test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Star Trek TV series in the works from Alex Kurtzman

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    There is now an official announcement at ST.com:

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

I doesn't really say anything about the series plot, but the very last sentence says:

"The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016."

I'm assuming that means it is NOT in the JJ-verse at all, since they said "not related".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    those involved in new trek are working on it.
    In other words it will be as trek as star trek online.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    There is now an official announcement at ST.com:

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

I doesn't really say anything about the series plot, but the very last sentence says:

"The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016."

I'm assuming that means it is NOT in the JJ-verse at all, since they said "not related".

Yeah it's going to be something brand new:
    The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I was excited until I read this...
    Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series.

I think I'll have to pass on this one.​​

^^ pass.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I wonder if Netflix will get it also?
    It has all the Trek TV series to stream. (including the animated one)

Not that it really matters I suppose, somebody, somewhere, will upload it to the net ASAP anyway.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited November 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    It has all the Trek series to stream.

I doubt it. It looks like CBS is developing it's own streaming service and this will be the first show for it. And since this is a CBS production I imagine this will be set in the prime universe.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited November 2015

I don't believe TOS is available on Netflix anymore.​​

Ummm... yep, it does.
    I'm in the middle of the second season for the umpteenth time.
    (and they are the HD versions with the new effects)
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!

All the series are still on Netflix but I imagine that won't be true for much longer.
    Your pain runs deep.
    I was excited until I read this...
    Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series.

I think I'll have to pass on this one.​​

See, I feel totally the opposite.
    I like all the shows he's producing for TV now-a-days...
    Hawaii 5-0, Scorpion, Sleepy Hollow, and the new one this season Limitless.
    B)

Ummm... yep, it does.
    I'm in the middle of the second season for the umpteenth time.
    (and they are the HD versions with the new effects)
    B)
    America has all the trek series on netflix however i know Uk has almost none.

0bzJyzP.gif

khan5000 wrote: »
    All the series are still on Netflix but I imagine that won't be true for much longer.

Odd. It didn't appear on my list anymore. TNG, DS9 and Voyager are still there. TOS was gone.

Anyway, watching reruns of those is preferable to anything Kurtzman will produce. As much as it pains me to say it, it's almost preferable to have Brannon Braga come back.​​

I'll give it a chance.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Netflix just recently started adding the HD version of the Next Gen episodes.
    They've had Trek for streaming since 2011 here in the USA.
    I suppose CBS could pull them, but I don't really think they will want to give up the revenue stream.
    Netflix is a very popular secondary-market money maker at the moment.
  • titansupremetitansupreme Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    7drHiqr.gifvKnuhCI.gif

2821j4m.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    A new show by the same geniuses that made Star Trek 2009 and ID which primary secondary purpose is to promote CBS new VOD platform?

What could possibly go wrong with that? pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    I suppose CBS could pull them, but I don't really think they will want to give up the revenue stream.

It looks like CBS is making their own streaming service. If they make it the go to place for all things Trek...they can replace that revenue stream with a much greater revenue stream.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited November 2015

It looks like CBS is making their own streaming service. If they make it the go to place for all things Trek...they can replace that revenue stream with a much greater revenue stream.

Yeah, that's a brilliant idea, everybody and their brother is creating a streaming service...
    The market is already getting over-saturated and I for one, am not willing to pay 20 different services to watch what I like.
    Besides, by the time this hits the airwaves it'll probably have been changed several times.
    Heh.. as I said above, as soon as it becomes available, it'll be on the internetz somewhere.

Yeah, that's a brilliant idea, everybody and their brother is creating a streaming service...
    The market is already getting over-saturated and I for one, am not willing to pay 20 different services to watch what I like.
    Besides, by the time this hits the airwaves it'll probably have been changed several times.
    Heh.. as I said above, as soon as it becomes available, it'll be on the internetz somewhere.

