test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What Im askign is maybe have the person who wants the item, be in a team with the crafter. And the Dil comes from the Buyer instead of the Crafter through a UI option via the crafting window. Otherwise, the crafter loses dil they could put into their fleets or reputation projects instead.

But that's one of the things that Hawk brought up...
    Worth noting that the Dil costs are entirely on the syntehsizing materials into components - so you can build Mk XI and XII for EC only, as long as someone's selling their Very Rare components.

...you wouldn't need multiple folks in the UI to do something like that to avoid using your Dil for the item, you could simply buy the part requiring Dil to do the crafting or have somebody craft the item for you.

You don't have to use your Dil for it - you could use EC or whatever was used for trade instead.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think that since they're aiming to fix up parts of the game that are of bad quality to them, they probably have something in the works for exploration.

In a perfect world perhaps; but a cynical person might observe that, in a way, just removing exploration is fixing the quality problem.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What Im askign is maybe have the person who wants the item, be in a team with the crafter. And the Dil comes from the Buyer instead of the Crafter through a UI option via the crafting window. Otherwise, the crafter loses dil they could put into their fleets or reputation projects instead.
    Hmm, fascinating. A new mechanic where the person needing the item can share materials with the person doing the crafting. Team crafting. I actually like your train of thought here, this could work.
    I just had another thought about the removal of exploration clusters that I don't think has been brought up. Diplomacy XP is currently tied into the exploration clusters via the diplomatic missions and first contact missions that you can obtain here. Will we still be able to do these?

Actually in two years, in fact my second anniversary is next week, across two Federation characters I have gotten a grand total of One, First Contact assignments. I'm rather ticked about that actually.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But that's one of the things that Hawk brought up...

...you wouldn't need multiple folks in the UI to do something like that to avoid using your Dil for the item, you could simply buy the part requiring Dil to do the crafting or have somebody craft the item for you.

You don't have to use your Dil for it - you could use EC or whatever was used for trade instead.

Of which, was already done in this game for the Unreplicatable Materials. No one wanted to spend EC or Dilithium for something that was sold solely through Dilithium. They cost several thousand EC per item at present. There should be an option for an EC upgrade that might take longer and reward fewer of the items needed for those of us who dont had the Dil to spare or waste alot of EC for an item they will probably not be able to sell above cost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Will completing doff assignments in the altered star clusters still affect the accolade for the appropriate star cluster exploration progression?

I.E. If I complete X amount of doff missions in Delta Volanis, will my accolade progress for the Delta Volanis explorer accolade increase?

Might have been answered already, but I don't feel like going through all 19 pages.

In my opinion, they should. Completing a doff mission there would take substantially longer than going there yourself, for what would more or less be the exact amount of challenging 'content', off-set by the fact there's a mission timer and the chances for failure/disaster.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm glad they are looking at the materials, and will make it more fun or challenge to work. As we create our own gear.

Also I'm happy that the old stuff no longer useable, can be exchanged for something useable. So at least that didn't go to waste. And they are looking at keeping it more simple to save on storage space.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I disagree with that assertion. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay 5k Dil for a piece of Mk XI gear on an alt you're gearing up or for a new build you wanted to try out? That's pretty easily earned by playing content in the game.

I think the 20k may be a bit high for a Mk XII, but compared to the 30-40k range for buying gear out of Reputations or the Dil Store, it still feels pretty reasonable to me.

Mk X and XI gear was removed from reputation stores/projects because players only went after the XII gear and it created unnecessary clutter.

Now you are adding a new system with new Mk XI gear that will cost dilithium and are debating if the players will want it.

Not trying to be mean here. I just don't understand. Lack of consistency annoys me.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Of which, was already done in this game for the Unreplicatable Materials. No one wanted to spend EC or Dilithium for something that was sold solely through Dilithium. They cost several thousand EC per item at present. There should be an option for an EC upgrade that might take longer and reward fewer of the items needed for those of us who dont had the Dil to spare or waste alot of EC for an item they will probably not be able to sell above cost.

On the subject of Unreplicatable materials, they're going to have to go through a conversion as well into the new system. Wonder what they're going to be replaced with.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Gets into the whole X2 thing, eh?

