test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• muhadeebmuhadeeb Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Bleeding hell!

sorry about the bleeding hell im raging after the testing again im sorry for it lol
  • nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    muhadeeb wrote: »
    well numbers are in on this testing on tribble 1. power creep has not been addressed. takeing the traits did absolutely nothing to help it. as a matter of fact with nerf to borg set aux2 batt is better [who woulda thunk huh ] not gonna post page full of numbers lets just say we have been totally duped. 2. guys we have a gentleman here [hawk] who has less than 11 hrs in his starship putting these changes in with his team im sorry but with 11 hrs in his ship he is not qualified to go through a buff rotation much less fix power creep I don't care what kind of itt tech degree he has. 3. something u should know hawk really not a single person that is a vet gives a dam about your new undine rep or battle zone we want our friggin game fixed right and now. not on your time frame but ours. shelve these changes as they do not work and they never will the whole problem with the creep we now know for sure is mostly in the doffs [stacking] when I put this info on tribble the cryptic forum plant tried to smooth it over by saying its a work in progress BS they put it on there and it addresses nothing guys Nothing they are making the vets pay for their bad desighn vet rep should be left alone period. cryptic if this goes live in any form ur gonna push the remaining vets that are left in the game away for good sooooo sad

In other words...this Reputation nerf sucks and all it does is take things away from the players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • muhadeebmuhadeeb Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    YES all it does is take from players
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Well if they like to think they're stopping people minimal-manning STF's and what not then I'm afraid to say it won't make a jot of difference. Proper teamwork is what makes stuff work not gear or passives.

I still think you're wrong to do this, there's no need for it and for people who don't have the luxury of running in decent teams every passive is well earned and appreciated, so you can all go please yourselves that this is a good idea.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    YES all it does is take from players

I didn't get that from your post. Your post said the creep wasn't addressed. So what was taken away?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I didn't get that from your post. Your post said the creep wasn't addressed. So what was taken away?

12 rep slots.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    12 rep slots.

But as noted by people testing, the buffs make a lot of people more powerful. So I fail to understand the rage. Is it because this didn't address power creep and people got more powerful? Or is it because this is a huge nerf?

See here's the thing.

If the feedback comes in and it's split like that. Split by a variety of posters who say "I got better" and others who say "I got nerfed" ... then that tells the devs it's fine.

If it's even more insane feedback where the SAME post says "I got more powerful" but "This is such a huge nerf" ... then the devs are going to think that it's fine and that some of the people posting are crazy.

So ... is this a huge nerf? Or will min maxxers be getting more powerful? If it's both, then the devs are going to think they hit their mark. And the testing is showing that it's both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So ... is this a huge nerf? Or will min maxxers be getting more powerful? If it's both, then the devs are going to think they hit their mark. And the testing is showing that it's both.

Schroedinger's Nerf.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Ground, says this in the description:

It's space, as I said in my post.

Like I originally said, most of these images and descriptions are temporary place holders. The description was updated on Tribble yesterday, here is a new shot of the description.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff233/khamseen_air/bioshieldgen_zps43065984.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    But as noted by people testing, the buffs make a lot of people more powerful. So I fail to understand the rage. Is it because this didn't address power creep and people got more powerful? Or is it because this is a huge nerf?

See here's the thing.

If the feedback comes in and it's split like that. Split by a variety of posters who say "I got better" and others who say "I got nerfed" ... then that tells the devs it's fine.

If it's even more insane feedback where the SAME post says "I got more powerful" but "This is such a huge nerf" ... then the devs are going to think that it's fine and that some of the people posting are crazy.

I am just going to love the forums during the first few weeks of this going live - why?

1) We will finally get the uber DPS guys posting "Infected Space Elite - Gone in 60 Seconds!!"

2)"I finally Hit 100k DPS!!"

3) A Hundred Plus+++ rage threads because people will be blowing up in pugs every few seconds because they are not used to healing and have had higher DR then before. Of course everyone will probably pick all the offensive traits which will make this problem 100x worse.

Got the popcorn ready!! It's going to be entertaining!!

