test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ...you can purchase R&D packs from the C-Store.
    ...and, here is the real reason why crafting was revamped. Cryptic saw the system as a means to gain revenue; therefore, players should expect a serious amount of grinding. I would not expect anything practical.

Its a bummer on how money clouds everything.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lol :D Captain Greed strikes again!

Combined with Captain Nerf in a dynamic duo, I think it's high time for me to start looking for a more enjoyable way to spend my gaming time and money.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One question that I haven't seen is what's going to happen to the particle inputs for the Fleet science projects?

dahminus wrote: »
    Go back to your cave.

From what I remember it was a bit of a pain in the TRIBBLE to level. I could be mistaken, no need to be so condescending though
    I only did the second iteration of crafting. It was easy except for the part where I spent dilithium for crafting materials to make the items that gave the experience to level up.
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Without giving exact numbers, I can say that you will be obtaining Uncommon and Rare materials on a regular basis while playing through content or doing Duty Officer missions. You will obtain Very Rare materials on a regular basis if you participate in elite queued content. No materials are tuned to be impossible or out of reach goals.
    Well I can't argue with how tedious the exploration missions were. But the missions within were monetarily valuable. The question what happens to the explore strange new worlds mission is extremely important to answer.
    There will be Mk 12 Purple gear in the system, and possibly a few Mk 12 Ultraviolet (fleet quality) pieces. We'll go into more detail on what you can make in a future blog. Does that potentially count as competitive? :)

That is very good news. The 20K dilithium figure is not. The reason I don't have a complete Reman Set on my main or on my Romulan is because the set piece costs 32K. It's brutal if you're trying to provide for a fleet, or save for zen, by rep gear.

So the question becomes why should I invest in it?

Will craftable items have different properties compared to Fleet gear and Rep gear.

That's the only logical thing. If we're getting Ultraviolet rarity items, something usually reserved for Advanced and Elite Fleet gear, are we seeing items that will not be available through the other main avenues. Instead of Damage X 3, we might see Arc instead? Not exactly more powerful, but with different advantages?

If that's where you're going where you have to have investments in your reputations, in your fleet, and in crafting to get all the best choice gear, then this could be very nice dilithium aside. Dilithium cost is acceptable if you feel that what you're purchasing is meaningful then you, and in this case we, will pay for it and happily.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A VR Mk XI Deflector currently costs 31750 Dil to craft.
    A VR Mk XI Weapon currently costs 15230 Dil to craft.
    A Rare Mk XI Console currently costs 7300 Dil to craft. Yes, that's Rare - not Very Rare.

Look at the Dil Store costs for VR Mk XI stuff. Look at the Rep Project, Rep Store, Fleet Store, Fleet Projects to unlock the Fleet Stores, and all the rest...

How on Earth are folks complaining about the proposed Dil costs?

The sheer level of entitlement displayed by some of the posters in this game is exacerbating at times...
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why are you removing the exploration missions? Yes, they sucked, but some of us use those random missions and events for our own fleet events and play, and that pretty much removes all exploration elements from the game there. The exploration mission system was nice for quick and easy things where you didn't want to run an STF or something complex, just run around, shoot through a mission or whatever.

If they sucked, fine, they sucked. But why reduce the amount of stuff to do in the game? Will people still be able to run random exploration missions? Will there be a system that replaces it?

This makes the galaxy feel smaller.

So I'd like some clarification on this please.
    edited June 2014
    A Rare Mk XI Console currently costs 7300 Dil to craft. Yes, that's Rare - not Very Rare.

Look at the Dil Store costs for VR Mk XI stuff. Look at the Rep Project, Rep Store, Fleet Store, Fleet Projects to unlock the Fleet Stores, and all the rest...

The sheer level of entitlement displayed by some of the posters in this game is exacerbating at times...

That's a great point with good numbers.

Man....the crazy thing is I didn't even remember them being that high. That's more brutal.

What are the numbers for the Aegis set?
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I forgot to ask one question: What will happen to the fleet projects that currently require data samples and particle traces?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Another question I have not seen yet...

