test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Star Trek TV series in the works from Alex Kurtzman

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    I currently only have Netflix and will base my subscribing to the show on the pilot
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    This is great news. I just hope that this new show will be set in the prime universe in post Nemesis era. And it would be also nice if the ship they'll be using would be Sovereign class B)
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    IMO CBS would be foolish to make this paygated, streaming-only. That's not the way to attract new viewership.
    Oh, I think it will attract quite a few people.

An interesting plus of their streaming service seems to be that they will offer it (almost?) world-wide at the same time. If they can manage that, they would have a notable leg-up compared to many other services, who often have regional different offerings due to licensing rights. That sucks in today's world, because people want to see stuff when it is first shown, not months or years later, especially if the online community has already started sharing reviews and dissecting shows. Of course, US Americans might not really be aware of these problems, because they are usually the ones that see stuff first anyway. But the US is just one market.

Of course, too many streaming services also suck, because you can't afford to subscribe to all of them, especially if you want to watch only one show in the service's portfolio.

But it's "only" a first-run exclusive, apparently, so the streaming service won't be a barrier to entry, just a delay.

I think this will be the future of "TV". Netflix has shown up the networks and a lot of them will start to mimic their way of doing things.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Yeah, I did. And unlike some people I think that they have problems but are NOT all bad. Oh, and I saw ST2009 with the live orchestra earlier this year. AND I just got confirmation I have tickets to Into Darkness with a live orchestra too, for next year. (Please please please please play "Ode to Harrison" and not just the movie...) STID has one of the two scores I consider contenders for best ever to grace the Star Trek franchise.

@gulberat
    Where did you see that? I've always wanted to see a film with an orchestra in the cinema but I'd need to see one with a fantastic score. I might have a look to see if anyone is doing ID in England.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    Oh, and I saw ST2009 with the live orchestra earlier this year.

I did this too. It was pretty awesome.

Each incarnation of Trek is an expression of its team. Each team is different. Looking forward to what they come up with.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    Yeah, I did. And unlike some people I think that they have problems but are NOT all bad. Oh, and I saw ST2009 with the live orchestra earlier this year. AND I just got confirmation I have tickets to Into Darkness with a live orchestra too, for next year. (Please please please please play "Ode to Harrison" and not just the movie...) STID has one of the two scores I consider contenders for best ever to grace the Star Trek franchise.

Where did you see that? I've always wanted to see a film with an orchestra in the cinema but I'd need to see one with a fantastic score. I might have a look to see if anyone is doing ID in England.​​

It's been playing in several US venues. Seems that each is a separate "tour," although the conductor of our local orchestra was the one to do it.

I tried the Star Trek Concerts site but they aren't up to date as the show we just got confirmation on from the local orchestra.

Our orchestra was incredibly nice...when they added STID to their schedule, the venue personally called everyone who attended the first concert because it was so successful, not just emailed. Right now the StarTrekConcerts site is only showing US and Canada dates. You may do better calling your local orchestra venues to see if they are going to do STID. That's the only reason I found out the new concert date had been added at our orchestra, because they reached out to my family (and all the others) themselves.

I can tell you ST2009 was great in concert as well, even though I consider STID's score to be better. At everything. :D;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Matt Bomer is an interesting choice.
    He's certainly got the "Kirk-Look" down pat.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Ok... why are people already bashing it before we even see anything?

Because I've seen what the EP can do with Star Trek and I'm unimpressed. They have a very talented cast for it and a rather clever idea to work with. The story writing, direction and execution were all pitiful IMO. So yes, based on that, I will remain skeptical.​​

Honestly though, we don't know how much of the last 2 movies were Kurtzman or what he wanted them to be vs what JJ wanted.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    IMO CBS would be foolish to make this paygated, streaming-only. That's not the way to attract new viewership.

Disney does the same thing with Star Wars: Rebels, but within a few hours it's available by "other" means.
    "Exclusive" doesn't really have the same technical meaning it did years ago thanks to other folks generosity.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    I'm soooooo excited about this!!!

Picarddancing.gif

HQroeLu.jpg

and yet that's what they're doing. They're banking on rabid fans paying subscriptions.

I already pay a subscription for TV: it's called "cable" (+ HBO for Game Of Thrones). I don't pay for netflix or hulu or amazon prime or anything like that.

I feel if they were truly confident about this series they'd add it to their regular prime time lineup. Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned.

