What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Replace? I didn't say replace..... I said: "there isn't a publically published policy". Why have the CBS execs chosen to withhold it from us? I'm guessing they didn't write the policy to be used as a holy writ by people trying to win arguments on the internet.

Oh and before you repeat that excuse again..... was it CBS who said the old policy is to remain until a new one is published or was it Artan? I'm thinking not CBS, seeing as they literally erased the old one.
    Has it been retracted? Has it been replaced?
    Yes, yes, it has. Except that the new one isn't public. Therefore you don't know what it is.

I DO know how laws and policies work. IF an organization wants you to know what a policy is they make it publically available. If they choose to erase it from their website it usually means they have decided that it is no longer something they wish to be publically available. CBS has done the latter. It was NOT an accident that the policy was removed. Which means that the version they replaced WAS retracted, and replaced with a private version they use for their own internal purposes and don't share.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Yes, yes, it has. Except that the new one isn't public. Therefore you don't know what it is.

I expect you'll be providing your source on that any month now...
    I DO know how laws and policies work. IF an organization wants you to know what a policy is they make it publically available. If they choose to erase it from their website it usually means they have decided that it is no longer something they wish to be publically available. CBS has done the latter. It was NOT an accident that the policy was removed. Which means that the version they replaced WAS retracted, and replaced with a private version they use for their own internal purposes and don't share.

Removed is not retracted, the latter requires replacement or supersedence, or even just a statement to say that's what's happened. You have nothing at all to sudgest this was the case beyond assuming that your inability to see something means that it was replaced by a new one and as you can't see the new one then anything goes.
    You must have dreaded playing peek-a-boo as a child, every time the other person covered their face you had a existential crises until they miraculously regenerated. Either that or you took the opportunity of their non-existence for some anarchy.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    The canon statement was removed from Startrek.com in 2003. Latest official word on canon to my knowledge was made in 2007 by the head of CBS licensing, reinforcing the "old" policy. There is no reason to assume that has changed until a new statement is given in a official capacity. That would be reasonable even if the website removal would have happened following the interview, as long as no change is communicated you can safely assume old guidelines are still in place.

EDIT:

For what it's worth, Startrek.com designates the "Database" as "The official Star Trek canon" (I literally just learned that, see http://www.startrek.com/sitemap ). The Database encompasses all official TV and movie incarnations of the franchise (as was the canon policy all along). Under "Daedalus class" it says the model on Sisko's desk is supposed to be the Daedalus design which was the first design to use the characteristic primary and secondary hull with nacelle configuration. So for what it's worth, I think it is canon then. The Horizon is canonically only "possibly" a Daedalus-class vessel.​​
    Post edited by angrytarg on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The canon statement was removed from Startrek.com in 2003. Latest official word on canon to my knowledge was made in 2007 by the head of CBS licensing, reinforcing the "old" policy. There is no reason to assume that has changed until a new statement is given in a official capacity. That would be reasonable even if the website removal would have happened following the interview, as long as no change is communicated you can safely assume old guidelines are still in place.
    Here's the most recent statement I could find regarding the canon policy, but it's not exactly a comprehensive explanation of what the policy currently is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUSpl4ykqY
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Here's the most recent statement I could find regarding the canon policy, but it's not exactly a comprehensive explanation of what the policy currently is.
    (...)

The game is however not part of the Database as far as I can see, which is labeled "The official canon" and timestamped 2017. Maybe the game is in there, it's really a pain to navigate it, but at least under "Gorn" only TOS shows up.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    doesn't necessarily mean CBS' policy has changed, though - just that paramount gets to set its own canon rules for the film portion of star trek​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    doesn't necessarily mean CBS' policy has changed, though - just that paramount gets to set its own canon rules for the film portion of star trek

More likely that the person stating it in the video above just made a false claim. CBS owns the IP, Paramount is allowed to make movies but they don't govern over Star Trek canon.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    considering it was paramount's senior vice president who made the claim, i SERIOUSLY doubt it would've been made if not true, because someone of that import making a false claim like that would likely have pissed off CBS to the extreme and triggered a major lawsuit​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    He's also the games producer and maybe spoke more in that capacety or maybe ID was even written with the game in mind, it is however by any means we can check not canon according to cbs. I don't think massive lawsuits followed, when one of the movie producers says something short sighted about canon nobody complains either.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    ​​

I can't see why anybody would assume otherwise.
    For what it's worth, Startrek.com designates the "Database" as "The official Star Trek canon" (I literally just learned that, see http://www.startrek.com/sitemap ). The Database encompasses all official TV and movie incarnations of the franchise (as was the canon policy all along). Under "Daedalus class" it says the model on Sisko's desk is supposed to be the Daedalus design which was the first design to use the characteristic primary and secondary hull with nacelle configuration. So for what it's worth, I think it is canon then. The Horizon is canonically only "possibly" a Daedalus-class vessel.​​

This is the nightmare to navigate site that popped up in the conversation about the distance of El_Eluria from Earth in that it gave no source for its statement.
    The issue here is that it's not clear if the sit's supposed to be a database using canon information (i.e. what MA fails to do) or if what it states is canon.

For instance it's using material taken from non-canon sources that were overwritten by the shows themselves, the article on the Klingon cloaking device states it was traded for with the Romulans in the 2260s whereas we know from DS9 that the Klingons had them prior to TOS. Obviously DS9 overrules a book by what'shername (as per CVS' canon policy) so it seems more likely that the site is just somebody cutting MA articles down to sentence long snippets about things in an incomprehensible and unnavigable manner.

