test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

yaaayy new dil sink

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Same here. For the moment it doenst look much of an improvement since it still requires 20 specs points needed if I want to craft my Intel manuals. Ok, not to be picky, it is an improvement, since now you need 22 :P It will be interesting to see of we will be able to learn intel abilities to the unique boffs like the jem'hadar or the voth boffs.

But anyway, still I see this as an escuse to throw another "middle man" in here. This is how it looks: right now I can train my boffs for free, in my captain's profession. After the new update I have to spend resources to do that, whatever they are dil by crafting the manuals or ECs by purchasing them via exchange.

Yes but while you incur an additional cost there its only applied to the first training. Officers now gain abilities permanently, swap in whatever you like once trained. And this is coming at the heals of 1. getting access to abilities that you previously needed a willing friend/fleet member to train and 2. intel and upcoming specializations for all officers (answer, yes your jem and voth can play at being Bond). Its still a good deal.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    I don't expect it to work fine. Sure it will be bugged one way or another. I mean, that's cryptic right ?
    But yeah, otherwise it's very promising !

As for unique skill, perhaps they'll be added to the "craft" pool. I don't know.

However, do I smell new skills coming through gamblebox ? Like traits.
    Oh eww. As if Intel skills didn't already break the game.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • drliriodrlirio Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ok, let's see... those who say we can buy from Exchange..

Are the items currently on Exchange that require dilithium cheap? the crafted ones? I can train my officers for free or at a ridiculously cheap EC cost now.

So, stop trying to defend something that has no defense. It's another dilithium & EC sink and another grind that does not bring anything useful to the game. Stop fanboyism, please.

How long will it take Cryptic to put a new OP skill in a lockbox??? Do you want to pay 100M+ EC on Exchange for a boff skill? Or will you play the lottery box game?
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    this game doesnt need another way to spend dil. hell the current system for Training uses EC the only Dil cost is if your buying a Boff directly from the store . there should be one system in this game that has NO Dil cost . new low level players for one dont get dil easily , and this will make them building viable Boff loadouts for them almost a pain .

right now i can train for basically FREE any skill in my profession that ive unlocked that should not change at all .shouldnt cost Dil at all i dont care if its 5 dill or 500 dill. with EC i can purchase any skill and train cheaply . adding a dil amount will make the EC amounts on this Skyrocket . im sorry but NO
    there is a enough EC inflation and Dil sinks in this game at this point .

also what is this going to do to the LOADOUT SYSTEM. how about Fixing the systems that are BROKEN instead of adding more bells and whistles that in general the game doesnt really need.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    IB4TL
    You're the epitome of a yes-man fanboi, and you slam anybody that doesn't follow suit. THAT may explain why you aren't loved.
    Replace 'yes-man fanboi' with 'knee-jerk reactionary' (or something more insulting if you prefer) and you could use this post as your bio.

Of course, that applies to about 90% of the regular posters here. :(
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I read the dev blog, and loved alot of it. My 2 Zen...

Doesn't really take away social aspects, as other captains can still make manuals for you, so that's great.

I'm curious to see what they mean by permanent training etc...

The old system was in need of an overhaul - no argument at all.

I'm going to remain cautiously pessimistic on the dilithium costs though. Anything under 1000, I can maybe get behind. Even that is probably a little high for sub level-50 characters, considering the removal of content over the past 12 months that gave sub level-50 characters dilithium (Explore Strange..., Academy Event, etc). This content was not great, but now there is definitely a lack of low-level dilithium earning activities.

Crafting dilithium costs increased with S9.5. I've now crafted quite a bit, and spent more dilithium than I had on unreplicateable materials in the old system.

Upgrade dilithium costs are farily high for people who fly multiple loadouts, and I know you don't NEED to do them, but playing with Mk XI or XIIs at level 60 is painful. Very painful. Level progression should make people feel good - so upgrading equipment is an eventual goal for all, I'd think (this from someone who has only partially moved to Mk XIII so far - I move slow).

So - precedent is a "small" amount of dilithium is not necessarily small for everyone. Considering I can train Grav Well 3 for free now - I hope small means...small. Especially if costs are in the crafting system, and not on apply. Right now I help people train boffs for free. You'd have to be a pretty close friend to have me create a manual for you if it's going to cost alot.

