Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Does anybody really care anymore?

The way things are going with the rumor mill even I, "Mr. Glass-Half-Full" don't think this is going to be "Star Trek" at this point.

The stuff being leaked looks awful.

<shrug>

"Leaks" without context are not really anything to go by. In terms of the show, I'm still intrigued - it can be terrible, it can be good, who knows.

However, I am fairly certain that CBS will ruin it because I am pretty much convinced that they do not comprehend how to distribute and design a show for a streaming service and will produce DSC as if it was a Network TV show. I might be wrong, but that's my biggest fear. CBS is the great-grand-dinosaur of everything that was and is wrong with TV, after all.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    steaen wrote: »
    Really pleased with the choice of Jason Isaacs as the Captain of the Discovery, even if he won't be as much of a focal point as previous Captains have been. He's a great actor, and I look forward to seeing what he'll bring to the show.

They keep saying that, but that just makes me wonder what IS going going to be the main focal point.

I suspect it'll be similar to Battlestar Galactica in this one aspect. In BSG Commander/Admiral Adama called the shots military wise, but the story usually focused on those under his command like Apollo, Starbuck, Athena, and Tyrol.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Kinda like if Kirk and Picard hadn't felt the need to personally oversee each and every away team mission. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Really pleased with the choice of Jason Isaacs as the Captain of the Discovery, even if he won't be as much of a focal point as previous Captains have been. He's a great actor, and I look forward to seeing what he'll bring to the show.

Just realized that Lucius Malfoy is going to be a Starfleet Captain. Would certainly be interesting to have a protagonist Starfleet Captain not follow the heroic ideal that the other protagonist Starfleet Captains have consistently followed.

Wasn't Janeway pretty close to being amoral by the end of the show. She had a pretty consistent tendency to rationalize whatever horrible things she was doing and seemed to enjoy messing with the junior officers on occasion.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited March 2017
    lordrezeon wrote: »

Just realized that Lucius Malfoy is going to be a Starfleet Captain. Would certainly be interesting to have a protagonist Starfleet Captain not follow the heroic ideal that the other protagonist Starfleet Captains have consistently followed.

Wasn't Janeway pretty close to being amoral by the end of the show. She had a pretty consistent tendency to rationalize whatever horrible things she was doing and seemed to enjoy messing with the junior officers on occasion.

She damn near had a complete mental breakdown, if you follow SFDebris' characterization of Janeway.

The more serious characterization, that is... although the "crazy Janeway" has equal (if not greater) merit in my book. :smiley:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lordrezeon wrote: »

Even at her worst, she didn't even come close to Captain Ransom and his crew. Although part of that could be due to Janeway commanding an Intrepid which was one of the better equipped 24th Century Starfleet ships compared to Ransom commanding a Nova. Put Janeway in a Nova and she likely would be worse than Ransom.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    To be honest.... I kinda think Ransom's issues were at least in part his own creation
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

They keep saying that, but that just makes me wonder what IS going going to be the main focal point.

I suspect it'll be similar to Battlestar Galactica in this one aspect. In BSG Commander/Admiral Adama called the shots military wise, but the story usually focused on those under his command like Apollo, Starbuck, Athena, and Tyrol.

That would work, as long as it lasts. I keep saying in regards to the XO being the main character, they tried that with Will Riker in TNG, but Picard stole the show. The key practical difference between Star Trek and nBSG is as follows:
    • nBSG is aircraft carrier combat. The ship's controls and crew responsibilities are decentralized and the ship relies on its air wing as the primary strike force. The guy barking the orders is in a cockpit mixing it up.
    • Star Trek is battleship combat. Controls are centralized on the bridge and crew responsibilities outside the bridge are limited to damage control and medical. People pay attention to the guy in center chair barking the orders, not the guy standing next to him.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, DS9 managed an ensemble cast extremely well. I'm just skeptical about how long it will last before we're focused on Captain Lorca instead of Commander Rainsford.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Well if they tell a story about exploration and diplomacy instead of combat...
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's not a good idea, DS9 managed an ensemble cast extremely well. I'm just skeptical about how long it will last before we're focused on Captain Lorca instead of Commander Rainsford.