Will this affect crafting on Defera? If so, how are we going to obtain the Fractal Remodulators and all the other goodies you can craft at Defera? Will Defera materials be replaced? At the moment, they are uncommon. What about the Defera crafting missions you get; will they be replaced or taken out of the game?
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

You forget the part where a VR Mk XI item costs 0 dil by playing content, which means why bother even crafting? I didn't craft those items before, I didn't buy them from the dil store, I didn't buy Mk XI items from the rep system, why? Because they're free by playing. Comparing one bad idea to several other bad ideas doesn't change that it's a bad idea in the first place.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Because of (a) Fleet Starbases whcih can have literally MILLIONS of Dilithium Costs that are strangling small fleets at the moment.
    (B) Reputation Gear which costs about 23K for a Reputation Deflector Array.

(C) Fleet Gear which costs 40K but is vastly superior to Reputation Gear but is also behind Starbase Dilithium Costs (double dipping in Dilthium spending).

(D) C-Store items like Starships which people like to grind Dilithium for instead of paying money.

(E) An 8000 Dilithium a day cap which would require either giving up 3 Toons' dilithium for 1 Mk XII Purple item on this new system or three days diltithium on 1 toon for 1 item.

(F) FREE Mk XII Purple drops from the revamped Rep System.

(G) Free Mk XI Purple items from story missions.

Dilithium sinks starting to over take what we can make.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ...I think the 20k may be a bit high for a Mk XII, but compared to the 30-40k range for buying gear out of Reputations or the Dil Store, it still feels pretty reasonable to me.
    I'm ok with 5k Dil for Mk XI equipment (mostly because I doubt I'll ever bother with it). Though I think 4k, or half-day's worth of Dilithium is better.

For Mk XII, you're right: 20k Dilithium is too steep, especially when you consider all the effort (or real-world-money if we short-cut it) we're going to need to put into getting crafting materials. We shouldn't have to wait 3-days to craft each Mk XII item. 1-day (ie 8k) seems really appropriate to me. 15k would even feel like a stretch.

Besides, surely Mk XII gear shouldn't be 4x as costly as Mk XI gear, since you don't get anywhere close to 4x the benefit.
    You will have to start over, but we're working on a reward that honors your commitment to the previous system. You'll get a bit of a leg up on others who are starting fresh.
    This will be the third time I've had to level-up Crafting on my characters. I'm disappointed to hear we're having to start over (again). A "leg up" is nice, but I figure it'll be as disrespectful as previous Cryptic conversions (I'm thinking of the P2P>F2P "Currency Consolidation" Dilithium Conversion of Season 5, and the Borg STF rewards to Omega Reputation Conversion of Season 7). Meh. :rolleyes:
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost...
    Are you doing away with the Explore Strange New Worlds wrapper Dilithium mission and the individual Cluster Mission: Explore the XYZ Nebula/Cluster?

What's going to happen to those of us still working on those Exploration Accolades?

:o

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
    edited June 2014
    drreverend wrote: »
    Why are you removing the exploration missions? Yes, they sucked, but some of us use those random missions and events for our own fleet events and play, and that pretty much removes all exploration elements from the game there. The exploration mission system was nice for quick and easy things where you didn't want to run an STF or something complex, just run around, shoot through a mission or whatever.

If they sucked, fine, they sucked. But why reduce the amount of stuff to do in the game? Will people still be able to run random exploration missions? Will there be a system that replaces it?

This makes the galaxy feel smaller.

So I'd like some clarification on this please.
    Well this might be an instance where they're gonna rework them. I'm holding off judgment on that front just yet.
    antzudan wrote: »
    Massive Pro: Bank Slots
    Massive Con: Costing dilithium

Ho Hum.

Also I desperately hope that removal of the exploration clusters is a sign of an exploration revamp as well. I'll always think fondly of my time exploring deep space for dilithium early in my career, with it's vast load times and dull missions... but maybe it is for the best that they are replaced with something more up to standard.
    That is on the list and honestly they've been adding these updates like checking off a list. Reputation revamp, Kit revamp, tailor options revamp still in progress, and now crafting revamp and particle trace revamp.

