What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• Options
    themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Freeing bank space of all the crafting bits I have is certainly welcome. I'll wait and see with the rest.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ktetch wrote: »
    Stop saying 'max crafter' as if it means something. It's like boasting about being at the end of kindergarden - it's simple, quick, easy and if you think it's been an achievement, then you've got big problems coming when a real task comes up.

Go back to your cave.

From what I remember it was a bit of a pain in the TRIBBLE to level. I could be mistaken, no need to be so condescending though
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    wry1wry1 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What we need to craft is irrelevant if you don't give us meaningful ( aka: competitive) gear to craft.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My ability to craft the different types of nanoenergy cells used by Jem Hadar ground weapons won't be impacted by this, right? I always loved that.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So, do I keep my current maxed crafting status in the new system or not?

If not, what will Current max crafters get in compensation?

Edit:

I don't get the queued events being a part of crafting, nor the cstore either??

Sounds to me that it isn't crafting at all, just yet another reputation.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sthraxpwe wrote: »
    This is getting uncomfortably close to the Neverwinter system, and I'm especially concerned about monetizing crafting with the C-store.

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about it too. But we'll see how things go. They still have a month and a half until launch.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What we'll be able to craft will probably come when they're ready to put it up on tribble.

And for those saying that they're monetizing crafting, Here's a little quoted excerpt from the article:
    In addition, you can earn Very Rare materials by participating in queued events, and you can purchase R&D packs from the C-Store, which will give you an assortment of materials. As always, though, everything you need can be found by playing the game.

This means that people merely have an option of quickly obtaining materials rather than going to search for them. It does not mean that it'll the only way that we'll be able to obtain them.

To be frank, I think anyone asking for competitive gear that can be crafted is only asking for disappointment. People have stated that crafting is currently irrelevant due to fleet gear being better than what can be crafted, especially since you can get antiproton stuff from fleet store.

The way I see it, if they add stuff that can be crafted better than fleet stuff, that will hurt any reason to join a fleet for flleet weapons. However, if the stuff that can be crafted is strictly worse than what can be obtained from fleet store, then nobody will bother with it unless there other things that they are making craftable. Only time will tell.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    drtassadardrtassadar Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If anyone has played Neverwinter, also by Cryptic, I have a feeling that STO's new crafting system will resemble Neverwinters, especially where the article mentions that crafting materials will have it's own tab.
    "That was not Mozart laughing, Father... that was God. That was God laughing at me, through that... through that obscene giggle."
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I welcome the new compartment of inventory for the materials. (Hopefully pets get that soon too.)

I wonder if all types of needed materials will be available as random drops from anomalies, though. It wouldn't be pleasant if the rarest were only available as rewards in queues (speaking of that, hopefully they won't replace any rewards) or worse: in the C-Store.

Also I wonder how they're gonna sort the exchange, it's all sorts of bugged and they still haven't added kit modules tab to it. Feels like they're afraid to touch it.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Conversion rates? Conversion rates? Conversion rates? :D

If it's like the conversion crate we got when the Omega Rep changeover occurred... bad if you have a ton of resources, great if you only have a few. I know you mentioned having entire banks full of them at some point earlier, so just in case try spreading some out before the conversion as there's likely to be a maximum amount for the changeover. I could be wrong, but in the last conversion I saw nowhere near the value it should have for the characters that had saved up some widgets (Prototype Borg Salvage, Encrypted Data Chips). Of course, the characters that had just a little of this stuff got far more per unit in the trade, though less overall.

That's just supposition based on the last conversion, though, and without knowing the actual balance point we're bound to have mixed results... and of course exact exchange rates and caps were not given last time. Still... if you want an Aegis Set for an alt or future character the next time you do a re-roll cycle, it might not be a bad time to craft them. ;)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    spacemoonsallyspacemoonsally Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I found crafting pointless since most of the crafting produced the EXACT same items found in other parts of the game. After crafting the Aegis set for my alts I haven't touched crafting since. A revamp will be a welcome change.

Thank you for providing a special separate inventory for crafting, I very much appreciate that.
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    canis36 wrote: »
    1) Will we still be able to get crafting mats from visiting exploration clusters?
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.
    2) Will we still be able to get crafting mats from exploration cluster missions?
    We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.
    3) Can we have some numbers on intended drop rates for uncommon, rare, and very rare crafting mats?
    Without giving exact numbers, I can say that you will be obtaining Uncommon and Rare materials on a regular basis while playing through content or doing Duty Officer missions. You will obtain Very Rare materials on a regular basis if you participate in elite queued content. No materials are tuned to be impossible or out of reach goals.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    Guess I'll start saving, when will this come to Tribble?