If so, that could be a long wait for a yes or no. :(
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    May I make another point? Why should ANYTHING in this system cost Dilitium AT ALL?

Why should there be a time currency on a system where the currency is already TIME? Time in the form of acquiring materials through Doffing, EC to purchase said materials easier... and or the 7+ days it could take to craft an item(because who doesn't love WEEK-LONG FLEET HOLDING COMPLETIONS?!?!)

Time and again Cryptic, by way of it's parent company, shows it's complete incompetence by trying to monetize every single new aspect of its game. Then, on TOP of that monetization input, creates a time-gate to even receive the benefits of said monetized investment...
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Mk X and XI gear was removed from reputation stores/projects because players only went after the XII gear and it created unnecessary clutter.

Now you are adding a new system with new Mk XI gear that will cost dilithium and are debating if the players will want it.

Not trying to be mean here. I just don't understand. Lack of consistency annoys me.

It's a fair critique on its face - the key difference is that the market demand for a good and the creator's personal demand for a good are divorced in crafting, while not divorced in reputation. Since crafted stuff is BoE, crafters are able to determine more dynamically if there is a need for a given quality of good (like Mk XI gear) and will fill the niche if and only if the demand outweighs the creation cost (the "price floor").

Basically, the crafting system can serve gear for players of any level of investment in the game, while players committed enough to participate in Reputation were functionally not interested in Mk X or XI gear at the time we removed it from the system.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • hyoukihyouki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Right now it costs 5k Dil to make a Mk XI item and 20k Dil to make a Mk XII item. Those prices are subject to change pending testing on Tribble - our goal is to make it much cheaper to buy a given piece via crafting than it would be to just buy it from the Dilithium Store, since crafting requires time and effort as well.

*sigh*

Congratulations, you've just fulfilled my greatest fear for the new system, and killed my hopes for it.

Dilithium is already the choke point for everything in this game. New gear, upgraded fleet holdings, practically whatever you want to do, you have to expect to spend @#$@loads of dilithium...and now you want to add another dilithium-choked method of advancement?

I'll admit, you've gotten better at treating dilithium as the XP of the level capped characters, and enabling us to get some regardless of what we're doing, but this was really an opportunity to give us an alternate path, a way to progress even when all our dilithium is being spent on something else the instant we get it...and you blew it. With more dilithium costs. It'll be *cheaper*, but it's still charging a currency that I'm already far in debt with my current obligations.

Remember the Star Trek TV series where no matter what the crew needed to do, they needed lots of dilithium for it, and spent every episode doing the same things over and over and over so they could get enough dilithium by the end of the episode to resolve whatever that week's problem was? Oh, right, that was Star Trek Online.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hyouki wrote: »
    *sigh*

Congratulations, you've just fulfilled my greatest fear for the new system, and killed my hopes for it.

Dilithium is already the choke point for everything in this game. New gear, upgraded fleet holdings, practically whatever you want to do, you have to expect to spend @#$@loads of dilithium...and now you want to add another dilithium-choked method of advancement?

I'll admit, you've gotten better at treating dilithium as the XP of the level capped characters, and enabling us to get some regardless of what we're doing, but this was really an opportunity to give us an alternate path, a way to progress even when all our dilithium is being spent on something else the instant we get it...and you blew it. With more dilithium costs. It'll be *cheaper*, but it's still charging a currency that I'm already far in debt with my current obligations.

Remember the Star Trek TV series where no matter what the crew needed to do, they needed lots of dilithium for it, and spent every episode doing the same things over and over and over so they could get enough dilithium by the end of the episode to resolve whatever that week's problem was? Oh, right, that was Star Trek Online.

This, Absolutely. Dilithium has been overused by now in this game. Asking more from us isn't going to get us to do this revamped crafting. We've got too many Dil sinks already competing for our wallets. Please, Dev Team, enough is enough. We need a progression system that isnt gated by Dilithium. I get Fleet-grade crafted gear costing Dilithium. But anything that equal to being sold on the exchange has no business costing the premium currency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One minor UI thing I want to ask about. With the new materials and inventory system, are we going to see an end to 0 EC materials cluttering up the vendor sell tab?
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
    edited June 2014
    hyouki wrote: »
    and now you want to add another dilithium-choked method of advancement?