Exploration revamp being right down the pipe. Hawk even teased an Aegis Revamp, that's nice.
    edited June 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    That's a great point with good numbers.

Man....the crazy thing is I didn't even remember them being that high. That's more brutal.

What are the numbers for the Aegis set?

Each piece of the Aegis set is 18 Uncommon and 15 Common. That's 54 Uncommon and 45 Common.

1 Uncommon = 1000 Dil.
    1 Common = 10 Dil.

So to craft the Aegis 3pc set would require 54450 Dil...as well as the Schematics, Data Samples, and Particle Traces.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ok my thoughts

New Crafting great I look forward to i......wait a minute.

Still have the dilithium costs.... Never mind. I have better uses for my dilithium than to use it for crafting.

Also your removing the Exploration Clusters? I too want to know what then happens to a Tuffli's or Cell ships Cluster Transwarp abilities.

So far the only thing I know I will like is the crafting inventory slots. Everything else is a wait and see moment.

You forget the part where a VR Mk XI item costs 0 dil by playing content, which means why bother even crafting? I didn't craft those items before, I didn't buy them from the dil store, I didn't buy Mk XI items from the rep system, why? Because they're free by playing. Comparing one bad idea to several other bad ideas doesn't change that it's a bad idea in the first place.

(Begin sarcasm font) Remember with the Rep revampthey got rid of mk x and mk xi What about they get rid of mk x1 and mk xii gear and all you have to get it is crafting fleet and rep stores?(end sarcasm font)
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    edited June 2014
    Forgot to mention my love for the crafting item slots for the materials, well done.
    Each piece of the Aegis set is 18 Uncommon and 15 Common. That's 54 Uncommon and 45 Common.

1 Uncommon = 1000 Dil.
    1 Common = 10 Dil.

So to craft the Aegis 3pc set would require 54450 Dil...as well as the Schematics, Data Samples, and Particle Traces.

Man I had forgotten that, been so long. Still I loved my Aegis set, so I'm cool with that.
    edited June 2014
    Another thought that came to mind...

We have the Prototype Consoles DOFF missions that require Powered Alien Artifact that give us the chance to make Mk XII consoles. Will that mission be removed? Will it require dilithium to complete? How about the Strange Alien Artifact mission? Are those materials staying in the game, or are they being removed? Will we still be able to use Particle Traces to power up the Strange Alien Artifact?
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Well this might be an instance where they're gonna rework them. I'm holding off judgment on that front just yet.

Reworking is fine if they put something in their place. Just flat out deleting a dozen sectors worth of random missions and putting nothing in their place is something different. And it doesn't count if the replacement comes in a year.
    edited June 2014
    velqua wrote: »

We have the Prototype Consoles DOFF missions that require Powered Alien Artifact that give us the chance to make Mk XII consoles. Will that mission be removed? Will it require dilithium to complete? How about the Strange Alien Artifact mission? Are those materials staying in the game, or are they being removed? Will we still be able to use Particle Traces to power up the Strange Alien Artifact?

Maybe the Powered Strange Alien Artifact should be a special input for a crafting mission, something a bit safer than the doff mission with the 85% blow up in your face rate.
    edited June 2014
    drreverend wrote: »
    Reworking is fine if they put something in their place. Just flat out deleting a dozen sectors worth of random missions and putting nothing in their place is something different. And it doesn't count if the replacement comes in a year.

I can agree with that. I'd find it forgivable if it was just a few months, though I can't imagine why they'd take something out in 9.5 just to replace it in the next expansion, when they could've just left the old in until the new was ready :confused:

On something completely different, now I will wait patiently for the Aegis blog.
    edited June 2014
    Because of (a) Fleet Starbases whcih can have literally MILLIONS of Dilithium Costs that are strangling small fleets at the moment.

