test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think it's viable to say that this is an improvement over the current system even in dilithium costs as VirusDancer demonstrated. It's not an ultimate solution especially to the overall dilithium problem in this game. But it will be better than what we've got.

I doubt we're going to turn Cryptic away from any dilithium cost here, but they have already stated that they're open to making adjustments and that will have to play out on Tribble I suppose.

For me, it depends on the items being crafted. Is this crafted gear sufficiently different that it will turn me away from my Advanced Fleet Phasers, my Fleet Mine RCS console, My MACO Resilient Shields and Transwarp Engine, my Fleet Core. On the balance is the time to hunt down resources, earn dilithium, and level up in the new system worth swapping out my items for the new gear? Will their be a market to purchase the gear that I'm going to build?

Currently MKXII gear is either drops from an STF, Fleet, or Bound Rep system gear. ALL Exchange Mk XII gear is either elite drops or something made from a Powered Alien Artifact. Mk XII+ crafted gear is going to completely alter that market.

So the differences are going to have to be stark and useful, but useful in a way that they work in different builds but are useless in others.

I'm interested in how that balance pans out.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Without giving exact numbers, I can say that you will be obtaining Uncommon and Rare materials on a regular basis while playing through content or doing Duty Officer missions. You will obtain Very Rare materials on a regular basis if you participate in elite queued content. No materials are tuned to be impossible or out of reach goals.

If the Exploration Clusters are going, so what is going to happen to the accolades associated with them?
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Nothing in those posts warranted deletion. They were just discussing what will happen to the doff missions in and transwarps to exploration clusters.

Might have simply been something for a future blog post, so they didn't want the info early - something like that. Basically a "leak" sort of thing they wanted to kill so the info would be there for something else? It's the only reason I could have seen for removing it...

Thing is, it did come up as part of the blog itself...so...not sure why it would have been removed. Didn't check, mind you, did the original blog get changed as well?

Think the Blog#24 thing was either an oopsie or a fake oopsie to deal with all the TRIBBLE that was there...easier to oopsie it than moderate it.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    At this point, I think no one will be happy until the game is 100% free.

Some of us pay subscriptions and are still restricted by this dilithium madness.
    And for those of us who were around before the awful dilithium tax was introduced in every facet of the game, it is extremely frustrating.
  • sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    After having waded through this entire thread up to the point where this post sits (and it was like wading through sewage-infused quicksand at times ), I have one thing to ask of those people who are curious about, asking questions of, and even kvetching about the new system ... No, I am pleading for them to do one thing:

When 9.5 lands on Tribble, TEST IT. And by test, I don't mean walk in, take a cursory glance at the system, declare that it sucks, then walk away and slam the door behind you. I mean actually test it. Work with it for an extended period of time. See not only if there are bugs with it, but how it functions in general. Then, after you've tested it, go to the feedback thread for crafting and provide CONSTRUCTIVE feedback about what you think works, what you don't think works, and how it might be improved. Just don't think something like the wholesale removal of dilithium for mk XI and XII items will happen; with a launch date of late July, it's really only the magnitude of things which can be shifted now.

Compromise is not a dirty word. The developers are not out to get you. You are just being paranoid.

plsthxbye!
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I hope that we'll be able to farm samples in the voth ground battlezone. I'll probably be spending more time there slaving away at the grind to pay for the wonderful dilithium tax.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's a fair critique on its face - the key difference is that the market demand for a good and the creator's personal demand for a good are divorced in crafting, while not divorced in reputation. Since crafted stuff is BoE, crafters are able to determine more dynamically if there is a need for a given quality of good (like Mk XI gear) and will fill the niche if and only if the demand outweighs the creation cost (the "price floor").

Basically, the crafting system can serve gear for players of any level of investment in the game, while players committed enough to participate in Reputation were functionally not interested in Mk X or XI gear at the time we removed it from the system.