P.S - I am against the changes - at least they could have made it 5/5 - but at this point I don't see much changing before going live - so Meh:(
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Schroedinger's Nerf.
    What about Burf? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2014
    well numbers are in on this testing on tribble 1. power creep has not been addressed. takeing the traits did absolutely nothing to help it. as a matter of fact with nerf to borg set aux2 batt is better [who woulda thunk huh ] not gonna post page full of numbers lets just say we have been totally duped. 2. guys we have a gentleman here [hawk] who has less than 11 hrs in his starship putting these changes in with his team im sorry but with 11 hrs in his ship he is not qualified to go through a buff rotation much less fix power creep I don't care what kind of itt tech degree he has. 3. something u should know hawk really not a single person that is a vet gives a dam about your new undine rep or battle zone we want our friggin game fixed right and now. not on your time frame but ours. shelve these changes as they do not work and they never will the whole problem with the creep we now know for sure is mostly in the doffs [stacking] when I put this info on tribble the cryptic forum plant tried to smooth it over by saying its a work in progress BS they put it on there and it addresses nothing guys Nothing they are making the vets pay for their bad desighn vet rep should be left alone period. cryptic if this goes live in any form ur gonna push the remaining vets that are left in the game away for good sooooo sad

Y'know, rereading this, I have a feeling that this is someone who opted to pile on all of the attack rep passives and nothing else. Of course the creep hasn't been fixed because you haven't been challenged yet. How about this: go back, give us the numbers and not your word and, while you're at it, go play PVP - I want to know if your massive power came at a price.

Also, I love how he's "Cryptic fix it NAO on MY time not YOURS!"
  • vipers69plus1vipers69plus1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Why would players want to be like that? It doesn't make any sense. I'd think that players just want to play with their pals without a big grind wall. If I'm wrong, I'd like to at least understand why.

Its easy to see they want to play that way they just don't want to invest the time and effort that the vets have put into it. Instead they do all their crying on the forums to please nerf or that it should be made easier to get cuz its really hard!!!!! But they want it alright all on the backs of VET players. But its all good in six to nine months as cryptic's revenue is going down the drain and the emails start coming out to please come back we love you long time! It will be to late then the free loafers can have a game that is dead with no one investing anything into it except cryptic's deleted emails. :mad::eek::mad:
    END THE WELFARE PROGRAM CRYPTIC OR MAYBE WE NEED TO END YOURS!!!
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its easy to see they want to play that way they just don't want to invest the time and effort that the vets have put into it. Instead they do all their crying on the forums to please nerf or that it should be made easier to get cuz its really hard!!!!! But they want it alright all on the backs of VET players. But its all good in six to nine months as cryptic's revenue is going down the drain and the emails start coming out to please come back we love you long time! It will be to late then the free loafers can have a game that is dead with no one investing anything into it except cryptic's deleted emails. :mad::eek::mad:

I have nine fully repped characters (8 are fully geared for high-level PvP), three more 50's on top of that, and 7 project toons. I'm fully behind these changes, and any additional changes directed towards containing power creep and possibly lowering the barrier of entry to PvP. Get the idea of phantom n00bs nerfing uber-powered pr0z out of your head; Cryptic isn't making these changes because of 'whiners'. They're making them because on its current trajectory STO is not a mechanically sustainable game environment.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
    edited March 2014
    blahhdrey wrote: »
    I have nine fully repped characters (8 are fully geared for high-end PvP), three more 50's on top of that, and 7 project toons. I'm fully behind these changes, and any additional changes directed towards containing power creep and possibly lowering the barrier of entry to PvP. Get the idea of phantom n00bs nerfing uber-powered pr0z out of your head; Cryptic isn't making these changes because of 'whiners'. They're making them because on its current trajectory STO is not a mechanically sustainable game environment.

That ts a good opinion. But it truly doesn't change the fact that we cant use what we worked for. So I'm glad you can support and agree with what they want you to. I however can not and will not stand for it. And the funny thing is by the looks of it I'm not the only one by far!
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    blahhdrey wrote: »
    I have nine fully repped characters (8 are fully geared for high-level PvP), three more 50's on top of that, and 7 project toons. I'm fully behind these changes, and any additional changes directed towards containing power creep and possibly lowering the barrier of entry to PvP. Get the idea of phantom n00bs nerfing uber-powered pr0z out of your head; Cryptic isn't making these changes because of 'whiners'. They're making them because on its current trajectory STO is not a mechanically sustainable game environment.

That's fine and well. You can support Cryptic all you want. They could have made it sustainable with 8/8/5 or 8/5 with a hard cap. Instead they are taking from what players built.

So, in my realization coming home, if they are taking the passive skills. You have to build the ship to reinforce and counter what Cryptic is taking away what we spent 100's of hours earning. In my test, days ago, I was going down to 30% in Tribble new Battlezone. Now, with my idea, I did not drop below 90%. I was hit once to 60% but recovered in about 10/12 seconds. I still have to work on the build.

That's their customer service saying TRIBBLE you to it's player base.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Yup, and all the people who played along with ARC's demands are unwittingly helping to destroy the game in the end by encouraging them to continue making more bad decisions.
    ( PWE: "See Cat, no ones listening to you, WE can get away with anything!")
    This is why I have been so adamant to get people to speak up to stop em. If your telling em how great it is now thinking it will give you special favor with em for obedience, you will only have yourselves to blame later on! Then will you still curse people like me, that fought against it and kept warning you?!!

Will you still cheer on that day?
    edited March 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    Yup, and all the people who played along with ARC's demands are unwittingly helping to destroy the game in the end by encouraging them to continue making more bad decisions.
    ( PWE: "See Cat, no ones listening to you, WE can get away with anything!")
    This is why I have been so adamant to get people to speak up to stop em. If your telling em how great it is now thinking it will give you special favor with em for obedience, you will only have yourselves to blame later on! Then will you still curse people like me, that fought against it and kept warning you?!!

Will you still cheer on that day?

If you search on the web, the complaints are spreading to articles about Star Trek Online new reputation system. So, Cryptic now has to do a whole bunch of public relations because it will get a bad name in the MMO gaming community.

Way to go Cryptic.
  • verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think whats got most people burned here is that they now have to pick and choose, and end up with less in the process, as opposed to picking and choosing and getting more.

5 reps, 4 space powers, 4 ground, 1 active per rep. so with undine, 20 space, 20 ground, 5 actives.

Previously someone could only have 2 of the space, and two of the ground powers from each, and had to pick between choices per tier. So with the only system you only really had 10 ground, 10 space, but would have had all 5 actives. As you add rep systems this would have gone up by 2 more per system, and could have been exponential.

so in the old system each rep would add 2 ground and two space abilities, endlessly, and a active. so 5 reps 10, 6 reps, 12, 8 reps 16. you can see how this might start to add up to a lot of power creep.

in the new system you'll have more powers to pick from technically, since you'll have 4 per rep, not just the two you picked from the 4, but you'll be limited to only 4 over all for ground, 4 for space, and 4 for actives.

SO in essence they will have limited you to 4 space not 10, and 4 ground, not 10, and 4 actives not 5. compared to 10 space, 10 ground. on the other side of that they have opened up combos not before possible and are allowing access to all the abilities you unlock each tier not one of them

So its is sort of a nerf and buff all rolled into one. you get less over all power, since you don't have as many abilities now all at once, but the abilities are getting much stronger, and you can tailor the four you pick to each encounter, and new combinations of them are available that the previous system prevented, like both nakura aux abilities.

this had a steep potential to turn into massive power creep, it doesn't directly address the current power creep much, if at all significantly, but it does crub a possible bad situation now.

sure we lost the number of abilities active at once, but we also gained stronger ones, and a ability to shift what he have slotted on the fly out of combat per situation.

I think people are so focused on what they "lost" that they refuse to see whats been gained by the system as well.
    edited March 2014
    If you search on the web, the complaints are spreading to articles about Star Trek Online new reputation system. So, Cryptic now has to do a whole bunch of public relations because it will get a bad name in the MMO gaming community.

Way to go Cryptic.

I don't know where you're getting this, but I can barely find them and the one page that had the so-called "complaints" came from *GASP* YOU!
    edited March 2014
    I don't know where you're getting this, but I can barely find them and the one page that had the so-called "complaints" came from *GASP* YOU!

Read down the thing. I'll read it again but I think I overdid it just a little.
    edited March 2014
    verline1 wrote: »
    I think whats got most people burned here is that they now have to pick and choose, and end up with less in the process, as opposed to picking and choosing and getting more.

5 reps, 4 space powers, 4 ground, 1 active per rep. so with undine, 20 space, 20 ground, 5 actives.

Previously someone could only have 2 of the space, and two of the ground powers from each, and had to pick between choices per tier. So with the only system you only really had 10 ground, 10 space, but would have had all 5 actives. As you add rep systems this would have gone up by 2 more per system, and could have been exponential.

so in the old system each rep would add 2 ground and two space abilities, endlessly, and a active. so 5 reps 10, 6 reps, 12, 8 reps 16. you can see how this might start to add up to a lot of power creep.

in the new system you'll have more powers to pick from technically, since you'll have 4 per rep, not just the two you picked from the 4, but you'll be limited to only 4 over all for ground, 4 for space, and 4 for actives.

SO in essence they will have limited you to 4 space not 10, and 4 ground, not 10, and 4 actives not 5. compared to 10 space, 10 ground. on the other side of that they have opened up combos not before possible and are allowing access to all the abilities you unlock each tier not one of them

So its is sort of a nerf and buff all rolled into one. you get less over all power, since you don't have as many abilities now all at once, but the abilities are getting much stronger, and you can tailor the four you pick to each encounter, and new combinations of them are available that the previous system prevented, like both nakura aux abilities.

this had a steep potential to turn into massive power creep, it doesn't directly address the current power creep much, if at all significantly, but it does crub a possible bad situation now.

sure we lost the number of abilities active at once, but we also gained stronger ones, and a ability to shift what he have slotted on the fly out of combat per situation.

I think people are so focused on what they "lost" that they refuse to see whats been gained by the system as well.

There is not much gained. I don't know what math you are using. So, what you get 4 stronger passive skills/buffs. You are still missing out of the other 16 you could use which I think combined would be better then 4 buffed ones. Unless you spent 200+ hours griding the rep system. I really think you don't understand one bit.
  • verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is not much gained. I don't know what math you are using. So, what you get 4 stronger passive skills/buffs. You are still missing out of the other 16 you could use which I think combined would be better then 4 buffed ones. Unless you spent 200+ hours griding the rep system. I really think you don't understand one bit.

I do, ive been on the test server and looked at it, and this is my point, your so focused on what you lost that you don't see that the system does have some upsides, which it does. I even said its a bit of a nerf, but do the math, eventually it would have had to have been broken somehow, of the gains turned into something so trivial they don't matter once we started getting up around 8-10 reps, this will already be number 5.

see its not just raw numbers though, as I pointed out your getting less active, but overall a larger pool, instead of more active and no way to swap them out.

yes some choices are no brainers for some people, but like the aux abilities in nakura, it was one or the other, but both are good, this system allows for both, which was impossible in the old system.

Yes its change, but change with a reason at least, yes its nerfing some aspects of the system, like how many traits you have active. but it is strengthen the active traits, adding a level of flexability not present, and removing the need to commit to only one choice per tier ever.

would it be better it it was six, sure, 8 maybe, but the power creeps bad enough with gear and ships, we don't need continuing added reps to throw it more out of whack, this can be see as a benefical if bitter pill
    edited March 2014
    STO, Its 5 year mission to make as much money as it can. To explore new wallets and seek out easy players! To boldly rip off its customers where no company should have gone Before!:mad::eek::mad:
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This needed to be done. I have no problem with it.

Yes, I have maxed Rep on my main. No, I don't feel like I'm being ripped-off.

It's a nerf and a buff. In the end, it comes out ahead. If this didn't happen, people would get bored VERY fast, due to the impulse to CONSTANTLY GRIND. Nobody wants to play a game when he/she looks upon it as a job. The main definition of "Game" is that of "amusement". This will help to bring in fresh blood, and give us vets the option to choose whatever passives we want, according to what we need to do.

I don't really understand the lash-out on this.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
    edited March 2014
    verline1 wrote: »
    I do, ive been on the test server and looked at it, and this is my point, your so focused on what you lost that you don't see that the system does have some upsides, which it does. I even said its a bit of a nerf, but do the math, eventually it would have had to have been broken somehow, of the gains turned into something so trivial they don't matter once we started getting up around 8-10 reps, this will already be number 5.

see its not just raw numbers though, as I pointed out your getting less active, but overall a larger pool, instead of more active and no way to swap them out.

yes some choices are no brainers for some people, but like the aux abilities in nakura, it was one or the other, but both are good, this system allows for both, which was impossible in the old system.

Yes its change, but change with a reason at least, yes its nerfing some aspects of the system, like how many traits you have active. but it is strengthen the active traits, adding a level of flexability not present, and removing the need to commit to only one choice per tier ever.

would it be better it it was six, sure, 8 maybe, but the power creeps bad enough with gear and ships, we don't need continuing added reps to throw it more out of whack, this can be see as a benefical if bitter pill

Yes. It would be better 8/8/5 or 8/5 with a hard cap. Cryptic would not have to boost the buffs by 50% or 100%. Frankly, at 8 either Cryptic could just leave the current bonuses as is. Honestly, after using another method with my ship to negate most of what I lost. I think I will end up pulling the same numbers with a major decrease of my ship flexibility in Kerrat or PVP which I mostly do.

I never said it was not needed. I just disagree with the 4/4/4 cap which is low and it should be bigger without any major change to reputations.

I don't plan to be swapping out traits like they want because most of the defense ones are still low. Knowing Cryptic they will decrease the ones boosting damage. I don't use ship load outs and not going use th new kits. The most changes I do are some weapons changes depending on the circumstance and situation.

I also don't think there is a benefit to go pass the newer reputations pass Tier 1. So less grinding and less time. So, less money for Cryptic and I know my fleet mates will hurt also since I'm pretty active with my fleets I'm on.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This needed to be done. I have no problem with it.

Yes, I have maxed Rep on my main. No, I don't feel like I'm being ripped-off.

It's a nerf and a buff. In the end, it comes out ahead. If this didn't happen, people would get bored VERY fast, due to the impulse to CONSTANTLY GRIND. Nobody wants to play a game when he/she looks upon it as a job. The main definition of "Game" is that of "amusement". This will help to bring in fresh blood, and give us vets the option to choose whatever passives we want, according to what we need to do.

I don't really understand the lash-out on this.

my understanding of it, our previous ability's will be reorganized to remove our strengths we built up for, i have 1 toon setup for ground pvp and another for space pvp, if im forced to balance them evenly it will ruin my progress, and their purpose. Thats a nerf not a buff or me and any other who did this.

a bit off topic, but didnt last year you guys go through a whole ordeal to teach people skills to successfully manage gear, skills and powers to become competative in pvp? Why now the big push to level the playing field?? I dont understand that...plus it kinda ruins my setup for my lolcat, it was already challenging enough surviving voth zones and queued missions with the USS Kittyprize.
    edited March 2014
    I also love how the developers are ignoring the player base in the forums. They know people aren't happy and they seat behind a chair laughing at us.
    edited March 2014
    my understanding of it, our previous ability's will be reorganized to remove our strengths we built up for, i have 1 toon setup for ground pvp and another for space pvp, if im forced to balance them evenly it will ruin my progress, and their purpose. Thats a nerf not a buff or me and any other who did this.

a bit off topic, but didnt last year you guys go through a whole ordeal to teach people skills to successfully manage gear, skills and powers to become competative in pvp? Why now the big push to level the playing field?? I dont understand that...plus it kinda ruins my setup for my lolcat, it was already challenging enough surviving voth zones and queued missions with the USS Kittyprize.

I built my reputation heavily on hull fortifying, secondary shielding, structural integrity, and some critical damage. It was built to have as much shielding, hull integrityl, and regeneration since it was not a Federation ship. I put some into offense so about a 80/20 ratio. The new system strips alway most of my defense which in PVP I will probably get me killed because many Klingon players just going use the new system to increase damage. Since, my defense now drops to 10% of what I had before. So, I played and busted 100's plus hours for that. BS.

So, I am royally screwed by Cryptic with the new reputation system.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I also love how the developers are ignoring the player base in the forums. They know people aren't happy and they seat behind a chair laughing at us.
    Ignoring is what's happening, it is the fact that they're not at work... maybe you should try to think of how they must also take a weekend off instead of spouting that they're "ignoring" players... which is categorically false. Also, how do you know they're laughing at you?
    I have fully tiered reputations in both the Dyson and Romulan reputations, I am procrastinating on the Nukara and Omega until season 9 is live... I don't find this change to be bad in the least, so saying "any other who did this" is not true... what you should have said is this: "...and some others who have done this..."

Why is that, you ask? It's because you don't speak for other people, you only speak for yourself. Yes, some players agree with you...but that doesn't make the "any other" part of your post true at all.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
This discussion has been closed.