test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do people hate the Kobali?

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As mentioned upthread, just because the PD has been violated, that does not justify further violations.

Yup...

Not when you are an officer, who's Prime Directive is to not interfere with the internal affairs or development lf alien cultures under Any Circumstances. On paper, the life of an officer, even the destruction of a ship, is considered sacrificeable if it would prevent a PD violation, and as an officer, it is an officer's duty to uphole that directive...

Awfully funny, then, how there's hardly ever any lasting consequences for throwing the PD clear out the window on ethical grounds. Seems Starfleet JAG prefers the Kirk interpretation.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't hate the Kobali. I simply feel indiferent to them - they're not a specie I found compelling.

Which is why I question the wisdom of the Aniversary ship having been a Kobali vessel. I simply don't give a damn about it, which tarnishes any exuberance I may have felt toward the anniversary. I just kind of feel obligated to get it to get the ship trait (which is not all that great, at that - I could skip and hardly feel bad about it).
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    But that, would still be interfering in the affairs of (two) other cultures by the impact such mediation would still cause... By remaining utterly neutral and doing nothing whatsoever, is the only way the Prime Directive can actually be satisfied in this instance... (but of course, that then isn't much of a story ;) )

Wrong. It's stated multiple times that the Prime Directive is void if the warp-capable species involved asks the Federation to interfere.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Awfully funny, then, how there's hardly ever any lasting consequences for throwing the PD clear out the window on ethical grounds. Seems Starfleet JAG prefers the Kirk interpretation.
    Plot Contrivances...

There would actually appear to be a couple of examples allowing PD violation in this situation...
    A material injustice involving a Federation citizen would occur absent the interference

Any officer who has been 're-born'...
    General Order 24. That order permitted a starship captain, in certain circumstances, to destroy the entire surface of an inhabited planet and thereby eradicate any societies living there.

The Kobali behaviour shows dishonesty, ergo, they cannot be trusted (other than to be dishonest) that opens the possibility of if they were to turn against Starfleet in the future, they would use Starfleet casualties to bolster their numbers, thus proving a threat to fhe Federation... Under General Order 24, a Captain would not only be permitted to bombard Kobali Prime, but possibly even morally obligated to do so in pre-emptive defence of the Federation...
    edited February 2015
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Wrong. It's stated multiple times that the Prime Directive is void if the warp-capable species involved asks the Federation to interfere.
    And yet Picard was able/forced to refuse to be involved in the Klingon Civil War, and the Federation clearly refused to be involved to end the Cardassian occupation of Bajor...
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Kobali behaviour shows dishonesty, ergo, they cannot be trusted (other than to be dishonest) that opens the possibility of if they were to turn against Starfleet in the future, they would use Starfleet casualties to bolster their numbers, thus proving a threat to fhe Federation... Under General Order 24, a Captain would not only be permitted to bombard Kobali Prime, but possibly even morally obligated to do so in pre-emptive defence of the Federation...

You have a very good point here; oh, man, it's a good thing I'm not writing Three for a while, because the psycho would probably just glass the place and call it good.

Just posted the first chapter of my Dust to Dust novelization, btw.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Plot Contrivances...

There would actually appear to be a couple of examples allowing PD violation in this situation...

Any officer who has been 're-born'...

Only if they had the ability to actually attack us, which they don't.

Kirk used it as a way to explain to the Eminians why they should stop trying to blow up his ship. The Kobali don't even HAVE the ability to present a threat on that scale.

As fro the Vaadwaur... we're at war with the Vaadwaur as-is, so GO24 is a moot point vs them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    And yet Picard was able/forced to refuse to be involved in the Klingon Civil War, and the Federation clearly refused to be involved to end the Cardassian occupation of Bajor...

The Prime Directive says that the Federation can intervene, not that they have to intervene. If the Federation Council doesn't feel it is the correct course of action (and the Klingon Civil War was an internal affair anyway), then they can decide not to intervene.
    edited February 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    You have a very good point here; oh, man, it's a good thing I'm not writing Three for a while, because the psycho would probably just glass the place and call it good.

Just posted the first chapter of my Dust to Dust novelization, btw.

The way I see it, adhering strictly to the Prime Directive either means being entirely neutral, and having nothing to do with the situation, or, if the violation can be justified (which I think the two cited examples both qualify) it wouldn't involve allying with the Kobali, but in the most extreme case (where I believe General Order 24 can indeed be justified) actively eradicating them...

