Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Thanks, @artan42.

I agree, it's a neat direction to go in. I like that you can also clearly see the Operations/Engineering logo in that pic. It fits.

I wonder if these will be Discovery-only uniforms? I think the DS9/VOY uniforms were considered "deep space" variants of the TNG-era uniforms. Maybe this is something similar...

I hadn't seen the symbol until now, but that's nice. It now means that blue has been used by all three departments; Command on the Kelvin, Science in TOS and TNG, and Engineering on DSC.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Some people think the other ship is the Shenzhou. If THAT is true...

Anyone want to bet we're getting a Discovery Lock Box sometime this year? :tongue: Cryptic must be licking their chops for this stuff...
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Since they have started production this month, it's very likely that we will see the show sometime in the fall.

I'm guessing sometime in late September to mid-October.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    If that other ship is the new Discovery I have to say I like it better but I also share @artan42 concerns, it feels like Trek designers (out of universe) kinda stopped designing new ships after the Akira came about, and I really don't like it that much. Further, I find it disappointing that we don't get more TOS designs in this time period. I'm a huge fan of retro designs and Star Wars does it so well, it should work with Trek the same way. And having completely new uniforms a decade before TOS is laughable once again, although to be fair it is Trek tradition and as such okay pig-3.gif Starfleet tailors must get seriously bored, so they design new standard issue gear for the entire Starfleet every few years pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    you mean like the real-world US military? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Good ol' TrekCore nabbed this GREAT screencap of the new uniform...

discovery-launch-trailer-jan2016-080.jpeg
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Hm... I think they are going to get a lot of flack for making a new uniform instead of using the canon ones for the time period. That being said, from what little we can see of the uniform it does look nice.

It is hard to make any judgements about a ships wireframe, but I have to admit something about that new ship design just doesn't quite click with me. I think it is mainly the nacelles... they just don't have the right look to them. The NX-01 and Constitution class share a clear design evolution on their nacelles. This new design looks a lot more like a transplanted 24th century design.
  • Options
    It's ten years prior to the Cage era. TNG went through 4 major changes and two minor changes between Encounter at Farpoint to Endgame.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    The new uniform there could be a dress uniform or a away team jacket though (it has a zipper). If I remember correctly, cage era had blue landing party jackets. That'd be a nice touch.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    Edit: The original design is still in the video so fingers crossed it stays. Gods forbid Star Trek try anything new for a change instead of the same Akira over and over again.

The Galaxy, Defiant and Intrepid class ships looked nothing like an Akira to me. Nor did the Prometheus, Ambassador...

It sort of made sense for the NX class to be a saucer with 2 nacelles IMO.

Why would any of those ships look like the Akira, they were all built after or around the same time.

I was complaining about the NX, the Franklin, the Intrepid Type, the Ares (from the fan film), and that little ship in the DSC teaser. At least the NX had the decency to have tubelike nacelles.

The new DSC ship wireframe looks more like the USS Coto from the Star Trek Legacy, a Miranda-esque NX then like an Akira. I am liking that ship more than the Discovery.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    that new "ship" is a mistake. the design prior to ToS Enterprise is Daedalus, the the primary hull is spherical, the secondary hull a cylinder and is SOME form of canon. whoever came up this THAT thing should be blown out an airlock
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    The Daedelus design is no more "canon" than the Discovery design, so...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »

Are you inferring that the Daedalus is not canon?

'Cuz it was in The Sisko's office for a good chunk of DS9.
  • Options
    that new "ship" is a mistake. the design prior to ToS Enterprise is Daedalus, the the primary hull is spherical, the secondary hull a cylinder and is SOME form of canon. whoever came up this THAT thing should be blown out an airlock

The Daedalus and Bonaventure do predate the TOS ships, but the Kelvin era ships (the Kelvin, Mayflower, Armstrong, and Newton) are their immediate predecessors.

Their features are unlike those of the TOS ships or the Discovery.
    latest?cb=20131004133246&path-prefix=en

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited February 2017
    The ship on Sisko's desk was never canonically identified as such, though. We have a mention of the Daedalus but it has never been shown or linked to any visuals. The convention to call this class Daedalus is behind the scenes material which has been accepted, but is technically not canon. So jonsills is right. Technically.