I think you have the yellow part backwards. Is that a typo?
    I settle for Mk XI with the mods I want over paying the prices for Mk XII with the mods I want.

I think being able to choose our own modifiers is probably one of the most important features they can add to the crafting system.
    Might have simply been something for a future blog post, so they didn't want the info early - something like that. Basically a "leak" sort of thing they wanted to kill so the info would be there for something else? It's the only reason I could have seen for removing it...

What information did they not want leaked? What's happening to the exploration clusters? I doubt they would delete posts over something like that. I know they usually delete threads that contain exploits. I didn't see any exploits in those posts.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We've changed how Clusters work in 9.5 - they're now locations on the Sector Space map that was adjacent to them. There aren't any material harvesting interacts at these locations, but Doffing at them should now be much more convenient.

We're removing these missions in 9.5. To be honest, they were universally not up to the standard of quality that we want missions to be in the game, and they were also often where new players would go shortly after the tutorial and get lost.

Without giving exact numbers, I can say that you will be obtaining Uncommon and Rare materials on a regular basis while playing through content or doing Duty Officer missions. You will obtain Very Rare materials on a regular basis if you participate in elite queued content. No materials are tuned to be impossible or out of reach goals.

You've made Tufflis and Suliban Cell Ships useless with this change.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What information did they not want leaked? What's happening to the exploration clusters? I doubt they would delete posts over something like that. I know they usually delete threads that contain exploits. I didn't see any exploits in those posts.

They probably don't want things to get too far off course in this thread when there's an exceedingly good chance that the exploration cluster changes will be discussed in another blog entry with its own forum thread.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sethpc wrote: »
    When 9.5 lands on Tribble, TEST IT. And by test, I don't mean walk in, take a cursory glance at the system, declare that it sucks, then walk away and slam the door behind you. I mean actually test it. Work with it for an extended period of time. See not only if there are bugs with it, but how it functions in general. Then, after you've tested it, go to the feedback thread for crafting and provide CONSTRUCTIVE feedback about what you think works, what you don't think works, and how it might be improved. Just don't think something like the wholesale removal of dilithium for mk XI and XII items will happen; with a launch date of late July, it's really only the magnitude of things which can be shifted now.

Then after you test it, submit bug reports with precise step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce it, have personal conversations with QA who affirm these bugs exist and are documented...

... then you get to deal with Cryptic board meetings deciding what bugs can be 'tolerated' and what bugs can not. The real horrible compromise I've dealt with in terms of testing things on Tribble is that the Producers are so dead-set on releasing builds as soon as humanly possible, that they simply do not care that massive bugs are in it, no matter how many are reported, verified, and documented.

To the Producers of STO, they really do not care if you are inconvenienced or frustrated on patch day due to bugs they are already aware of, and were already made aware of when it was on Tribble. They just want it out there, and they want you and me and everybody else to 'suck it up' if things are broken, up until the developers get around to fixing it.

If they get around to fixing it.

That's the 'compromise' that's a dirty word. It isn't that there are bugs in the game, it's that the gatekeepers of STO tolerate far too many blatant and vulgar bugs for the sake of launching the build asap.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2014

Wasn't it a case of deleting Jesse's post and the posts that quoted Jesse's post? Thus the issue was with Jesse's post?
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 695 Arc User
    edited June 2014

While I understand the reasoning and I certainly agree that the exploration missions reflect badly on the rest of the game, this still makes me very sad. There is something very... well, very Star Trek about flying in uncharted space never quite knowing what you'll find. Even though I now know all the mission formulas by heart, and even though the brokenness of the missions can be frustrating, I still just enjoy the fact that I'm facing something different each time I enter an unknown system. Even now, sometimes, when I'm in the right mood/mindset, I can still suspend my disbelief, and lose myself in the voyage.

I'm gonna miss that.

