test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ceekayzero wrote: »
    So what will the new cost of a Mk XII Assimilated Set deflector be after these changes?

If I had my guess, the Dil and Marks stay the same, but the Borg Implant costs get lopped in half to 5 instead of 10
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey gang,

We have added some updated information regarding the Borg Rep System functions to the OP Blog Post. make sure to check out these additions.

Thanks everybody! :)
    ~CaptainSmirk

Hey Smirk,

Hope your Vacay was a good one... It's been a few days since I read the original post... can I assume the edits are at the end of the blog? Trying to tell the new from the old. Thanks for the update.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • pet1e86pet1e86 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    Hey Smirk,

Hope your Vacay was a good one... It's been a few days since I read the original post... can I assume the edits are at the end of the blog? Trying to tell the new from the old. Thanks for the update.

From what i recall just the last bit is changed. (STF Rewards)
    Borg STF Rewards

One thing we’ve wanted to improve in STO is that every time a player queues up for an STF, there is no clear indication of what rewards will be earned at the end. There are base rewards and a chance to improve them by completing optional objectives, but beyond that there is also a chance to “jackpot” extra rewards. Sometimes you earn extra Borg Neural Processors, other times it is extra Omega Marks; sometimes you earn a piece of gear and yet other times the only rewards are the base rewards. Extra rewards have never been a problem, but they do cause confusion.

While updating the Borg STF rewards to include the new Daily Bonus Marks we wanted to remove this randomness. Furthermore, this provided us with an opportunity to further our mission in this reputation system redesign to make all reputations work in similar ways so that experiences in one can easily translate to another.

In our Season 9 update, you’ll notice that all the base rewards are remaining the same, as are the rewards for completing optional objectives. What is changing is that extra rewards found in the “jackpot” are now just inherently earned:

The chance for a piece of gear is being replaced by a guaranteed piece of gear. The chances of receiving the best possible piece of gear (such as the Very Rare Mark XII’s from Elite mode) are exactly the same as before.

The chance for extra Omega Marks is being replaced by the Daily Bonus Marks that are earned for the first play of a STF (or other Omega Reputation content) per day. This large, guaranteed, lump sum of Omega Marks dwarfs all the previous potential jackpots.

The chance for extra Borg Neural Processors is being removed; however, the related costs of all reputation projects are being decreased accordingly. The end result is that Borg Neural Processors will drop at a rate similar to Voth Cybernetic Implants and the Task Force Omega reputation projects will require the same amount of these elite rewards to the Dyson Joint Command projects.

Hopefully all these changes will increase the transparency of the STF rewards without altering the rewards too much (and those that have changed, are changed for the better).
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey gang,

We have added some updated information regarding the Borg Rep System functions to the OP Blog Post. make sure to check out these additions.

~CaptainSmirk

This really does not help veteran players much as most already have the gear. Yeah it may be cheaper to get it on "all" your alts but it still does not remove the fact you have nerfed what people have worked hard for without really replacing it. This whole update, changes to the rep system (which are good) and nerfing the rewards, is completely for "New" players.

So if you want constructive feedback...What are you going to do for all the veteran players that spent a great deal of time grinding out these reps? Here is more...

The rep systems should be treated as conduits that open up more challenging raids. One for each level of rep then three or four when a rep system is completed. These missions should be exclusive to those who have completed tier 5 of the rep system. Otherwise it is pretty silly to grind away on minimal content to get gear to help you grind away on that minimal content only to finish and have the best gear to grind away on that minimal content. It is a circular system. Now if we got that better gear and got to use it in more challenging content (I mean prototypical raids) then there is a real reason to go through with the system. A real need for the gear.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey gang,

~CaptainSmirk

So instead of having a chance to gain 115 or so marks total from say, ISE, it is being replaced with bonus marks we can earn only once per day? This means an overall reduction in the amount of omega marks we can get in space STFs, and the reputation ship sets cost a lot, i.e., the Adapted MACO/KHG ship sets cost 1,000 omega marks PER PIECE, for a total of 3,000 marks for a complete set. Reducing the chance to earn bonus marks means the grind will be more excruciating. An extra 30 marks or so once per day isn't going to cut it when we have currently have a chance to get a total of 115 marks or so each time we do an elite space STF. :(
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey gang,

~CaptainSmirk

Great to see you back, Smirk!
    Borg STF Rewards

One thing we’ve wanted to improve in STO is that every time a player queues up for an STF, there is no clear indication of what rewards will be earned at the end. There are base rewards and a chance to improve them by completing optional objectives, but beyond that there is also a chance to “jackpot” extra rewards. Sometimes you earn extra Borg Neural Processors, other times it is extra Omega Marks; sometimes you earn a piece of gear and yet other times the only rewards are the base rewards. Extra rewards have never been a problem, but they do cause confusion.

