it would be just better to buy a new machine to get by with. The power supply is a 400 watt with the Sata power connectors. The power supply is about 3 years old. The more I think about it the more I think it might be better to buy a cheepy computer. Seems a low end computer would have more horsepower than what I have now and just save up for a better computer down the road. Looks like my budget will be $400.00 to 500.00 instead of $200.00

Thanks for the response.
    edited December 2009
    Sevenstarr wrote:
    thank you. i wonder if it would be just better to buy a new machine to get by with. The power supply is a 400 watt with the Sata power connectors. The power supply is about 3 years old. The more I think about it the more I think it might be better to buy a cheepy computer. Seems a low end computer would have more horsepower than what I have now and just save up for a better computer down the road. Looks like my budget will be $400.00 to 500.00 instead of $200.00

Thanks for the response.

You can build a PC that can play Crysis on High for 500 bucks, minus the monitor and what not.

This is old, but still works --http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/build_a_500_pc_play_crysis_40fps

Although I would stay away from the ATI 4870s because they don't like communicating to monitors through DVI ports ... simple fact, buggy product. Go for a NVidia GeForce GTX 260 instead ... kind of an equivalent card, but its got NVIdia's drivers (which are way better than ATI Catalyst).

Also, the CPU they use is alright, but if you want longevity out of the thing I dunno... I would shoot for a Core 2 Duo, but that's gonna jack up the price and you may have an issue with the socket, I don't know.
    edited December 2009
    Sevenstarr wrote:

Thanks for the response.

No problem. Your power supply will have a 20-pin ATX connector and new motherboards require a 24-pin ATX connector. So without an adapter it will not work. And since you'd pay $5-10 for the adapter, you might as well just get a new power supply for $50. Besides, power supplies wear out over time (due to capacitor aging), so that power supply you have is getting near the end of its life or at least putting out far below what it was designed and listed at.
    Havraha wrote: »
    Although I would stay away from the ATI 4870s because they don't like communicating to monitors through DVI ports ... simple fact, buggy product.

That's more rumor or your personal experience with it than fact. DVI is a standard and nothing wrong the 4870 cards and their DVI ports. The 4870's main connections for diplaying anything is through a DVI port. Or did you mean to say "HDMI" or "display port"? I assume that was a mental typo on your part.
    edited December 2009
    I have a Laptop (Was High-end a few years back) That I want to play STO, Spec's are as follows:

Core 2 Duo T7200 - 2.0GHz (4mb cache)
    4GB Ram
    Ge-force Go 7900 GS - 256MB dedicated ram (up to 1gb shared if want to use)
    Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
    8X DVD combo drive
    18" WUXGA 1920x1200 default rez
    Vista Ultimate 64bit

It originally came with a crappy HDD and Win-XP Pro (vista upgrade free) 32bit and 2GB ram

I upgraded to 4gb ram and a WD Black Scorpio drive and purged the vendor TRIBBLE OS for 64bit Vista I had.

From what I can find the GF Go 7900 GS = Memory 256bit, memory bandwidth-32.0GB/s, fill rate 7.5b/s

I know no upgrade path for video and new system is not an option at this time (damn 15% pay-cut). This Laptop Plays WarHammer Online at max settings fine, but gets REALLY hot so I run medium settings most of the time and during high RVR times run like most at fastest frame rate since so many people battling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Trollby
    edited December 2009
    Trollby wrote: »
    4GB Ram
    8X DVD combo drive
    Vista Ultimate 64bit

Trollby

That's still a nice laptop (especially the 18" 1920x1200 screen!). :) The 7900 GPU would be just fine for STO. Their minimum spec of a 7950 is way overkill in my opinion. You will probably be able to play STO on that at 1920x1200 with moderate graphics settings. No worries from me when I look at your laptop specs.

EDIT...
    This Laptop Plays WarHammer Online at max settings fine, but gets REALLY hot so I run medium settings most of the time and during high RVR times run like most at fastest frame rate since so many people battling.

Get a laptop cooler (if you don't already have one). It's just a plastic or metal base with fans on which to place your laptop.

Also, when gaming, make sure you enable Vertical Sync so that your GPU isn't processing more frames than you need at any given moment.
    edited December 2009
    I have a Laptop (Was High-end a few years back) That I want to play STO, Spec's are as follows:

4GB Ram
    8X DVD combo drive
    Vista Ultimate 64bit

It originally came with a crappy HDD and Win-XP Pro (vista upgrade free) 32bit and 2GB ram

I upgraded to 4gb ram and a WD Black Scorpio drive and purged the vendor TRIBBLE OS for 64bit Vista I had.

From what I can find the GF Go 7900 GS = Memory 256bit, memory bandwidth-32.0GB/s, fill rate 7.5b/s

I know no upgrade path for video and new system is not an option at this time (damn 15% pay-cut). This Laptop Plays WarHammer Online at max settings fine, but gets REALLY hot so I run medium settings most of the time and during high RVR times run like most at fastest frame rate since so many people battling.

Trollby

You are meet minimal requirement. unless you really want to buy a new laptop I'll wait and try STO.
    You can try these two websites and run the STO test.
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl
    edited December 2009
    That's still a nice laptop (especially the 18" 1920x1200 screen!). :) The 7900 GPU would be just fine for STO. Their minimum spec of a 7950 is way overkill in my opinion. You will probably be able to play STO on that at 1920x1200 with moderate graphics settings. No worries from me when I look at your laptop specs.

Beat me by one minute,:D
    edited December 2009
    You are meet minimal requirement. unless you really want to buy a new laptop I wait and try STO.
    You can try these two websites and run the STO test.
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl

Beat ya by one minute. ;)
    edited December 2009
    Beat me by one minute,:D

LOL, great minds think alike... and at the same time.
    edited December 2009
    Beat ya by one minute. ;)
    I beat you, beating me by seconds.:p
This discussion has been closed.