test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Item Destruction - the feature the game desperately needs.

Comments

• mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    oh pish posh, what a pile of male bovine excrement.......i want zen i plunk down $$$$$
    i want dil i put zen up on the dil exchange, so what if the price fluctuates. if it goes up just grind more harder

*****peace*****

Hail Ba'al

p.s. i'm still waiting for my Ba'al minion perks
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't follow.

I don't know how long you've been with STO, but near around the Season 7 / LoR Releases, when demand for dil was at an all time high, the price of zen dropped to about 80 dil/zen.

The sinks responsible for this are now filled up.

In the time since, the dil cost of zen has doubled, an unfortunate development that hurts every single person that exchanges dil for zen.

The solution is of course to increase demand for dil, which is accomplished by sinks.

My proposal is an effective sink, and therefore will increase the demand for dil and thus lower the dil cost of zen, a good outcome for everyone.

Alright then. In that case how is it that you don't get the very idea you are suggesting will in fact do the very opposite to what you want.

The very reason that the exchange is as high as it is now (though frankly I've seen it much higher) is because dil is in such high demand. What you are proposing will just make it skyrocket.

I'm completely convinced you have no clue what you are talking about.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If the OP wants a 10% chance of items being destroyed, then go get a 10-sided die and choose a number. If it lands on that number then delete a random item off your ships inventory, everytime you are killed.

The rest of us will play on as usual. :P
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If the OP wants a 10% chance of items being destroyed, then go get a 10-sided die and choose a number. If it lands on that number then delete a random item off your ships inventory, everytime you are killed.

The rest of us will play on as usual. :P

Self imposed punishment is the best kind... Especially when it's a silly idea.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A lot of people have mentioned this before...

The feature of "item destruction" has never made it's way into STO.

I certainly hope it never does.

On the other hand, I'm sure everyone would be fine with it if the whole losing items thing were OPTIONAL, with each player choosing for themselves if they want it on, without affecting other players in say, STFs. Or if the items could be reclaimed for free from some kind of npc. Better yet; both.

After all, what'd be wrong with having the CHOICE of a losing items feature?
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Destroying peoples gear WOULD BE THE REWARD.

How is that a reward?
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2014
    admiralnat wrote: »
    A lot of people have mentioned this before...

The feature of "item destruction" has never made it's way into STO.

I certainly hope it never does.

On the other hand, I'm sure everyone would be fine with it if the whole losing items thing were OPTIONAL, with each player choosing for themselves if they want it on, without affecting others in say, STFs. Or if the items could be reclaimed for free from some kind of npc. Better yet; both.

After all, what'd be wrong with having the CHOICE of a losing items feature?

They/he/she already has... Do what azurianstar suggests...
    How is that a reward?

It isn't... It's epeen stroking for the people who are turned on by feeling superior.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My proposal is an effective sink, and therefore will increase the demand for dil and thus lower the dil cost of zen, a good outcome for everyone.

Except for those selling Zen for Dilithium.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How is that a reward?

See "griefing." Once that idea is understood, "how is that a reward" becomes as obvious as how bad this idea is.
    edited August 2014
    See "griefing." Once that idea is understood, "how is that a reward" becomes as obvious as how bad this idea is.

I refer to my reply...
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I refer to my reply...

I reject your reply, and substitute my own. :P
  • landdonlanddon Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If Cryptic or PWE wanted to find away to get rid of customers this would be a great idea. Because it would surely leave. It's just a It's epeen stroking for the people who are turned on by feeling superior and desire to cause grief. Which is why in almost every game I have participated in PVPer tend to ruin the game especially for those of us that desire PVE.

A cost to repair damage I'm okay with as long as the cost doesn't exceed 75% of the item. If your ship is destroyed it becomes unavailable for use for no more than a day I'm okay. The OP idea is not terrible, it is horrible.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You seriously misapprehend how much this would benefit PvP.

Destroying peoples gear WOULD BE THE REWARD.