In our Season 9 update, you’ll notice that all the base rewards are remaining the same, as are the rewards for completing optional objectives. What is changing is that extra rewards found in the “jackpot” are now just inherently earned:
    This should be good. Although, I like the random bonus neural processors myself.
    The chance for a piece of gear is being replaced by a guaranteed piece of gear. The chances of receiving the best possible piece of gear (such as the Very Rare Mark XII’s from Elite mode) are exactly the same as before.

The chance for extra Omega Marks is being replaced by the Daily Bonus Marks that are earned for the first play of a STF (or other Omega Reputation content) per day. This large, guaranteed, lump sum of Omega Marks dwarfs all the previous potential jackpots.
    I like this all VERY much. More marks for the same work is unquestionably a good thing.
    The chance for extra Borg Neural Processors is being removed; however, the related costs of all reputation projects are being decreased accordingly. The end result is that Borg Neural Processors will drop at a rate similar to Voth Cybernetic Implants and the Task Force Omega reputation projects will require the same amount of these elite rewards to the Dyson Joint Command projects.
    In two minds about this; I LIKE the current random-bonus mechanic, because it gives me a nice, easy way to get big lump sums of dilithium (from ESTF Completion rep projects), but I agree that this should help simplify things.
    Hopefully all these changes will increase the transparency of the STF rewards without altering the rewards too much (and those that have changed, are changed for the better).
    Sounds alright to me, Jeff. Thank you!
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey gang,

~CaptainSmirk

So, basically, 211+ pages of player base problems especially from veterans with the limit 4/4/4 is ignored. Excellent.

Classic Cryptic! What's a nice way to tell Cryptic to buzz off.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, basically, 211+ pages of player base problems especially from veterans with the limit 4/4/4 is ignored. Excellent.

You don't speak for everyone. There are also quite a few vet players that are quite fine with 4/4/4 and even some of us that think they could have went further and not buffed any of the traits at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014

You inspired me Viv! You brought back the OLD Superchum! And I'm now on a crusade to end Cryptic slapping us all in the face! Check it!
    This really does not help veteran players much

I think they might actually be trying to move vets out of ISE for once. Weird I know but ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    I think they might actually be trying to move vets out of ISE for once. Weird I know but ...

This does seem like a change that will reduce the amount of quick Dilihitum you can earn by playing the STFs and converting all the marks and processors. Still I guess I don't blame them for wanting to move us to newer content... I know myself I just wished all the newer content wasn't such a bad collection of set timer missions. Not an unexpected change really... honest was sort of shocked they didn't nerf the STF rewards into the ground long ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You inspired me Viv! You brought back the OLD Superchum! And I'm now on a crusade to end Cryptic slapping us all in the face! Check it!

They might be, but there is a better way to do it. I mean, really would prefer if the system overall was not circular in implementation. By design it is a good system and good idea. Something at the end of the tunnel besides..."You can now do all the content you just did more efficiently/better."
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

LMAO this post made my night... Wow, a nice dose of reality there. I'll be sure to keep my wallet closed for a while.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    atlantra wrote: »
    LMAO this post made my night... Wow, a nice dose of reality there. I'll be sure to keep my wallet closed for a while.
    That's reality? Interesting, it seems to me that that was just someone who's upset they're not getting their way...
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
    edited April 2014
    Y'know, I love how people sling around the term "veteran" like it automatically means they have immense power in the game.

I got a perfect quote for that: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Y'know, I love how people sling around the term "veteran" like it automatically means they have immense power in the game.

I got a perfect quote for that: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

What are you talking about? Really.

I'm about average.. If you don't realize the change in the revamp actually makes some builds stronger instead of weaker. Instead of Cryptic making it 8/8/4 people could do uber-numbers. Additionally, testing on Tribble shown the content still don't match the level of Elite players.