People used to say the same thing about TV networks. However CBS could be banking on the fact that their streaming service will be the only one that has Star Trek on it.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Ok, so now for a little plot speculation: this series almost certainly has to be after Nemesis. Why? Because anything before Nemesis would tie the hands of the writers, because they would have to stick to existing canon established in the previous TV shows/movies. After Nemesis gives them complete freedom to make new canon without contradicting anything. Also, it means there is a very good chance STO's storyline will be completely disregarded.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

People used to say the same thing about TV networks. However CBS could be banking on the fact that their streaming service will be the only one that has Star Trek on it.
    and from the trend ive seen anyone outside of the us can go TRIBBLE it.
    We already have this with things like the walking dead spin off where they will realise them in places like the uk but in order to get them you have to folk out some rediclous price.
    0bzJyzP.gif

edited November 2015
    I'm kinda hoping they go to the period after ENTERPRISE.
    Would luv to see how the Romulan Wars play out.
    Ok, so now for a little plot speculation: this series almost certainly has to be after Nemesis. Why? Because anything before Nemesis would tie the hands of the writers, because they would have to stick to existing canon established in the previous TV shows/movies. After Nemesis gives them complete freedom to make new canon without contradicting anything. Also, it means there is a very good chance STO's storyline will be completely disregarded.

this would be a fair assumption. Not sure why anyone thought STO was going to be canon.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited November 2015
    It will be interesting to see if/how the game changes to fit the new series though.
    It will be interesting to see if/how the game changes to fit the new series though.

hadn't thought about that...hmmmm
    Your pain runs deep.

I doubt it will change at all. For all anyone knows, this will take place in the JJ verse. "Not related to" could just mean it's not about the Enterprise and crew from JJ Trek, but still within that universe.​​

CBS is making this. As everyone here knows CBS doesn't have the rights to make anything "JJ-verse" related
    Your pain runs deep.

I doubt it will change at all. For all anyone knows, this will take place in the JJ verse. "Not related to" could just mean it's not about the Enterprise and crew from JJ Trek, but still within that universe.​​

Unlikely, considering this is a CBS series and the IP rights are split between CBS and Paramount. CBS only has the prime timeline, Paramount only has JJ-verse. When you combine that with the last sentence or that article, it almost certainly means this is NOT going to be in the JJ-verse, at all.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Recall Paramount's innovation of founding an entire television network (UPN) on the back of a new Star Trek television series (Voyager). Which worked out for them initially. With so many cable networks to choose from, UPN got lost in the shuffle and is no more. Hard to predict the future - or lack thereof - for CBS All-Access. I would expect all other Trek series to become exclusive to All-Access the closer to the new series we get.

That said, I'm curious as to what they have in mind? Too vague at this point to have any ideas. Though I'm pleased it won't be related to the Bad Robot series of films. That right there is a plus.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I would like them to move past Nemesis. A brand new ship, a brand new crew, new modern systems, weapons and environments never seen before in Star Trek. Whenever they try to go back in time they always mess it up. Like in Enterprise where almost every system from TNG era existed despite the story playing 200 years in the past. Replicators, transporters, phasers, photon torpedoes, holodecks, tractor beams, etc. It was basically TNG in old costumes.
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    It will fail, calling it now. Kurtzman reason 1, reason 2 all access for 5.99 a month sorry but I don't even watch tv, think im going to pay 5.99 a month to watch 1 episode a week? Think a lot of other people will? Have to consider how many already pay for cable and then expected to fork over 5.99 to see something on cbs web TRIBBLE..
    Also the information in the link is impressive, the original series ran 3 seasons in the span of 1 year..thats damn good..lets not forget it will be just in time for the 50th anniversary in 2017.....I think someone has math issues 1966 - 2017 is....51..

lets just accept the simple reality that until Disney gets their hands on this franchise...we will continue to suffer. For all its worth, Disney is doing their damned best to keep star wars running for the next decade and were getting like 1 movie a year, its taken how long just to get 3 more trek films out with no tv series ?
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

edited November 2015

But there comes a limit to how much folks are willing to pay.
    Cable company's are just starting to find out the hard way, that they have pushed the market's limit.
    Direct TV and such are cutting heavily into the Cable Co's profits with cheaper price offerings.
    The same will happen with all these individual streaming services.
    I LOVE Trek, but I'm not going to pay extra too see it, not when there are so many alternate ways that I am already paying for or cost me next to nothing.
    It'll be the UPN fiasco all over again.
    psiameese wrote: »
    Recall Paramount's innovation of founding an entire television network (UPN) on the back of a new Star Trek television series (Voyager). Which worked out for them initially. With so many cable networks to choose from, UPN got lost in the shuffle and is no more. Hard to predict the future - or lack thereof - for CBS All-Access. I would expect all other Trek series to become exclusive to All-Access the closer to the new series we get.

That said, I'm curious as to what they have in mind? Too vague at this point to have any ideas. Though I'm pleased it won't be related to the Bad Robot series of films. That right there is a plus.

UPN merged with the WB to form the CW.
    Your pain runs deep.