What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• Options
    bobsisko47bobsisko47 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Will there still be a way to aquire the AEGIS set or perhaps an upgraded Version of it?
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Is Dilithium or any other real money currency involved with the new crafting system?

Right now it costs 5k Dil to make a Mk XI item and 20k Dil to make a Mk XII item. Those prices are subject to change pending testing on Tribble - our goal is to make it much cheaper to buy a given piece via crafting than it would be to just buy it from the Dilithium Store, since crafting requires time and effort as well.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    precharprechar Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Right now it costs 5k Dil to make a Mk XI item and 20k Dil to make a Mk XII item. Those prices are subject to change pending testing on Tribble - our goal is to make it much cheaper to buy a given piece via crafting than it would be to just buy it from the Dilithium Store, since crafting requires time and effort as well.

And with that comment the New Crafting system Dies :p
    It's your world Boss I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    (...)
    Thank you sincerely for the answers provided to everyone. It's truly appreciated.

Personally, I'm loving the new crafting direction. And these insights/details are making me (as a regular STO player) VERY comfortable with the planning that went into this revamp. Speaking only for myself, this is what the STO community needs: either a robust Q&A and/or forum engagement when major new features are added.

Again, thank you.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Thanks for answering my question Hawk. Those prices will need to be drastically reduced from that to hardly anything at all. The best scenario is no Dilithium at all..

Dilithium as well as lack of item updates killed the previous system.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited June 2014
    bobsisko47 wrote: »
    Will there still be a way to aquire the AEGIS set or perhaps an upgraded Version of it?

I guess you might want to read one of the upcoming blogs! :P
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    prechar wrote: »

Not really. As stated by Cryptic, it's a goal to be much cheaper to buy a given piece VIA CRAFTING than just buying from the Dilithium Store.

Crafting = lots of work = but ultimately cheaper than buying on the Dilithium Store. The real question is, how will this impact the Exchange? Or will crafted items be bound to characters/accounts.

Feel free to counter-argue. But what I read into the statement makes me want to do crafting moreso than just grind, grind, grind for dilithium (to spend at a Dilithium Store).
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I guess you might want to read one of the upcoming blogs! :P

Oooh!

/10char
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    prechar wrote: »

I disagree with that assertion. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay 5k Dil for a piece of Mk XI gear on an alt you're gearing up or for a new build you wanted to try out? That's pretty easily earned by playing content in the game.

I think the 20k may be a bit high for a Mk XII, but compared to the 30-40k range for buying gear out of Reputations or the Dil Store, it still feels pretty reasonable to me.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    First of all: Yay, a Dev communicating! (The last 2 or 3 weeks were like most of Cryptic disappeared into another dimension.)
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Without giving exact numbers, I can say that you will be obtaining Uncommon and Rare materials on a regular basis while playing through content or doing Duty Officer missions. You will obtain Very Rare materials on a regular basis if you participate in elite queued content. No materials are tuned to be impossible or out of reach goals.
    Wait, wait, wait... When you say 'Clusters', you mean say Delta Volanis, B'tran or Azlesa expanse? If so, how the heck does changing them to 'locations in Secor space' permit any doffing in them. Will we have to get to 0.0 LY from them to load some assignements or something. That'd be very annoying.

And what about Cell and Tuffli transwarps, would they just take us right to those spots in Sector space?

Other than that, you saying Very rare materials won't be available elsewhere in game or merely very rarely elsewhere. (Also, will those very rare materials in elite queues replace current rewards? I'd hope not.)
    There will be Mk 12 Purple gear in the system, and possibly a few Mk 12 Ultraviolet (fleet quality) pieces. We'll go into more detail on what you can make in a future blog. Does that potentially count as competitive? :)

That 'possibly' part might be nice.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    jamilenatejamilenate Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well ground set rep gear takes 9k while space set is 15 and up
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I disagree with that assertion. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay 5k Dil for a piece of Mk XI gear on an alt you're gearing up or for a new build you wanted to try out? That's pretty easily earned by playing content in the game.

I think the 20k may be a bit high for a Mk XII, but compared to the 30-40k range for buying gear out of Reputations or the Dil Store, it still feels pretty reasonable to me.

Yeah, but then "crafting" just becomes another store and we've got a lot of those already.

Crafting just shouldn't involve Dilithium; the Dilithium cost should come from the items you feed into the system to make better. I think a lot of us were expecting the new system to be a way to enhance or alter our existing gear. You know, put a Borg Shield in with some components against a recipe and hopefully get an enhanced version out.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I understand your position adjudicator. I just cannot agree with it. Considering that at 20K Dil, a crafter could only make ONE ITEM PER 3 DAYS is simply insane. Why bother when a Mk XII Rep set item like a shield costs 9k? Crafting costs need to be insignificant. And I mean that. I will not spend 20K on an item that I can buy for EC. And at 20K, its more profitable to suck up the extra cash and buy a Romulan Rep Plasma Weapon. Sure its more expensive, but the mix of procs makes it a better investment.

