What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have one or two questions relating to these system requirements.

I am have a Dell XPS M1530 specifications as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.40GHz / 3mb L2 Cache / 800MHz FSB
    4096mb DDR2 667MHz RAM (Samsung)
    Samsung 320GB 5400rpm / 16mb cache
    Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT GDDR3
    15.4" 1440x900 resolution screen

Vista Home Premium 64-bit soon to be Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

So as far as i can tell i more than meet the system requirements, in most areas, the only shady area being on the Graphics Card. Obviously the 8600m GT is a generation newer but still a notebook card. Comparing the two on gpureview.com the 7950GT AGP does outperform the 8600m GT on most of the hardware aspects, but does anybody have any idea of this in practice?

The 7950 GT is more powerful then the 8600m. The x600 series GPU are the entry level gaming card in each series since the 6000 series. The x900 series are the gaming cards. The 7950 GT and the 7950 GX2 were the high end cards till the 8800 GT.

The 7950 GT AGP has 24 Pipes vs 8600m 16. Also you can't possibly believe that your integrated chip can be more powerful then a graphic card. Think about it. Little chip, BIG card. Which one holds more stuff. You could have a GTX 260m and the 9800 GT will still be more powerful. The amount of heat the little chip would have to generate to perform as good as a card would fried a laptop. What you are getting is the technology but not the same performs.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is my nvidea geforce 8400 GS good enough for this game??

Guys im not good with computers so just curious if my gaming laptop can play it. intel extreme core 2 duo, 2.6 ghz. only 512 ram right now but im upgrading to 3 gigs after christmas. nvidia geforce 8800m gtx. its a laptop, just curious im sure it will more than fine but i dont want the time of the game to come out and be completly screwed on playing. i play fallout 3 with no issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    danfiveten wrote: »
    Guys im not good with computers so just curious if my gaming laptop can play it. intel extreme core 2 duo, 2.6 ghz. only 512 ram right now but im upgrading to 3 gigs after christmas. nvidia geforce 8800m gtx. its a laptop, just curious im sure it will more than fine but i dont want the time of the game to come out and be completly screwed on playing. i play fallout 3 with no issues.

That sounds to me like an Alienware, or one of the larger Dell XPS line. If i remember correctly, the 8800m GTX is actually the desktop 8800 GT. As long as you upgrade the RAM you'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    danfiveten wrote: »

It will play on that GPU, but at medium graphic. Upgrade your RAM. Check out these 2 sites and run the STO test.
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It will play on that GPU, but at medium graphic. Upgrade your RAM. Check out these 2 sites and run the STO test.
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true

Both of those sites say that my system reaches the minimum requirements for STO
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Both of those sites say that my system reaches the minimum requirements for STO
    Yes, but who wants to play at minimum requirement. You lose points because it's a laptop. Graphic set at low playing at 600x800. You could wait and play this game and see how will it plays. But your laptop is dated and there are good deals on new laptops now.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes, but who wants to play at minimum requirement. Graphic set at low playing at 600x800. You could wait and play this game and see how will it plays. But your laptop is dated and there are good deals on new laptops now.

As a University Student, i not exactly in the financial situation to spend some £800 on a new notebook.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    As a University Student, i not exactly in the financial situation to spend some £800 on a new notebook.
    You could sell a kidney. Lol:D
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You're from England. I can't what for the last two Doctor Who.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    We do in the UK pay a lot more for Computers in general than you do in the USA.

As an example of this, during a trip to Florida over the Summer (which is where all my money in fact went), i bought an Acer Aspire One D250 for $280, now i would have been paying £260 in the UK for the exact same notebook.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    We do in the UK pay a lot more for Computers in general than you do in the USA.

As an example of this, during a trip to Florida over the Summer (which is where all my money in fact went), i bought an Acer Aspire One D250 for $280, now i would have been paying £260 in the UK for the exact same notebook.
    I had to find a currency converter tool. That $392 US. Do you have any friends in the US to buy this for you? Oh, I thought the dollar suck right now around the world.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah it does, but like i said i don't have the money. I ended up sinking everything i had into that trip. Although it was a hell of a trip, i went with a group of other students from my University to watch the Space Shuttle launch at Kennedy Space Centre in August (STS-128). There are only going to be another 5 of those launches too. xD

I am eligable to a new Computer from the University due to my Dyslexia, so i am going to try and get a Dell Desktop, which i can then obviously upgrade the graphics card.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    hell i can play this on my laptop just fine nice to see
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah it does, but like i said i don't have the money. I ended up sinking everything i had into that trip. Although it was a hell of a trip, i went with a group of other students from my University to watch the Space Shuttle launch at Kennedy Space Centre in August (STS-128). There are only going to be another 5 of those launches too. xD

I am eligable to a new Computer from the University due to my Dyslexia, so i am going to try and get a Dell Desktop, which i can then obviously upgrade the graphics card.

Maybe they can get you something a lil better like an Atari 2600 or something
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Do not feed the trolls. Thank you, carry on. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I would just like some help. T

he systems requirements for the game are good for me as I have AMD X2 5600+ with NVideo 9800 GT Graphic card. So it should play. But I was wondering what would be better:

1. a larger CPU (a AMD Quad processor)
    or 2. a second SATA HDD with Windows 7.

I would be very thankful for any suggestions. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    frank666 wrote: »
    I would just like some help. T

he systems requirements for the game are good for me as I have AMD X2 5600+ with NVideo 9800 GT Graphic card. So it should play. But I was wondering what would be better:

1. a larger CPU (a AMD Quad processor)
    or 2. a second SATA HDD with Windows 7.

I would be very thankful for any suggestions. :D
    At this time no ones really knows how this game will run. Now the Phenom's are 25% faster then the X2 CPU. I went to yougamers.com and ran the Champion Online test and it told me I needed a AMD Phenom II X4 910 to "Optimized" my system. I don't believe I need this processor to run this game. We been using Champion Online as a benchmark since it uses the same game engine. STO will be more graphically be demanding the CO. We do know from the specs that this game has been design to run off dual-core's. We just don't know if it will take full advantage of the Quad processor.

That being said if you have the money I would go the Phenom II X4 just for the flexibility of multitasking. Also use a MB with AMD 750 SB chipset for better power management.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    OK, quick poll.

What are the best ships so far? :D
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    OK, quick poll.

What are the best ships so far? :D
    Wrong place to post that question. It's already been posted in Ten Forward and Star Trek Online Discussion. Please don't hijack threads. That's consider rued and against forum's rules.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well I have just looked at YouGamers.com and the check I am okay. So I will be going for the HDD and Windows 7 option.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    frank666 wrote: »
    Well I have just looked at YouGamers.com and the check I am okay. So I will be going for the HDD and Windows 7 option.
    I've been thinking of replacing my OS HDD. It's 3 yrs old and older tech. Temped to go with a SSD. Those a WD Black would be a big improvement.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I've been thinking of replacing my OS HDD. It's 3 yrs old and older tech. Temped to go with a SSD. Those a WD Black would be a big improvement.

I've been all over the map with my PC. At one time I was running one WD Black HDD for my boot drive, then I was using an OCZ Vertex SSD, then a RAID array of these SSDs, then a raid array of WD Black HDDs.

OCZ Vertex is one of the best performers in OCZ's product line (aside from brand new models or the EX line of extremely expensive SLC SSDs). And still, I can notice the slight SSD hiccup when using SSDs for where my Windows 7 is installed, even with a RAID array of 4 drives. Even with a firmware update to each drive and clean install, I noticed the hiccups for the notorious SSD stutter.

So I switched to my WD Black drives in RAID 0 for my OS install and use my SSDs for just games and applications like STO, Photoshop, etc. Works great, and no hiccups/stuttering when your OS is not on SSDs.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I've been all over the map with my PC. At one time I was running one WD Black HDD for my boot drive, then I was using an OCZ Vertex SSD, then a RAID array of these SSDs, then a raid array of WD Black HDDs.

OCZ Vertex is one of the best performers in OCZ's product line (aside from brand new models or the EX line of extremely expensive SLC SSDs). And still, I can notice the slight SSD hiccup when using SSDs for where my Windows 7 is installed, even with a RAID array of 4 drives. Even with a firmware update to each drive and clean install, I noticed the hiccups for the notorious SSD stutter.

So I switched to my WD Black drives in RAID 0 for my OS install and use my SSDs for just games and applications like STO, Photoshop, etc. Works great, and no hiccups/stuttering when your OS is not on SSDs.
    Good ideal. I need to get a cheap RAID controller for the SSD. What controller are you using?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Good ideal. I need to get a cheap RAID controller for the SSD. What controller are you using?