I hope that y'all at Cryptic are still planning that exploration revamp. I'm sure you can make something that's way better than the current system, and I look forward to seeing it. Just... please, don't just cut the premise of "exploring strange new worlds" out of the game completely.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sethpc wrote: »
    They probably don't want things to get too far off course in this thread when there's an exceedingly good chance that the exploration cluster changes will be discussed in another blog entry with its own forum thread.

Maybe, but I've never seen them delete posts for such a reason before.
    Wasn't it a case of deleting Jesse's post and the posts that quoted Jesse's post? Thus the issue was with Jesse's post?

It's possible that Jesse deleted his own post, and the other posts referencing it were automatically deleted.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My one hope for this system was to either not have a Dilithium cost, or to not have them absurd.

Hopes dashed, as usual. Not ONLY still there, but near DOUBLE the cost of most of Reputation Di Store gear. And look, exclusive stuff that can only be gotten by sinking tons of Dilithium into it. "Give us money or wait days on end."

I remember, pre-Season 5, STOked got a Dev on (I think it was Geko, but I could be wrong). The dev said that the refining cap was to help artificially control inflation by limiting supply. Well guess what? YOU HAVE FAILED. You wanted to limit inflation. I've taken Macro-Economics, so let me explain some Econ-technobabble here:

Increasing demand without increasing supply causes currency value to go up. People want more, but they can't have it. Know what happens? Consumer interest drops. Demand drops. Your economy collapses. Unless supply and demand can keep up with each other, your market destabilizes.

You released Dilithium shortly before Season 5. That was two and a half years ago. Let's look at what you've released since that costs Dilithium:
    • Dilithium Store (end-game items costing nearly 20k and not being worth half that)
    • Fleet Projects (Embassy TIER 1 requires 300k, and some projects cost MILLIONS)
    • Fleet Store (up to and including 60k Di items)
    • Crafting (Dilithium was added to the system when it was introduced, making the lakluster Aegis set cost 58k Di and having most other end-game utems cost 20-25k while being beaten by Rep items)
    • Duty Officers (most Recruitment projects cost Dilithium - up to a thousand refined a pop)
    • FIVE different Reputations, all with high Di costs for Set gear (with costs ranging from 9k to 40k)
    • Reputation Stores (with ground costs at 12k and Space costs at 29k)
    Add onto THAT the Dilithium Exchange and ZEN demand... and you get a system with massive demand and an artificially capped supply that you seem unwilling to raise to even a reasonable level to accommodate that demand, with the only other ways to do it giving an extra pittance per day (and with the Mine refiner being superior to the Vet one, which is insulting to Veterans). So PLEASE, Cryptic... It's about bloody time to raise the Refining cap.

I propose thus: Silvers get a 12k cap. Gold gets 14k, Lifers get 15k. Veteran Refiner becomes similar to the Mine refiner (No DOffs, 5 seconds instead of a Geo and a Tech taking two days), but doing 750 instead of 500. And, if you really wanna make money on it... Put Refining Cap increases in the C-Store with a max at about 20k. You make money, players can refine more, small fleets aren't choked as bad because of absurd Di costs. EVERYBODY wins. It provides incentive to subscribe, but isn't detrimental to Silvers (who would still get a 4k boost anyway). And, it allows people slightly easier access to the new shinies you add every season. Because every season, there's a new Rep. Most seasons, there's a new Holding. If you continue to add Dilithium sinks, Dilithium ceases to be a gameplay reward and becomes an extra grind and hassle. You are no longer rewarding players for playing the game, you're railroading them into certain content to be able to do ANYTHING. Frankly, the refining process makes no sense from a canon standpoint (the governments of three nations pay their officers in raw materials - would be as if the US Army paid its soldiers in various metal ores instead of the coins they're later minted into and expecting the officers to mint the coins themselves), but I understand it as a game mechanic. It's just not a terribly GOOD one.
    edited June 2014
    icegavel wrote: »
    My one hope for this system was to either not have a Dilithium cost, or to not have them absurd.