I'm sorry, but the entire team needs to hear this: Dilithium killed the Crafting system prior. I get offering to put crafting supplies in the C-Store. But, DO. NOT. ADD. A. DILITHIUM. COST. TO. CRAFTING.

I'm sorry, but my dilithium is torn between Reputation Gear, my fleet starbase, and saving up for Zen goodies. I do not have the resources to add crafting to that.

In other games, I'm a huge crafter. I *WANT* to be a crafter in this game. But adding an unnecessary Dilithium tax to crafting is NOT going to get anyone to want to do it. I don't care how you go about it. We simply do not have the resources.

If we're not willing to spend the Dil on Unreplicatable Materials now, what makes you think we're going to do it in this new system. If it stays in the system as a non-minor cost (aka 250 Dil or Less for the best gear) Not a single person is going to do it. Because overall, we'll come in at a loss and that's not cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The conversion isn't automated - double clicking on a particle trace will let you trade it in for new materials. You can trade in as much of your stash as you need to do whatever task you're working on. You can keep all of your traces stored in your Fleet Bank if you want - they just aren't used for anything anymore.

From a player's perspective, the best way to do this is to just provide a vendor where you can "buy" new materials for the old ones, and then make it so you can do hundreds at a time. It will be incredibly and needlessly annoying if it's done one at a time, or even 20 at a time. This has to be done in bulk.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited June 2014

5k for a mk XI does seem fair to me.

It's less than a days refining.

I don't think MK XII should be more than a couple of days refining though, so max 16k.

15k seems a fair compromise.

ETA reserve the 20k price tag for those UR items you mentioned.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait... When you say 'Clusters', you mean say Delta Volanis, B'tran or Azlesa expanse? If so, how the heck does changing them to 'locations in Secor space' permit any doffing in them. Will we have to get to 0.0 LY from them to load some assignements or something. That'd be very annoying.

And what about Cell and Tuffli transwarps, would they just take us right to those spots in Sector space?

I imagine they'll just be converted to "systems" in sector space, like what happened to the clusters that used to be where Tau Dewa is now. Fixed points on the map, instead of on the border. Need a dev to confirm this though.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

I'm confused by this statement. Are you saying that the anomalies which we used to scan in exploration clusters are being removed? The dev blog indicated that the waveform mini-game would remain.
    The waveform mini-game will still give you bonus rewards, and you can also garner materials from Duty Officer assignments that previously awarded anomalies.
    We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Does this mean that KDF officers will no longer be able to go to exploration clusters to blow up piles of tribbles? More seriously, what will happen to the daily wrapper that awards 1440 dilithium upon completing 3 missions in an exploration cluster?
    Without giving exact numbers, I can say that you will be obtaining Uncommon and Rare materials on a regular basis while playing through content or doing Duty Officer missions. You will obtain Very Rare materials on a regular basis if you participate in elite queued content. No materials are tuned to be impossible or out of reach goals.

Let me guess: Uncommon materials are needed to craft uncommon items; rare materials are needed to craft rare items; and very rare materials are needed to craft very rare items. And the drop rates for very rare materials are very low.

Can we at least get a method to upgrade materials? I think a ratio of 5 common to 1 uncommon, 5 uncommon to 1 rare, and 5 rare to 1 very rare would be reasonable. If you look at the prices of common and uncommon items on the Exchange, you will see that most are selling for about half their face value (what you would get by selling to a vendor). Unless there is a way to use common and uncommon materials to craft rare and very rare items, they will be considered worthless by most players.
    We're still experimenting with this internally. Ideally, the answer is "They can go in your bank, Account Bank, or Fleet Bank, but not in your normal inventory slots". The reasoning behind this is, it's very difficult to get an item from your normal Inventory into your Material Inventory - you have to launder it through the bank. So if materials can go into your inventory and end up there, you'll have a really hard time getting them back to the "free material bag" if you want them there instead.

You might want to test how this works with the overflow bag. I would hate for crafting materials to get stuck in the overflow bag.

Honestly, I would rather wait until I can afford Mk XII gear than spend 5k dilithium on a piece of Mk XI gear.

Off-topic: Can you or Borticus comment in this thread on fleet kits? We would appreciate some clarification.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh hey, more details about the crafting system. Hooray.

It sounds very promising so far. The removal of those outdated exploration missions has me more more intrigued. Will more exploration mechanics be furthered addressed in this update, or will that be post-9.5?
  • Options
    precharprechar Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I agree with you sentiment on 5k for an ALt but all the while Crafted MK XII gear cannot compete with Rep / Fleet gear whats the point in plowing 20k Dil into something that is inferior to other Gear in the Game and as for the Dil store People actually use that? I would be astounded if they did.