I'll check it out :cool:
    edited February 2015
    ryan218 wrote: »
    The Prime Directive says that the Federation can intervene, not that they have to intervene. If the Federation Council doesn't feel it is the correct course of action (and the Klingon Civil War was an internal affair anyway), then they can decide not to intervene.

From Memory Alpha:
    (for example, interference in purely internal affairs by Starfleet was not permitted in the Klingon Civil War)

The does not read as latitude to me, but a prohibition of action...
    edited February 2015
    Only if they had the ability to actually attack us, which they don't.

Kirk used it as a way to explain to the Eminians why they should stop trying to blow up his ship. The Kobali don't even HAVE the ability to present a threat on that scale.

As fro the Vaadwaur... we're at war with the Vaadwaur as-is, so GO24 is a moot point vs them.
    Their practices have directly affected Federation citizens (Ensign Ballard), thus allowing for Starfleet intervention against the Kobali, not in aid of them.

That they don't have the ability to attack at present, does not mean they will not have the ability to attack in the future... Ensign Ballard attempted to escape the Kobali in a Kobali ship, therefore they are reasonably 'star-faring', so the potential capacity to be a technological threat exists. Add to that, the fact that they would use Starfleet casualties to boost their numbers... That is also a threat to the Federation...

The enermy of the enemy is not necessarily always a friend, and in this instwnce, could very much be if not outright considered an enemy, certainly more than capable of becoming one (possibly even inevitably so due to their dishonest behaviour)
  • alienworldsalienworlds Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have no respect for alien cultures that conflict with Federation ideals. I find the moral double-talk about relativistic ethics (that is, it being more absolutely ethical to not make absolute ethical judgments, which is a plain contradiction) to be disturbing and decadent and illogical.

Let's look at the clear facts: The entire Milky Way galaxy just sat around for eons, divided and warring, until humans entered the stage of history and in an incredibly short period of time forced by sheer cultural and military strength a new paradise on the Alpha Quadrant and beyond. This Federation is a reign of objective freedom and happiness for the vast majority of people, and the minorities that oppose it do so on the basis that the Federation disallows their mistreatment of others. In light of these facts, I find I do not have the moral qualms some of you harbor to the detriment and ultimate dissolution of the UFP. On the contrary, I have perfect moral clarity in this situation. The UFP is emphatically better, indeed the best society yet encountered. It has the vision, the righteousness, and the power, to rule well. For these reasons it has the right to rule and expand indefinitely. It is not the consent of any governed that legitimizes the state, which is a common misreading of Jefferson's Declaration and similar documents and constitutions. No one has the right to self-determination -- that would undo all authority, as all borders and law can be framed arbitrarily until none remain and anarchy ensues. It is the consent of a specifically defined rational and moral people that by their liberal and absolutely good values impart legitimacy upon their representative leaders. The Federation is still that.

Finally, the Kobali are master genetic manipulators for whom even death is not an obstacle, yet they cannot re-engineer sexual reproduction? Fishy doesn't even begin to describe such a discrepancy! Their culture is altogether evil and morbid and totalitarian. By ancient and malevolent design, Kobali cannot even reproduce without the powers and permission of their scientistic state, and they must rely, like parasites, on the naturally living species of the universe. Individual Kobali may be virtuous, but their society can in no way fit in a Federation based on natural laws rooted in biological fact. They need not go extinct for the above mentioned reason, and Section 31 should ferment social revolution among their youth to re-introduce sexual reproduction into their genome for the natural preservation of their race and art. However, their current dominant culture and ethos must ultimately be completely annihilated.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    All this discussion of the Prime Directive is pretty much irrelevant, isn't it? Federation Council has put Starfleet boots on the ground in the Kobali/Vaadwaur conflict. That is interference, clearly. So, whatever the theoretical position might be, the practical reality is that the Non-Interference Directive does not apply in this case.

So, since the Federation is intervening (as are the other Delta Alliance members, who don't even have this problem) - well, it has a duty to intervene in a manner consistent with its own laws and customs. Or, to put it simply; if the Kobali want our help, they can have it on our terms.

Which would mean Federation law and Federation principles about "informed consent" and so forth - darn well do apply, unless the Kobali want to go back to fighting the Vaadwaur on their own.

