test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It isn't the AR Enterprise that is anomalous - its the Kelvin.

nixbooxnixboox Member Posts: 1,041 Arc User
Seeing the specs on the AR Enterprise was shocking - its bigger than the Galaxy class! But then I remembered the AR Enterprise isn't the ship that would be out of proportion, it was the Kelvin.

Everything after the instant when the Kelvin encountered Nero's black hole Borg-looking Narada mining vessel was a completely different reality than the one we've come to experience in Trek.

THAT version of Trek reality, knowing that they've just encountered a hugantic alien vessel that comes carrying black holes meant that ALL of the Federation's ship building efforts would tend toward equally large ships. Of course the Enterprise - flagship of the Federation - was going to be way bigger than the Prime Timeline variant.

It is logical.

What is illogical, then, is that the Kelvin was so damn big. We could explain that anomaly by suggesting that there is to be a temporal incursion into the AR timeline that will happen before Nero which prompts the Federation to think big about ship design in the alternate reality. Maybe a feature episode?

Comments

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'm pretty much of the opinion that the dark masters of Trekdom at CBS have entirely washed their hands of the closed-for-business-verse and consider the Kelvin Timeline a fully separate quantum reality where the writers can paint on blank canvas. Make no assumptions and presume NOTHING for the old continuity is certain until the new canon tells you it is so.
  • auckaaucka Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    I'm pretty much of the opinion that the dark masters of Trekdom at CBS have entirely washed their hands of the closed-for-business-verse and consider the Kelvin Timeline a fully separate quantum reality where the writers can paint on blank canvas. Make no assumptions and presume NOTHING for the old continuity is certain until the new canon tells you it is so.

That's not an unfair assessment. It is clear that Abrams and Orci intended for their universe to be parallel to the prime universe and branch off at the Narada incursion, but there were already disconnects from the pre-existing prime universe prior to the incursion that didn't add up -- the look and feel of the Kelvin, the uniforms worn by the Kelvin crew, Chekov's age discrepancy, etc.

In a perfectly realized universe, the Kelvin would have looked more like the Jeffries designs from The Cage, with similar uniforms, perhaps a bit modernized, but not so out of step as to have the window/viewscreen tech, etc.

Rather than be insulted and face-slapped by this, though, I'm happy to accept the Kelvin Timeline as it's own bubble universe with its own continuity and technology evolution. It's the stories and the characters that really matter, not the minutia, and we Trekkies have a way of becoming so obsessed with the fine details that we overlook (sometimes willfully) the larger strokes.

The Abrams films aren't exactly the Star Trek we grew up with, whether we grew up with TOS as the only Star Trek (as I did), or during the TNG era, or even during the ENT era. But that's ok. Every generation has presented a Star Trek that differs in respects from the previous generation. TNG is nothing like TOS. DS9 is a dark political serial that strongly contrasts TNG's inherent optimism, VOY is different from both TNG and DS9, and ENT is different from them all. Mostly they dovetail together, but we know that Star Trek was rife with disconnects in continuity long before Abrams ever took the reins.

I enjoy the Abrams films as what they are: more modern and action-driven Star Trek films with a different look and feel, set in an alternate bubble universe, that nevertheless share the same philosophical, emotional, and optimistic underpinnings of their predecessors.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    Everything after the instant when the Kelvin encountered Nero's black hole Borg-looking Narada mining vessel was a completely different reality than the one we've come to experience in Trek.
    Actually, the Kelvin itself was completely different. The Kelvin existed before the Temporal Incursion, and was already a rather large ship by comparison to a TOS Constitution. You only need to recall the interior engineering scenes, or the number of shuttles that escaped (that would otherwise have been docked within) to reach that conclusion.

The argument about the AR Constitution being large is void, because the Kelvin was already that large well before the Narada showed up. If the Kelvin was half he size of the AR Constitution, it would still be around half he size of a Galaxy Class, which would still be defined as too big.