Though as the encyclopedia that references the Daedalus (where all the background information about its age comes from) seems not to be listed but some non-canon musings from the 60s seem to be it looks like a bit of a mess.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    It is a huge mess, navigating that thing is a nightmare. Still, it is "the official canon" signed 2017 by CBS. I think the least we can take away is that canon is made up of all series and films and whenever someone says "canon is mysterious and everything and nothing" this is quotable. However if the database is contradicting actual on screen appearance it gets messy.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    It is a huge mess, navigating that thing is a nightmare. Still, it is "the official canon" signed 2017 by CBS. I think the least we can take away is that canon is made up of all series and films and whenever someone says "canon is mysterious and everything and nothing" this is quotable. However if the database is contradicting actual on screen appearance it gets messy.
    Unless of course the Canon decides to omit VOY: "Threshold"; that's one I think we can all agree on.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    considering it was paramount's senior vice president who made the claim, i SERIOUSLY doubt it would've been made if not true, because someone of that import making a false claim like that would likely have pissed off CBS to the extreme and triggered a major lawsuit​​
    Start around 2:30... he mentions collaborating with CBS while explaining why the game is canon.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    yeah after watching it at least three times, He apparently got with someone at CBS about what he'd need to do to make the game canon before he even started making it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Too bad it isn't, regardless. I mean it is obviously not included in the database which seems to follow the old rules, so whatever "deal" he made there seemingly didn't work out.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I dunno. The database isn't exactly all-encompassing, so I don't consider it to represent the entirety of canon. It's not that I think it's wrong, just incomplete.

For example, behold the article on Vendorians: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/vendorians

It doesn't explain everything that Vendorians were seen to do on-screen.

The one for Deltans doesn't mention that they're telepaths: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/deltans

There's an article for Lyndsey Ballard, but not the Kobali race: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/ballard-ensign-lyndsay
    Post edited by markhawkman on
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I agree, the database doesn't cover it all. It's more a listing of elements from the shows and movies, really diving into the lore requires a bit more. However what we have is the overview that canon consists of the shows and movies and nothing else. Also it gives some details like the Klingon cloaking history - the technology deal during a brief alliance seems to be canon. It is bumpy but if it's written as official canon on a CBS site there is little point in debate.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    http://trekmovie.com/2017/02/21/exclusive-nick-meyer-says-he-hopes-discovery-helps-people-see-themselves/

My favorite quote from Meyer in this interview.

"I'm not a science fiction fan, I didn’t watch the show as a kid – I didn’t get it."

Sounds a lot like the son of his close friend, aka JJ Abrams.

That is... concerning.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    you don't need to be a fan of something to put out good content for it - see: wrath of khan

see also: the day after, mentioned in that very article

i'm sure he was no fan of nuclear holocaust​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Meyers might not be the most familiar with the franchises history, but he at least had a firm vision of its adventurous tone. His ideas might have leaned more towards the action adventure side of things than Gene did, but he understood the importance of pacing in establishing the mood. His action sequences tended towards being slower and more deliberate with each action carrying weight, rather than the modern style of non-stop action. Most modern action flicks never give the audience a chance to take a breath and appreciate the gravity of what is happening.

----

As for the dispute over what is canon... It really isn't a surprise that its all over the place. Ever since the beginning the standard practice for the franchise has been to make it up as they went with no regard to for world building or consistency. This was only further compounded by Roddenberry's attempts to retcon stuff like the Animated Series out of continuity when TNG started. Now we have a franchise whose creator has passed on and the rights are split between studios. There are just to many cooks in the kitchen right now...
  • Options
    hmmm that reminds me of something I was thinking about making a thread about....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Meyers might not be the most familiar with the franchises history, but he at least had a firm vision of its adventurous tone. His ideas might have leaned more towards the action adventure side of things than Gene did, but he understood the importance of pacing in establishing the mood. His action sequences tended towards being slower and more deliberate with each action carrying weight, rather than the modern style of non-stop action. Most modern action flicks never give the audience a chance to take a breath and appreciate the gravity of what is happening.

Good point.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options

#TASforSTO

• Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Really pleased with the choice of Jason Isaacs as the Captain of the Discovery, even if he won't be as much of a focal point as previous Captains have been. He's a great actor, and I look forward to seeing what he'll bring to the show.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    steaen wrote: »
    Really pleased with the choice of Jason Isaacs as the Captain of the Discovery, even if he won't be as much of a focal point as previous Captains have been. He's a great actor, and I look forward to seeing what he'll bring to the show.

They keep saying that, but that just makes me wonder what IS going going to be the main focal point.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Does anybody really care anymore?

The way things are going with the rumor mill even I, "Mr. Glass-Half-Full" don't think this is going to be "Star Trek" at this point.

The stuff being leaked looks awful.

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I don't care about the drama attached to the series.

But, I'm still intrigued.

I still think a lot of the unrest lies within the fan base itself, though... and I'm still not sure it's warranted to the degree I've seen it. Sure, even if it's just a visual reboot of what we "know" to be the mid-23rd century, I get why that may upset people. I also think that many won't give the show a chance because of that, which is sad to me.

Then again, I was for a full-on reboot even beyond what Abrams did in 2009, so... :smile:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    steaen wrote: »

Just realized that Lucius Malfoy is going to be a Starfleet Captain. Would certainly be interesting to have a protagonist Starfleet Captain not follow the heroic ideal that the other protagonist Starfleet Captains have consistently followed.
This discussion has been closed.