Or, far more likely... Rainsford gets promoted to captain...

I really hope that doesn't happen. I hate this tropes in Trek that Starfleet is the end-all-be-all in the future, and the CAPTAIN is the end-all-be-all of Starfleet. There have been writers, like Ron Moore, that tried to break those notions... but, it seems like they've never stuck.
  • Options
    O... M... G....

We have a new Harry Mudd, according to TrekCore.

635917076783020956-1943515409_dwight.jpeg

Is this an April Fools joke?!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, that's just weird.

It must be true, all the big sites are citing it from Variety.
    (who broke the story about 3 hours ago)

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-rainn-wilson-harry-mudd-1202019986/

But he might actually be able to pull it off.

I just hope they don't go with a completely corny kind of character.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    mhall85 wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »

Or, far more likely... Rainsford gets promoted to captain...

I really hope that doesn't happen. I hate this tropes in Trek that Starfleet is the end-all-be-all in the future, and the CAPTAIN is the end-all-be-all of Starfleet. There have been writers, like Ron Moore, that tried to break those notions... but, it seems like they've never stuck.

My gut feeling is that the Discovery's Captain is going to be a "Jellico-type" that most of the crew don't like.
    (or perhaps even as bad as Bligh was imagined to be)

That'll give our new "Number One" plenty of things to have to deal with from both above and below.

Which is probably the direction they were originally going to go with VOYAGER, but the 'Higher-Ups" most likely didn't want an antagonistic Captain on the show, so we ended up with Janeway only being a bit annoying.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    O... M... G....

isn't that the psychotic german guy from The Office?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    O... M... G....

YES
  • Options
    O... M... G....

You mean Dwight K. Schrute? Yup. :smiley:

It makes sense, given Wilson's background. I certainly think he has the range to pull it off, if Mudd is to be the comic relief he was in TOS (and I don't see why it wouldn't). He could pull off the mustache, too, LOL.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    isn't that the psychotic german guy from The Office?

I think he's Amish, but yes pig-1.gif

If this is no joke, then let me just say PERFEKTENSCHLAG!

tenor.gif

His performance would definitely improve DSC, no matter what else is going on.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    https://youtu.be/Km5qVwZvjm8

Holy crude on a cracker watch this, if the rumours are true Les Moonves deserves to be fired.

I don't mind his idea of making the show sexier, that's actually a good call, and I while wasn't thrilled with some of Fullers choices, I knew he was at least a fan and took the show seriously, but some of this is just crazy, like STO odder plots are mild by comparison crazy, and STO might chose to not touch anything coming out of Discovery with a ten foot pole crazy.

I knew these tools such just have rented the rights to make the next Star Trek Series to Netflix, Netflix understands the star trek fans and how streaming services work, they could have handle this responsibility, instead Les Moonves ends up micro managing a business model he can't handle and a series and genre he doesn't grasp with a fan base he doesn't respect.

Disaster ahead.
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Holy crude on a cracker watch this, if the rumours are true Les Moonves deserves to be fired.

I don't mind his idea of making the show sexier, that's actually a good call, and I while wasn't thrilled with some of Fullers choices, I knew he was at least a fan and took the show seriously, but some of this is just crazy, like STO odder plots are mild by comparison crazy, and STO might chose to not touch anything coming out of Discovery with a ten foot pole crazy.

I knew these tools such just have rented the rights to make the next Star Trek Series to Netflix, Netflix understands the star trek fans and how streaming services work, they could have handle this responsibility, instead Les Moonves ends up micro managing a business model he can't handle and a series and genre he doesn't grasp with a fan base he doesn't respect.

Disaster ahead.