If they drop the dilithium costs - or announced a lowish number (say a few hundred), I'll be on board with this 110%.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I wouldn't take any of it personally. Look at the bright side. You invite abuse. It would be impolite not to accept it. That makes you an ok person. :P
    I don't want to invite any abuse. ;_; I want to get along with everyone...
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Secondly, sure, the new BOFF training might only cost 100 dil. It might cost 100,000 dil. Nobody knows yet. Whatever the costs may be, was it really necessary to turn this into another monetized system? The game is moving very rapidly toward monetizing everything. Is that good for the long term health of the game? Maybe or maybe not.

Does that make more sense?
    It's a one time fee. Once unlocked, your boff will keep it FOREVER. So basically, you can unlock everything you want on your BOFF and be done with it. Then, you'll pick the one you like, just like the kit's abilities.
    And there are not so many interesting skill anyway. Do you really want to learn tachyon beam ? Yeah, right :)

Honestly, it's vastly different than the upgrade system. For example, it allow for a greater build diversity, as you can change anytime you want. The more you spend, the more liberty you have. And it's not random.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'll say it again - you aren't on Oprah. Nobody wants to hear about your personal issues. Take your blah-blah to the blah-blah-ologist and let the rest of us have a reasonable discussion about the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    I'll say it again - you aren't on Oprah. Nobody wants to hear about your personal issues. Take your blah-blah to the blah-blah-ologist and let the rest of us have a reasonable discussion about the game.

Yea, I agree with you.

The issue here is the dil sink, not the hurt feelins of a fanboy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • worgausworgaus Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There are plenty of legitimate changes to complain about in STO, but I don't see this as being one of them. Not yet anyway. Sure, I'm not thrilled with the resource sink, but when you've got special bound boffs like the liberated borg boff that can't be traded and you happen to want to train phaser turret III as tac or sci, under the current system you're SOL. Not only that, you will be able to train your current boffs in INT abilities.

So at worse I think it'll be a mix of good and bad, and at best it'll be a decent new system that addresses some old issues with boff training. I'm cautiously optimistic.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My take:
    To train a bridge officer with the new system, you simply need to obtain the Training Manual for the desired ability and have the needed Expertise Points required for training. Training a bridge officer in the new ability will consume the Training Manual in the process. Once trained, the bridge officer will now permanently have the new ability.

Good. This will eliminate the risk of trading valuable BOFF's back and forth for training and make it possible to train BOFFs that can't be traded. Also, eliminate having to re-train BOFF's over and over.
    In addition, bridge officers now will be able to train in any Specialization. This means that any Tactical, Engineering or Science bridge officer can be trained in Specializations such as Intelligence or any future releases! Not only that, but we have also exposed new ranks of some abilities that were previously unavailable.

Also good. Makes more sense than having specialized Intel officers and gives more customization options.
    As a bridge officer is trained in additional abilities the Expertise Points required to learn a new ability will increase.

If this follows the existing progression, more or less, no problem. If it's a cumulative effect that's going to drain massive amounts of Expertise, I don't like it. In that case, it would probably be better to have more BOFF's with fewer abilities.
    The primary method for obtaining Training Manuals is to purchase them from any of the current bridge officer training officers, who now will sell the manuals. Any ability that was previously trainable will have a Training Manual available for purchase.

I note that they do not say what the purchase price is. If these go for more or less the same EC cost as they are to buy them outright from the trainer, no big deal.
    Class specific (Tactical, Engineering, Science) recipes for manuals are unlocked by spending the necessary Skill Points within the player Skill Tree. This works identically to how the system currently functions, but players now will unlock the crafting recipe instead of the ability to directly train a bridge officer. Once the recipe is unlocked, players may begin crafting those Training Manuals.

All crafted manuals will require a PADD (Personal Access Display Device) which is a new crafting component. The cost of creating this component is several uncommon crafting materials and a small amount of Diltihium and Energy Credits. Once a PADD component is created players can use it to create their own manuals or they can be traded and sold to other players for assistance in creating manuals you might not have access to.

I don't like losing the ("free") ability to directly train BOFF's. And my acceptance of crafted manuals hinges very tightly on whether my definition of a small amount of Dil and EC matches up with their idea of what that means. Other than that, I don't much care how the training gets unlocked if it's simply a part of my normal progression of skills.
    Each additional Specialization that a bridge officer learns will cost an increased amount of Expertise Points.