The Daedalus is like Caitians - never canonically established or verified but other sources and writer's intent made it "fanon".
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User

The Daedalus and Bonaventure do predate the TOS ships, but the Kelvin era ships (the Kelvin, Mayflower, Armstrong, and Newton) are their immediate predecessors.

seeing as how this ISN'T set in the abominably false jjverse, any ships from that can't be considered as canon in the prime universe. as I understand it, Daedalus is a direct predecessor to Constitution class. all you need do is look at both designs and see the, obvious, similarities. the ONly similarity to one is the primary hull, but that wasn't in use in the Discovery era
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Class names like species names are a convention. They're not canon but Daedalus is better than saying Essex Type (what the model is labelled) or Caitian instead of alien cat like M'Ress.

If the name's canon or not the USS Essex and its design is canon. Now we don't know how old it is as it's details are only tied in in the non-canon encyclopedia. It has spikes on the bussard collectors place it before WNMHGB.

Edit: Horizon not Essex.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The Daedalus is like Caitians - never canonically established or verified but other sources and writer's intent made it "fanon".
    "Word of god" is not the same as "fanon".....
    azrael605 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a "jjverse" and the only false Trek is Axanar.
    this is truth!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

seeing as how this ISN'T set in the abominably false jjverse, any ships from that can't be considered as canon in the prime universe. as I understand it, Daedalus is a direct predecessor to Constitution class. all you need do is look at both designs and see the, obvious, similarities. the ONly similarity to one is the primary hull, but that wasn't in use in the Discovery era

I don't know what a 'abominably false jjverse' is ad a search on Memory Alpha dosn't show anything, I don't even know who you're quoting as having said that.

Anyway, The Kelvin was built prior to 2233, quite a bit prior judging by the rusted interior (though it only took Voyager a year or so to get in a similar state in YoH) and related ships continued to be used up to 2258 (a decade prior to TOS). Unless the Daedalus was built in between the Kelvin era ships and the TOS Constitution then the Kelvin, Newton etc. are the direct predecessors of the Constitution.

I also never said the Daedalus doesn't look similar to the Constitution (though not really all that similar) but there's no information in canon as to where the USS Horizon fits into the timeline. Remember the Bonaventure, it looks almost identical to a Constitution but is apparently the first Federation ship with warp drive making it older than the Franklin (the Federation's first warp 4 ship) so predating the Kelvin as well.

From a stand point of canon, they both mean equally nothing. A fan who writes for the show's opinion is worth as much as a fan who dosn't unless the former puts that fanon into to an episode. Putting it into a book means as much as any other fan putting it on a website.
    We had a case in point where Bragga's own headcanon for who Future Guy was changed from Archer to a Future Romulan, to Daniels and back again, that was exactly as canon as the guy on this forum who thought it was Noye.

Technically there is absolutely nothing to tie the Daedalus Class USS Essex of 2167 (mentioned onscreen in Power Play) to the model of the USS Horizon seen on Sisko's desk in DS9 beyond non-canon encyclopedia text. Hence us having no actual date for the Horizon type's service.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Does the information that the Daedalus class (I am using it as well, I never said you can't say it, I just pointed out technically jonsills was right pig-3.gif ) was decomissioned in the 2190s come from external sources? I can't remember, but if we take it at least for apocryphal information due to lack of canon it can't be the Constitutions direct predecessor - plents of room for more ships to come between them since the Connie came something around 50 odd years later.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Does the information that the Daedalus class (I am using it as well, I never said you can't say it, I just pointed out technically jonsills was right pig-3.gif ) was decomissioned in the 2190s come from external sources? I can't remember, but if we take it at least for apocryphal information due to lack of canon it can't be the Constitutions direct predecessor - plents of room for more ships to come between them since the Connie came something around 50 odd years later.​​
    The MA page doesn't say when it was decommissioned. It says when it was last known to have been in use; 2196-ish.