There's absolutely no benefit for PvP. It would result in everyone just playing a heal tank + losing a lot of players cuz they don't wanna risk their gear. If you wanna kill PvP, yeah that's the way...

btw, PvPing just to damage other players thats just...rude, unfair and antisocial! PvP is all about e-sports, competition and learning. It's not about beeing destructive!
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What sto needs most of all is for stakes to be added. When your ship explodes, there should be say a 10% chance that one of your items is destroyed. Items that could be reclaimed for free like prize ship and c store consoles should be excluded from this.

What I mean is, if your ship blows up, you should have a 10% chance of losing at random one of your weapons, consoles, engine, deflector, etc.

This loss should be permanent and require purchasing a new one from fleet or rep stores.

I also think that in PvP the chance of an item being destroyed on death should be much higher, as high as 30%.

PvP is obnoxiously boring in STO because there are no stakes at all involved.

Stakes make games compelling and immersive because they increase by a large factor the excitement of playing.

Since the game sorely needs new dil sinks, this would also help with dil inflation by forcing people who failed in combat to purchase new dil-cost items.

Sure, I will send you the bills.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Are you insane?

No, do not answer that. I know the answer already.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You need a dil sink? Go ask some of the small fleets out there - I bet they can help you with your problem. And there are many small fleets out there. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Can we just say "no way" and move on here?

Because there's no way they're going to do that.

The Devs have always shown a strong aversion to taking away something that they gave out. This idea would be the biggest take-away they ever did.

Now, I could see an item damage mechanic that eventually results in destruction. If they had been doing that all along and the game was built around that principle. Minecraft does it and to all indications people think Minecraft is fun.

But a random chance of your stuff being instantly destroyed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc0TwV0ihvk#t=60
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In the time since, the dil cost of zen has doubled, an unfortunate development that hurts every single person that exchanges dil for zen.

Here's the thing: nobody cares about the needs of those people. Practically nobody wants zen except for the idiots who open lockboxes all day. Otherwise a player might make a one-off purchase for a Vesta pack or an Avenger. But after a certain point for every single player, Zen becomes worthless except for lockbox keys, and the smart people buy them off the exchange anyway and let some other poor TRIBBLE throw down his hard earned dollars.

Have you noticed how much refined dilithium is available on the exchange right now? The top five offers to purchase Zen at this point are backed by 100 million units of dilithium. A great deal of that dilitihum will be put up by speculators wanting to buy low and sell high. The rest will be the ones who take whatever buy or sell offer they can get, funnelling dilithium or Zen into the speculators' wallets.

What people want most in this game is dilithium for fleet projects, for reputation projects and now for crafting. People don't give a hoot in hell for Zen beyond the one-off special purchase.

If you want zen faster, pay real cash. If you don't want to pay real cash then you gotta pay market prices. You gotta grind. You gotta shut up and take it. That's the way the system works right now. Sorry.

And people certainly don't give a hoot in hell about making pvp have consequences except for the epeeners like you who want to be rewarded for being able to decloak - alphastrike - mash the right buttons faster than the other guy.

How do I know that pvp is your only reason for making this thread? If you wanted more dilithium sinks, you could easily argue for shrinking the daily refining cap to 4000 which would have the same effect. Dilithium would be worth much more. But you're not advocating a much smarter measure for making Zen cheaper, now are you? That wouldn't satisfy your desire to make your pvp opponents whine and cry and act butthurt every time you win. Right now, they must be like "whatever, I didn't lose anything". How terrible that must be for you. No tears to feast upon.

If you want that kind of pvp, gb2EvE.
  • elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't like the idea of permanet damage to your ship's components as to much wrok goes into grinding for them. That kind of permanet death penalty tends to drive away player bases.

Instead what about using our exisiting PVE death penalty in PVP combat. During combat you have a chance to take damage to systems which could flash accross your screen before fading into your active tab. White and Yellow damages (minor and moderate damages) could be repaired by the crew, even in battle conditions, but Red, serious damage would require either components from the ships stores out of combat, or return to a Spacedock repair yard.

