What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I hope its not between Enterpise and TOS, that's too far back in time.

Not at all... Romulan War... Birth/Expansion of the Federation... Actually one of the richest eras in Trek history to delve into If it's handled properly...
  • Options
    storobertpraetorstorobertpraetor Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I for one welcome our new 'Rejected concept Overlords'

The show runner also confirmed that this is set in the Prime Universe, and they have gone to some lengths to find something that both looks 'New' and practically 'canon'. As they did made studio models of that STPT ship and it appeared in Search of Spock and TNG. So its basically a refit of that design, which IS canon.

Smooth, sexy star trek ships have been done over and over and people got really tired of them. (Ugh JJprise) They wanted something different, and still fit into lore, they found the perfect ship. I agree its weird and offputting. Just like the Galaxy class looked to the Constitution, but its different and still very much Trek. So i'm willing to let this new ship grow on me, and i hope you all give it a chance...accept that Star Trek isn't just ONE thing and embrace change.
    sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    everyone talking about how "ugly" the Discovery is will warm up to it over time.​​

what is your malfunction? no, "everyone" is not going to change their mind. there is nothing wrong with not liking something.
  • Options
    dlmc85dlmc85 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I read someone noticed an IDIC symbol, i'm trying to see where
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Dont assume people will change their mind though just beause you may not agree with how they feel.

Have you ever used the internet before?​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    My first reaction:

tumblr_n79plfSNvS1sl21koo1_500.gif
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    [Edit] Just read the article further where it notes that it's based on a very old unused USS Enterprise concept... Interesting...
    Yep, I remember reading about the design in Starlog back in the '70s. Ralph McQuarrie also designed the Star Destroyers for George Lucas' little sci-fi flick - he was in demand back in the day because he wasn't as expensive as some artists.

IIRC, the Galaxy-class is also based on one of his designs; that and the vituperation directed at the Ent-D back in the day leave me confident that everyone talking about how "ugly" the Discovery is will warm up to it over time.​​
    I always loved McQuarrie's style and design work... I didn't know the Galaxy-class was based on his work too... Have to admit, I always loved the design of the Enterprise-D, right from Encounter at Farpoint (but then I know my tastes don't always align with those of others) and although I'm not exactly a huge fan of the aesthetics of this design, I do like the idea that they're looking to those past concepts for inspiration B)
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    embrace change.

I have no problem with "change". It's the details that are the issue.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Looks like the J to me, structurally.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    I will say this, Oh Heck NO! This is the worst looking ship I ever saw. I take the KU Connie over this! Of all the ships designs they come up with. This is the worst. Glad I'm not paying $ to see this show on their access.

Oh heck No is Right. WOW, that is one ugly ship. Just made my decision easier, IM OUT! If they show that much disregard for good design, the show itself will be a clusterfudge as well, with an awful crew. Its like a Starfleet Klingon designed that ship. Is this April fools or something? So they show is set inbetween Enterprise and TOS? LAME.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    The name of the ship and series don't bother me. But who wanted that ship designed needs their head examine! This makes the KU ship look good. What nut case wanted this ship.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Well, I'm glad to see the usual argument about purity has begun.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    The worst design ever! The one who wanted this one needs a head examine! They let loose a nut case on the ship choice.

• Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    I've actually always had a soft spot for this particular ship design. It's even canon as its own ship, in that we see it a handful of times as a background object here and there.

Frankly, I'm fine with it. Considering the look of it, and the registry number on it (1031, to be precise), what we're looking at is an incredibly early-era Starfleet ship and series.
    It looks rugged, prototypical, like Starfleet is starting to get a feel for what their ships will eventually become, but not quite there yet.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    The absolute worst Star Trek ship design I have ever seen.you could make a ship out of Legos and Linkin Logs that is more aesthetically pleasing.I hope that it is a joke,or set up to mislead us on what the real ship will actually look like.The more news I hear about this new series the worse that bad taste in my mouth gets.My lord just hire everyone involved with Axanar and make money with a project that truly gives Star trek fans genuine excitement.

Oh,I hereby rename this ship The U.S.S. Jar-Jar
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Oh heck No is Right. WOW, that is one ugly ship. Just made my decision easier, IM OUT! If they show that much disregard for good design, the show itself will be a clusterfudge as well, with an awful crew. Its like a Starfleet Klingon designed that ship. Is this April fools or something? So they show is set inbetween Enterprise and TOS? LAME.

I may try to watch the first episode or 2. But the ship alone is already a huge let down. To me seeing the ship in action is a big part of the show. To look good is a must have! I will see this show for free on the net or some other way. I'm not forking out $ for a TRIBBLE ship to see it on their access.

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    A Connie and a D7 had a baby! :D
    it's a homage to a design from one of the great sci fi artists of our lifetimes and it's both original and visually interesting. I'd take it over the JJprize in a heartbeat.​​

It's a saucer stuck to a triangle with cylinders hanging off of it. Even great artists can have an off day...
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Starship design to come to a Star Trek MMO near you... ;)

Honestly, the trailer rendering isn't the best quality. An STO version would likely be of higher quality, once the new production style has established itself. I always like McQuarrie's concept art. I'd likely buy this new class of starship from the C-Store. Just don't stick it in a Lockbox.

More on the original concept art. http://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-mcquarries-lost-concept-art-for-a-star-trek-movie-in-1976-1977/
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    sarreous wrote: »
    embrace change.

I have no problem with "change". It's the details that are the issue.

Change is always in the details. Even the JJverse trek sticks to much of the theme of star trek. (Ship, Crew, drama) There problem is they try to much: Ship, Crew, ACTION! and it doesn't feel right. Treks also tried: Space Station, crew, Drama, and gave up on that after a few seasons. So the change has to come somewhere or things start to seem like they are just endlessly repeating. The uniforms change, the ship changes, the enemies change... but the Ship, Crew, Drama format remains the same.

So the details are going to change, we can't fight it. Its new for a reason.
    Considering the tone of the music, and the potential time frame the show could take place in because of the ship's relatively low registry number, we may in fact be seeing a series taking place during the first Federation/Klingon War.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    bernatk wrote: »
    Wake up forum!
    The day we've been waiting for!

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/756974219322273792

The birth of the ugliest Trek ship ever?
  • Options
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Considering the tone of the music, and the potential time frame the show could take place in because of the ship's relatively low registry number, we may in fact be seeing a series taking place during the first Federation/Klingon War.

the registry puts it as early TOS... but the saucer has some of the same lines as TMP enterprise... and those boxy Nacelles... oh. So ignoring the big Triangle hull... the details we can source to canon for now leave us anywhere between early TOS and Undiscovered Country...
    I'm very very happy to learn that we will have at least one season of real Trek!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    It'll grow on you.​​

If I had this thing growing on me,I'd have it surgery removed

• Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    Its if a Klingon ship and a federation ship had a kid lol......
  • Options
    I can't wait for the T6 Discovery 3-pack hitting the C-store.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I still despise the Galaxy, it looks like Timmeh from South Park all bloated head and tiny body with vestigal limbs. The USS TIMMEH!

I like this new one though, it's a homage to a design from one of the great sci fi artists of our lifetimes and it's both original and visually interesting. I'd take it over the JJprize in a heartbeat.​​
    iconians wrote: »
    I can't wait for the T6 Discovery 3-pack hitting the C-store.​​

OOOO! One has a triangle, one has a hexagon and the 3rd has a rhombus hull!
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad to see the usual argument about purity has begun.

AToBoe7.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Can anyone work out what the number is, specifically how many digits? It starts 103, but beyond that... bit too dark. Might be able to determine rough time frames.
This discussion has been closed.