EDIT: never mind it does say decommissioned at a different spot.
    From a stand point of canon, they both mean equally nothing. A fan who writes for the show's opinion is worth as much as a fan who dosn't unless the former puts that fanon into to an episode. Putting it into a book means as much as any other fan putting it on a website.
    ORLY? Can you point to where it says that in the officially published canon policy?

HINT: no you can't. Since there isn't a publically published policy, you're making it up.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    The MA page doesn't say when it was decommissioned. It says when it was last known to have been in use; 2196-ish.

ORLY? Can you point to where it says that in the officially published canon policy?

HINT: no you can't. Since there isn't a publically published policy, you're making it up.

You ignoring it doesn't mean it's not there and it will remain there until an new one is made no matter how much you sulk.

I don't know. I haven't seen the episode MA cites. I'll see if I can get it on Netflix as knowing MA the whole sentance will be cited to that episode an only 50% will be dialog and the other 50% from the non-canon encyclapedia.

#TASforSTO

• Options

You ignoring it doesn't mean it's not there and it will remain there
    Really? could you point at it? (Also I'm pretty sure the official policy did include "word-of-god" at some point)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I found it in the episode transcript: Power Play

"However, Commander Data is able to identify the distress call to be consistent with that of Daedalus-class starships, which, however, have not been in service for 172 years."

2368(year the Ent D found the beacon) - 172 = 2196

This phrasing suggests that 2196 was the year that the last known ship of this class ceased function, and that the class was probably being phased out considerably earlier.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

You ignoring it doesn't mean it's not there and it will remain there
    Really? could you point at it? (Also I'm pretty sure the official policy did include "word-of-god" at some point)

Nope. You're claiming it was replaced, you post the new one. We've all seen the current one.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Replace? I didn't say replace..... I said: "there isn't a publically published policy". Why have the CBS execs chosen to withhold it from us? I'm guessing they didn't write the policy to be used as a holy writ by people trying to win arguments on the internet.

Oh and before you repeat that excuse again..... was it CBS who said the old policy is to remain until a new one is published or was it Artan? I'm thinking not CBS, seeing as they literally erased the old one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Replace? I didn't say replace..... I said: "there isn't a publically published policy". Why have the CBS execs chosen to withhold it from us? I'm guessing they didn't write the policy to be used as a holy writ by people trying to win arguments on the internet.

Oh and before you repeat that excuse again..... was it CBS who said the old policy is to remain until a new one is published or was it Artan? I'm thinking not CBS, seeing as they literally erased the old one.

I'm really struggling to understand how you got to this sort of age and don't know how rules, laws, and policies work. Has it been retracted? Has it been replaced? No, then it's current.

There's nothing really more I can add, you know it exists, you know it's not been redacted, you will not prove it's been replaced, and you understand the words it uses. Now you want to claim ignorance over how policies in general work, perhaps to claim a case of special pleading over CBS' canon policy for whatever reason? That it works in a special, different way? Are you Alex Peters' lawyer or something?
    Does the information that the Daedalus class (I am using it as well, I never said you can't say it, I just pointed out technically jonsills was right pig-3.gif ) was decomissioned in the 2190s come from external sources? I can't remember, but if we take it at least for apocryphal information due to lack of canon it can't be the Constitutions direct predecessor - plents of room for more ships to come between them since the Connie came something around 50 odd years later.
    I found it in the episode transcript: Power Play

"However, Commander Data is able to identify the distress call to be consistent with that of Daedalus-class starships, which, however, have not been in service for 172 years."

2368(year the Ent D found the beacon) - 172 = 2196

This phrasing suggests that 2196 was the year that the last known ship of this class ceased function, and that the class was probably being phased out considerably earlier.

TatV was set in 2161 so the Daedalus was commissioned sometime between then and 2196. However as there's still nothing canon to tie the Daedalus to the USS Horizon, there's still nothing to say what the Daedalus looked like or how much it resembled the constitution. There's nothing to sudgest the two aren't the same ship as that style of ship (e.g. the Bonaventure) existed sometime after 2160s and the founding of the Federation.

It does sudgest the TOS era ships were a throwback to this era as they don't resemble their immediate predecessors at all.​​

#TASforSTO

This discussion has been closed.