Sounds expensive and potentially grindy. We'll see.
    To unlock the recipe for crafting a Specialization Manual players must have spent 10 skill points within the desired specialization. To unlock the additional higher ranking ability recipes, players must spend around 20 skill points within the desired specialization.

Sounds like about the same spec points for players to unlock kit modules, I think. Could be better, but if it's part of the normal progression I can probably live with it.
    Besides numerous interface improvements to the screen players will now be able to swap out individual bridge officer abilities directly on the Stations screen. This will allow players to quickly and easily customize their bridge officer abilities to the ship stations.

Other than likely messing around with loadouts, sounds like a nice feature. But I like to set my loadouts and not fuss with them a lot, so I probably wouldn't routinely swap out abilities on the fly anyhow.

All in all, aside from some enhancements to training that we've been begging for a long time, this has a strong whiff of the Exchange about it. There's both good and bad there. And I agree we didn't need another Dil sink.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015

This. But once more info is available and it's on Tribble to try, we can be more informed in talking about it.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The real question is, how much Dil/ECs are we talking?

News articles need to be less ambiguous and more accurate.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited January 2015
    drlirio wrote: »
    How long will it take Cryptic to put a new OP skill in a lockbox??? Do you want to pay 100M+ EC on Exchange for a boff skill? Or will you play the lottery box game?

To be fair - bet this Lockbox coming, or maybe the next.

Does it bother me too much? This aspect, no. I'm not in it for the top 10%, so I'll probably just...not have that skill.

That said, dil cost on creating these manuals better be real low, or that will bother me. I train peoples' boffs for free - just for asking, right now. If it's going to cost a fortune to make manuals, I won't be able to afford to do that for very long...

I can see why people WOULD be bothered about lockbox skills though - and that's fair too.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Huge?

Ten (10) actual story missions (one added a month after release)

You're ignoring the wrappers for that - and - how the patrols actually fit into the story going through that first time.

You're ignoring the sector missions that existed - neither patrols nor part of the episode replay system...but they were still there.

You're ignoring the story missions that take place on Kobali Prime.
    There's a reason LoR is considered by many a better expansion than DR - because with LoR we DID get a lot of story (and a well done revamp of the Fed and KDF tutorials

Sounds like you're lumping in stuff that came before and after LoR with what actually came with LoR. Sounds like you're also considering the shuffling of the level requirements for some missions around as if they were new missions instead of just shuffled. Sounds like you're treating missions that already existed but were made crossfaction as if they were new missions as well.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Past track record.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the new crafting and upgrade system...but their definition of small dil doesn't usually match up with the player base.

There is no playerbase. There are all sorts of players. They have different ideas on what things are - thus all the arguments. The R&D stuff lowered the costs, but players complained as if they'd been increased. You could actually get better stuff for less than what it cost to get the old stuff which wasn't as good. You've got the costs involved in upgrading - some folks are fine with them, some of them are having quintuplet cows. Different folks see things differently.
    - edited for content -

Cause uh...they're watching!
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Thread merge :(

Which I really wish didn't need to happen because the tone of one of those threads was far more combative than the other. So let's keep on topic, shall we, and refrain from sniping at each other in the process?
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    But that isn't realistic. Not everyone sees eye to eye on every issue, and some folk just aren't sociable. No point in getting all bent out of shape over it.
    Yeah, I suppose. I just don't understand. I want to be as open-minded as I can be. I want to be as best of a person as I can be. I just can't understand anyone thinking negatively about that.

Well the ball's in their court. I offered to make peace. If they still want to be like that, fine. I'm not at fault for that.
    edited January 2015
    The real question is, how much Dil/ECs are we talking?

News articles need to be less ambiguous and more accurate.

"Small" [with respect to dil] is pretty self explanatory. You may not be able to attach an exact number to it but its more than sufficient to inform a general expectation.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "Small" [with respect to dil] is pretty self explanatory. You may not be able to attach an exact number to it but its more than sufficient to inform a general expectation.

So what, in your personal opinion, does "small" mean in this context? Give me a rough figure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For one I can already tell with loadouts how they are so buggy and such this is going to become a nightmare I don't want to have to deal with. Even if I were to play again the amount of boffs I have accumulated I won't really need anything with the new system.

