test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gear Upgrade System

Comments

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    maxxina wrote: »
    Well, then you dont do 20 hours one every day.

July 17. Release of 9,5 . level 15 = 630 K XP . If you take 6 K per day = 105 Days. If you never critic.

But you do, so time required to reach level 15 is smaller .

Expansion is expected on October 14/15 . Almost 3 months. So most people if they were doing 20 hours one every day. Will reach like 1-2 weeks after.

Why you before christmas ?

And past level 10, it crits to 7K a lot.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Most doomers don't read, they just hate without even reading anything.

funny guy thx
    You can purchase Basic Tech Upgrades from vendors on Earth Spacedock and Qo’noS, but you’ll need to craft Improved or Superior Tech Upgrades, or purchase them from the exchange or from a friend with a high level of R&D skill

you would like to have the gears with the basic tech upgrade? i don't think so; me neither. this is just a joke; a basic upgrade lol.

so if i want über stuff, i must spend my time and dil for this R&D system.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    funny guy thx

you would like to have the gears with the basic tech upgrade? i don't think so; me neither. this is just a joke; a basic upgrade lol.

so if i want
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    funny guy thx

so if i want
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While its good that everything with a mark can be upgraded. This is just adding even more currency type systems into the game. Do you remember when dilithium was added because different tiers of marks was far too complicated? We're not just accruing tons of different currencies in various scattered systems, some of which will inevitable be abandoned and replaced with another collection of branched systems just to further gouge at the dust at the bottom of empty wallets. *sigh*
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    First this system is not tied in with the crafting system, only creating the items you need to actually upgrade which can be found and traded.

Also i have been running the R&D on one toon since the beginning and only using the daily mission wit h the exception of a couple of hours on the R&D weekend I am over Lvl13 and will be 15 before Delta Rises hits. I also haven't spent any dilithium to skip ahead. I don't have that kind of dilithium to spend on that and i don't mind just waiting.

One thing that hasn't been addressed that was mentioned a few times was universal consoles which don't fall into the categories of the R&D schools and the counter command tactical console is for Energy and Projectiles so i don't know where that falls into either.

I have a bunch of toons but only 2 with any real gear and I can get 16K dilithium a day with just them. There are so many ways to easily make a ton of dilithium even a terrible run in the Voth battle zone can net you 5000K dilithium in one run.
    edited September 2014
    While its good that everything with a mark can be upgraded. This is just adding even more currency type systems into the game. Do you remember when dilithium was added because different tiers of marks was far too complicated? We're not just accruing tons of different currencies in various scattered systems, some of which will inevitable be abandoned and replaced with another collection of branched systems just to further gouge at the dust at the bottom of empty wallets. *sigh*

Not sure how this is a new currency type. The items used in this system are inventory items, and they will be crafted so there's no real need to stockpile them like they were currency. You go and get one when you want or need one.
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 361 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    Here are some answers to some of those question marks that are floating over your heads!

* Upgrading Item Mark is Always Successful

When your item gains enough Tech Points to upgrade to a higher Mark, this operation always succeeds. Your Mark 12 Breen shield will become a Mark 13 Breen shield with no failure chance. It's only when your item reaches maximum Mark and you are trying to improve its quality (color) that there is a chance that the upgrade won't succeed -- but even then, you keep your quality improvement chance and add to it for the next upgrade, and eventually you will reach a 100% chance of quality improvement.

* Item mods are not re-rolled

Your item's mods don't change as part of the upgrade, so if you like the mods on your Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3, you won't lose them. You just have a chance to get a new, extra mod. You might turn your array into a Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x4, or Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3 [Dmg], or Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3 [CrtH].
    For most items, if you get a new mod, it is randomly selected. Set reputation gear does not get a random modifier; instead, the mod gained is always the same for a specific item. When you upgrade a MACO deflector to ultra-rare (ultraviolet) quality, for instance, it will always get one specific mod. That way you never have to worry about a random mod and having to grind out another piece of expensive rep gear and then upgrading it again -- once it improves in quality, you know that you have gained the one upgraded version.

