test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It isn't the AR Enterprise that is anomalous - its the Kelvin.

Comments

• captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User

azrael605 wrote: »
    @gradii

You should be prepared to ignore all further Trek incarnations then as the "closed for business" quote comes direct from the CBS board of directors, just sayin.

They've said that the new series will air 6 months after Beyond in order to avoid confusion between the two platforms and that it will be set before TNG. That means that it's going to be a Prime Universe show not a Kelvin Universe show.
    edited June 2016
    captsol wrote: »
    @gradii

You should be prepared to ignore all further Trek incarnations then as the "closed for business" quote comes direct from the CBS board of directors, just sayin.

They've said that the new series will air 6 months after Beyond in order to avoid confusion between the two platforms and that it will be set before TNG. That means that it's going to be a Prime Universe show not a Kelvin Universe show.

They have said no such thing about the show, those were rumors that the showrunner just flatly denied 2 days ago. Only thing there that is true is the needed gap of 6 months between Beyond's release and the show starting.

Even so, I seriously doubt they're going the Kelvin Universe route. Especially with so many Prime Universe actors interested in reprising their roles. Troi, Janeway and Ryan have all expressed interest in coming back. I don't think they're going to ignore that and freeze out that kind of potential by going with the Kelvin Universe.

Add to that the sheer marketability of the Prime Universe vs the Kelvin Universe. The Prime Universe has produced toys, games, video games, figures, memorabilia and so on and the Kelvin Universe really hasn't aside from a failed attempt at one video game in 2013, a handful of children's movie prop toys and this upcoming VR video game.
    @gradii

They have said no such thing about the show, those were rumors that the showrunner just flatly denied 2 days ago. Only thing there that is true is the needed gap of 6 months between Beyond's release and the show starting.

Even so, I seriously doubt they're going the Kelvin Universe route. Especially with so many Prime Universe actors interested in reprising their roles. Troi, Janeway and Ryan have all expressed interest in coming back. I don't think they're going to ignore that and freeze out that kind of potential by going with the Kelvin Universe.

Like I said the quote about the Prime Universe being "closed for business" came from the CBS execs themselves, no one else. They are the ones in charge so I'll take their word for it. Frankly I don't care if the show is Prime, Kelvin, or some currently unknown timeline/reality cause I'll be watching anyway. Well ok I would kind of prefer a completely new reality for the show as I have mentioned before, but thats just a slight preference.

I don't, either, honestly. I'm just saying that it personally makes little sense to me to set it in the Kelvin Universe based on certain things. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Hopefully it'll succeed either way. More Trek can only be good in my book.
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Well, yeah. The design was based on around 366 meters. It's just that it was inflated later on. So, what we get is a mess of 366 meter size shots and 725 meter shots. Going by Into Darkness, though, the Kelvin-verse Enterprise has to be 725 meters because the Vengeance is officially 1459 meters. So, with it being twice as long as the Enterprise that would have to make it around 725 meters.

If I recall correctly, British Khan told Kirk that the Vengeance was two times the size, not two times the length. When talking about an object with dynamic dimensions like a starship (especially those with whacked out designs at Trek) the phrase "Two times the size" would probably mean two times the total mass. In which case, IF the KT Enterprise is 366m, then based on total mass, the Vengeance would be slightly larger than a prime universe Ambassador-class. Which is still a mighty big ship.

However, the wrench in the works is the San Francisco crash landing sequence. In those shots, the Vengeance does appear to be something on the order of 1400-1500 meters, especially given how she one-shotted Alcatraz.

In a sense, both figures are valid. I personally prefer to go with the 366m figure for the KT Enterprise primarily because it makes the most mathematical sense and there is greater on-screen evidence to support it.

Q is a Magical Girl.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    The KT Enterprise started design as close to the TOS Enterprise, but due to sets being really large and thus making them impossible to actually fit in a 366m ship it got upscaled to make them fit. Unfortunately, when they made Trek09 they didn't care about the discrepancies. They were making a 'Trek flavored' action movie not a Star Trek movie. That's why it's best to just consider them separate universes; like how the BSG was a total reboot. That worked out much better, imo.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    edited June 2016
    Well, yeah. The design was based on around 366 meters. It's just that it was inflated later on. So, what we get is a mess of 366 meter size shots and 725 meter shots. Going by Into Darkness, though, the Kelvin-verse Enterprise has to be 725 meters because the Vengeance is officially 1459 meters. So, with it being twice as long as the Enterprise that would have to make it around 725 meters.