It's ultimately a mute point; the new films are just that, new. For all intense purposes, they can do what they want and don't have to offer an explanation. I do think though that they'd have been better off removing the time travel element from the film and just rebooted Trek on a fresh canvas.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    flash525 wrote: »
    I do think though that they'd have been better off removing the time travel element from the film and just rebooted Trek on a fresh canvas.

Agreed. It was an interesting conceit, but they would have been better off with just a straight remake/reboot.

• amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    nixboox wrote: »
    Actually, the Kelvin itself was completely different. The Kelvin existed before the Temporal Incursion, and was already a rather large ship by comparison to a TOS Constitution. You only need to recall the interior engineering scenes, or the number of shuttles that escaped (that would otherwise have been docked within) to reach that conclusion.

The argument about the AR Constitution being large is void, because the Kelvin was already that large well before the Narada showed up. If the Kelvin was half he size of the AR Constitution, it would still be around half he size of a Galaxy Class, which would still be defined as too big.

It's ultimately a mute point; the new films are just that, new. For all intense purposes, they can do what they want and don't have to offer an explanation. I do think though that they'd have been better off removing the time travel element from the film and just rebooted Trek on a fresh canvas.

To be fair though, outside of the Daedalus-class we don't know very much about the Federation/Starfleet after its formation up to the launch of the Enterprise. The Kelvin was stated to be a survey ship by the production staff, so maybe Starfleet made big ships like that back then that were designed to hold lots of people. Conversely the USS Franklin in the next film is decidedly small even compared to the NX-class, so clearly not all ships way back then were being built big.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
    I do think though that they'd have been better off removing the time travel element from the film and just rebooted Trek on a fresh canvas.
    aucka wrote: »
    Agreed. It was an interesting conceit, but they would have been better off with just a straight remake/reboot.

But then we wouldn't have gotten Leonard Nimoy reprising his role!! Your argument is null and void!! :grin:

But then we wouldn't have gotten Leonard Nimoy reprising his role!! Your argument is null and void!! :grin:

Touche. Although, while it was nice to see Leonard for two final movies, his role in Into Darkness seemed kind of gratuitous. "Hi, Spock, this is Spock. I'm wondering if Spock ever met someone named Khan."

Kind of sounds like Rickey Henderson.

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Both the Kelvin and AR Constitution are scaled in canon to perfectly reasonable sizes. The Kelvin is almost exactly the same size as the Constellation and the AR Constitution has nacelles that push it to slightly longer than the original refit. The Dreadnought, however, is roundabout the size of the Galaxy (even bigger if it is more than twice the size as the AR Constitution) . The Kelvin was carrying a lot of people for a ship that small though. Presumably families or on a colony run.
    Providing you only go by the evidence onscreen (i.e. official canon) there is little problem (other than a few contradictions), the problems occur when you start taking behind the scenes information that contradicts the onscreen evidence and contravening CBS' official canon policy by holding the BtS stuff above the onscreen stuff.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    When Spock and Nero went back in time. They also went to a different Universe Reality as well. That is not part of the "Prime" Time and Reality. The Kelvin was a different ship than what the Prime had in that time. Thus that alone made it a different Reality from the start. The Uniforms was the 2nd clue. Then the Ceti Eel they used on Pike. Where in TWOK they showed and told how the Eel works on mind control later killing the host. Even if you do go back in time and change events. No were that would change the biology of humans and animals. More like how events unfolded and changed from what it should been. That alone also shows proof on not being the "Prime Reality". Final none of the TOS series character look and act the same. So once again you have a whole different group. Cause you can't change DNA and biology just going back in time.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The NuTrek Enterprise is almost certainly not 'slightly' longer than the TOS Connie. Aside from the bridge viewscreen/window shot, basically everything that one can get a reasonable approximation of scale has shown it to be far, far larger. The Engineering section, the shuttlebay, when we see it under construction on earth. It's a large ship by Trek standards, extremely large considering the time period.

