yaaayy new dil sink

gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9052733

Looks like a nice new dil sink for us all yaaayyy
Post edited by gregkane on

Comments

• mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's Cryptic. Revamping stuff that is working just fine and making it worse in the process is what they do.

It would have been a trivial change to remove the issues with the current system regarding captain-trainable abilities and untradeable boffs by simply adding all the relevant abilities to the skill trainers. There was no need to monetise yet another part of the game.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, the dil aside its a nice revamp. Now you can train bound BOs with abilities not from your class. That is indeed something that should have happened a long time ago.
  • xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Doesn't look too bad to me. New system looks better than the old one. Won't need tons of different boffs any more for different builds.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    just wait to see what this does to the Loadout system . *grabs popcorn*
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Another example of let's fix what's not broken,while the list of game bugs gets bigger and bigger.
  • nikolaykuznetsovnikolaykuznetsov Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    At least we'll have a way to train Intelligence boff, it was impossible to transfer them to another captain for training.
    Max. One-Hit: 114,966 (Quantum Torpedo - Salvo II (Federation Typhoon Class Battleship))
  • eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    WTH?? Does enyone understood anything??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,461 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    If I'm interpreting it right, it means we won't have to get new kinds of BOffs for each new kind of hybrid station introduced.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I will wait and see it in action.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, we had something that was simple, worked fine, and required no Dil. Now we've got something needlessly complicated, we know will be bugged to hell, that does require Dilithium.
    Just stop Cryptic. Seriously. Stop.
    I've tried defending the game lately, but I think I'm over it at this point. The game is clearly moving in the wrong direction.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's not just a dil sink; materials and EC's are also required to craft the desired PADD's. IMO, having those skills be permanent is not an advantage to the player; currently, we can re-train any BOff for a modest amount of EC's. It won't be long at this rate before there will be nothing left in-game to buy with EC's, except for the wildly inflated Exchange... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Well, the dil aside its a nice revamp. Now you can train bound BOs with abilities not from your class. That is indeed something that should have happened a long time ago.

I'm cautiously optemistic about the upcoming changes. The added flexibility and the ability to sell/trade training manuals looks very nice although I'm still curious as to what they call a "small" dilithium cost to create the PADD components.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Another good idea, IN THEORY.

Whether or not it's turned into something ridiculously annoying/expensive/prohibitive remains to be seen. See also: gear upgrades.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It was about time something about Boff training was done. I'm a little unsure about skills that were previously only available on random Boffs, like Beam Overload 3 for example. How do we unlock those recipes... :):confused:
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You can be busy hating it. I'll be training my untradable BOFFs and gaining new Intel BOFFs.
  • ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm cautiously optemistic about the upcoming changes. The added flexibility and the ability to sell/trade training manuals looks very nice although I'm still curious as to what they call a "small" dilithium cost to create the PADD components.

It looks like the end result will be a nice QOL improvements. Being able to have a tac train the Ops Pack Engineering Intel Boff will be quite helpful. Being able to have fleeties finished with the specialization system give out the skills for the Rank III Intel Skills will also be appreciated.

What I'm concerned with isn't the dilithium cost (I can't imagine it being more than 500 per PADD); it's how this will key in with loadouts. The initial implementation will likely be....interesting.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    You can be busy hating it. I'll be training my untradable BOFFs and gaining new Intel BOFFs.

Exactly, I think it was high time to revamp the training feature. Finally I can use whatever Boff I want, regardless of my Captains career or whether the Boff is tradable or not. :)
    edited January 2015

Sure you will! You love cryptic and anything they do is fantastic for you. They can even delate your character and you will love it.

Now, to a normal person, when something that worked fine gets change to make more complicated and expensive, that is not fine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Quite easy, as i get it:

1.- Your officers will require a training manual to be trained in new abilities.
    2.- The existing abilities seems to be not deleted, but stored (hence you have access to all the abilities of its class)
    3.- Your trainable abilities can be sold in the exchange or changed between alts.
    4.- There is a small crafting component to be able to create a "token" for training, similar to de discount tokens of reputation..
    5.- There will be an UI for changing the Boffs abilities before combat or different missions, like the "traits" abilities in our captains.

Overall, i like it..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    huh? ... ...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It looks promising. I don't have to have untrainable and untradable boffs. I don't have to ask someone to train mine or ask them to hold them while I switch to an alt that can.

Realistically, I think this will work out better. I don't need every skill in the book. I need only the skills I use and I can get them without bugging friends, strangers, and my alts.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'll reserve judgment until I see the cost. It currently costs 300ec to train a boff. If it costs more after this change, its a bad thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was under the impression that BOFF's couldn't use those specialization talents if they weren't on a T6 ship. Is that not true? Does it matter what kind of ship they're on?
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    Sure you will! You love cryptic and anything they do is fantastic for you. They can even delate your character and you will love it.

Now, to a normal person, when something that worked fine gets change to make more complicated and expensive, that is not fine.
    To quote Geordi in Star Trek Generations: What's 'normal'?

No, it's ridiculous. You don't know how good you have it. Look over at Champions Online. Their 2014 "expansion" consisted of a small quest chain and a handful of new skills. Look again over at Perfect World International. Only a small handful of players reached maxed level after years of leveling, I'm not exaggerating. And you're attacking me for trying to give the STO team credit where it's due? Just because I have a different opinion than you? Or maybe it's because you feel too insecure about not having everything in the game any more...?

Just shove it up your TRIBBLE. I'm sick of all this BS.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't think they're revamping it *just* to monetize it. That implies that the system was okay before. It wasn't. Boff training sucked and seriously needed a revamp. The old crafting system sucked and seriously needed a revamp.
    edited January 2015

Some one how is not in love with a company.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    huh? ... ...

It's a trip...

It's not a forum announcement.
    It's not even in the Arc news page on the site.
    It's on the Launcher.

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    huh? ... ...

Cryptic wouldn't be cryptic without convoluted processes with a myriad of currencies.

No, it's ridiculous. You don't know how good you have it. Look over at Champions Online. Their 2014 "expansion" consisted of a small quest chain and a handful of new skills.

But look at was CO does not have: DR.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ive just 2 problems with the new training system....

1. it seems to be extremly complicated
    2. it costs dil where it used to be free before
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't think they're revamping it *just* to monetize it. That implies that the system was okay before. It wasn't. Boff training sucked and seriously needed a revamp. The old crafting system sucked and seriously needed a revamp.

i hope it doesn't cost more than it does right now to train a Boff at the boff trainer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!