If I recall correctly, British Khan told Kirk that the Vengeance was two times the size, not two times the length. When talking about an object with dynamic dimensions like a starship (especially those with whacked out designs at Trek) the phrase "Two times the size" would probably mean two times the total mass. In which case, IF the KT Enterprise is 366m, then based on total mass, the Vengeance would be slightly larger than a prime universe Ambassador-class. Which is still a mighty big ship.

However, the wrench in the works is the San Francisco crash landing sequence. In those shots, the Vengeance does appear to be something on the order of 1400-1500 meters, especially given how she one-shotted Alcatraz.

In a sense, both figures are valid. I personally prefer to go with the 366m figure for the KT Enterprise primarily because it makes the most mathematical sense and there is greater on-screen evidence to support it.

That's true, but, going by the Starship Collection which is supposedly official the Vengeance is stated at being 1459 meters long. So, whether you believe it or not that's the closest we can get to a true size. Everything else is extrapolation and personal opinion.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2016
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    We also have to remember that the sets and models built for the PT were less-than appropriately sized considering the supposed-size of the model. Yes, I'm aware that it's canon..but fiscal constraints in the '60s were quite a bit different from those same limitations of today.

A +300-metre ship has a shuttlebay with enough room for *only* one shuttle to exit or enter at any one time? Also..do we have a given size for the Kelvin?

Going by the 'Official Starships Collection' by Eaglemoss the Kelvin is 315 meters long. Which I find hard to believe considering the shuttles and the crew of 800+.

Well, the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) is 342m long and had an operational compliment of 4800, including the air wing. The USS Gerald R. Ford is 337m and has a compliment of 4660. It's not in the realm of disbelief to imagine that a slightly smaller (fictional) ship has approximately 6-times fewer crew members, 200 years in the future.

Well, yeah. It's just that navy carriers don't have to deal with enclosed environments, support systems and so on that is required to keep those people alive in space. Plus the sheer number of shuttles the Kelvin had when the original Enterprise carried something like three.

Furthermore, based on this shot, I have a hard time believing I'm looking at 700+ meters of starship:
    109000007_orig.jpg

Like the AR Constitution, the Dreadnought doesn't have a canon size, all we can tell is that it's two to three times the size of the Enterprise.

20130823144835?path-prefix=en

A 360 metre AR Constitution would mean a Dreadnought slightly larger than the Galaxy in volume, and slightly longer then the Sovereign in length.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    We also have to remember that the sets and models built for the PT were less-than appropriately sized considering the supposed-size of the model. Yes, I'm aware that it's canon..but fiscal constraints in the '60s were quite a bit different from those same limitations of today.

A +300-metre ship has a shuttlebay with enough room for *only* one shuttle to exit or enter at any one time? Also..do we have a given size for the Kelvin?

Going by the 'Official Starships Collection' by Eaglemoss the Kelvin is 315 meters long. Which I find hard to believe considering the shuttles and the crew of 800+.

Well, the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) is 342m long and had an operational compliment of 4800, including the air wing. The USS Gerald R. Ford is 337m and has a compliment of 4660. It's not in the realm of disbelief to imagine that a slightly smaller (fictional) ship has approximately 6-times fewer crew members, 200 years in the future.

Well, yeah. It's just that navy carriers don't have to deal with enclosed environments, support systems and so on that is required to keep those people alive in space. Plus the sheer number of shuttles the Kelvin had when the original Enterprise carried something like three.

Furthermore, based on this shot, I have a hard time believing I'm looking at 700+ meters of starship:
    109000007_orig.jpg

Like the AR Constitution, the Dreadnought doesn't have a canon size, all we can tell is that it's two to three times the size of the Enterprise.

A 360 metre AR Constitution would mean a Dreadnought slightly larger than the Galaxy in volume, and slightly longer then the Sovereign in length.​​

Except that according to the Official Starships Collection it does. ;) Whether you believe that or not is up to you.

109000007_orig.jpg

A 360 metre AR Constitution would mean a Dreadnought slightly larger than the Galaxy in volume, and slightly longer then the Sovereign in length.

Except that according to the Official Starships Collection it does. ;) Whether you believe that or not is up to you.

Sigh. Not canon. Just because it's official it doesn't make it correct. The pictures you quoted? Canon. ~360m and ~850m. Have you read the sizes for things in the 'official' DS9 technical manual? Also wrong. Do people try pretend those figures are correct and the onscreen models are wrong? No, because people irrationally hate TAR enough to nitpick that and not TUC.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

109000007_orig.jpg

A 360 metre AR Constitution would mean a Dreadnought slightly larger than the Galaxy in volume, and slightly longer then the Sovereign in length.