So removing the Dilithium cost on crafting below Mk XI...
    So reducing the Diltihium cost on crafting Mk XI...
    So introducing Mk XII with a lower Dilithium cost than crafting Mk XI had...

...how exactly are they doing what you're saying?
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So removing the Dilithium cost on crafting below Mk XI...
    So reducing the Diltihium cost on crafting Mk XI...
    So introducing Mk XII with a lower Dilithium cost than crafting Mk XI had...

At this point, I think no one will be happy until the game is 100% free.
    edited June 2014
    Right now it costs 5k Dil to make a Mk XI item and 20k Dil to make a Mk XII item. Those prices are subject to change pending testing on Tribble - our goal is to make it much cheaper to buy a given piece via crafting than it would be to just buy it from the Dilithium Store, since crafting requires time and effort as well.

Read above....
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
    edited June 2014

Even if the game was 100% free, people would still be unhappy.

Cryptic could send every player a stack of $20 bills in the mail and players would complain the serial numbers on the bills weren't sequential.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's a fair critique on its face - the key difference is that the market demand for a good and the creator's personal demand for a good are divorced in crafting, while not divorced in reputation. Since crafted stuff is BoE, crafters are able to determine more dynamically if there is a need for a given quality of good (like Mk XI gear) and will fill the niche if and only if the demand outweighs the creation cost (the "price floor").

Basically, the crafting system can serve gear for players of any level of investment in the game, while players committed enough to participate in Reputation were functionally not interested in Mk X or XI gear at the time we removed it from the system.

The 'marketability' of easily crafted gear almost always hits rock bottom right away unless the ability to create it has heavy time gates. If those time gates exist why would someone craft XI instead of XII with the 'time' resources? Unless they are not linked at least.

But beyond even that small detail. 12.5 Contraband = 5000 dil = .56 mil EC

*Added a 0 to the EC cost in original post, editing to fix it*

Assuming the EC cost is the determining factor and not the refining time investment bottleneck 5k is a fair market value of dilithium for Mk XI gear. However, I still don't think people will bother with it much but they might.

*Original, now incorrect but kept to remind myself to be less hasty in jumping to conclusions*

Checking exchange Very Rare Mk XI distruptor beam arrays shows 7 pages under 1 mil EC.

Sure, it may not have the exact mods I want, but if I'm that invested in my weapon selection I'm not going to settle for MK XI in the first place.

Their has always been a big disconnect between the value Cryptic thinks something has, and the value the player base thinks something has. That disconnect is the reason the DOFF system hasn't provided enough of a monetary return for Cryptic to bother creating new DOFFs for a new new pack with shiny new mechanics in quite awhile.

At most Mk XI gear should cost 2k dilithium. Ideally the player should be given an option of a low time investment high dilithium investment OR high time investment low dilithium investment. Especially considering the puple rock is intended to represent time investment anyway but without further information on the crafting system I cannot be more specific.
    edited June 2014
    sunseahl wrote: »
    Read above....

Yes, Hawk's post is where I got the reduced costs from...er...you know nothing about current crafting costs do you? 5k Mk XI is a MASSIVE reduction in cost. 20k Mk XII is a HUGE reduction in cost compared to Mk XI currently.
    edited June 2014
    Yes, Hawk's post is where I got the reduced costs from...er...you know nothing about current crafting costs do you? 5k Mk XI is a MASSIVE reduction in cost. 20k Mk XII is a HUGE reduction in cost compared to Mk XI currently.

a massive redution for a, now dead, system is still a Dilitium sink for /IF/ they make it a viable career again...

You're time gated in the refinement of Dilithium
    You're time gated in the collection of materials
    You're time gated in the time to complete the research
    You're time gated because dilithium goes to EVERY OTHER THING Endgame or Fleet Holding....

It's still a choke point of a time-gated currency...

It's stupid to choke a new system before it's even launched ESPECIALLY if new players want to endgame and DON'T know how to make/spend Dilithium
    edited June 2014
    It's stupid to choke a new system before it's even launched ESPECIALLY if new players want to endgame and DON'T know how to make/spend Dilithium

Ignorance and stupidity is the player's problem, not Cryptic's.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Ignorance and stupidity is the player's problem, not Cryptic's.

