test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ignoring is what's happening, it is the fact that they're not at work... maybe you should try to think of how they must also take a weekend off instead of spouting that they're "ignoring" players... which is categorically false. Also, how do you know they're laughing at you?

Think about what, really. If I have not seen one response about the low 4/4/4 from anyone during the week. So, I'm going think they are ignoring the player base and only catering to themselves on this one. I don't believe any one of them spent the hundreds of hours playing the games like the veterans. So, they can tell veterans what veterans needs to have limited really.
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Think about what, really. If I have not seen one response about the low 4/4/4 from anyone during the week. So, I'm going think they are ignoring the player base and only catering to themselves on this one. I don't believe any one of them spent the hundreds of hours playing the games like the veterans. So, they can tell veterans what veterans needs to have limited really.

I'm a veteran. Therefore, I know this needed to happen. Better now than later.

The Rep system is a downward spiral that needed to be curbed in order to not chase away most vets and newer players.

Do people want to feel the need to grind, or have fun? You still have your options to choose what powers you want, w/out a respec token.

I'm not a Cryptic fanboi, but I sincerely agree with this decision. The Borg remodulation needs to be addressed, but other than that, I'm on board.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Schroedinger's Nerf.

Hahahahah. Well done. I like that term, and will probably reference it in the future.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    If I have not seen one response about the low 4/4/4 from anyone during the week.

Both hawk and bort have multiple responses on this topic. In this thread, in the Tribble thread, and a couple others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    after testing on tribble i will agree this is not a nerf. in fact DPS has gone up if you take all the T2 offensive powers sense the defense powers suffer so heavily from diminishing returns you can get away with not taking them and not effect your survivability

it's a very strange thing as wile i am upset they are taking a way things i earned i can actually not call it a nerf to performance.

it also points out there is no reason to really go beyond T2 in most reps unless you want the gear or the T5 clicky power.
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    For the attention of anyone who thinks this is 'power creep control'...

Two man KAGE, on tribble, as we did before with the same tactics and finished with about another minute on the clock. So either we've been buffed or the devs idea of power creep control isn't working, as expected.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj266xu4dyw&feature=youtu.be

Teamwork is OP Cryptic, so make your missions harder and require some work to get the optionals, so those passives aren't power creep but actually needed.

Also, anyone who's seen our old video will see we've done this in the same manner as before to make it a fair test. If anything I should mention I had none of my rep powers in that missions as they didn't port over with the transfer.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    For the attention of anyone who thinks this is 'power creep control'...

Two man KAGE, on tribble, as we did before with the same tactics and finished with about another minute on the clock. So either we've been buffed or the devs idea of power creep control isn't working, as expected.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj266xu4dyw&feature=youtu.be

Teamwork is OP Cryptic, so make your missions harder and require some work to get the optionals, so those passives aren't power creep but actually needed.

Also, anyone who's seen our old video will see we've done this in the same manner as before to make it a fair test. If anything I should mention I had none of my rep powers in that missions as they didn't port over with the transfer.

My Partner in crime may not have had any of his rep powers in that mission. But I was fortunate enough to have copied my toon over an hour or two before hand. But I also made the point of bringing up the rep selection screen after we killed Tosk so people could see that we were indeed using the new system.

Please note that there are several times when the Borg energy attacks completely by passed my personal shields. I don't know if this is intentional or not. But if it isn't then this needs to be addressed BEFORE it gets rail roaded over to holodeck.

More to the point if the entire idea of this nerf is to prevent stuff like this from happening then all I can say is that the Dev's have failed to make the slightest bit of difference. More to the point I dare them respond to this!
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Though I still think it would be nicer to have gotten 8 ground and 8 space slots, and keeping the old rep powers....

This does make getting rep gear (no expertise cost, a real pain since old MU was taken out), and progressing reputations much easier, plus I can actually make my ships even deadlier.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,234 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    gpgtx wrote: »
    after testing on tribble i will agree this is not a nerf. in fact DPS has gone up if you take all the T2 offensive powers sense the defense powers suffer so heavily from diminishing returns you can get away with not taking them and not effect your survivability

it's a very strange thing as wile i am upset they are taking a way things i earned i can actually not call it a nerf to performance.

it also points out there is no reason to really go beyond T2 in most reps unless you want the gear or the T5 clicky power.
    It is a nerf as the bonus no longer apply to none energy weapons. Torpedo’s and mines for example are much worse off now. Any power not based on energy is no longer boosted. My ship build has lost a lot of performance due to the way the powers have been changed.

