What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek TV series in the works from Alex Kurtzman

Comments

• Options
    hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    All I got out of this news is, I need to pony up an extra 5.99 to watch the New Star Trek Series. GaaaaWWwwDDddd lol
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    What do you mean "wait"? As in, not talk?

Where did I say no one could talk?

I'm ASKING you what you mean. You said "How about everyone wait for more information?​​", so, what does that mean? How do you define "wait"? Do you think people shouldn't be having this conversation, or what? Please explain your own words.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    All I got out of this news is, I need to pony up an extra 5.99 to watch the New Star Trek Series. GaaaaWWwwDDddd lol

^ THIS... Not So Much... (for me anyway)
    Just like Disney's "exclusive" Star Wars-REBEL'S show...
    I'll watch it through "other" means that don't involve the further shrinking of my bank account.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    hawkwing43 wrote: »

^ THIS... Not So Much... (for me anyway)
    Just like Disney's "exclusive" Star Wars-REBEL'S show...
    I'll watch it through "other" means that don't involve the further shrinking of my bank account.

I hear that, to me there isn't enough programing on CBS, that holds my attention. So if I did pay that 5.99 it's only going to Star Trek in my mind. lol
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I'm ASKING you what you mean. You said "How about everyone wait for more information?", so, what does that mean? How do you define "wait"? Do you think people shouldn't be having this conversation, or what? Please explain your own words.

It means wait until there is more official information on what the show is about, when/where it will take place, who the cast is etc. Until then feel free to discuss/speculate as you like.​​

while I agree with this I am fairly certain it will be in the prime universe
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm ASKING you what you mean. You said "How about everyone wait for more information?", so, what does that mean? How do you define "wait"? Do you think people shouldn't be having this conversation, or what? Please explain your own words.

It means wait until there is more official information on what the show is about, when/where it will take place, who the cast is etc. Until then feel free to discuss/speculate as you like.​​

You are contradicting yourself. When you tell someone to "wait", that means to hold off on doing *some thing*. You are both telling people to wait AND telling them to go ahead and speculate at the same time. It makes no sense.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

There's a good chance it'll be the Captain Worf series in the JJ-verse aboard the Enterprise with cameos of Riker and Troi, aboard the remodelled hexatruple-nacelle'd Universe-class ship. :p
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

There's a very, very good chance it'll be the Captain Worf series in the JJ-verse aboard the Enterprise with cameos of Riker and Troi, aboard the remodelled hexatruple-nacelle'd Universe-class ship.
    :p

Could be, but I would think they would promote that more by mentioning something about it. The article does say it will "introduce new characters". That's not to say there won't be cameos, however it does sound like they're starting with something of a clean slate.​​

I kind of hope its a new slate with new characters. The minute you try something different with established characters people get mad
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    Could be, but I would think they would promote that more by mentioning something about it. The article does say it will "introduce new characters". That's not to say there won't be cameos, however it does sound like they're starting with something of a clean slate.​​

Just kidding. Mashing-up both universes would be crazy. :p

Though, because Alex is on it, I'd lean more toward the idea they'd keep it in the JJ-verse, in the same Kirk-time. It's crazy to imagine, but they may be trying to re-build a Marvel Universe-like universe when Trek already had one. Oy.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    Alex Kurtzman = another nail in the Star Trek coffin.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    It might be closer to correct speculation to think that perhaps parts of the Animated Trek show that Kurtzman & Orci were proposing back in 2011-12, could somehow make their way into this new show.

http://trekmovie.com/category/new-animated-trek/
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    This is really ridiculous. We have cried out for a new tv show of Star Trek, and now when it is confirmed, you dizz it because Alex Kurtzman is attached?
    I'm just happy that the franchise is coming back. Star Trek was never meant for the big screen IMO, it is meant to give us stories once every week.
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    At least orci isn't involved. Yay.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    FYI, guys, the article on StarTrek.com says that the show will be available over the air on CBS, not just on their streaming service.
    apulse wrote: »
    This is really ridiculous. We have cried out for a new tv show of Star Trek, and now when it is confirmed, you dizz it because Alex Kurtzman is attached?

You did see the JJ Trek films, right?​​
    Yes, I did, and the first one was pretty good. The second one was worse, but Star Trek: Beyond still being sight unseen, I'm willing to chalk that up to a new permutation of the Trek movie curse: every other movie is bad. I've also watched several of Bad Robot's TV shows, and I very much enjoyed Person of Interest. Scorpion's characters turned me off but there wasn't anything seriously wrong with the writing.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    apulse wrote: »

You did see the JJ Trek films, right?​​

1) Not everyone has issues with the reboot films 2) Kurtzman is only EP'ing the series 3) The other series he is EP'ing "Hawaii 5 0", "Sleepy Hollow", "Scorpion" and "Limitless" have been doing well at the ratings.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I ignore all the doom prediction, naysaying, Kurtzman critique, speculations and all that and just predict that this will be the best thing since sliced bread and consider this a great birthday present from CBS.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Though, because Alex is on it, I'd lean more toward the idea they'd keep it in the JJ-verse, in the same Kirk-time. It's crazy to imagine, but they may be trying to re-build a Marvel Universe-like universe when Trek already had one. Oy.
    Who says I have anything to do with this?! Oh wait, wrong Alex.

I am, as usual, cautiously optimistic. Could be interesting. Anyone think this could be a response to Disney's revival of SW? It's the classic Sci-Fi feud, or maybe it's just a case of CBS seeing the revival of one successful sci-fi franchise and thinking "hey, maybe we can do that, too."

I do hope it's in the Prime Universe, or even yet another separate timeline. JJ-Trek doesn't quite do it for me.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Who says I have anything to do with this?! Oh wait, wrong Alex.

I am, as usual, cautiously optimistic. Could be interesting. Anyone think this could be a response to Disney's revival of SW? It's the classic Sci-Fi feud, or maybe it's just a case of CBS seeing the revival of one successful sci-fi franchise and thinking "hey, maybe we can do that, too."

I do hope it's in the Prime Universe, or even yet another separate timeline. JJ-Trek doesn't quite do it for me.

Uh, no, I did mean you. Get to work pls! :p
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Uh, no, I did mean you. Get to work pls! :p
    Noooooooooooooo I'm already struggling with my own project! And if I TRIBBLE up Trek, I'll never ever live it down! Heck, if I do it right a good chunk of the fandom will probably still hate me!
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I'm not paying $5.99/month to watch Star Trek no matter how long I've waited for a new series. If it's not on their regular broadcast channel I'm not interested. I pay enough for cable TV, air it on there or shove it.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Just saw the announcement. Not sure how it's going to go, but there is a list of 14 possible captains for the new ship. Out of the 14 I saw, I see one that definitely deserves to be in the chair: Gina Torres.

18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    My understanding is this:

1) the first episode will premier on cable TV.

2) each new episode will have it's first/premier release on CBS All Access, then be "replayed" later on cable TV.

Summary: if you want to see it first, you have to subscribe. If not, you can wait and see it later on cable TV.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg