What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I was worried since was a Go series not the regular 7900 series.

I have a laptop cooler already, but is was for my old 15" LT so is small, need to get new one.

Thanks for the replies.

Trollby
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LOL, great minds think alike... and at the same time.
    Good systems builders know how to keep it real.
    How many PM users are you helping. I am doing three right now. It looks like I am walk one though doing his our build. He lives in Mobile, AL. Wasteland for PC stores.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Trollby wrote: »

I have a laptop cooler already, but is was for my old 15" LT so is small, need to get new one.

Thanks for the replies.

Trollby

No problem. Yeah, even the mobile version of the 7900 would be fine. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Good systems builders know how to keep it real.
    How many PM users are you helping. I am doing three right now. It looks like I am walk one though doing his our build. He lives in Mobile, AL. Wasteland for PC stores.

LOL. I've only helped one every once in a while. :) I prefer the forums since I hate checking PMs on this site.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Trollby wrote: »

Thanks for the replies.

Trollby
    Go series is just a promotion things for laptop graphics. Laptop GPU or not as powerful as GPU cards. But you do get the same technology.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LOL. I've only helped one every once in a while. :) I prefer the forums since I hate checking PMs on this site.

They are lucky I even see the PM. It was 3 days till I notice anyone. I am not use to this PM thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    They are lucky I even see the PM. It was 3 days till I notice anyone. I am not use to this PM thing.

Yeah, I don't remember to check it all the time. For the longest time the forums were out of sync with the main page for PMs. It said 0 messages until you went to the main page, and I rarely checked the main page. Now it's linked, but that gray number up there isn't very prominent.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I don't remember to check it all the time. For the longest time the forums were out of sync with the main page for PMs. It said 0 messages until you went to the main page, and I rarely checked the main page. Now it's linked, but that gray number up there isn't very prominent.
    They are out of sync now. I had three PMs from yesterday and like you said I only notice them from the main page.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cipher_nemo - I also notice you didn't response to that MAC guy yelling. As did I.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No problem. Your power supply will have a 20-pin ATX connector and new motherboards require a 24-pin ATX connector. So without an adapter it will not work. And since you'd pay $5-10 for the adapter, you might as well just get a new power supply for $50. Besides, power supplies wear out over time (due to capacitor aging), so that power supply you have is getting near the end of its life or at least putting out far below what it was designed and listed at.

That's more rumor or your personal experience with it than fact. DVI is a standard and nothing wrong the 4870 cards and their DVI ports. The 4870's main connections for diplaying anything is through a DVI port. Or did you mean to say "HDMI" or "display port"? I assume that was a mental typo on your part.

Hi Cipher I found a replacement computer. I feel that messing with the current computer is asking for trouble. It has been reliable for near 5 years...raid array...the whole 9 yards. So I am going to pass it on to some one else and get a new computer. Funny how the new stuff today is far superior and cheaper than what I paid to originally build this computer back in late 2004.

The panic is almost over! I am closing in on the computer I need. (takes a true trek fan to a ditch a good computer just to play Trek. LOL) The surprising thing is for me...is how rusty I have become with computers and feel like I am going back to school.

See you in game soon!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sevenstarr wrote:
    Hi Cipher I found a replacement computer. I feel that messing with the current computer is asking for trouble. It has been reliable for near 5 years...raid array...the whole 9 yards. So I am going to pass it on to some one else and get a new computer. Funny how the new stuff today is far superior and cheaper than what I paid to originally build this computer back in late 2004.

The panic is almost over! I am closing in on the computer I need. (takes a true trek fan to a ditch a good computer just to play Trek. LOL) The surprising thing is for me...is how rusty I have become with computers and feel like I am going back to school.