The offensive powers are useless to me as they only work with some weapon types now. For me DPS has droped massively even if I take all offensive powers.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    It is a nerf as the bonus no longer apply to none energy weapons. Torpedo’s and mines for example are much worse off now. Any power not based on energy is no longer boosted. My ship build has lost a lot of performance due to the way the powers have been changed.

The offensive powers are useless to me as they only work with some weapon types now. For me DPS has droped massively even if I take all offensive powers.

That's the thing, there are those in this community who assume everyone is using the established cookie cutter builds and only those builds who demand certain things from the devs, and when they get them they assume everything is fine because everyone absolutely HAS to have the cookie cutter build even in PVE in order to be considered important.

If you don't they tell you that you're a fringe player or a niche player and your opinion doesn't matter, they also tell you because your experience in the game doesn't match theres that everything is perfectly fine with what the devs have done and that it's not a nerf.

Taking away sensor assault was a huge nerf to both my science and my engineer both flying weaker ships than cruisers or carriers and both using skills like FAW and TSIII/CSVIII and I was able to continue using this because the ships I was firing at were being placated by the Romulan passive. The enemies would aggro to me, and then suddenly stop and attack someone else.

Isis is not a valid replacement for this. She only restricts their perception and only on beam setups so now my engineer no longer has the protection he needs to make his build work well on my Rom Vet ship.

My science continues to get attacked because there is no placate and so I had to train out of FAW entirely in order to survive which lowers the effectiveness of beams entirely. Now I'm forced to use BO but as you know it only hits one enemy. Also, the 1 set of beams that's supposed to bounce is terrible, Nukara, so that wouldn't be a viable option considering they almost never bounce to hit more than one enemy.

This is most definitely a nerf.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have been trying this for couple days now since it live on tribble and I have to say I don't think they will keep it as is in the game. because if anything my dps went up. I was playing the undine in the battle zone before this live and now they are much easier to kill the enemy. so if what they were saying about putting people on a lvl field and helping curb power creep is true they wont allow this to stay in place. So for now im changing my objections to the new system. but one thing still holds true all the people that were for this saying its going to bring balance to the game are dead wrong if anything it has gotten worse.

and I still think the best way to deal with it is only let the passives given apply to the enemy of that reputation system. stop over complicating the UI with one that looks so silly . and will increase time spent in just setting up.

Omega rep passives = only work against Borg
    Nukara rep passives = only work against Tholians
    Dyson rep passives = only work against Voth
    Rommie rep passives = gotta decide who the enemy is LOL tal shir? tholians? elachi? id say elachi but im not even sure where we can fight them in the game right except replaying storyline.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This needed to be done. I have no problem with it.

Yes, I have maxed Rep on my main. No, I don't feel like I'm being ripped-off.

It's a nerf and a buff. In the end, it comes out ahead. If this didn't happen, people would get bored VERY fast, due to the impulse to CONSTANTLY GRIND. Nobody wants to play a game when he/she looks upon it as a job. The main definition of "Game" is that of "amusement". This will help to bring in fresh blood, and give us vets the option to choose whatever passives we want, according to what we need to do.

I don't really understand the lash-out on this.

Actually, Every time on tribble I'm finding a work around. Now, this thing is bad because it only solves future power creep from reputation systems Cryptic creates. Cryptic gave us something we can grind for many hours to get some additional ability that is small compared to the scale of things. That we want. This change is a smack in the face to veteran players.

I suspect videos going be online of 2 man STF's and missions on youtube showing thing. This seems to already started. All this thing does is TRIBBLE some veterans royally. Soon. Once the change hit Holodeck, it's just going be worst.