* Epic (Gold) items have special bonus mods

The bonus mod for an item at Epic (Gold) quality is a unique special mod that doesn't otherwise appear, generally more powerful than other mods. These are:
    Space Shield: [Cp/Rg] Combined capacity/regen boost
    Space Impulse Engine: [Drv2] Overcharged driver coil, double coil bonus
    Space Deflector: [SS/SI] Interlaced integrity, structural integrity/shield systems combined bonus
    Space Weapon: [Ac/Dm]: Bonus accuracy/damage combo
    Ground Shield: [Cap2] Double capacity bonus
    Ground Armor: [ResAll/HP] Bonus HP and bonus resist all damage
    Ground Weapon: [Dm/CrH] Bonus damage and critical chance combo

* Your item can't accidentally out-level you

If you aren't a max level captain, you can't upgrade an item past the Mark that you can currently use. You don't need to worry about accidentally making a good piece of gear unusable.

* Making Tech Upgrades doesn't cost crafters dilithium

Tech Upgrades do not require dilithium to make; the dilithium cost is on use. This means that crafters don't have to worry about spending their dilithium to make Tech Upgrades for their friends and fleet, or for sale on the Exchange.

* Set Gear

As part of the upgrade system implementation, we've made set bonuses Mark-independent. This means that you can have Jem'Hadar shields Mk 10, deflector Mk 11, engines Mk 12, and still get the three-piece set bonus.

* Levelless items
    Many pieces of levelless gear will stop receiving bonuses at level 50. After this, you can upgrade the item and it will gain a Mark, and will then improve after this. This will allow your levelless gear to actually keep up with your other gear, since Mk 12 gear is actually above level 50 and Mk 14 is even better than that.

* Special Mission Rewards
    Almost everything you can get should be upgradeable. As noted in the blog, you can upgrade Breen set gear, caustic plasma beams, Hargh'peng torpedoes -- if you're on Tribble and you find something that you can't upgrade, post on the Tribble forum.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Will fleets have access to Mark XIV gear anytime soon? Wanted to buy a science console but figure I should save my fleet cred
    It looks like all gear will be upgradeable, but it also follows that gear that already exists isn't gonna get auto upgraded to MkXIV.
    caasicam wrote: »
    Looks really neat, and I'm glad to finally be able to upgrade items as we see fit. Really helps for those of us that use and/or enjoy some of the "low end-game" mission reward gear. Mk XIV Numiri Regenerative shield wooo.

That being said, will items such as Lobi consoles and weapons (which are technically level-scaling) and unique ship weapons (such as the Phaser/Disruptor/Plasma Quad Cannons, the Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons, and the Regent-class' Wide-Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher) be able to be upgraded as well?

Aren't a lot of those lobi items being switched from level scaling to mark 12 now?

That said I haven't heard anything about the C-Store ship gear being treated the same way. I hope they speak on this.

EDIT: Damned if I didn't get ninja'd by a dev. Jheinig going by the spirit of the post I'm assuming that C-Store gear will also be upgradeable which is great. Thank you.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    Here are some answers to some of those question marks that are floating over your heads!

Thanks for clearing those points up.... But...

What about set bonuses when upgrading to different marks and qualities?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited September 2014
    "

While adding tech upgrades, you’ll also add research points, which can give the item a quality improvement. There’s a small chance that your item will go to the next better quality: from common to uncommon, uncommon to rare, or rare to very rare. You can even reach ultra-rare (ultraviolet) or epic (gold) quality with upgrades, even on gear that normally doesn’t come in that quality! "

so like the crafting (which is not crafting ) the upgrade system is also gambling .
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    It looks like all gear will be upgradeable, but it also follows that gear that already exists isn't gonna get auto upgraded to MkXIV.

Aren't a lot of those lobi items being switched from level scaling to mark 12 now?