In this day and age... there's no reason to pay for TV shows unless one is an extremely rabid fan.
    I'm a Trek fan, but I'm not planning to pay to see this show.
    I'll bet I still get to see it the week it comes out.
    B)
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    While I was utterly overjoyed when I heard this announcement on the local Talk Radio Station of all things, I have to say im a bit disappointed about the " CBS-Streaming" thing. $5.99 a month may not seem like a lot to them, however I have will need many questions answered before I decide to buy into it.
    Some of them are: Will I be able to watch on my " big" tv. I stream Netflix and Amazon Prime through my Xbox and 90% of shows are in GOOD HD so I'm happy with both of them. If this CBS version cant be watched through either Xbox, or Chromecast then I will likely not buy in because I don't want to watch TV on my Computer, or some 7" tablet thing.
    2) Will it have commercials? Almost EVERYTHING that is " free" on the VOD service through my cable company has commercials in it. Started about a year ago. They cant be fast forwarded,, and there are just as many as if I watched the show live. THATS STUPID! I will NOT pay 6$ a month to watch a show that has commercials! I pay for WAY to much for cable TV and it has WAY TO MANY commercials.. why would I pay MORE for the same darn thing!
    3) I'm not a huge fan of Kurtzman because he's been involved in writing some horrible movies, however I blame Orci for the horribility MORE the Kurtzman,, perhaps its the other way around but whatever. I would, however, not that Kurtzman is attached to PRODUCE, and they are looking for a writer. I personally think they should hire some of the writers that have done Star Trek Novels. Peter David is my favorite, but there are MANY MANY GREAT Trek novel authors out today. In all honesty they could have 7 seasons of shows just based on the novels. Imagine the " A time too..." Series on TV. The books take place between insurrection and Nemesis and are TNG crew based, however it would take much to tweak the stories for a fresh crew. Or the " NEW EARTH" series of books adapted for the screen would make a GREAT 9-10 episode arc.
    As with everything nowadays I will be cautiously optimistic about it until the day it finally arrives. I will go in with an open mind, not expecting TOO much, but not expecting to be disappointed either. I hope the heads at CBS know this may be the LAST chance they have to revive Trek on the small screen. Guess we wont know for 14 months or so...

from the press release:

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

Thanks for the info,, yes I was too lazy to look it up myself. With all this being said,, I will now be seriously considering buying into CBS All Access... at least I have 14 months to decide.

Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Disney does the same thing with Star Wars: Rebels, but within a few hours it's available by "other" means.
    "Exclusive" doesn't really have the same technical meaning it did years ago thanks to other folks generosity.
    Oh yes, there's always "a way". Depending how good this turns out to be will determine how much trouble I want to go through to watch it.

As I said, if CBS wants this to be a vehicle to bring new blood into the ST universe, it's short-sighted IMO. Many die-hard fans may sign off for their access plan, but the masses certainly won't.

screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,439 Arc User
    I'm kinda hoping they go to the period after ENTERPRISE.
    Would luv to see how the Romulan Wars play out.
    We already know how they play out. A long war, ending not long before TOS starts, during which nobody from Earth ever saw a Romulan. It concludes with the first treaty ever negotiated entirely via voice-only subspace communications.

That's what another poster meant by the writers' hands being tied in any prequel series. We're not allowed to do anything that blatantly contradicts canon in later series. (That's a big part of why, in ENT, they only showed the beginnings of an "Alliance" - the Federation has a given founding date of later than that.) Set it post-Nemesucks, though, and the sky is literally the limit.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,478 Community Moderator
    edited November 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    We already know how they play out. A long war, ending not long before TOS starts, during which nobody from Earth ever saw a Romulan. It concludes with the first treaty ever negotiated entirely via voice-only subspace communications.

That's what another poster meant by the writers' hands being tied in any prequel series. We're not allowed to do anything that blatantly contradicts canon in later series. (That's a big part of why, in ENT, they only showed the beginnings of an "Alliance" - the Federation has a given founding date of later than that.) Set it post-Nemesucks, though, and the sky is literally the limit.

I believe they had plans to do the Earth-Romulan War in Enterprise season 5, and hinted at it with the whole Drone Ship incident. But of course the show got canceled after S4 and no on screen War.

I also loved seeing how they developed the tech we were familiar with, and was waiting for Enterprise to get shield tech.
    This is another reason why I personally believe they might go with a JJ verse series. The timeline is totally different, so they can do just about anything they want really without being confined to prime universe canon.​​

I'm not so sure about it being an AR based series. That seems to be the realm for the movies right now and that would also mean getting Paramount involved. It might be a Prime Universe based series and, franky, even if it is in the middle of established timelies... who's to say it will involve any ships we know. I mean look at Voyager! That was a different ship with a different crew. Granted she was in the Delta Quadrant at the time, the events of Star Trek Voyager did take place at the same time as the Dominion War in Deep Space Nine. And again, I believe the first two seasons of DS9 ran concurrently with TNG, yet had no real impact on each other.

If it is post Nemesis... that would be interesting as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited November 2015

This is another reason why I personally believe they might go with a JJ verse series. The timeline is totally different, so they can do just about anything they want really without being confined to prime universe canon.​​

I might be reaching for straws with my guess, but you're really grasping for them.