These are some videos I did stripped of Bridge Officers(so no stacking), 2 doff for torpedoes, 2 cannons, and 1 subsystem, and no stacking of damage consoles. I did get killed on the end of the borg parts but I was going to work so. I just wanted to see how fast I can take out cubes while be fired upon by other cubes and spheres. Ironically it's still simple to pop ships. So, I see no need to do future reputation systems. I would not have done this with the older reputation system maxed but now I'm going do 2 man STF's with a friend. If they did 8/8/4 they do not have to buff a single trait. Thats totally different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9SjhX0Guq8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbZl6g6vZwE

Like we been saying this revamp is bad although it only caps players who earned all rep 5 to 50% of the usable abilities which counts to not much.

In the videos, I did not do any power creep tactics and playing at elite. I was still able to run through the content.
    edited April 2014
    What are you talking about? Really.

I'm about average.. If you don't realize the change in the revamp actually makes some builds stronger instead of weaker. Instead of Cryptic making it 8/8/4 people could do uber-numbers. Additionally, testing on Tribble shown the content still don't match the level of Elite players.

These are some videos I did stripped of Bridge Officers(so no stacking), 2 doff for torpedoes, 2 cannons, and 1 subsystem, and no stacking of damage consoles. I did get killed on the end of the borg parts but I was going to work so. I just wanted to see how fast I can take out cubes while be fired upon by other cubes and spheres. Ironically it's still simple to pop ships. So, I see no need to do future reputation systems. I would not have done this with the older reputation system maxed but now I'm going do 2 man STF's with a friend. If they did 8/8/4 the did not have to buff a single trait. Thats totally different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9SjhX0Guq8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbZl6g6vZwE

Like we been saying this revamp is bad although it only caps players who earned all rep 5 to 50% of the usable abilities which counts to not much.

In the videos, I did not do any power creep tactics and playing at elite. I was still able to run through the content.

No, no, no, I'm not talking about power as in DPS. I'm talking about power as in clout. A lot of players are sitting here saying "Think of the veterans!"as if they're hoping that because they've played here a lot equals they can change things by putting their foot down and going "NO!"

I'll admit something: while I have been trumpeting that the change is good, I honestly don't care about the change. I didn't come to STO to worry about my DPS. I'll hit a few posts and see what works and what doesn't, but ultimately, I came here to fly around in a starship with a crew of aliens and shoot stuff while pretending my crew's having all of these other non-shooty adventures in-between.

And honestly? I think that's how everyone should be.

BTW: I'm impressed with that sort of skill. That's something I'll never be able to pull off.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The chance for extra Borg Neural Processors is being removed; however, the related costs of all reputation projects are being decreased accordingly.

I don't like this. BNPs were good for more then just purchasing gear. The chance at 11 BNPs worked out to an extra 2000 dilithium. It would make the grind for my 8000 cap a bit easier now and then.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    I don't like this. BNPs were good for more then just purchasing gear. The chance at 11 BNPs worked out to an extra 2000 dilithium. It would make the grind for my 8000 cap a bit easier now and then.

Pretty much guarantee the BNP turn in will be mirrored like the dyson turn in of 3/1000.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Veteran...of the game! I myself have been playing and paying here a long time before PWE slid in, and certainly a lot longer then ARC's big push to power! I'm not asking for a high seat, but I shouldnt be kicked outta the way for new players ether!

http://catstarsto.deviantart.com/art/What-ARC-did-for-me-442935924
    edited April 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    Veteran...of the game! I myself have been playing and paying here a long time before PWE slid in, and certainly a lot longer then ARC's big push to power! I'm not asking for a high seat, but I shouldnt be kicked outta the way for new players ether!

http://catstarsto.deviantart.com/art/What-ARC-did-for-me-442935924

You are not being pushed anywhere. Look the system over and use the noddle that sits on top of your shoulders. New players are helped by this, if it makes you feel better they won't be anywhere close to =. So relax you are still special until someone else spends the same amount of time as you playing the game. You are a very special snowflake, don't worry yourself precious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Pretty much guarantee the BNP turn in will be mirrored like the dyson turn in of 3/1000.

They are on the tribble test server; 3 BNP = 1,000 dil.
    edited April 2014
    You are not being pushed anywhere. Look the system over and use the noddle that sits on top of your shoulders. New players are helped by this, if it makes you feel better they won't be anywhere close to =. So relax you are still special until someone else spends the same amount of time as you playing the game. You are a very special snowflake, don't worry yourself precious.