Hopes dashed, as usual. Not ONLY still there, but near DOUBLE the cost of most of Reputation Di Store gear.

Have they presented us with a complete list of the Dilithium costs? No? Okay then...
    Did they present a comparison of costs between 20k vs. 30-40k? Yes? Okay then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Even if the game was 100% free, people would still be unhappy.

Cryptic could send every player a stack of $20 bills in the mail and players would complain the serial numbers on the bills weren't sequential.

I found it very funny that when I read this post your Post Count was 2345 :D
    sunseahl wrote: »
    And here again is the ignorant thinking that the "complaints" are all about not enough Dilithium.....

My issue has been quite the opposite for some time... I have STACKS of raw Dil that only keeps getting higher.... and only 8.5k a day that gets ground away.....

I'd have this problem if I hadn't bought more character slots awhile back. Having a few alts to go tinker about with when one of my characters is filled with dilithium and necessary Rep Marks for a few days really helps with this issue. Plus, it improves the rate at which you can pick up doffs for your Fleet. That's how I dealt with the problem anyway; YMMV.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    edited June 2014
    Have they presented us with a complete list of the Dilithium costs? No? Okay then...
    Did they present a comparison of costs between 20k vs. 30-40k? Yes? Okay then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

*ahem*
    Right now it costs 5k Dil to make a Mk XI item and 20k Dil to make a Mk XII item. Those prices are subject to change pending testing on Tribble - our goal is to make it much cheaper to buy a given piece via crafting than it would be to just buy it from the Dilithium Store, since crafting requires time and effort as well.

You were saying?

I am only thankful that prices are subject to change, because it needs to go DOWN. Spire Tac consoles cost at MAX about 9k. We'll be able to make Mk XII purple consoles like you see on the Exchange... for 20k. Twice the cost of a Fleet item, with LESS stats.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If I hadn't been in these forums since pre-beta I'd be surprised at the number of people lobbying to get Fleet/Rep equivalent gear at zero Dilithium cost, but much loonier things have happened in that time that basic goold old fashioned greed is hardly shocking.
    edited June 2014
    You were saying?

Well, it's not so much as what I was saying - which was polite - but all the things the mods would hate for me to say...
    I disagree with that assertion. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay 5k Dil for a piece of Mk XI gear on an alt you're gearing up or for a new build you wanted to try out? That's pretty easily earned by playing content in the game.

I think the 20k may be a bit high for a Mk XII, but compared to the 30-40k range for buying gear out of Reputations or the Dil Store, it still feels pretty reasonable to me.

...so I won't say anything further, just leave you to your whining.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, sounds good. I just wonder about some of the accolades and special DOFF missions that use the current system...

Otherwise, I like this.
  • valiant797valiant797 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2014

So, how does that affect the USS Doffmobile, aka the Tuffli Freighter? Part of the appeal of it was that it could transwarp to the various clusters. Is its transwarp changing?
    <signature under reconstruction>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want cheap commodities? Yeah you do. Commodity Cheat Sheet (includes food and data samples)

Want to make the game better? Might I suggest this form
    edited June 2014
    Well, it's not so much as what I was saying - which was polite - but all the things the mods would hate for me to say...

I read that post from Adjucator on my tablet when he posted it. I got odd looks from people around me then I accidentally vocalized "the hell I would" in a room full of people playing Apples to Apples and weren't discussing anything the phrase would apply to. I wouldn't spend ANY Dilithium to gear an alt - ESPECIALLY on an experimental build, where the Di could very easily be a waste. I'm in a Fleet of... about 4 or 5 max active players. My FLEET needs my Dilithium. I'm not going to waste it gearing an alt when I can dump some EC on passable gear on the Exchange and get the alt to the point where he can get the really GOOD gear.

I'm not whining. I'm proving a point.
    edited June 2014

Well, that sucketh mightily.