Still I take your point and will hold judgement until we see more. Side note Upset will have to restart Crafting on my Toons that are Max level Crafting I understand that Cryptic needs bums on seats to make money but even so no one likes to see all that work count for nothing :cool:
    It's your world Boss I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I can get Fleet advanced weapons for 9k dil, and rep store items for 20k dil.

The 5k dil for a mark XI purple seems reasonable, but the 20k for a MK xii is just too much.

I would say 10k dil for a mark XII (plus crafting materials if I read it correctly) would be acceptable if its fleet-equivalent.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    low risk, low reward.
    high risk, high reward.
    dilithium is welcome, but shouldn't be a requirement for crafting.

aside from different disciplines your captain can choose to specialize in, departments should play a key role. it will encourage players to seek out these players for a specific item.

just my contribution to the conversation. let's see how this new crafting system turns out.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    How many folks talking Dil costs are taking into account a Dil discount from their Fleet?

Speaking of which, will that Dil discount from a Fleet apply to Crafting?
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014

First off, I'd like to point out that if STO really, really wants to keep going down this road of "dil costs everywhere", then it absolutely needs to implement earning of Dil, everywhere.

Not just STFs. Not just certain DOff missions. Not just the content that the Devs feel should be a dil earning location instead of a mark earner or an XP earner, or a massive pile from a special event...

If Dil is to become practically the new EC, then it needs to be earned as often as EC. And that means everywhere.

Run a mission, get dil. Hang on Risa or WW for favors/trinkets/etc? Watch the Dil flow in at the same time. Basically, make it so that if you are actively engaged in gaming, anywhere on STO, for that 3-4 hour window the Metrics so desperately wish us to be on for, then we should have our 8k refining cap at the end of the session.

I mean, EC is effectively reduced to nothing but an exchange currency, and it's getting to be so "worthless" they're like rubles - takes a million to buy something that's worth a buck. Dil on the other hand, keeps showing up as a necessary currency, however, maybe 25% of the game pays out dil. Not quite fair, if you ask me...

Oh, leave the events / piles / end of mission rewards / etc., in. This way, the fleet refiner and veteran refiner (from gold/LTS) suddenly become "useful and necessary", not just a place for the rare gamer who does nothing but farm Dil...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Absolutely not. Its not worth it. Because I go pick up the Romulan Reputation System and get Mk XII Purple Romulan Plasma Weapons for free by doing dailies on New Romulus and get some Dilithium myself to boot. I may not have a choice of procs, but the thing I do daily to gain Romulan XP gives me Romulan ground weapons and Romulan Space Weapons that are SUPERIOR to most crafting and Fleet items as is.

I'm willing to spend my LTS Zen on Crafting Materials in the C-Store occasionally. I will not pay my hard earned Dilthium that should be going into my fleet's slowly developing starbase for an item that is sub-par.

That being said, I *will* pay Dilithium costs to upgrade my existing Mk XII Fleet Gear to a MK XIII or MK XIV.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You know what else is easily earned by playing content in the game? Free Mk XI items. Which means the crafted Mk XI items are vendor trash, and should therefore not have a dil cost.
    You can get purple and ultraviolet Mk XII gear for a lot less than 20k dil, plenty of examples have been given. Just because it's less expensive than gear from the dilithium store means nothing because very few people use dil store gear when they have access to fleet and reputation gear.

Yes, 5k dil and 20k dil are very easily acquired, but that doesn't change that gear as good as or better than craftable gear is less expensive. Unless there's something different about the craftable gear that makes them a viable alternative, few people will craft and we'll be right back at square one.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    The dev blog indicated that the waveform mini-game would remain.

Hes talking about exploration clusters.

Anomalies will still be on space and ground maps where you can do the minigame.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited June 2014

What about the accolades that come with them, and you realize you're also taking away a source of dilithium right? Will there be something to replace the loss of these things?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Think people need to take a look at some of the actual Dil prices for various items before getting out all bent out of shape over the amounts Hawk listed...specifically when he specifically mentioned the comparative costs. He didn't provide a detailed cost by cost comparison for items, but he did mention 20k in relation to 30-40k. I'd wait to see more details before trying to compare a current 9k cost to the 20k, when the 20k was compared to 30-40k.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would echo the sentiment that proposed dil costs aren't gonna make crafting viable.

If I'm to try a new build on an alt, why not use green Mk XI? That way I get all of the equipment needed (say 15 pieces) for a hundred thousand ECs. Definitely much cheaper than getting a single piece of purple Mk XI by crafting for 5k dil. Not to mention Purple gear will probably need some of the very rare materials, right? Then it's simply out of the question for an alt.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A couple questions.

First, will we be able to break down equipment and weapons for mats?

Second, are you going to add MK XII purple energy type consoles to crafting?

I will add that when you added a dilithium requirement to the last crafting update, I stopped crafting.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=