Even if some idiot diplomat actually did pledge the Federation's complete, unconditional, no-matter-what support to the Kobali - and, frankly, I don't see a Federation diplomat being that stupid - that agreement would be void anyway, because it was made without the Kobali informing us of several crucial details. In fact, every crucial detail.

The Kobali made this mess, all by themselves. If they want our help getting out of it, fine. But it should come on our terms.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    From Memory Alpha:

The does not read as latitude to me, but a prohibition of action...
    That's part of what I mean about the mutation of General Order One. Under this interpretation, since the Klingon Empire had laid claim to the Organian system, Kirk and Spock should never have even gone to the surface of Organia, much less become involved in trying to stop the Klingons there. Heck, by that strict an interpretation, foiling the Klingon plot against Sherman's Planet would have constituted a violation!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited February 2015
    Their practices have directly affected Federation citizens (Ensign Ballard), thus allowing for Starfleet intervention against the Kobali, not in aid of them.

That they don't have the ability to attack at present, does not mean they will not have the ability to attack in the future...
    By this reasoning, we should immediately begin carpet-bombing all non-Federation worlds, as one day a life form there, or arising there in the future, might develop the ability to attack us. We'd best destroy them now! And why stop there? What happens if one day the Vulcans turn from the path of Surak and become as warlike as the Romulans? We'd better eliminate that threat now, before anyone can get hurt!

You know, maybe we'd better wipe out all non-human life - even on Earth, because one day the monkeys or bears could evolve enough to threaten us. Some microbes already have! Why wait until it's too late? KILL THEM ALL!!!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    That's part of what I mean about the mutation of General Order One. Under this interpretation, since the Klingon Empire had laid claim to the Organian system, Kirk and Spock should never have even gone to the surface of Organia, much less become involved in trying to stop the Klingons there. Heck, by that strict an interpretation, foiling the Klingon plot against Sherman's Planet would have constituted a violation!
    Absolutely so, and as I mentioned, such instances are Plot Contrivances, as without them, there would be no story... I

Equally, as Shevet mentions above, the Federation has intervened...

I think the issue here is that the Plot has jot been fully thought out, as

By its own doctrine, the Federation should not have gotten involved, and should have either: a) Remained entirely neutral. b) Taken action against the Kobali government for the 'misuse' of Ensign Ballard's re-animated remains, or c) bombarded Kobali Prime under General Order 24 as a pre-emptive defence (even contemporary law has allowed someone to hit first when they consider themself to be in imminent danger of attack) against not only a potential, but almost inevitable, instance of the Kobali turning against Starfleet and the Federation and then using Starfleet corpses against Starfleet...
    edited February 2015
    By this reasoning, we should immediately begin carpet-bombing all non-Federation worlds, as one day a life form there, or arising there in the future, might develop the ability to attack us. We'd best destroy them now! And why stop there? What happens if one day the Vulcans turn from the path of Surak and become as warlike as the Romulans? We'd better eliminate that threat now, before anyone can get hurt!

You know, maybe we'd better wipe out all non-human life - even on Earth, because one day the monkeys or bears could evolve enough to threaten us. Some microbes already have! Why wait until it's too late? KILL THEM ALL!!!

Reductio ad absurdum does not address the point that the clearly duplicitious nature of the Kobali not only cannot be ignored, but also actively represents a threat-in-waiting, because simply nothing they say can be trusted...
    edited February 2015
    If nothing they say can be trusted, then don't trust anything they say. I don't.

However, we don't shoot people for lying. Committing genocide just because they're untrustworthy is the top of a slippery slope indeed.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited February 2015
    If nothing they say can be trusted, then don't trust anything they say. I don't.

However, we don't shoot people for lying. Committing genocide just because they're untrustworthy is the top of a slippery slope indeed.
    What about when those lies may conceal plans which would pose a threat to the Federation?

I admit, it's not a 'warm and fuzzy FeddieBear' outlook, but it's the kind of view Section 31 might take, and one which can be legitimised (or at least certainly better justified than acting in aid of the Kobali) via the existing citations of the Prime Directive and General Order 24...
    edited February 2015
    MDK, as much as I hate the Kobali, I don't believe any thinking species deserves to be wiped out. (No, not even the Borg; it's just that wiping out the Collective is the only practical, sustainable solution.) Neither do the Kobali present a clear and present danger to Federation security because, quite frankly, they're a single system polity against which Starfleet has the weight of numbers to send them back to the Stone Age with their eyes closed.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited February 2015
    MDK, as much as I hate the Kobali, I don't believe any thinking species deserves to be wiped out. (No, not even the Borg; it's just that wiping out the Collective is the only practical, sustainable solution.) Neither do the Kobali present a clear and present danger to Federation security because, quite frankly, they're a single system polity against which Starfleet has the weight of numbers to send them back to the Stone Age with their eyes closed.