I just hope that you're introducing an exploration revamp as part of the expansion...
    Crafting inventory will stay with you, so you can look at it whenever you want, but it doens't take up any of your normal inventory slots.

This...could be interesting.
    edited June 2014
    I read that post from Adjucator on my tablet when he posted it.

So you read the post discussing the costs being half that of the Rep Store...yet posted that the costs were double that of the Rep Store anyway?

Okay then...
    edited June 2014
    Right now it costs 5k Dil to make a Mk XI item and 20k Dil to make a Mk XII item. Those prices are subject to change pending testing on Tribble - our goal is to make it much cheaper to buy a given piece via crafting than it would be to just buy it from the Dilithium Store, since crafting requires time and effort as well.

This is going to blow right up in your face.

Just flipping through this thread, the outrage has already started.
    I disagree with that assertion. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay 5k Dil for a piece of Mk XI gear on an alt you're gearing up or for a new build you wanted to try out? That's pretty easily earned by playing content in the game.

I think the 20k may be a bit high for a Mk XII, but compared to the 30-40k range for buying gear out of Reputations or the Dil Store, it still feels pretty reasonable to me.

Correct. My alts are for dil farming and for just playing for fun. I'm only trying to push the boundaries of DPS and such on my Fed's Avenger and my Rommie's Scimitar. Everything else is as cheap as I could get it.

Also, there is no way in heck that anyone's going to pay 20k dil plus days of work for a regular, non-set MK 12 purple when you can get a rep item for 40k that's got better stats AND a set bonus, or a fleet ultra-rare that's even more outlandishly powerful.

Thank you VERY much for your honesty, though. It and your straight answers are VERY much appreciated, even though I'm not a huge fan of the content of said answers.
    edited June 2014
    So you read the post discussing the costs being half that of the Rep Store...yet posted that the costs were double that of the Rep Store anyway?

Okay then...

Three days ago, I bought a Romulan Plasma Pulsewave Assault Mk XII [CrtX]x2.

It cost me 11,000 Dilithium, which I afforded with my stipend.

20,000 is not half of 11,000. Do you even play this game?
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Not at launch, but it is something that I hope to add later. I've set up all the items you create to "know" what it took to make them, so that in the future we can hopefully look that up and give you some of the materials back....

If the system is not fully ready for a launch in 9.5 for the love of god please do not launch a half system. I really would prefer if it was launched as a full system because past history tells me that it will stay in a half state for at least a year.

Second, I am not sure how I feel about more monitization of the crafting system. Will dilithium costs be removed? If so, the I can see the Zen use as a shortcut so long as the acquisition rates of very rare mats is not so low that "paying " is the only option. IF that is the case it is no more than an extended random lockbox system rather than even a semi-true MMO crafting system.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Three days ago, I bought a Romulan Plasma Pulsewave Assault Mk XII [CrtX]x2.

It cost me 11,000 Dilithium, which I afforded with my stipend.

20,000 is not half of 11,000. Do you even play this game?

Not every item is going to cost 20k, just like every piece does not cost 11k now. Rep store space gear costs 43k base, so obviously the 20k price was referring to that. The ground gear, if it costs 11k in the rep store, would likely end up being between 5 and 6k.
    edited June 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Also, there is no way in heck that anyone's going to pay 20k dil plus days of work for a regular, non-set MK 12 purple when you can get a rep item for 40k that's got better stats AND a set bonus, or a fleet ultra-rare that's even more outlandishly powerful.

There's no stats on what the crafted gear will actually have - so one can't make any sort of comparison yet...outside of the following tidbit that Hawk shared:
    Oh, there's definitely something different about craftable gear. But today we're only supposed to be talking about materials!

Craftable gear has unique procs that can only be found via the crafting system.
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There is no Dilithium cost to create items of Mk X or below. There are very minor EC costs, less than or equal to half the cost of buying the item off of a vendor.

So what you seem to be saying here is that there will be dilithium AND zen costs now to crafting??