See you in game soon!
    5 yrs a good run. My last system last about 3 yrs with upgrades.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Question for the devs/closed beta peeps: Has anyone tested this game out with OS X Boot Camp?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Question for the devs/closed beta peeps: Has anyone tested this game out with OS X Boot Camp?
    Next time do a search for boot camp. There's a lot of threads on this. I have personally answer several.
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=33102
    You just need to meet the same hardware specs as require for Windows.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The video requirement has me confused. I went to one of those sites to test my computer, and everything checked out but it flagged my video card Nvidia 7300LE instead of a 7950. What was funny is that it had a further breakdown on video card stats which mine all checked out ok. Looked like my card was simply flagged because it was less than a 7950, not because it did not meet the minimum video capabilities. Anyone else test their computer and have a similar outcome? My system is at the minimums for this game, I may have to swap with my parents and take the newer faster computer I bought for them.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    NCC1701C wrote: »
    The video requirement has me confused. I went to one of those sites to test my computer, and everything checked out but it flagged my video card Nvidia 7300LE instead of a 7950. What was funny is that it had a further breakdown on video card stats which mine all checked out ok. Looked like my card was simply flagged because it was less than a 7950, not because it did not meet the minimum video capabilities. Anyone else test their computer and have a similar outcome? My system is at the minimums for this game, I may have to swap with my parents and take the newer faster computer I bought for them.

Do you have the most current video drivers? What OS? Specs?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Next time do a search for boot camp. There's a lot of threads on this. I have personally answer several.
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=33102
    You just need to meet the same hardware specs as require for Windows.

I did do a search :/ sorry. Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have XP SP3, Duo 1.86 GHz, 1GB ram, but I have a Nvidia 7300LE. Like I said, the site passed me on everthing but my video card. From what I could tell it was only because my video card was "less" than a 7950. I passed the video card specs, so I am a bit confused. I have looked through this thread and I can tell that I am not the only one wondering about their video requirements.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You guys are great for helping everyone to get their systems ready for STO thank you :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Can i get some opinions on this video card PNY GeForce 9800 GT EE 1024MB Graphics Card - 1024MB, GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, Stereo, Dual VGA Support

I'd like to know if i would be able to run STO on the hightest sttings witn this card and how this card ranks overall
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wow if thats the requirements then this game is going maximum warp on my AMD Dual-Core
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have XP SP3, Duo 1.86 GHz, 1GB ram, but I have a Nvidia 7300LE. Like I said, the site passed me on everthing but my video card. From what I could tell it was only because my video card was "less" than a 7950. I passed the video card specs, so I am a bit confused. I have looked through this thread and I can tell that I am not the only one wondering about their video requirements.
    You need to replace the GPU. It's at plain. Do you have PCIE? You could try a ATI HD 3650 or 4650 or a Nvidia 9600 GT. These are cards are enter level and don't require a lot of power.

These two ATI's card only need a 300 watt PSU. The 9600 GT needs 400 Watts. These cards will most likely let you play at medium high graphics. Do you know what your PSU?

EDIT: I would also add 1GB of RAM too.
    EDIt: I am assuming that this is a Desktop. If it's a laptop your out of luck. Need a new laptop.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    mainenwo wrote:
    Can i get some opinions on this video card PNY GeForce 9800 GT EE 1024MB Graphics Card - 1024MB, GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, Stereo, Dual VGA Support

I'd like to know if i would be able to run STO on the hightest sttings witn this card and how this card ranks overall
    We don't really know for sure about the very highest setting since we haven't played this game yet. Most likely at medium high to high. If you have this card keep it till you can try the game. If you are looking to buy one now I would recommend a GTS 250. Same power requirement, but 10% faster then a 9800 GTX. You can usually get it on sale for $120.00. If you get a GTX 260 you'll most likely will be able to play is game at very high. But it needs a 525 watt PSU.

EDIT: Ops, the GTS 250 needs 450w PSU. The PNY GeForce 9800 GT EE 1024MB needs 400W power supply with a minimum 12V current rating of 26A. Wow 26A that is high for a 9800 GT card.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mattykun wrote:
    wow if thats the requirements then this game is going maximum warp on my AMD Dual-Core

I just replace old system 3 mos ago. My AMD X2 4600+ (939) was at minimal specs. When you hit minimal specs time to build a new system.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cipher_nemo - I also notice you didn't response to that MAC guy yelling. As did I.