I take it though the content for 2015 is just going to be more revamps. We shall call this method pulling an abrahms. The anniversary will include phaser swords, storm trooper tellarite shock troops, and evil wormhole aliens who can instakill you in an empty queue.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Which I really wish didn't need to happen because the tone of one of those threads was far more combative than the other. So let's keep on topic, shall we, and refrain from sniping at each other in the process?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited January 2015
    So what, in your personal opinion, does "small" mean in this context? Give me a rough figure.

100-1,000 dil, with 200-500 being the most likely range IMO.

Happy? And keep in mind that this only applies to crafting. Don't want to pay that much? Go to the exchange (which I seriously doubt will present any barriers. After all, manuals only cost green mats to create. Think of how VR crafting components are priced now...and scale down.)
  • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The new Boff training system looks like it has the potential to be one of the better improvements to the games systems in recent times and well over due in my opinion as the current system is dreadful. I've lost track of the number of times I've had to retain skills for a new ship and lost rare skills (looking at you Beam Overload 3, Torp Spread 3 and Transfer Shield Strength 3) as well as making it easier to customise to suit missions or role so I'm optimistic that this new system has a lot of promise and should help to have a crew that feels like its a crew rather than just components with skills to be used (part of me likes to have my crew feel like they're part of my character rather than just being tools). I'm also intrigued about the hint of a skills revamp in the future which I guess based on some past discussions might look a bit like that used in specialisations.

At the same time I'm conscious as to the potential dilithium costs in light of the overall dilithium costs of the game so they need to be appropriately balanced so they're not overall expensive so until I can see the costs on tribble I'm reserving judgement, but I'd also observe that the model Cryptic are pushing with all the dilithium sinks is perhaps as much to try and keep people in game longer as they build up their characters rather than just trying to get people sink real cash into the game to progress quickly (although there's always people that want the new toy's yesterday and will consequently pay for it, but it also requires people to grind out the dilithium in the first place anyway).

Anyway I guess like all things some people will like and others hate this system, but I'm hoping it'll be one of the good additions to the game.
    edited January 2015
    My take:

...summary...

Other than likely messing around with loadouts, sounds like a nice feature. But I like to set my loadouts and not fuss with them a lot, so I probably wouldn't routinely swap out abilities on the fly anyhow.

All in all, aside from some enhancements to training that we've been begging for a long time, this has a strong whiff of the Exchange about it. There's both good and bad there. And I agree we didn't need another Dil sink.

^What Bluegeek said pretty sums up my views 100% (his whole post).
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OK I've got two things I am little hmmm about this. . .

A, how much EC and Dil .... Coz ATM its hard to get enough of each for casual players

B,, how long will it take coz spec points ATM are tied to XP which let's face it sucks
    JtaDmwW.png
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    -New specializations will be available to all officers. No longer do you have to settle on white intel officers from a select few species, or odd-ball variety officers from the exchange or missions. Just train up once you get the relevant item. You don't even have to kill and reincarnate a boff to make them the right type, and this will make the question of fitting in the next specializations a whole lot easier to deal with (ie. by making it a matter of training, not crew replacement.)

And thank god for that!! :D It was clear from the get-go that having each Specialization require a new type of Boff was going to be completely unsustainable and would anger a lot of players.
    nandospc wrote: »
    Quoting the news:

Now i'm asking you guys if i got it or not. This "permanent" means i will not able to train in that specific position another ability instead of the one i trained before or simply the boff will have a "portfolio" of abilities that i can re-claim and re-train each time i want out of the combat (i.e. in social zones)?
    This is an important clarification, ty in advance :)

ps: i dont know if this was asked before my post, so my apologies :o

It sounds to me like the Portfolio, except you don't even need to re-train-for-free; you just swap out the ability in a social zone (same as with reputation traits for example).

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited January 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZv5Z2Iz_s
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • ragnar0xragnar0x Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wow I expected retraining BOFF tokens for 300 zen. This is really disappointing.
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well this thread filled up fast.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • doghou5edoghou5e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't like the looks of this so far.

I'd like to know at what level of crafting each manual becomes available.

So at the moment as a tac I can train attack pattern omega 3 at the click of a button. Are the ranks of the abilities tied to unlocking at a specific level of crafting?

Or will it be more like I need to get to level ten to unlock the ability to craft PADDs?

So am I going to need to get to say tier 10 to unlock abilities I currently can train now without waiting months.

This sounds to me like a mish mash of traits and crafting to me and from what I see so far I'm not a fan.

It sounds like a bad idea to me, taking something simple and over complicating it for the sake of it.