Several articles have already stated that the JJ-Trek Universe WILL NOT be involved.
    As much as I get that that is something you would like to see, my crazy idea has a much better chance of happening.
    (maybe just a tiny bit more than a cold day in Hell...)
    B)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,439 Arc User
    I'm also not that worried about Kurtzman, on reflection - because while Gene Roddenberry was Executive Producer of TOS, it was another Gene, associate producer Gene L. Coon, who was largely responsible for a large part of Trek canon (the Klingons, the Organians and their "treaty", the Prime Directive, Khan Noonien Singh (named by Gene R., but created by Gene L.C.), the United Federation of Planets (as opposed to Gene R.'s initial "United Earth Space Fleet"), Starfleet Command as a concept and a name, the interactions between Spock and McCoy...). Coon also wrote several scripts, including "Devil In the Dark" and "A Taste of Armageddon", and provided polish on quite a lot of them (most notably "The Trouble With Tribbles").

So what I'll be keeping an eye on is who Kurtzman hires to help run the show.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

Maybe he'll hire Branon Braga? :-1:​​

You're a very "up" person, you know.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »

Maybe he'll hire Branon Braga? :-1:​​

You're a very "up" person, you know.

Thanks..., I snorted my drink with that one.
    B)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,478 Community Moderator
    And I just noticed that daveyny has gone to Voyager Minions.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited November 2015
    It's the show runner and writers that will determine the quality of the show.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    It will be interesting to see if/how the game changes to fit the new series though.

Or they could take from the game for a refreshed look for a modern series. They could start with STO 2400 era styling and details and their Enterprise could be a derivative of the Odyssey-class which CBS legally owns for their own use.

This wouldn't be surprising given that they're wanting to bring in a new crew and give it a modern take.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    At first I couldn't believe the news. Star Trek has not been relevant for a very long time, so I found it hard to believe they'd ever make a new Star Trek series after the fiasco of Enterprise (and Nemesis for that matter). In fact, the Enterprise pack giveaway just reminded me of just how much of a failure Enterprise was from both a Star Trek and a simple entertainment standpoint.

Why in the world would they ever take that kind of gamble again?

Then I read this:
    The show will premiere in January 2017 with a preview episode on CBS and then, in the U.S., move exclusively to the CBS video on-demand and streaming service, CBS All Access. It’ll be the first developed specifically for the CBS streaming service.

As many on the forums have said (and I tended to agree with them), that for a niche show like Star Trek... an online service like Netflix or Amazon Prime would be the most logical way to go. It makes sense that CBS is trying to break into the internet streaming service, and if they want to attract viewers, having a flagship show like Star Trek might be enough to entice subscribers.

It'll be interesting to see if it pays off, but 2017 is a long ways away. I look forward to seeing Star Trek again, no matter who is behind it or how bad it ends up being. Part of my love for Star Trek is a direct result of just how bad of a TV show it was.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    I was excited until I read this...
    Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series.

I think I'll have to pass on this one.​​

Me, as well! I was really hoping for Captain Ezri Dax of the USS Aventine! *disapointed*
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    As cynical as most people seem to be, I'm excited for this. I enjoyed the movies but couldn't get away from the apprehension that they were basically reheating what was original 30 years ago. This way? Hopefully things can move forward. It could do well; Doctor Who's 2005 relaunch after 18 years worked brilliantly, and it utterly destroyed the British TV industry's idea that SF was to avoid at all costs.

Frankly, I hope it's not too dark. We could use a bit of old-school heroism...
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    This show needs to pull a TNG and jump 100 or so years into the future. So if the last canon year shown was 2387, then that means the show should take place around 2487. Or maybe just round up and start it at 2500.
    edited November 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    And I just noticed that daveyny has gone to Voyager Minions.

I couldn't resist Minion 3.5 of 4.5
    B)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    I was excited until I read this...
    Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series.
    I think I'll have to pass on this one.​​
    Me, as well! I was really hoping for Captain Ezri Dax of the USS Aventine! *disapointed*
    I'd rather see them make a TV show based on the corps of Engineers books.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Much as I would love to see my Vesta onscreen, I did NOT like the whole "Captain Dax" development in the books (it felt very forced and Mary Sue-ish), so as far as I'm concerned I do not want to see that unless we are skipping ahead at least past Nemesis and she is JUST receiving her promotion...as in, a realistic timeframe given that no Dax host before her held starship command.

Yes, she is the beneficiary of a prior Starfleet career, but no Dax host that I ever heard about had management skills to that degree. Jadzia did lead a team, but was not anywhere near cross-trained enough or experienced enough for starship command...and let's add the difference between commanding a starbase and a starship into the mix.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    When i first found out about a new trek series

gif-happy-dance.gif

When i discovered the executive producer was alex kurtzman

giphy.gif

When i read where it will only be on CBSs' streaming network (or whatever the hell its called)

original_43227253.gif?1443446751

giphy.gif

Yeah uhm ty CBS but no thank you im gonna have to pass