The Kelvin is likewise quite large for the time period, but doesn't have the excuse of time travel interference to justify the differences. Hence the arguments that the JJVerse is best defined as either a completely parallel dimension (like the mirror universe), as a completely different setting, or as the result of the timeline being affected by time travel prior to the Kelvin incident.
    The NuTrek Enterprise is almost certainly not 'slightly' longer than the TOS Connie. Aside from the bridge viewscreen/window shot, basically everything that one can get a reasonable approximation of scale has shown it to be far, far larger. The Engineering section, the shuttlebay, when we see it under construction on earth. It's a large ship by Trek standards, extremely large considering the time period.

The Kelvin is likewise quite large for the time period, but doesn't have the excuse of time travel interference to justify the differences. Hence the arguments that the JJVerse is best defined as either a completely parallel dimension (like the mirror universe), as a completely different setting, or as the result of the timeline being affected by time travel prior to the Kelvin incident.

It's the other way around sorry. Other than the shuttlebay everything else points to the shorter length the model was built to.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Now, now... There's no arguing with a fan with a protractor. Clinging to shooting errors over plainly stated creator AND owner intent is the Star Trek fan way. And why nobody wants to work on a property mired in 50 years of random accumulated detritus.

Now, now... There's no arguing with a fan with a protractor. Clinging to shooting errors over plainly stated creator AND owner intent is the Star Trek fan way. And why nobody wants to work on a property mired in 50 years of random accumulated detritus.

Why do you hold creator intent over creator product? Do you buy shoddy cars or other products in real life because they were meant to be better?​​

#TASforSTO

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Why do you hold creator intent over creator product? Do you buy shoddy cars or other products in real life because they were meant to be better?​​

I've learned to ignore his posts, its clear someone who insists on referring to the Prime timeline as the "Closed for businessverse" is a troll looking for reactions.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    edited June 2016

I'm sorry. What size is it in the game again?

You can scream "CBS's Rule for canon" all you like, the people who actually make Trek stuff are being given other instructions. You tell me which has more practical impact.

gradii wrote: »
    I've learned to ignore his posts, its clear someone who insists on referring to the Prime timeline as the "Closed for businessverse" is a troll looking for reactions.

And in about 29 days we'll all know if I'm merely mocking people who think they're clever and snide with the "JJverse" or if I'm a prophet who saw the writing on the wall. Really, I'm willing to wait to find out and I'm not gonna be heartbroken either way.

...Ok, if the new series makes reference to Voyarger in any way that doesn't include spitting on it, I might be a little put out. But I enjoy the novels far too much to have the kind of hate for the prime universe that JJHaters have for the KT setting.

Since when was the game canon? It has zero effect on Canon material.

Who called the PR closedforbuisnesverse? Me? I've never even referee to it. I remeber the thread at the time but I don't even think I went in it.

Remember when the designer of the Miranda said it has the warp nacelles on top? I guess that's canon as the designer knows better than the people that filmed it or built it right? There's even a scene in DS9 where one turns over. I guess that proves they are upsidedown the rest of the time eh?

#TASforSTO

• catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited June 2016

It's the other way around sorry. Other than the shuttlebay everything else points to the shorter length the model was built to.​​

I have no idea where you get that from. What other scenes show it as smaller? The construction scenes where it is bigger than the TOS Ent? The engineering section so vast that a galaxy class would have difficulty accommodate it (and yet still has room for the massive shuttle bay)? When it rises from the water in into darkness, showing it to be absolutely massive? What exactly is this 'everything else'?
    gradii wrote: »

Just because one has an opinion different from the one you have does not make them a troll.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    If I recall the original concept for the Kelvin was smaller and very TOS looking
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    i know a good way to solve the KT connie size argument while staying within CBS' canon guideline...figure out the approximate size of the vengeance; since it was mentioned as being 'twice the size' of the enterprise, get the value for it and just divide by 2

getting the vengeance's size should be simple enough, since we have all those buildings in san francisco to scale it against as it merrily drives its way down one of the city's streets​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    if it's not onscreen, it's not canon

so unless the length of the vengeance was shown somewhere in ID (and NOT in a deleted scene or behind-the-scenes scene), then no, we don't know the size​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    The visual clues (other than the ridiculous TARDIS shuttlebay) on the hull of the Enterprise put her at 366 meters to have everything scaled properly. While larger than even a refit Prime Connie, that is still a reasonable size.

