Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek TV series in the works from Alex Kurtzman

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,407 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I just love the screenshot that shows up as the preview image - the news crawl at the bottom of the screen is an excellent touch. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lukem2409lukem2409 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    I'm just hoping that it's set some time not long after Nemesis, with the chance to see our old favourites get involved once in a while with our new ship and crew.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
  • Options
    lukem2409lukem2409 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Jonathan Frakes to direct some episodes too hopefully.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Oh and for the record the only reason we're getting a new show now instead of some time in the future when they would probably do a total reboot, is BECUASE of those movies you all hate.
    Wrong. Paramount is the company that benefited from the nuTrek movies. Other than JJ-verse related merchandise, CBS made nothing off the nuTrek movies.

Funny I seem to recall people showing an increased interest in the old stuff After the first new film.

Plus the whole
    Copyright 2009 Paramount Pictures. Star Trek and related marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios. All Rights Reserved
    Their Star Trek revenue comes from TV and associated merchandising, which for the most part has been basically stagnant since 2005.

And probably from Paramount everytime they say Kirk or Spock, or Starfleet or the Federation, everytime a Starfleet Delta is shown, and everytime a Trek race or villain shows up, becuase THEY OWN ALL OF IT.
    CBS is doing this because they want to make money off the IP, and the timing is to capitalize on the 50th Anniversary. They are hoping their new, nuTrek will sustain the streaming service they want to establish.

Which they wouldn't have been interested in if the new movies hadn't show it was still profitable, becuase Nemesis and Enterprise sure as hell didn't show that.
    Interesting article:
    How the Battle Over ‘Star Trek’ Rights Killed JJ Abrams’ Grand Ambitions
    The irony is Roddenberry was all about merchandising tie-ins, but compared to the Disney juggernaut he was a rank amateur.

Relevant TRIBBLE
    Paramount declined to comment for this article and a spokesperson for Bad Robot did not respond to a request to comment.

All they have is the word of some unnamed person that this isn't total bulls#$t.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I haven't followed this much further. It's too long off.

This is what the last rumour I heard is, but maybe it'S just misinterpreted from the intial reports and there are no news, or I myself misinterpreted the initial reports. All is possible:
    On a CBS exclusive US only streaming service. With advertisements.
    Okay, if that is really true, then CBS and the new Trek series will fail hard. While the whole word watches it via bittorrent or usenet or whatever dark places Internet has to offer, we can only hope that CBS realizes that this is now how you do things in the 21st century.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User

This is what the last rumour I heard is, but maybe it'S just misinterpreted from the intial reports and there are no news, or I myself misinterpreted the initial reports. All is possible:
    Okay, if that is really true, then CBS and the new Trek series will fail hard. While the whole word watches it via bittorrent or usenet or whatever dark places Internet has to offer, we can only hope that CBS realizes that this is now how you do things in the 21st century.

Yes and no
    It will stream in the US and other places where people can stream...where it can't stream it will be on TV (outside US).
    We don't know if it will have advertisements or not at this point but smart money i on no advertisements.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Yes and no
    It will stream in the US and other places where people can stream...where it can't stream it will be on TV (outside US).
    We don't know if it will have advertisements or not at this point but smart money i on no advertisements.

That would certainly make more sense. But confusion like this is ultimately why I haven't bothered following this further. It's too far off, and you don't know who just wrote what someone else wrote, but got something wrong when rewriting it, or if someone actually got some new juicy bit.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

Yes and no

That would certainly make more sense. But confusion like this is ultimately why I haven't bothered following this further. It's too far off, and you don't know who just wrote what someone else wrote, but got something wrong when rewriting it, or if someone actually got some new juicy bit.

That's why I only paid attention to the press release CBS put out. There was an interview with the head of CBS that said more info was coming soon
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    I wonder if Netflix will get it also?
    It has all the Trek TV series to stream. (including the animated one)

Not that it really matters I suppose, somebody, somewhere, will upload it to the net ASAP anyway.
    B)

Hulu still has Star Trek TOS though ENT. I'm watching it along side my X-Files reruns. I can't say anything about Netflix.

For us rabid Star Trek fans, the widest distribution the better. From what I have read, though, it seems that the new Star Trek will not be on CBS proper, but a CBS expansion channel that I don't think my cable company has. Online, it looks like it will be exclusive to CBS's own streaming service.

Alas, if I know anything about cooperate logic, and I do know a little, the next step for the company could be to think small, circle the wagons, and begin pulling CBS properties from other sites to prop up their own thing. If Netflix or Hulu have been your primary source of TV programming for years and you have a favorite CBS show, this would definitely be inconvenient.
    Post edited by javaman1969 on
    His methods have become unsound.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    IcOqh.jpg
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    I wonder if Netflix will get it also?
    It has all the Trek TV series to stream. (including the animated one)

Not that it really matters I suppose, somebody, somewhere, will upload it to the net ASAP anyway.
    B)

Hulu still has Star Trek TOS though ENT. I'm watching it along side my X-Files reruns. I can't say anything about Netflix.

For us rabid Star Trek fans, the widest distribution the better. From what I have read, though, it seems that the new Star Trek will not be on CBS proper, but a CBS expansion channel that I don't think my cable company has. Online, it looks like it will be exclusive to CBS's own streaming service.

Alas, if I know anything about cooperate logic, and I do know a little, the next step for the company could be to think small, circle the wagons, and begin pulling CBS properties from other sites to prop up their own thing. If Netflix or Hulu have been your primary source of TV programming for years and you have a favorite CBS show, this would definitely be inconvenient.

Smart money is that they pull it all and only have it on their service.
    Your pain runs deep.