Sigh. Not canon. Just because it's official it doesn't make it correct. The pictures you quoted? Canon. ~360m and ~850m. Have you read the sizes for things in the 'official' DS9 technical manual? Also wrong. Do people try pretend those figures are correct and the onscreen models are wrong? No, because people irrationally hate TAR enough to nitpick that and not TUC.​​

Like I said, that's your opinion. There's no canon information that they're 360 meters vs 850 meters. Just like there's none that says they aren't.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Going back to the discussion regarding the Kelvin's size and mentioning the length of modern aircraft carriers and their crew compliments, ship length alone means nothing. We also have to consider mass as well. You can have a 1 inch tube that is 315 meters long and still say its 315 meters long. The Kelvin's saucer clearly makes up the bulk of the ship, which could easily support a crew of 800 with the right facilities to support said crew number. To support the number of shuttles however, we may have to consider that perhaps the Kelvin's Secondary Hull was dedicated to support facilities such as the Deflector, maybe some sensors, and primarilly the Shuttlebay. Many shuttles could be stored in the shuttlebay, but others may be held in a hanger under the main shuttlebay deck and brought up via elevator like on a modern carrier.
    latest?cb=20160125234442&path-prefix=en
    kelvin.jpg
    If we consider the bottom of that bay door to coinside with the deck of the shuttlebay, this clearly shows that there is some bulk underneath the deck. Potentially shuttle storage. If the Kelvin was a survey ship, the number of shuttles could indicated that she was meant for long term planetary surveys. Get teams out across the whole planet sort of thing, using the shuttles as a kind of base camp. In 2233 Starfleet may still rely heavilly on shuttles as Transporters aren't as refined. Remember how everyone was skittish about using the Transporter on the NX-01? Its still an evolving tech.

latest?cb=20091115173644&path-prefix=en
    Now this fiasco of a shuttlebay is a little harder to explain. The doors seem to be more like those of her Prime Universe counterpart. However she seems to have the massive space a lot like the Kelvin, which may indicate that most of the secondary hull is dedicated to support functions such as Engineering (probably more towards the neck to support the core eject we saw in '09) and Shuttle operations.
    New-USS-Enterprise-NCC-1701.jpg
    Using the reasoning for the Kelvin's shuttlebay is a little harder for the Enterprise as there isn't as much bulk under the shuttle deck.
    This feature has also changed size, as in the scene where the Enterprise is recieveing a bunch of shuttles, they appear small and able to enter maybe 2 at a time, yet when Pike takes out one of the shuttles, the shuttle is bigger and just fits out the shuttlebay in a manner comparable to the original TOS Connie.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Going back to the discussion regarding the Kelvin's size and mentioning the length of modern aircraft carriers and their crew compliments, ship length alone means nothing. We also have to consider mass as well. You can have a 1 inch tube that is 315 meters long and still say its 315 meters long. The Kelvin's saucer clearly makes up the bulk of the ship, which could easily support a crew of 800 with the right facilities to support said crew number. To support the number of shuttles however, we may have to consider that perhaps the Kelvin's Secondary Hull was dedicated to support facilities such as the Deflector, maybe some sensors, and primarilly the Shuttlebay. Many shuttles could be stored in the shuttlebay, but others may be held in a hanger under the main shuttlebay deck and brought up via elevator like on a modern carrier.
    kelvin.jpg
    If we consider the bottom of that bay door to coinside with the deck of the shuttlebay, this clearly shows that there is some bulk underneath the deck. Potentially shuttle storage. If the Kelvin was a survey ship, the number of shuttles could indicated that she was meant for long term planetary surveys. Get teams out across the whole planet sort of thing, using the shuttles as a kind of base camp. In 2233 Starfleet may still rely heavilly on shuttles as Transporters aren't as refined as they will be in the 2350s. Remember how everyone was skittish about using the Transporter on the NX-01? Its still an evolving tech.

Now this fiasco of a shuttlebay is a little harder to explain. The doors seem to be more like those of her Prime Universe counterpart. However she seems to have the massive space a lot like the Kelvin, which may indicate that most of the secondary hull is dedicated to support functions such as Engineering (probably more towards the neck to support the core eject we saw in '09) and Shuttle operations.
    Using the reasoning for the Kelvin's shuttlebay is a little harder for the Enterprise as there isn't as much bulk under the shuttle deck.
    This feature has also changed size, as in the scene where the Enterprise is recieveing a bunch of shuttles, they appear small and able to enter maybe 2 at a time, yet when Pike takes out one of the shuttles, the shuttle is bigger and just fits out the shuttlebay in a manner comparable to the original TOS Connie.