This just proves why doing a sequel is easier than doing a prequel. Especially, one that is set 10 years before TOS. Klingons and Klingon ships have to look similar to what they looked like in TOS. Set it in 2409 and the creators of Discovery can do whatever they want with the looks of the ships, technology, and uniforms, but set it in 2255 drastically limits what is possible with what the creators can do. If Les Moonves is smart, then he would set Discovery in 2409 or later. Star Trek fans are more tolerant of change when it is set decades or a century in the future instead of 10 years before TOS.

The new "Klingon" look is meh, but I definitely like the look of the "Klingon" ship. If the creators of Discovery want the "Klingon" crew and ship, then just set Discovery as an Exploration Expedition and have the "Klingon" crew and ship as a new alien race. Discovery has to follow what Voyager did if the creators want to get creative 10 years before TOS.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Am I missing something? Have we seen any Klingons or their ships yet?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Have we seen any Klingons or their ships yet?​​

There was a twitter image about someone on the set being with their Klingon crew. It could be just a misunderstanding by the person that made the tweet, but there is no way to know for sure until official confirmation or the show comes out. Then there is the Klingon Sarcophagus ship. The video makes it seem like the people in charge of Discovery don't care about canon.

bgxh5WCSHt34ahbbfsXQyR.jpg

e20144f92ccc9c32fd2eb56fedc9888a04ef6c47bd196094395207c08b5e32f7.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    The person who tweeted that image later explained that these were not described to him as Klingons - he just thought they were reminiscent of that.

As for rumors, remember when the rumor was that the next series was going to definitely for sure be set at Starfleet Academy? When the label "Star Trek Deep Space 90210" was revived, from its coffers from the late '90s? Yeah, that one didn't happen. I wouldn't put a lot of credence in rumors, especially when the corroborating "evidence" is a YouTube video. (As I have to keep reminding my roommate, when he natters on about something he saw on YouTube, I can find you three entire series dealing with people being attacked by the Slenderman and his minions. Doesn't make Slenderman real.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Rumors...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The first image is the old 'IhaveapassingknowledgeofStarTrek' off hand comment by somebody with no knowledge of what they were doing that lead to the whole sill 'genericrisianlikealiensinIntoDarknessareCaitians' chaos.

The second looks like fan art.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »

Disaster ahead.

What a load of garbage.

First of all, using Collider's Jon Campea as a focal point for the video? He's a blow-hard, and more importantly, a self-proclaimed Star Wars FANATIC. Now, I'm not necessarily saying he's lying, and being a SW fan isn't a good or bad thing. I do know that Campea knows little-to-nothing about Trek. He also constantly points out on Collider that he "is not into breaking scoops." So, I don't think his opinion holds much weight (at least in my book).

Second of all, this is the first I have heard of Mooves "micro-managing" the series. Clearly, the series has not had a smooth ride through pre-production... but this is all hearsay, or smacks of connecting-the-dots for purposes of clickbait. A lot of fans (rightly or wrongly) blame Mooves for cancelling Enterprise, so I personally believe this segment of the fan base will never forgive Moonves for that. They're looking for a reason to hate this show. Shoot, the DC properties that are broadcast on CW (a CBS co-owned network with WB) are killing it with fans, and Moonves seems smart enough to stay out of it. Bottom line: until I see more proof, I don't buy it.

Finally, fans need to get over this Netflix thing. Even if the show was on Netflix alone, CBS would still hold full creative control because they own Star Trek. At best, Netflix would just be the distributor, and would have little to no impact of the creative process of the show. In other words, things wouldn't be that much different.

IMO, fans need to calm it down with this "DOOMED" talk. Trek fans notoriously hated TNG at the beginning. Trek fans also hated DS9 for a long time. Discovery may suck, or it just might surprise us. Let's reserve judgement until after the show premieres.
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    As for rumors, remember when the rumor was that the next series was going to definitely for sure be set at Starfleet Academy? When the label "Star Trek Deep Space 90210" was revived, from its coffers from the late '90s? Yeah, that one didn't happen.