Cryptic is choosing to constantly create grinds insteads of focusing on the main problem. Content and Episodes including Featured Episodes. They need a dedicated team who can make content from easy to super elite. If the game engine used a sandbox gaming engine, then the players becomes the narrative. Which would save Cryptic time in content but the game wasn't made that way from the start. So, Cryptic should be blaming themselves, not the veterans.

Now, do I not expect a fresh lvl 50 player to compete with a 3/4 years long lvl 50 player who did the reputation system. No way in hell. There are new lvl 50 players who can get beaten by 3/4 year long players. That's life. They need to work harder.

All this reputation change does is tell the new lvl 50 player, we'll give you a cheat sheet and you don't have to earn anything. It so obvious it's stupid.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Power creep is good! Power creep is progress, it's what we have to show for playing this game. If there is nothing more, nothing better to reach for, no new heights to achieve, there's no point in playing anymore.

This system in which gaining rep tiers no longer gives you additional bonuses is anything but rewarding. What's the point of grinding a new rep if all you'll get for it is "options" that are more or less equal to the dozens of "options" you already had before?

Unless the Undine rep bonuses are going to be significantly better then all previous ones, there will be no reason to bother with them, since we will already have 4 times more "options" from the existing reps than slots to use them in.

And I say "the difference between a fresh max-level character and one who’d spent hundreds of hours at endgame" absolutely should be pretty damn high, a lot higher than it currently is even with the rep passives in fact, because the level cap hasn't been raised in years.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    Power creep is good! Power creep is progress, it's what we have to show for playing this game. If there is nothing more, nothing better to reach for, no new heights to achieve, there's no point in playing anymore.

This system in which gaining rep tiers no longer gives you additional bonuses is anything but rewarding. What's the point of grinding a new rep if all you'll get for it is "options" that are more or less equal to the dozens of "options" you already had before?

Unless the Undine rep bonuses are going to be significantly better then all previous ones, there will be no reason to bother with them, since we will already have 4 times more "options" from the existing reps than slots to use them in.

And I say "the difference between a fresh max-level character and one who’d spent hundreds of hours at endgame" absolutely should be pretty damn high, a lot higher than it currently is even with the rep passives in fact, because the level cap hasn't been raised in years.

How long does the child celebrate getting better and better at tying their shoelaces before they no longer even give it any thought?

Power creep is not good in of itself. Progress is not good in of itself either. If you're leveling up and fighting things that are basically the same things you fought before, well - you're tying black laces instead of white laces but it is what it is.

Different folks want different things - they get a sense of achievement from different things.

Some folks want to run ISE as fast as possible. Some folks want to run ISE with most minimalist build they can. Some folks are perfectly happy just grinding away Reps/DOFFs/Fleets cause it's something that's there where they can easily measure their progress. Some folks want to be vapers that can obliterate any target. Some folks want to be tanks that can shrug off any vaper. Some folks want to get better themselves at the game not end up actually worse at the game because of everything being added and the game basically playing for them. Some folks want challenge gated content, where it's not just about gear gating but skill gating - they want to have everything and still have it take everything they've got with four other folks to get it done. Some folks this...some folks that...

Different folks want different things - they get a sense of achievement from different things.
    edited March 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    because if anything my dps went up.

They are definitely making more tweaks to it. But not because your DPS went up. As this discussion has ballooned a lot of the talk has shifted wildly away from what Hawk actually wrote in the blog:
    However, we like the appeal of the Reputation system’s escalating power rewards – they feel good to earn and good to use. The solution that lets us balance passive power creep and give even better rewards than before for Rep progression is very similar to the solution we used for Traits – let players earn power options, then pick and choose which of those powers they want to be using at any given time.

It's intentional. The buff is intentional. The goal is to curb future power creep. Not the very current state of the present game.

So all these posts coming in showing that the "nerf" is actually a "buff" pretty much tells them that they're hitting their target.

What's left is testing the individual powers to make sure they work like they're supposed to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Some folks want challenge gated content, where it's not just about gear gating but skill gating - they want to have everything and still have it take everything they've got with four other folks to get it done.

Those folks need to play a different game. One that provides that kind of gameplay. This game has some of the trappings of that kind of gameplay, but none of the actual mechanics of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stearns1stearns1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Im not really sure I understand this "power creep" everyone has been talking about. My main toon is finished with all existing rep. Since he is finished he can no longer get any more benefits than he already has from the rep system. All I can do now to increase his dps potential, for example, is get different weapons and consoles and such to support his abilities. As far as rep powers are concerned, it stands to reason a "fresh lvl 50" isn't going to have the same dps, survivability or whatever as my toon. Why is there a problem with this? Any other player that finishes all his/her rep is going to be on the same lvl as me at that point so no big difference in power there. They just have to invest the time to get all their rep stuff done and then work on ship/toon build. I think what is driving all this is you have people that want end game benefits without having to invest the time, money, energy and skill required to get them and use them effectively.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Those folks need to play a different game. One that provides that kind of gameplay. This game has some of the trappings of that kind of gameplay, but none of the actual mechanics of it.

Many of the folks should be looking for another game, not just them...this game caters to a specific audience - or did - lol, for two+ years they catered to that audience...now they're making changes, they had to know there was going to be the hissyfit from those players.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The undine rep powers are pretty TRIBBLE.

However the items are very OP. Especially the set bonus that gives either 15% phaser or disruptor damage.

You wont grind undine rep for powers, you'll do it for the "SHINEH OP GEAR!"
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A different genre would be a good start. I've never played an MMORPG that wasn't all about gear and stats. Then again, I like collecting gear and stats so thats naturally the kind of game I go for.
    tpalelena wrote: »
    You wont grind undine rep for powers, you'll do it for the "SHINEH OP GEAR!"
    I seriously hope so, because otherwise it not only be the first rep I've considered skipping, but the first rep I actually skip.

I certainly wouldn't ever do something like Nukara rep under the new system.
  • talos8talos8 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I see "Ye Olde TRIBBLE You" is in full effect. I feel for everyone that did all of that grinding for their powers. I'm sure that they'll have you paying extra to use the powers that we worked so hard to get. I wonder if the agenda is to crush STO.
  • roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How long does the child celebrate getting better and better at tying their shoelaces before they no longer even give it any thought?

Power creep is not good in of itself. Progress is not good in of itself either. If you're leveling up and fighting things that are basically the same things you fought before, well - you're tying black laces instead of white laces but it is what it is.

Some folks want to run ISE as fast as possible. Some folks want to run ISE with most minimalist build they can. Some folks are perfectly happy just grinding away Reps/DOFFs/Fleets cause it's something that's there where they can easily measure their progress. Some folks want to be vapers that can obliterate any target. Some folks want to be tanks that can shrug off any vaper. Some folks want to get better themselves at the game not end up actually worse at the game because of everything being added and the game basically playing for them. Some folks want challenge gated content, where it's not just about gear gating but skill gating - they want to have everything and still have it take everything they've got with four other folks to get it done. Some folks this...some folks that...

Exactly, but why should the fresh lvl 50 tanker be able to tank as well as a veteran? I don't expect my lvl 50 toon that I haven't put time into to perform as well as my maxed out lvl 50. but with the new system she will be much closer.

Cryptic is basically saying "Yes we know you have perfected your toon to be awesome but we only want you to perform at this lower level so we are going to types some code and make you mediocre again. And btw...we don't care what you think about this so bugger off."

If someone can actually produce numbers that QUANTIFY that the new system will actually produce better results I would love to see them. And on the reverse I would love to see numbers that show that this will decrease our abilities. As of right now all we are talking is conjecture.
    edited March 2014
    roninfel wrote: »
    If someone can actually produce numbers that QUANTIFY that the new system will actually produce better results I would love to see them. And on the reverse I would love to see numbers that show that this will decrease our abilities. As of right now all we are talking is conjecture.
    It’s not simple conjecture. My build is based around none energy damage. The new powers no longer boost none energy damage. My abilities decrease with a massive damage decrease in the new rep system. How is going from getting a damage boost in the old system to getting zero damage boost in the new system conjecture?
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    roninfel wrote: »
    Exactly, but why should the fresh lvl 50 tanker be able to tank as well as a veteran? I don't expect my lvl 50 toon that I haven't put time into to perform as well as my maxed out lvl 50. but with the new system she will be much closer.

Cryptic is basically saying "Yes we know you have perfected your toon to be awesome but we only want you to perform at this lower level so we are going to types some code and make you mediocre again. And btw...we don't care what you think about this so bugger off."

If you have been playing this game for 4 years and know it inside and out its pretty obvious what this change does. It isn't conjecture at all. Its a buff and a nerf at the same time. No fresh level 50s are not going to perform the same as you will with all your rep. You will have 4 passives unlocked 4 actives unlocked and you likely have a few of the tier 5 skills as well. They are still not going to have the T5 stuff for sometime... they won't have any MK XII sets unlocked... no Weapon sets... ect ect ect.

What they will be able to do is unlock 4 usable passives with in a week or so. Which is good. It means they are not dragging down the pugs for a month of weekends at least. They will still have to grind just as long as you did if they want to use up there active and skill slots. They will still need to be grinding to earn all the gear you have access to... half of which you likely have sitting in your bank for when you decide to change your build around cause your board.

People are over reating when they say Oh this is just about making noobies perform like Vets. Look at how it works and think... all this does is help them out with some passives a bit earlier... They still won't have the nice choice of opitions you do even on the passives until they hit Tier 2 on at least 2 reps... the Tier 4 active stuff is still going to take them the same amount of time. As it does now.

This new system like I say Nerf and Buff, and nerf is NOT a bad word. Sometimes Nerfs are exactly what games need. When developers add new stuff to games they are GOING to mess up all the time and add things they likely should not have. Stuff gets released that is simply to powerful... at times the mess up is bad enough that a complete system needs to be rethought. That is exactly what happened here. Yes I agree with many people when they say WHY WOULD they have not done this from day one so it wouldn't have been an issue now. No doubt they should have seen this coming. Frankly many of us Warned them WAY back Rep grind 1 that if they where going to do more in the future they had to have some sort of cap or it was going to get out of hand. Instead they let the rep count get to 4 before deciding that it couldn't continue to 5 and the 6 ect ect.

So it is what it is ... its a needed Nerf... and they have thrown in some buffs on pretty much everything. So yes if you are wise in your choices you are buffing specific parts of your build... however no you can't slot everything at one time so you are Nerfed slightly yes. What this will mean in actual game play is simple... you can super boost your Offense or Defense compared to the old system... however if you choose to super boost you give up completely any buffs to the reverse. So yes get more offense then the old system but retain none of the defensive perks. Reverse works the same way.

In the end its a good change that is very much needed... It also doesn't go far enough. Frankly I don't see how they move forward really without making some more very major changes. If they are serious about thinking about 1-2 years down the road from today... I'm sorry to tell you expect more "nerfs"... honestly if you don't see any more of those "nerfs" you can expect the game won't be around that long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let me convey a verbal complaint on the matter --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yie9Bgo69m8
  • ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Test ab.

Lol, 35.8% all damage, 3.6% accuracy, and that is with 116 aux power level.
    Interesting....
    2nhfgxf.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Test ab.

Lol, 35.8% all damage, 3.6% accuracy, and that is with 116 aux power level.
    Interesting....
    That is energy damage only which is a massive nerf for none energy builds. The old power worked for all damage the new one is energy only :(
    edited March 2014
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    That is energy damage only which is a massive nerf for none energy builds. The old power worked for all damage the new one is energy only :(

Since the tooltip says the new one is supposed to work for all damage as well ...

It's a bug.

Bug report it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Since the tooltip says the new one is supposed to work for all damage as well ...

It's a bug.

Bug report it.
    I have but in my experience that will do nothing. Last bunch of times I found "bugs" like this I bug reported it, posted in the tribble path notes, posted in the correct feedback thread and it was never fixed.

Still not had a fix for missing fleet items, broken in game weapons after years why would this be any different? I know of one special mission weapon reward which has been broken for 4+ years. Despite bug reports, speaking directly to devs about it.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Do we have to go through each rep system and redo our powers or are they going to be done for us by default with the new settings.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
This discussion has been closed.