The cutaway we've seen in Popular Mechanics does support the idea of the engineering hull being focused on support.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    You don't need many people in the KTTrek©® Enterprise with that big brewery in the Engine Room.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    You don't need many people in the KTTrek©® Enterprise with that big brewery in the Engine Room.

That's why I prefer the engine room with the actual warp core from the 2013 Star Trek Game. ;) One of the few good things about that game.
    edited June 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    kelvin.jpg
    If we consider the bottom of that bay door to coinside with the deck of the shuttlebay, this clearly shows that there is some bulk underneath the deck. Potentially shuttle storage. If the Kelvin was a survey ship, the number of shuttles could indicated that she was meant for long term planetary surveys. Get teams out across the whole planet sort of thing, using the shuttles as a kind of base camp. In 2233 Starfleet may still rely heavilly on shuttles as Transporters aren't as refined. Remember how everyone was skittish about using the Transporter on the NX-01? Its still an evolving tech.

No, no. That's working things out from the actual model. You need to ignore that and focus only on numbers relating to a hypothetical model somewhere. Don't go looking to the actual film for answers to how big things are in said film. Go to what was intended, but never made it to the film. That's how you scale things from films.

/Amature​​

#TASforSTO

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    who says that was the engine room to begin with? spock may have given scotty his prime counterpart's working calculations for transwarp beaming, but WORKING doesn't mean ACCURATE​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    who says that was the engine room to begin with? spock may have given scotty his prime counterpart's working calculations for transwarp beaming, but WORKING doesn't mean ACCURATE

Well it's not the main room for sure. That has the Warp Core in it. It could be a cooling system. But I'm sure that room could fit between the front of the secondary hull and up into the neck.​​

#TASforSTO

who says that was the engine room to begin with? spock may have given scotty his prime counterpart's working calculations for transwarp beaming, but WORKING doesn't mean ACCURATE​​

The water tubes they wound up in were obviously Cetacean Ops. ;)
    it could also be a cooling system for one of the nacelles...you know, those things that constantly have warp plasma pumping through them? plasma tends to be pretty hot, so you'd need some way to keep things cool​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Then it WAS a brewery. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    it could also be a cooling system for one of the nacelles...you know, those things that constantly have warp plasma pumping through them? plasma tends to be pretty hot, so you'd need some way to keep things cool

There's no room in even those ample nacelles. At least I don't see it.​​

#TASforSTO

ltminns wrote: »
    Then it WAS a brewery. ;)

Kelvin Timeline Enterprise only served Budweiser. >:)
    Yes, and their five year mission was to bring Bud to all the outlying Colonies, Settlements, and Outposts.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    The entire crew of the NX-01 was able to hold out in the nacelles of Enterprise. But if Turbine Section 3 in the '09 movie was a colling system for the nacelles, it was probably near one of the nacelle struts and not in the actual nacelle.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited June 2016
    yeah, they definitely didn't beam into the engine room ( which is actually called main engineering - aka, the warp core room), because we saw that in ID, and there was no sign of those big water tubes anywhere

engineering deck, maybe; engine room, no​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Do we have actual dimensions for the brewer or the laser room that stood in for turbine control and the warp core? Because I'm still sure they can be squeezed into a ~360m ship. Not with much room for anything else in that bit of the hull but I'm sure they can fit. I mean TMP's warp core was about the size of ID's core (well, including the matte painting :#) and that managed to fit.​​

#TASforSTO

not that i know of...and i'd like to know what breweries you people have been visiting, because i've seen pictures of some and NONE of them ever had anything even remotely close to giant tubes of water running through them​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Do we have actual dimensions for the brewer or the laser room that stood in for turbine control and the warp core? Because I'm still sure they can be squeezed into a ~360m ship. Not with much room for anything else in that bit of the hull but I'm sure they can fit. I mean TMP's warp core was about the size of ID's core (well, including the matte painting :#) and that managed to fit.​​

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/star-treks-engineering-deck-brewery/

It was filmed in the Anheuser-Busch brewery in Van Nuys. So, if you can get the floor plans and do a little math I'm sure it can be plotted out.
    But we don't brew space beer either. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    okay, forget what i said above about never having seen a brewery containing pipes like that - now i have​​

#LegalizeAwoo