That's a case of making a choice of how the Dil is spent. That's going to be a personal or group decision. If you go into a convenience store, wanting both a soda and bag of chips - but you've only got enough for one...guess what happens?
    (B) Reputation Gear which costs about 23K for a Reputation Deflector Array.

34000 KHG/AKHG, MACO/AMACO, Omega.
    32500 8472, Dyson, Nukara, Borg.
    32000 Reman, Romulan.
    (C) Fleet Gear which costs 40K but is vastly superior to Reputation Gear but is also behind Starbase Dilithium Costs (double dipping in Dilthium spending).

So providing alternatives to folks that may not be as good (when as good is not needed) at a much reduced cost is a bad thing?
    (D) C-Store items like Starships which people like to grind Dilithium for instead of paying money.

Again, soda and chips...
    (E) An 8000 Dilithium a day cap which would require either giving up 3 Toons' dilithium for 1 Mk XII Purple item on this new system or three days diltithium on 1 toon for 1 item.

Oh dear God...no instant gratification? It's the end of the world!!! /facepalm
    (F) FREE Mk XII Purple drops from the revamped Rep System.

Which may or may not have the mods you want - may not even be the equipment you want - you could end up getting all sorts of things. Then take a look at the cost of running those Rep Lock Boxes instead of converting those Marks directly to Dil, eh? Cause that's basically what they are, Rep Lock Boxes...
    (G) Free Mk XI Purple items from story missions.

That may not be as good as what you can craft...
    Dilithium sinks starting to over take what we can make.

Again...instant gratification issues, eh?
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Unless there's something different about the craftable gear that makes them a viable alternative, few people will craft and we'll be right back at square one.

Oh, there's definitely something different about craftable gear. But today we're only supposed to be talking about materials!

Craftable gear has unique procs that can only be found via the crafting system.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
    edited June 2014
    As someone who has bought a boatload of zen, I do not think people are approaching this with a sense of entitlement. If many of these people are like myself, they are accustomed to buying single-player and offline games. Spending $60 on a single-player game gets you more content. Expansion packs use to range between $30 and $49. Players are willing to pay for content, for as long as they are getting something practical. Within this particular paradigm, waiting for a week to complete a set is impractical.

I grew up in a world where money and value meant something.
  • captainpurplecaptainpurple Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    velqua wrote: »

We have the Prototype Consoles DOFF missions that require Powered Alien Artifact that give us the chance to make Mk XII consoles. Will that mission be removed? Will it require dilithium to complete? How about the Strange Alien Artifact mission? Are those materials staying in the game, or are they being removed?
    I was thinking the same thing. If the particle traces are removed, how does this affect the Alien Artifacts, powering them, and doing the DOFF mission to make Mk XII consoles?
    Right now it costs 5k Dil to make a Mk XI item and 20k Dil to make a Mk XII item. Those prices are subject to change pending testing on Tribble - our goal is to make it much cheaper to buy a given piece via crafting than it would be to just buy it from the Dilithium Store, since crafting requires time and effort as well.
    Then you can count me out of the new crafting system. I reached the top level of crafting on two toons (one Fed, one KDF) back in the day before dilithium requirements when it was a long, tedious grind to farm data samples and make items to maximum crafting level. Adding dilithium killed the profession for me and other than a handful of items, I haven't used it in two years.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Without giving exact numbers, I can say that you will be obtaining Uncommon and Rare materials on a regular basis while playing through content or doing Duty Officer missions. You will obtain Very Rare materials on a regular basis if you participate in elite queued content. No materials are tuned to be impossible or out of reach goals.
    A shame the exploration missions are being removed. A good source of dilithium, accolades to work on, and something else to do, even if the missions weren't up to par. Plus the whole "exploration" thing is a big deal to a lot of Trek fans. Otherwise we're left with rep tiers, wars, and space/ground shooters.