I was planning on getting an Adaptec RAID controller for a PCI Express slot (the real one with RAID on a chip, not through software), but they're just so expensive. So while I was pondering that, I just ran the RAID off of my motherboard (Intel ICH10's southbridge chip w/ built-in RAID). And that worked fine. So then to get all 6 drives on the motherboard, 4 run off the ICH10's chip, and 2 run off the JMicron RAID controller on my EVGA X58 A1 motherboard.

I'm usually a supported of dedicated, hardware-based RAID controllers, but I have yet to experience any problems with either of these built in ones. And they're decently fast too. The advantage of hardware RAID is that no processing is being offloaded to the CPU. But with a Core i7, the overhead is nominal.

So my motherboard is maxed out on used SATA ports. For my DVD burner/Blu-Ray drive I had to run it off the eSATA port that's on the motherboard, but fortunately still "internal". So all 7 of my SATA ports are filled. :(

Oh well, I don't foresee a need for any more drives or RAID arrays, lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I was planning on getting an Adaptec RAID controller for a PCI Express slot (the real one with RAID on a chip, not through software), but they're just so expensive. So while I was pondering that, I just ran the RAID off of my motherboard (Intel ICH10's southbridge chip w/ built-in RAID). And that worked fine. So then to get all 6 drives on the motherboard, 4 run off the ICH10's chip, and 2 run off the JMicron RAID controller on my EVGA X58 A1 motherboard.

I'm usually a supported of dedicated, hardware-based RAID controllers, but I have yet to experience any problems with either of these built in ones. And they're decently fast too. The advantage of hardware RAID is that no processing is being offloaded to the CPU. But with a Core i7, the overhead is nominal.

So my motherboard is maxed out on used SATA ports. For my DVD burner/Blu-Ray drive I had to run it off the eSATA port that's on the motherboard, but fortunately still "internal". So all 7 of my SATA ports are filled. :(

Oh well, I don't foresee a need for any more drives or RAID arrays, lol.
    I have my DVD's on the IDE. that frees my 8 SATA ports for the HDDs. There are IDE/SATA converts so you could run your DVD off the IDE.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok.. so I just looked up the socket type on my cpu, which is a LGA775. and it takes 65watts.

The recomended cpu for STO is a CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo, which is also a LGA775 socket. 65 watts for that one to. Am I safe to upgrade to the recommended CPU?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have my DVD's on the IDE. that frees my 8 SATA ports for the HDDs. There are IDE/SATA converts so you could run your DVD off the IDE.

Thanks. Unfortunately wouldn't help me with my RAID arrays to add another drive since the eSATA port I have my optical drive on is not a port that works with either RAID controller.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    sandman105 wrote: »
    Ok.. so I just looked up the socket type on my cpu, which is a LGA775. and it takes 65watts.

The recomended cpu for STO is a CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo, which is also a LGA775 socket. 65 watts for that one to. Am I safe to upgrade to the recommended CPU?

If you have an LGA775 socket system, you're most likely fine. Some low-end Pentium D and E CPUs can run on that socket, but none of those are 65W CPUs, so you're probably ok.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

What is your make/model of your PC? You should see if there a BIOS update.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

If you have an LGA775 socket system, you're most likely fine. Some low-end Pentium D and E CPUs can run on that socket, but none of those are 65W CPUs, so you're probably ok.

After researching this further, I've concluded that it's not a safe guess. There are a plethora of CPUs for LGA775 sockets that match the 65W TDP spec...

Celeron 4x5
    Celeron E1xxx
    Celeron E3xxx
    Pentium E2xxx
    Pentium E5xxx
    Pentium E6xxx
    Core 2 Duo E4xxx
    Core 2 Duo E6xxx
    Core 2 Duo E7xxx
    Core 2 Duo E8xxx
    Core 2 Quad Q7xxx
    Core 2 Quad Q8xxx
    Core 2 Quad Q9xxxS
    Core 2 Extreme X6xxx
    Xeon 31x0
    Xeon 31x3

IOW, needs more information to check to see what you have. Intel Celeron E to Intel Core 2 Extreme and Xeon is a HUGE range.
This discussion has been closed.