That said I haven't heard anything about the C-Store ship gear being treated the same way. I hope they speak on this.

well fleet gear on tribble is gold quality now, so are universal consoles

id guess they arent affected by the lobi nerfhammer
    edited September 2014
    "

While adding tech upgrades, you’ll also add research points, which can give the item a quality improvement. There’s a small chance that your item will go to the next better quality: from common to uncommon, uncommon to rare, or rare to very rare. You can even reach ultra-rare (ultraviolet) or epic (gold) quality with upgrades, even on gear that normally doesn’t come in that quality! "

so like the crafting (which is not crafting ) the upgrade system is also gambling .

what part of "your gear willl increase mark at a set number and has a chance of increasing rarity do you not understand>
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    [...]stuff...

what
    about
    my
    proton gun?

QQ

and the crm200, and levelless lobi gear etc etc :(
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
    edited September 2014
    well fleet gear on tribble is gold quality now, so are universal consoles

id guess they arent affected by the lobi nerfhammer

Fleet gear isn't Gold. At least not yet.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited September 2014
    what part of "your gear willl increase mark at a set number and has a chance of increasing rarity do you not understand>

so you dont like school thus you cant read?

quote again ...maybe someone will read it for you:

"There’s a small chance that ...."

chance is not gamblig.

how is that all people that can't read quote me?I understand that this game is 12+ but at 12 you should be able to read.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Your item's mods don't change as part of the upgrade, so if you like the mods on your Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3, you won't lose them. You just have a chance to get a new, extra mod. You might turn your array into a Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x4, or Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3 [Dmg], or Phaser Beam Array [Acc]x3 [CrtH].

What about binding?

If I upgrade my bound weapon from "[Acc]x3" to "[Acc]x3 [Dmg]", it will be an useless mod to me, and it will be a wasted upgrade: wasted dil on the upgrade and wasted cost on acquiring the weapon itself. Is there a chance that binding can be removed upon upgrading so I can sell the weapon if it's not the mod I am looking for?

Better yet, can we get rid of random mods and be able to choose which mod we want?
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

edited September 2014
    so you dont like school thus you cant read?

quote again ...maybe someone will read it for you:

"There’s a small chance that ...."

chance is not gamblig.

how is that all people that can't read quote me?I understand that this game is 12+ but at 12 you should be able to read.

"Each time you apply a Tech Upgrade, your item gains tech points. When the item earns enough tech points, it is eligible to upgrade. The number of tech points required to upgrade varies by the type of item, the quality of the item, and the Mark of the item. For example, a green Mark 4 ground weapon and a blue Mark 11 space shield will require different numbers of tech points before they are eligible to upgrade."
    edited September 2014

* Upgrading Item Mark is Always Successful

When your item gains enough Tech Points to upgrade to a higher Mark, this operation always succeeds. Your Mark 12 Breen shield will become a Mark 13 Breen shield with no failure chance. It's only when your item reaches maximum Mark and you are trying to improve its quality (color) that there is a chance that the upgrade won't succeed -- but even then, you keep your quality improvement chance and add to it for the next upgrade, and eventually you will reach a 100% chance of quality improvement.

For most items, if you get a new mod, it is randomly selected. Set reputation gear does not get a random modifier; instead, the mod gained is always the same for a specific item. When you upgrade a MACO deflector to ultra-rare (ultraviolet) quality, for instance, it will always get one specific mod. That way you never have to worry about a random mod and having to grind out another piece of expensive rep gear and then upgrading it again -- once it improves in quality, you know that you have gained the one upgraded version.

* Epic (Gold) items have special bonus mods

The bonus mod for an item at Epic (Gold) quality is a unique special mod that doesn't otherwise appear, generally more powerful than other mods. These are:
    Space Shield: [Cp/Rg] Combined capacity/regen boost
    Space Impulse Engine: [Drv2] Overcharged driver coil, double coil bonus
    Space Deflector: [SS/SI] Interlaced integrity, structural integrity/shield systems combined bonus
    Space Weapon: [Ac/Dm]: Bonus accuracy/damage combo
    Ground Shield: [Cap2] Double capacity bonus
    Ground Armor: [ResAll/HP] Bonus HP and bonus resist all damage
    Ground Weapon: [Dm/CrH] Bonus damage and critical chance combo

* Your item can't accidentally out-level you

If you aren't a max level captain, you can't upgrade an item past the Mark that you can currently use. You don't need to worry about accidentally making a good piece of gear unusable.