Hahaha, true. Some things are best left unsaid.

First, I'd upgrade your RAM in that PC. 1GB is really skimping when RAM is so cheap.

Second, ditch the 7300LE. It's a value-line card that isn't really meant for any serious gaming aside from playing flash games. The second number in there of "3" designs it as a value-line card. The first number "7" is its generation. While the 7950 is really overkill for requirements, I'd still look at a 9800 GT for a deal on the NVIDIA side. For ATI, try a 4670. They are both good values right now than will handle STO just fine and then some.
    mainenwo wrote:
    You guys are great for helping everyone to get their systems ready for STO thank you :)

Well, I wouldn't leave my fleet members out in the cold now, would I? :)
    mainenwo wrote:

9800 GT is a solid card. It's the predecessor of the 8800 GT model that outperformed the more expensive 8800 GTS (version 1) two years ago. I'd say it would run STO on high settings at reasonable resolutions (ie: 1680x1050 or less). But maxing settings? Probably not without dipping a bit low in framerate.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    CIpher_nemo, do you or anyone know if this game will run better under Nvidia or ATI yet? A friend told me that Champions loading screen specifically states it runs better under Nvidia. Just wondeirng because I'm looking at a new system, and I don't have a preference either way, but do not want issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    CIpher_nemo, do you or anyone know if this game will run better under Nvidia or ATI yet? A friend told me that Champions loading screen specifically states it runs better under Nvidia. Just wondeirng because I'm looking at a new system, and I don't have a preference either way, but do not want issues.
    What happens is the install detects in the Nvidia drivers and shows the logo. As of last week Nvidia is still working on getting it's drivers to work properly with CO. Both ATI and Nvidia cards will work with this game. I am a Nvidia man myself. Nvidia has a better relationship with gaming companies and write better drivers than ATI.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If i put the game at lower setings would i still beable to play? Minimum Recommended CPU
    Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
    PASS

CPU Speed
    Minimum: 1.8 GHz
    You Have: 3.00 GHz
    PASS

RAM
    Minimum: 1 GB
    You Have: 1022.1 MB
    PASS

OS
    Minimum: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)
    PASS

Video Card
    Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    You Have: ATI display adapter (0x5B60)
    Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.
    Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
    Required You Have
    Video RAM 256 MB 128.0 MB
    Hardware T&L Yes Yes
    Pixel Shader version 3.0 2.0
    Vertex Shader version 3.0 2.0

Sound Card
    Minimum: Yes
    You Have: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    PASS

Free Disk Space
    Minimum: 8 GB Free Disk Space
    You Have: 14.9 GB
    PASS
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    kmk777 wrote: »
    If i put the game at lower setings would i still beable to play? Minimum Recommended CPU
    Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
    PASS

CPU Speed
    Minimum: 1.8 GHz
    You Have: 3.00 GHz
    PASS

RAM
    Minimum: 1 GB
    You Have: 1022.1 MB
    PASS

OS
    Minimum: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)
    PASS

Video Card
    Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    You Have: ATI display adapter (0x5B60)
    Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.
    Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
    Required You Have
    Video RAM 256 MB 128.0 MB
    Hardware T&L Yes Yes
    Pixel Shader version 3.0 2.0
    Vertex Shader version 3.0 2.0

Sound Card
    Minimum: Yes
    You Have: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    PASS

Free Disk Space
    Minimum: 8 GB Free Disk Space
    You Have: 14.9 GB
    PASS

What is your graphic card? List your specs.

EDIT: Your CPU pass? It's a Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz which is two generations older then it Core 2 Duo which is minimum requirement. - cipher_nemo what do you think?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Radeon x3000 Series
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks I didn't know that about the logo, but I've seen it in games before.
This discussion has been closed.