Imminently™
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Just a couple of questions

1/ Are we going to get our pants pulled down over the conversion process? (Thinking back to the Borg prototype tech and such)

2/ Are the dilithium requirements for the new items going to be as extortionate as they are now? (well that cost was the final nail in the coffin for the old system as far as I was concerned)

3/ Are the Rare particles traces going to be altered? if so will the missions that currently require these traces I.E. Powering alien artifacts, be updated at the same time or will this get over looked and need to fixed as part of a patch later on.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm glad there is still a blog for today and I'm glad about the contents. I'm glad we essentially get more inventory, and I'm glad we can convert our old items into the new crafting, but also that it usn't mandatory. One last question, will the crafting inventory be account bank, or character bank?

Crafting inventory will stay with you, so you can look at it whenever you want, but it doens't take up any of your normal inventory slots.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    It all comes down if my max crafter is going to need to start over (for the third time I believe). We will see what happens...

You will have to start over, but we're working on a reward that honors your commitment to the previous system. You'll get a bit of a leg up on others who are starting fresh.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Oh, wow. Not sure how I feel about that. Unless you guys have a new Exploration system on the horizon, that pretty much removes any hint of space exploration from the game, doesn't it?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Crafting inventory will stay with you, so you can look at it whenever you want, but it doens't take up any of your normal inventory slots.

What I meant was, can any character on an account add and withdraw to/from it like the account bank?
    I think it is great that you are taking time to answer questions. (Even if you did misunderstand mine.)
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    wry1 wrote: »
    What we need to craft is irrelevant if you don't give us meaningful ( aka: competitive) gear to craft.

There will be Mk 12 Purple gear in the system, and possibly a few Mk 12 Ultraviolet (fleet quality) pieces. We'll go into more detail on what you can make in a future blog. Does that potentially count as competitive? :)
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There will be Mk 12 Purple gear in the system, and possibly a few Mk 12 Ultraviolet (fleet quality) pieces. We'll go into more detail on what you can make in a future blog. Does that potentially count as competitive? :)

Brilliant news. This will be great for people like me, who are not in a brilliant tiered fleet. Also, it will be helpful for the STB channel, as it will make getting phasers easier.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Potentially. It will also depend on what it costs to craft the item in the first place. Monetizing crafting was tantamount to a deathblow for the current system.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Can't rember when I started to keep the stuff from DOFFing instead of just deleting it, but taking a quick look - this is what I've got collected there in my solo fleet's bank slots...

Data Samples

T1 Energy (Radiation Sample): 1499
    T1 Physical (Mineral Sample): 1362
    T1 Technological (Alien Artifacts): 1409
    T2 Energy (Antimatter Sample): 1679
    T2 Physical (Biological Sample): 1470
    T2 Technological (Unknown Alloy): 1495
    T3 Energy (Tetryon Particle): 1561
    T3 Physical (Plasma Sample): 1396
    T3 Technological (Encoded Data): 1487
    T4 Energy (Methogenic Particle): 2063
    T4 Physical (DNA Sequence): 1296
    T4 Technological (Genetic Sequencer): 1684
    T5 Energy (Tachyon Wave Signature): 1743
    T5 Physical (Exobiological Data): 1681
    T5 Technological (Photonic Technology): 1927
    T6 Energy (Chronometric Wave Signature): 1388
    T6 Physical (Unidentified Substance): 1424
    T6 Technological (Technical Schematic): 1366

Particle Traces

Antithoron: 144
    Anyon: 166
    Beta-Tachyon: 145
    Chronometric: 164
    Dekyon: 186
    Duderon: 163
    Methogenic: 186
    Metreon: 161
    Trianium: 156
    Vertion: 162

New R&D Materials

Common Gases
    Uncommon Gases
    Rare Gases
    Very Rare Gases
    Common Metals
    Uncommon Metals
    Rare Metals
    Very Rare Metals
    Uncommon Particles
    Rare Particles
    Very Rare Particles

...so uh, what am I looking at happening with my Data Samples and Particle Traces being converted to the new R&D Materials?
    If it's like the conversion crate we got when the Omega Rep changeover occurred... bad if you have a ton of resources, great if you only have a few. I know you mentioned having entire banks full of them at some point earlier, so just in case try spreading some out before the conversion as there's likely to be a maximum amount for the changeover. I could be wrong, but in the last conversion I saw nowhere near the value it should have for the characters that had saved up some widgets (Prototype Borg Salvage, Encrypted Data Chips). Of course, the characters that had just a little of this stuff got far more per unit in the trade, though less overall.