If you put enough damage onto a ship it could even perhaps disable it, leading to a Boarding PVP fight, on the boarded player's bridge, or the player could choose to take a death, and self destruct his ship, finally leading to self destruct actually doing something in game...

There I took your terrible Idea and did somehting with it... ;)
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In before the lock...

No no no no no no no no and again, NO.

Out before the lock...
    I need a beer.

• ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    Great Idea -

PvP players experience 'near death' during combat. PvP players experience an aggregate % chance to receive critical damage to a component each time they are destroyed. The % chance increases each time you fight HOBO in a team event.

Consoles or items receive 3 types of damage:

1.) Offline, repairable by spending dilithium at 25% of the items value.
    2.) Ganked, repairable by spending 50% of the items value in dilithium and associated marks.
    3.) Tea Partied, not repairable, but permanently bonded to it's slot. Buy a new ship.

This would totally make PvP more enjoyable for those of us who do not play.
  • johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I remember this idea being brought up in Prioirty One Episode 166 and in episode 167 the idea was thoroughly rejected in the comments segment.
    Headlong into mystery
    edited August 2014
    I struggle to understand the opposition to this.

Many of us have noticed this, and I suspect I'm not the only one who isn't surprised.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is the opposite of truth. There are not many small fleets out that that consume dil. If there were, there wouldn't be dil inflation because demand for dil would not have dropped.

The real world cant be the way it is, and what you say also be true at the same time.

The game cries out for dil sinks, the price of zen is too high.

There are many small fleets out there in desperate need of dil. That is truth, that is fact. If your "theories" are saying something different, then either they are built on faulty information.... or the theories themselves are bollocks.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I struggle to understand the opposition to this.

Of course you do. To understand the opposition one would need to know what is really going on in the game and have the ability to perceive things.
  • ravancheravanche Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Having read through this thoroughly, the practical upshot of this is that it would utterly destroy PvP save for a tiny, select group of PvPers with already-maxed gear. Those without would always lose, and have their equipment destroyed. Those that always win would suffer nothing, and continue to dominate. Thus people would stop PvPing casually.

If this is intended to remove those casual PvPers, and only leave just the tiny fraction of the playerbase that are "l33t Pro Gamers" standing, PvP will effectively be dead as it will be the same ten to twenty people fighting.

That, or people will only PvP with standard, cheap, white gear on their ships so they take no loses, relying solely on their skill to win. Perhaps that is the subtle goal the poster is aiming for: removal of the gear disparity so they can beat people they feel they are more skilled than, but lack the equipment to defeat.
  • k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The game cries out for dil sinks, the price of zen is too high.

As long as you don't have a clue how the high zen price is formed you better don't post anymore! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What sto needs most of all is for stakes to be added. When your ship explodes, there should be say a 10% chance that one of your items is destroyed. Items that could be reclaimed for free like prize ship and c store consoles should be excluded from this.

What I mean is, if your ship blows up, you should have a 10% chance of losing at random one of your weapons, consoles, engine, deflector, etc.

This loss should be permanent and require purchasing a new one from fleet or rep stores.

I also think that in PvP the chance of an item being destroyed on death should be much higher, as high as 30%.

PvP is obnoxiously boring in STO because there are no stakes at all involved.

Stakes make games compelling and immersive because they increase by a large factor the excitement of playing.

Since the game sorely needs new dil sinks, this would also help with dil inflation by forcing people who failed in combat to purchase new dil-cost items.

STO definitely has kid gloves on when it comes to penalties for dying. This specific proposal is obviously absurdly harsh and will never happen but that's still true. I wouldn't be averse to seeing more consistent and stiffer repair costs.
  • nachtfangennachtfangen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What sto needs most of all is for stakes to be added

Destroyed - no. Not with the TRIBBLE poor anemic economic development in this pay-to-win game.

BUT - crafting should consume items. DIL needs to be completely removed from crafting, and the 'finish now' paygate needs to go the fk to hll.

But, to craft a tier 4 item should require a tier 2 or 3 item, and so on up through tier XIV. The rarity and tier of the subordinate item should have some bearing on the success chances for the crafting cycle.
This discussion has been closed.