If you had been following my concerns, and efforts to stop a mandatory ARC launcher from replacing my own, you would know my concerns are just and my answer didnt warrant a demeaning comment. It was funny, but unnecessary. ARC doesnt really help much, the old way was better, they have assigned a whole team to help fix bugs and to assist players to adjust to something that wasent really needed or wanted to begin with anyways...like I pointed out many times, the whole mess is just so they can add on their little program to watch you, everything else is just wind and vane diversions.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014

I'll explain what it means just so there's no misunderstanding.

In STO the term 'veteran' relates to either a gold subscriber that has played the game for at least 1000 days if not more which means that they've have probably been playing since before it went F2P! or they're a lifetime subscriber which means one of three things 1/ see the previous comment about the gold subscribers 2/ They actually know the game and what they're talking about or 3/ They've got entirely too much money to throw around.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

edited April 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    If you had been following my concerns, and efforts to stop a mandatory ARC launcher from replacing my own, you would know my concerns are just and my answer didnt warrant a demeaning comment. It was funny, but unnecessary. ARC doesnt really help much, the old way was better, they have assigned a whole team to help fix bugs and to assist players to adjust to something that wasent really needed or wanted to begin with anyways...like I pointed out many times, the whole mess is just so they can add on their little program to watch you, everything else is just wind and vane diversions.

Well I assumed your response had more to do with the rep change. Agree with you completely on ARC complete bs. The animated gif is pretty darn funny.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm about average.. If you don't realize the change in the revamp actually makes some builds stronger instead of weaker.
    That's not the point. It wouldn't matter if the change made all builds stronger. What it does is it removes the only guaranteed reward for doing rep.

Instead of "of course I'll do the new rep, for those little passive bonuses if nothing else" it becomes "I wonder if there's anything worth bothering about in the new rep."
    edited April 2014
    Well I assumed your response had more to do with the rep change. Agree with you completely on ARC complete bs. The animated gif is pretty darn funny.

Well im not too happy about that ether, but ill pick up the pieces of whats left and see what I have to work with once its put into place. "Darn Nerfers...(grumbles)"

lol, reminds me of Nanna stacking those blocks in the movie peter pan (Disney version) every time she would get em built up the way she wanted, someone would come knock em down and she would have to start all over again.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    If the related reputation projects get cheaper, doesn't that also include the dilithium projects?

I advise check the values on Tribble once they are adjusted (if they ar enot already) and then decide whether you spend your BNPs now or wait until Season 9 comes. It oculd very well be that grinding BNPs now and waiting to use them in Season 9 might give you the most bang for your buck.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If the related reputation projects get cheaper, doesn't that also include the dilithium projects?

I advise check the values on Tribble once they are adjusted (if they ar enot already) and then decide whether you spend your BNPs now or wait until Season 9 comes. It oculd very well be that grinding BNPs now and waiting to use them in Season 9 might give you the most bang for your buck.

The history with STO is the opposite usually and in the past 100% guaranteed if you spend them before the season patch you will get more out of them than if you wait till the next season. Hundreds of players who enjoyed elite ground stfs quit playing this game as of Season 7 the last big nerf to stfs.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    That's not the point. It wouldn't matter if the change made all builds stronger. What it does is it removes the only guaranteed reward for doing rep.

Instead of "of course I'll do the new rep, for those little passive bonuses if nothing else" it becomes "I wonder if there's anything worth bothering about in the new rep."

It gives you a different guaranteed reward, however:
    1) For every project you start succesfully, you will get gear from the rep store. That's a new, guaranteed reward you get even if you don't complete the whole thing.
    2) You unlock a choice for your reputation ability slots - and you can switch between the different ones for free. That means if you picked poorly or want to test a different reputation ability, it doesn't cost you to change it anything
    3) You don't need to pay to unlock rep stores anymore. That's no help to reputations where you alraedy did all that, but it is great for all the ones you didn't, including the new one that is coming around.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited April 2014
    It gives you a different guaranteed reward, however:
    1) For every project you start succesfully, you will get gear from the rep store. That's a new, guaranteed reward you get even if you don't complete the whole thing.
    2) You unlock a choice for your reputation ability slots - and you can switch between the different ones for free. That means if you picked poorly or want to test a different reputation ability, it doesn't cost you to change it anything
    3) You don't need to pay to unlock rep stores anymore. That's no help to reputations where you alraedy did all that, but it is great for all the ones you didn't, including the new one that is coming around.

I think the problem is that many have already put in the effort for a reward/s, and will now loose it. I understand not everyone currently has finished their Tier reps, but isnt it kinda mean and unfair to have people jump through all the hoops to get the rewards they offered, then take it back?
This discussion has been closed.