test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Season 9 Dev Blog #25

Recovering from the Undine attack, Commander Jenna Romaine proposes a new surge of research and development. Undercover agents will likely to have gained access to our research plans, so it is our job to develop new advanced technology with our scientists and engineers. Read the proposal for state-of-the-art technology in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

Season 9 Dev Blog #26

As part of the new Research and Development system that we’re introducing in Season 9.5, we’re updating the kinds of raw materials that you’ll use. Designer Jesse Heinig Read more details about how the new system works in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

Season 9 Dev Blog #27

In our three-part blog, System Designer Jeff “AdjudicatorHawk” Hamilton shares more information about the new schools captains can take part in with crafting update coming soon! Read more details about how the schools function in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy

Season 9 Dev Blog #28

In our next installment of our three-part blog series, System Designer Jeff “AdjudicatorHawk” Hamilton shows off some of the awesome gear, traits, and more in our crafting update coming up in Season 9.5! Read more about it in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy

Season 9 Dev Blog #31

In the final installment of our three-part blog, Lead Content Designer Charles Gray reveals details about the new Research and Development Material Packs that can be found in the Crafting Update coming in Season 9.5! Check out the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We can’t be the only ones who see the only way to move is forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

Boldly going forward, cause we can't find reverse! ;)
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ahhhh, must get more details.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'll get this question out of the way first: in the post, it said that Starfleet should open up the R&D to the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Republic, does that mean that the KDF and the Romulans would be able to go to Memory Alpha?
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Would be nice if we could research some additional clothing for our special bridge officers (Reman, Voth, Romulan, Jem Hadar etc) ... just Sayin' ;)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That explains part of why the Crafting revamp seemed to take so long. You guys wanted to release it at the right time to coincide with what you did with Season 9. I approve from a story stand point!

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well this...could be interesting.

I am now cautiously optimistic.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'll get this question out of the way first: in the post, it said that Starfleet should open up the R&D to the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Republic, does that mean that the KDF and the Romulans would be able to go to Memory Alpha?

I sure hope not, it's bad enough getting there from Sol as a new player.
    edited June 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Would be nice if we could research some additional clothing for our special bridge officers (Reman, Voth, Romulan, Jem Hadar etc) ... just Sayin' ;)

Heh, with different crafting paths...the Wardrobe & Style Path. The Catwalk Path...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7b27t7lxCw
    edited June 2014

I thought Fed allied Romulans could already go to Memory Alpha? I know that KlDF had their own area in First City for crafting which is also accessible to KDF Romulans.

edited June 2014
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    and another hype filler

While I'm not one of them, there are folks that enjoy the RPG aspect of STO being a MMORPG...and such things like this, well - makes them happy. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but I'm not going to begrudge Cryptic for showing some love to a part of their community...

...there's plenty of other things for me to begrudge them about. ;)
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have to say I rather like using in game lore reasons for revamps.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • psyloafpsyloaf Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I sure hope not, it's bad enough getting there from Sol as a new player.

Crafting Reputation Tier 1

Unlocks
    Memory Alpha Transwarp

Problem solved :D
    Fleet Advanced Research Vessel T6
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
    edited June 2014
    psyloaf wrote: »
    Crafting Reputation Tier 1

Unlocks
    Memory Alpha Transwarp

Problem solved :D

Would it be Reputation or would it be more like Commendation? Don't forget the DOFF angle, eh?
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Spoiler alert, sheesh.

Also, how is this going to affect that early fed mission where we get sent to Mem Alpha to learn to craft if this is all centered around chronologically later happening events.

And are the klingons getting anywhere new and nifty to craft orrrrr....?

Edit: Just re read. Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE US SHARE A SINGLE CRAFTING MAP. That just reeks of avoiding effort. The identical fleet holdings were bad enough. Faction distinction is important, otherwise why even have factions?
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I hope they fix the transwarps on the Tuffli and Cell ships so that they can transwarp to all nebulae and collect the goods.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    and another hype filler

Come on, first of all we have people complaining that they aren't hyping it, and now people complain about a nice little teaser when they do try

They just Can't win
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "I’m sending the full details via courier. It’s too sensitive to send over subspace. Zara should arrive at ESD sometime in the next twelve hours, and she can brief you on our project."

So we getting real info today by new blog or Tribble notes?
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Lets see what you can do Cryptic. :)
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So regardless of your reshearch progrees, we will all be reset, huh..?

Well... should have known the time was wasted.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • drtassadardrtassadar Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "I propose that we even consider sharing these advances with the Republic and the Empire,"

That was my favorite line of the post. I love that the war between the Federation and Klingons is over. Growing up with TNG, it always seemed stupid to me when the two fought, and a war between the two factions as the basis for the game made me rather sad.

At any rate, yay new crafting!
    "That was not Mozart laughing, Father... that was God. That was God laughing at me, through that... through that obscene giggle."
  • locutusx5locutusx5 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    " We’ll open up R&D to captains who haven’t worked with it before and see what they can do."