True... the more they make you want to spend money for their time currency the more stupid you are....
    edited June 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Sure, it may not have the exact mods I want, but if I'm that invested in my weapon selection I'm not going to settle for MK XI in the first place.

I settle for Mk XI with the mods I want over paying the prices for Mk XII with the mods I want. The difference in price can be extreme...and since Mk XI to Mk XII is only 10% damage strength, meaning that I might be losing anywhere from 4.5 to 17.4 damage before weapon power, 11.25 to 43.5 at 125 weapon power, and then work in various buffs from there...well, it's nowhere near the value, imho, to justify some of the prices folks charge.

It's along the lines of why I'd never buy VR Mk XII consoles - the cost for that +1.9% was ridiculous.

It gets into the...I can spend X to get one item or I can spend X to get 3-4 items. Unless I'm in the DPS channels or doing premade PvP; I know what I'm going with...
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Agreed.
    iconians wrote: »
    Even if the game was 100% free, people would still be unhappy.

Cryptic could send every player a stack of $20 bills in the mail and players would complain the serial numbers on the bills weren't sequential.

Also agreed.

STO's forum goers (as well as CO and NW) are some of the most HOSTILE posters I have ever seen in a MMO. Period. It's frankly insane how bad it is. And yes, I realize what's in my sig and what I'm saying. LOL

And for all of you who are complaining about the Dil costs... Season 9.5 doesn't launch for (about) a month and a half. You can make quite a bit of Dil between now and then. Get working. Stop complaining.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited June 2014
    True... the more they make you want to spend money for their time currency the more stupid you are....

Correct. This is the key point when it comes to pay4convenience f2p games. Cryptic is counting on ignorance, stupidity, and impatience to get those Zen dollars rolling in.

And I can't say I blame them. I do the same thing when I sell merchandise on the exchange. Cryptic is in the right for how they are approaching this particular aspect.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    And for all of you who are complaining about the Dil costs... Season 9.5 doesn't launch for (about) a month and a half. You can make quite a bit of Dil between now and then. Get working. Stop complaining.

And here again is the ignorant thinking that the "complaints" are all about not enough Dilithium.....

My issue has been quite the opposite for some time... I have STACKS of raw Dil that only keeps getting higher.... and only 8.5k a day that gets ground away.....
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The Good: Woo! Free crafting inventory slots! (still curious if this is per character and if/how there is anything like an account bank.)

The Bad: Elite Queues are the only way to get the 'end game' materials. (What's the point of alternative playstyles if you have to play the same stuff for that alternative playstyle? Already have a suggestion in mind, but I'll leave it for tribble forums when it lands there.)

The Murky: Dilithium Sinks - We'll have to see how desirable, and available, the crafted stuff is compared to what players are currently willing to spend Dilithium on.

The Awesome: Jeff, for wading through these comments and trying to answer questions. Thank you, sir!
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really don't get the balking at Dil being used to get crafted items in the new system. Did you REALLY think that suddenly a Free to Play game was going to put a new system in place to earn your choice of new end game equipment and divorce that system from the existing equity system? You must be confused about the place where your characters live and the one where you live. Either that or you need to up your meds, because they aren't doing their job of keeping your from being delusional anymore.

I think maybe some people are playing the wrong game and they need to find the Star Trek MMO that costs no money at all, gives away all the stuff in it for free with no work, but still gives you content updates every three months. That game is awesome, and as soon as it exists will put every one of these ones that need to make money to keep running out of business!
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Nah, they...uh...yeah, we're not allowed to discuss what they did.

But I noticed the shift in post count/post location. Wasn't sure what caused it, but that post and the replies would have covered the real estate lost.

Nothing in those posts warranted deletion. They were just discussing what will happen to the doff missions in and transwarps to exploration clusters.
    toiva wrote: »
    Umm, yes, I replied to Jheinig's post. He was saying clusters become interactible points like systems in a given sectors. Calling upon them is then supposed to offer appropriated doff assignements.

My guess is that someone merged two threads, and some posts were lost in the merge. Cryptic or PWE should look into this. Several posts, including one by a dev, have disappeared. In addition, the previous version of the thread below has disappeared.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1146751

If there is a bug in the forum software, someone should fix it.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png