On the other hand, adding materials to elite event queues won't help the KDF queues at all. If the items aren't bound to character, then everyone will just farm them on their Fed toons (which is the majority of the player base) and shuffle items to KDF toons as needed through the account bank or mail. Not advocating to have all the materials bound, but just saying.
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    "General Server Stability" means they are bolting the servers to the floor, right? Wouldn't you be upset if Branflakes were to go stumbling into the server room, knock a rack over, and bring the game down for a DAY? SO, they aren't scrwing it up, they are bolting it down.
    edited June 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    I would echo the sentiment that proposed dil costs aren't gonna make crafting viable.

If I'm to try a new build on an alt, why not use green Mk XI? That way I get all of the equipment needed (say 15 pieces) for a hundred thousand ECs. Definitely much cheaper than getting a single piece of purple Mk XI by crafting for 5k dil. Not to mention Purple gear will probably need some of the very rare materials, right? Then it's simply out of the question for an alt.

Worth noting that the Dil costs are entirely on the syntehsizing materials into components - so you can build Mk XI and XII for EC only, as long as someone's selling their Very Rare components.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    As someone who has bought a boatload of zen, I do not think people are approaching this with a sense of entitlement. If many of these people are like myself, they are accustomed to buying single-player and offline games. Spending $60 on a single-player game gets you more content. Expansion packs use to range between $30 and $49. Players are willing to pay for content, for as long as they are getting something practical. Within this particular paradigm, waiting for a week to complete a set is impractical.

I grew up in a world where money and value meant something.

Welcome to the 21st century, where people want it free and NAO
    edited June 2014
    Oh, there's definitely something different about craftable gear. But today we're only supposed to be talking about materials!

Craftable gear has unique procs that can only be found via the crafting system.

So are we talking Spiral Disruptor type procs, Romulan Plasma type procs, or Nukara Tetryon type procs? I am assuming that those crafting procs have higher percentage than 2.5.
  • lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Again...instant gratification issues, eh?

Oh no, people want to spend their money (dil) wisely, they must have gratification and entitlement issues! Easy way to cover up how much of a bad idea this is.

There's no "entitlement", it's just a factual observation that, given limited amounts of dil, people will spend it on the most useful items. If nothing in the crafting system falls under "most useful items" then guess what, people won't craft. What does that mean? It means that the dev team have just spent however many thousands of dollars revamping the crafting system, only for people to not use it. It also means they won't be able to recoup those costs easily because fewer people crafting means fewer people spending money on crafting resources. Why should anyone spend their real world money to get a C-store crafting pack when nothing they craft will be worthwhile? Either the craftable items need to be better or the costs need to be lowered. If those neither of those happens, Cryptic will lose money and all of this will be a waste. This isn't "entitlement", this is basic economics. If I want a bag of chips, am I entitled for going to the store that sells them for the cheapest price? Am I entitled for pointing out that Store A is selling them for twice the cost as Store B and remarking that there's no reason for me to go to Store A when I can get the same product for less at Store B? Of course not. So stop throwing around buzzwords.

The only ones entitled are the ones expecting people to drop money on something that they have no reason to get.
    edited June 2014
    Worth noting that the Dil costs are entirely on the syntehsizing materials into components - so you can build Mk XI and XII for EC only, as long as someone's selling their Very Rare components.
    How are you going to stop players from selling those components for over 1 million ec? Since the crafting system should benefit players below level fifty, would allowing them to be sold on the exchange make them too expensive? Or, are you going to remove the MK I - MK IX items?
    edited June 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    First off, I'd like to point out that if STO really, really wants to keep going down this road of "dil costs everywhere", then it absolutely needs to implement earning of Dil, everywhere.

We know that there will be a demand spike of Dil with this system. We're looking (long term, not 9.5-era) at ways to increase and normalize the ability to earn supply of Dil for players with different play patterns. Contrary to popular belief, we don't have any sort of widespread internal conspiracy to suck out all the ways to gain Dilithium - we want to reward you for playing the game.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So THIS Duty Officer is going to PROPERLY work with the new material drop system on day 1 of the new patch right?
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Specialization:_Astrometrics_Scientist#Particle_Trace_variant

We're not going to have to wait 11 months for it to properly drop new materials from Scanning minigames and Doff assignments RIGHT? RIGHT?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.