That's just supposition based on the last conversion, though, and without knowing the actual balance point we're bound to have mixed results... and of course exact exchange rates and caps were not given last time.

Yeah, that's a concern - whether I should spread them out amongst toons - what am I looking at happening here...? Oh well...

Because there was also this...

...and well, uh - what is that going to mean with how I'm storing those "crafting" materials currently? It's not taking up any of my normal inventory slots...it's in my fleet inventory.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks, adjudicatorhawk, for jumping in to answer questions.

1.) Could you tell us if the crafting inventory slots UI will have a "Buy More Slots" button, like the regular inventory UI does?

(I'm assuming we get a fixed number of slots which we can scale via C-Store purchases.)

2.) Can we store crafting materials in both the normal inventory AND crafting inventory slots?

3.) Which inventory location will crafting drops be automatically stored? (In other words, do we collect drops/rewards, then manually transfer to the crafting inventory? Or do crafting items automatically populate in the crafting inventory slots?)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ...so uh, what am I looking at happening with my Data Samples and Particle Traces being converted to the new R&D Materials?

The conversion isn't automated - double clicking on a particle trace will let you trade it in for new materials. You can trade in as much of your stash as you need to do whatever task you're working on. You can keep all of your traces stored in your Fleet Bank if you want - they just aren't used for anything anymore.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The conversion isn't automated - double clicking on a particle trace will let you trade it in for new materials. You can trade in as much of your stash as you need to do whatever task you're working on. You can keep all of your traces stored in your Fleet Bank if you want - they just aren't used for anything anymore.

Since Clusters are going the way of the do-do, what happens to Exploration? You know, the basis of what makes Star Trek, Star Trek. And not Star Wars, or Battlestar Galactica etc.

Without exploration, you could just as well call this Starship Online, or Space Shooter Online, because it would officially no longer be Trek (other than in name only).
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You will have to start over, but we're working on a reward that honors your commitment to the previous system. You'll get a bit of a leg up on others who are starting fresh.

Disapointed face for sure, I did the crafting when it first launched and was horribly tedious, than we had the "revamp" with dilithium tossed into the mix and had to level up in that stuff a degree as well,

so now we start over again huh....that's cool...not

so if there is a pvp revamp or another ground combat revamp lets go ahead and put everyone back at level 1 too...

please think about this Devs, a reward is one thing but restarting something we already mastered (for some of us twice) to do yet again, I wont touch it regardless of how amazing it may be.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is Dilithium or any other real money currency involved with the new crafting system?
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Thanks for the reply and alleviating that concern, Hawk.
  • Options
    judasjungjudasjung Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Question:

Will upgrading existing sets like the Breen and Aegis to Mark XII be included in the new system?

And will current level of crafting materials determine what we get in trade-in?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Thanks, adjudicatorhawk, for jumping in to answer questions.

1.) Could you tell us if the crafting inventory slots UI will have a "Buy More Slots" button, like the regular inventory UI does?

Right now, it doesn't have one - we just want you to be able to store as many materials as you gather and not have to worry about it. It's a 100 slot bag, and there are ~30 components and
    ~15 materials, and they stack up to 999. It's possible for you to run out of room, but very, very difficult.
    2.) Can we store crafting materials in both the normal inventory AND crafting inventory slots?

We're still experimenting with this internally. Ideally, the answer is "They can go in your bank, Account Bank, or Fleet Bank, but not in your normal inventory slots". The reasoning behind this is, it's very difficult to get an item from your normal Inventory into your Material Inventory - you have to launder it through the bank. So if materials can go into your inventory and end up there, you'll have a really hard time getting them back to the "free material bag" if you want them there instead.
    3.) Which inventory location will crafting drops be automatically stored? (In other words, do we collect drops/rewards, then manually transfer to the crafting inventory? Or do crafting items automatically populate in the crafting inventory slots?)

They automatically go to the crafting slots.