At the moment...But in the future, as they aquire more bodies... As above, I believe Section 31 would say that that possibility exists, and consider that as justifiable reason to do so...
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm not in favour of wiping the Kobali out, either. I'm not even in favour of standing back and letting the Vaadwaur do it.... But, there is a lot of middle ground between "Kobali genocide" and "unconditional support for the Kobali no matter how much they lie to us", and the Federation should be looking for a position somewhere in that middle ground.
    8b6YIel.png?1
    edited February 2015
    At the moment...But in the future, as they aquire more bodies... As above, I believe Section 31 would say that that possibility exists, and consider that as justifiable reason to do so...

Perhaps. And perhaps there's a good reason Section 31 is not actually a legal part of the Federation command structure.

In any case, with the Vaadwaur Supremacy in civil upheaval, keeping the Kobali in line is perfect as a new purpose for the Delta Alliance. For instance, I'm sure the Benthans would have a laundry list of legal violations to justify a visit by the Guard if the Kobali keep up what they're doing.
    shevet wrote: »
    I'm not in favour of wiping the Kobali out, either. I'm not even in favour of standing back and letting the Vaadwaur do it.... But, there is a lot of middle ground between "Kobali genocide" and "unconditional support for the Kobali no matter how much they lie to us", and the Federation should be looking for a position somewhere in that middle ground.
    Exactly what I've been saying.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited February 2015

Personally, I'm of the opinion for complete neutrality, I'm simply highlighting that instances where the PD would easily allow involvement in the situation, leans more towards action against the Kobali, rather than any kind of diplomacy towards assistance...
    edited February 2015
    Perhaps. And perhaps there's a good reason Section 31 is not actually a legal part of the Federation command structure.

In any case, with the Vaadwaur Supremacy in civil upheaval, keeping the Kobali in line is perfect as a new purpose for the Delta Alliance. For instance, I'm sure the Benthans would have a laundry list of legal violations to justify a visit by the Guard if the Kobali keep up what they're doing.

Exactly what I've been saying.
    Section 31 may not be a formal or legal part of Starfleet, but they do act in the defence of the Federation (one of those "You can't handle the truth" scenarios) rather than simply on their own agenda, as say Terra Prime did...
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Might want to replay dust to dust, but the Kobali Have Benthans fighting alongside them on the ground, so either they are turing a blind eye, or they see no major problems with body snatching
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    adverbero wrote: »
    Might want to replay dust to dust, but the Kobali Have Benthans fighting alongside them on the ground, so either they are turing a blind eye, or they see no major problems with body snatching

Didn't see that bit, maybe those were MACOs?
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Didn't see that bit, maybe those were MACOs?

I'm almost certain one of the General's entourage is a benthan, not certain enough to put money on it mind , but pretty sure

( though its entirely possible he's under supervision i guess )
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015

That they don't have the ability to attack at present, does not mean they will not have the ability to attack in the future... Ensign Ballard attempted to escape the Kobali in a Kobali ship, therefore they are reasonably 'star-faring', so the potential capacity to be a technological threat exists. Add to that, the fact that they would use Starfleet casualties to boost their numbers... That is also a threat to the Federation...

The enermy of the enemy is not necessarily always a friend, and in this instwnce, could very much be if not outright considered an enemy, certainly more than capable of becoming one (possibly even inevitably so due to their dishonest behaviour)
    Uh, Aside from the Samsar, which isn't that scary.... they don't have squat. I believe the Pakleds are an adequate example of how being space faring does not equate to formidable.
    Well.... that'd be easier, if the Vaadwaur were more reasonable. But they aren't....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Uh, Aside from the Samsar, which isn't that scary.... they don't have squat. I believe the Pakleds are an adequate example of how being space faring does not equate to formidable.

Well.... that'd be easier, if the Vaadwaur were more reasonable. But they aren't....

The Pakled don't have the capacity to turn enemy combatants into reinforcements (and given the Kobali use brainwashing to make people accept their new status, it's not a big stretch of the imagination to believe they would use indoctrination techniques in their military as well...