Does this mean player who max'd out the old crafting system get wipe and no compo? or will there be some sort of compo for us?
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2014

From the last thing we heard from geko they *might* be doing away with the whole memory alpha. Most likely what will happen if they do that something like our counter command in dyson sphere or some other new place we have as a HQ will be the spot or you can do it on faction homeworlds(ESD, Qo'nos, New Romulus or whatever expansion 2 has in store). My best guess is that this will be a new mold basically stuff we already have will become obsolete until crafting is outclassed in some other fashion.
    edited June 2014
    locutusx5 wrote: »
    " We’ll open up R&D to captains who haven’t worked with it before and see what they can do."

Does this mean player who max'd out the old crafting system get wipe and no compo? or will there be some sort of compo for us?

Al "Geko" Rivera has said in previous podcasts on the subject that they would give players who have fully maxed out all they can on the crafting exp a head start of other people on the new system.

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    seeing about tierd crafting in other games kinda worries me here. especially when they mentioned doffs. not predicting doom or anything but I would not be surprised to see time gated crafting and leveling of the skills.

and I doubt we all get the same crafting map. but im willing to bet the feds get it a week before the kdf does for some reason. and we all get stuck making identical items with no faction difference. and id really love it if only a Klingon could make disruptors, rommy plasma and feddy bear phasers, with all the other weapon types available to all builders.

and allot of people were begging for a EC sink. I think this may help a bit as items will be disassembled for parts. meaning they wont be getting sent to vendors as often and the EC flow will be reduced. but depending on how the components work the exchange could see a nice boost in use and price of looted items even possibly going up again as the supply is reduced.

all speculation at this point so don't hold me to it.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

edited June 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    seeing about tierd crafting in other games kinda worries me here. especially when they mentioned doffs. not predicting doom or anything but I would not be surprised to see time gated crafting and leveling of the skills.

and I doubt we all get the same crafting map. but im willing to bet the feds get it a week before the kdf does for some reason. and we all get stuck making identical items with no faction difference. and id really love it if only a Klingon could make disruptors, rommy plasma and feddy bear phasers, with all the other weapon types available to all builders.

and allot of people were begging for a EC sink. I think this may help a bit as items will be disassembled for parts. meaning they wont be getting sent to vendors as often and the EC flow will be reduced. but depending on how the components work the exchange could see a nice boost in use and price of looted items even possibly going up again as the supply is reduced.

all speculation at this point so don't hold me to it.

Yeah one game that is censored in these forums has the worst crafting system ever. I just hope its not like that one where you need like about 5000+ requirements for an object just for a small chance that you can craft what you want. Although crafting does need to be revamped it hasn't changed at all since I first started here back almost around 3.5 years ago. Although I hope they don't make stuff like they did with the kling harg'peng where its character bound to the crafter once its made lol.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "We’re going to wipe away everything that came before" so I guess that means your skill level will be reset to Zero and we need to start fresh. Wonder if the materials we collected so far will have any use or will those also be recycled in the new system?
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    flash525 wrote: »

+1 from me... always hope! Add in the exchange officers and the ones from the Romulan empire that join up.
  • aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wonderful blog, I loved reading it. You have creatively tied the crafting revamp with the current storyline and it fits!

I assume "Zara" (who ever he/she/it may be) will be our new liason to crafting as E'genn was.

Arriving in the next twelve hours....I am counting on the next blog by then and hope this Zara is on time with the report!:D
    tigeraries wrote: »
    "We’re going to wipe away everything that came before" so I guess that means your skill level will be reset to Zero and we need to start fresh. Wonder if the materials we collected so far will have any use or will those also be recycled in the new system?

It does not have to mean that everything will be reset. You still have acquired knowledge as a basis and work on a new level. Imagine you have studied rocket engineering and now have to study fusion engineering. You would still have the basics, but would need to acquire new (more advanced) information.

At least I hope we will be get a conversion system for those who spend, time, EC, DL, and effort to level crafting under the current "old" system...would be really unfair if all would simply be erased and you'd have to start from scratch.
    edited June 2014
    aegon1ice wrote: »
    Wonderful blog, I loved reading it. You have creatively tied the crafting revamp with the current storyline and it fits!

I assume "Zara" (who ever he/she/it may be) will be our new liason to crafting as E'genn was.

Arriving in the next twelve hours....I am counting on the next blog by then and hope this Zara is on time with the report!:D

It does not have to mean that everything will be reset. You still have acquired knowledge as a basis and work on a new level. Imagine you have studied rocket engineering and now have to study fusion engineering. You would still have the basics, but would need to acquire new (more advanced) information.

At least I hope we will be get a conversion system for those who spend, time, EC, DL, and effort to level crafting under the current "old" system...would be really unfair if all would simply be erased and you'd have to start from scratch.

I don't mind the old system being wiped because it needs it. I just hope its more fun than grind and that it offers more immersion than the current way where its mostly federation based so that we can enjoy it on any character we choose to do it on.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Even if it's exactly the same information as posted already yesterday, thank you for a Dev Blog with more dedication to it :)