Not only that, but remember the Faraci/BirthMoviesDeath rumor? The show was going to be an anthology AND the first season was to be set between TUC and TNG?

I do. I also remember being shouted down by Trek fans on Reddit for questioning the rumor, because "Faraci is well-connected" and "is also a big Trek fan and knows his stuff." Shoot, one of those fans cramming that garbage down my throat was a writer from TrekMovie.

I still take great enjoyment over how WRONG those people were.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I loved DS9 from the beginning.

And it could all be gossip. To be honest I didn't care for Brian Fuller's ideas either honestly.

To me at this point STO is star trek and I don't care what discovery does as I'm more invested in STO canon then the original canon.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Eh, it is no secret that science fiction is generally disliked by TV and movie studios. It is expensive to make and requires extra care and effort to make a quality product out of it. The stories also aren't easily condensed into bite sized elevator pitches that the network big shots rely on for decision making. Back when Enterprise was made the attitude seemed to be that the fan base would buy anything with the Trek label on it regardless of quality. Instead of owning any responsibility for Enterprises failure, the network instead blamed the audience for being unreasonable.

As for how this relates to Discovery... I haven't really seen anything from CBS that says they learned any lessons from Enterprises mistakes.

---

My biggest concern at the moment is that the project seems poised to be another one of modern Hollywood's hamfisted social commentaries. The show's casting of Jason Isaacs, best known for his roles as jerks and villains, leaves me worried that the writers intend to use him solely as a boogeyman for the lead to rail against.

I've already seen people speculating that the show will have its righteous minority female lead railing against the authority of the ships immoral white male captain. If the show comes even close to playing out like that it is going to make for some very ugly forum discussions in the near future.

The original series was quite the marvel of the 60's era civil rights story telling back in its day, featuring a diverse multi-ethnic cast where all stood as equals. Despite this I've seen quite a few people in recent years tear it apart for not conforming to the standards of the modern civil rights movement.

I'm worried that we are about to see modern activist culture rip apart the 60's civil rights movement for not being politically correct enough...
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    The essential problem is that Hollywood has fallen into the nepotism trap. People of immense talent built Hollywood, then passed it along to their kids who have lots of money but no creativity. They are unwilling to invest in a gamble because it might fail, thus costing a lot of money and, more importantly, making them look stupid. Because of Hollywood's fear of failure we have how many Batman remakes? There is a mass rush in Hollywood to be the second studio to cash in on something original. Why risk making a Babylon 5 that nobody understands when you can assure your advertisers with generic family sitcom #538? Really, how is Last Man Standing any different from Tool Time? We all know the easy path leads downhill, but Hollywood is headed there fast.

CBS doesn't have enough product to sustain a streaming service, and most subscribers will not invest $60/year to watch a dozen episodes of Star Trek when they can wait a year and get it free. Yet CBS has already sold the European rights to Netflix for a huge sum because Trekkies are known to buy anything branded with a lop-sided A. Why they do so is unknown, at least in Hollywood.

I am far more concerned that the failure of Discovery will both kill Trek for another generation and keep it out of the hands of small producers who are willing to risk failure to bring us what they believe is good Trek for another 50 years. As a kid I watched TOS and TAS because, as crappy as the production values were at times, they were trying to bring original, thought-provoking stories to TV. They were opening a window of optimism for a world stifling in pessimism.

I also watched Trek's dream of a better humanity wash away under the wave of producers and writers who never understood Trek. A great writer for Hill Street Blues may not be your best choice to write for any Trek, because the one must assume humans are always venal and corruptible while the other must assume humans to be evolving and perfectable. The ideas are mutually exclusive, so it's no wonder Hollywood writers failed again and again and then blamed the very audience they unknowingly betrayed for their failures.

They are in the position of the myopic sniper: they can't shoot what they can't see.
This discussion has been closed.