* Making Tech Upgrades doesn't cost crafters dilithium

Tech Upgrades do not require dilithium to make; the dilithium cost is on use. This means that crafters don't have to worry about spending their dilithium to make Tech Upgrades for their friends and fleet, or for sale on the Exchange.

Thanks for the answer.

So in the case of the Breen set, does the 3 piece bonus improve? (It's Energy Siphon 1 copied and tied to the set with a 2 min CD)

I bring this one up because usually higher tier=better bonus.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here are some answers to some of those question marks that are floating over your heads! *trim*

What about warp cores, given their rather unique arrangement of levels and modifiers?
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm wondering...

Can unbound equipment be upgraded and traded?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Can Mk-Infinity stuff or ship-special equipment (quad cannons, Regent's wide-angle torpedo) be upgraded?

To.... Infinity +1 or Infinity and Beyond?
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the main issue is the sometimes stupid amount of Dil you need for things if you want it within a month *COUGH*Crafting*COUGH* rather than the small daily refine limit which is countered by having more characters (and also a fleet mine, that gives and extra 1000 for those who want to trek out there).

Reputations take 50 days without the boost, 25 without, and give you about 480 dil a day (not including dil gotten alongside the marks) while crafting gives you nothing, takes forever (Been going since S9.5 introduced the new crafting, and still haven't hit Lvl13 without spending 2 char's daily worth of refined dil to boost it slightly). So, in short, Reps give you dil and let you double their progress once you hit max, Crafting takes much longer, doesn't allow for a double xp once you hit max (not that I know off), doesn't give anything, but can be bumped up fast if you have stupid amounts of Dil (At least 1,150,000).
    All of these intense reputations, fleet holdings, and crafting systems beat the purpose of playing video games. I am still stumped. Why are we leveling these systems? Will we win the game at the end? I don't get the overall purpose to the endgame mechanics. Can someone enlighten me?
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    edited September 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    All of these intense reputation, fleet holdings, and crafting systems beat the purpose of playing video games. I am still stumped. Why are we leveling these systems? Will we win the game at the end? I don't get the overall purpose to the endgame mechanics.

The same as every game like this. The purpose is not winning, it's having fun. If you play Animal Crossing, you never win, you just collect stuff and have fun.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »

Tribble hasn't been updated yet, but I expect it to hit soon.
  • aramyllaramyll Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Will consoles be made upgradable at some point? or will you change the cd timers on them via the upgrade system. I am a little tired of having the lotus on the veteran ship be on a 5min cd lol.

I know that this isnt for this here but i wanted to ask, will t5 ship consoles be usable on t6 ships?? or can they be upgraded to be usable on other ships ?
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hahaha cant wait for my elite-gold-epic mk XIV accx6 dmgx6 weapons :P:P:P
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    oh really? i never bought MK XII gear with assurance it would remain endgame, now cryptic is offering me a path to make that gear better

Did you READ the question I asked? Because I was asking if the upgrade system was the ONLY way to get MkXIV gear (if I mcan also buy it and/or it also drops, fime, then they AREN'T double dipping and following in tthe footsteps of other MMO models (which is fine.)

But, if the ONLY way to get MkXIV is to BUY a MkXII Fleet or other item and then have to use the Upgrade system to get what you just bought to MkXIV <--- That IS double-dipping on the playerbase.

TLDR: aGo back and re-read what I asked. As you obviously didn't bother to read the question fully.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The same as every game like this. The purpose is not winning, it's having fun. If you play Animal Crossing, you never win, you just collect stuff and have fun.
    ...but, you spend money and wait for timegates?
    But, if the ONLY way to get MkXIV is to BUY a MkXII Fleet or other item and then have to use the Upgrade system to get what you just bought to MkXIV <--- That IS double-dipping on the playerbase.
    I think Cryptic needs to go back to school to study 'business ethics'. I think they have been crossing the ethics line for far too long.