The Kelvin comes from a time not covered on screen, so uniforms and ship designs are naturally going to be up in the air. And arguing that uniforms = different universe is a sad attempt at best. How many times did the uniforms change in the TNG era? 4 times. In the span of how many years?

2350s-2365
    latest?cb=20121208043922&path-prefix=en
    latest?cb=20120205172837&path-prefix=en
    late 2360s-early 2370s
    latest?cb=20111209201951&path-prefix=en
    latest?cb=20121217161450&path-prefix=en

We already have at least a 20 year timeline of uniform changes in TNG ALONE! That proves that uniforms can change quickly. We have no idea how long the Kelvin style uniforms had been in service. Your Cage style uniforms were said to be in service in the 2350s in the prime universe until about 2265. The Kelvin uniforms predate that by at least 20 years.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    um...i don't see any difference between the 2350-65 and 2366 uniform​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Collar and the piping across the shoulders. While the design wasn't a big change, the style did change a bit.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I GOT IT! Because of Nero's damage, multiple future time travel events from the Prime Universe (such as First Contact, and if you want to include STO then the Iconian time travel stuff) never happened, which lead to the pre-Kelvin changes. Perhaps even the Temporal Cold War had a different outcome, or just never happened at all.

Essentially, changes to the future also impacted the past, by changing or eliminating expected temporal violations.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    This is like the fourteenth Thread about size.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    When Spock and Nero went back in time. They also went to a different Universe Reality as well. That is not part of the "Prime" Time and Reality. The Kelvin was a different ship than what the Prime had in that time. Thus that alone made it a different Reality from the start. The Uniforms was the 2nd clue. Then the Ceti Eel they used on Pike. Where in TWOK they showed and told how the Eel works on mind control later killing the host. Even if you do go back in time and change events. No were that would change the biology of humans and animals. More like how events unfolded and changed from what it should been. That alone also shows proof on not being the "Prime Reality". Final none of the TOS series character look and act the same. So once again you have a whole different group. Cause you can't change DNA and biology just going back in time.

All we know is that they traveled to a place that looked like the 23rd Century Federation. It is just as likely that they didn't travel back in time, but just traveled to a universe that looked like the 23rd Century. There is also the difference between both Kirk's birthplace and time and Caitians. Changing the past in Star Trek is usually permanent unless the hero goes back in time to save their familiar present with The City on the Edge of Forever, First Contact, Children of Time, and Storm Front. Alternate Kirk was born on January 4 in one of USS Kelvin's shuttle while Kirk was born on March 22 in Iowa. Caitians in Into Darkness don't have any fur. This is why I will use Kelvin Universe and not Kelvin Timeline for the new alternative reality.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    starkaos wrote: »

All we know is that they traveled to a place that looked like the 23rd Century Federation. It is just as likely that they didn't travel back in time, but just traveled to a universe that looked like the 23rd Century. There is also the difference between both Kirk's birthplace and time and Caitians. Changing the past in Star Trek is usually permanent unless the hero goes back in time to save their familiar present with The City on the Edge of Forever, First Contact, Children of Time, and Storm Front. Alternate Kirk was born on January 4 in one of USS Kelvin's shuttle while Kirk was born on March 22 in Iowa. Caitians in Into Darkness don't have any fur. This is why I will use Kelvin Universe and not Kelvin Timeline for the new alternative reality.

The Caitians could easily be explained as a hairless breed.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Guys have been talking about "size comparisons" since... well, Cain & Abel.

Why should this be any different?
    <chuckle>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

The Caitians could easily be explained as a hairless breed.

Then they would need to show the regular version in the Kelvin Universe to prove that there are regular breeds and hairless breeds. It would have been easier if they just created their own alien races instead of massively changing the known races.