Install Arc
Options

Official feedback thread for the new Earth Space Dock

Comments

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    norcaler2 wrote: »
    On a related note, I noticed that the displays on the Aquarius bridge now show the LCARS from ESD.

That's because those consoles are standard types seen around other bridges and the game. Some bridges ended up with the new LCARS look on consoles that are the same type as other bridges, while the rest of the consoles on the bridge, like the large panels on the walls, weren't touched. It ended up looking half finished.

I'm still hoping tacofangs can get some time to go through ship bridges and update the consoles either to the new LCARS look or something more canon and specific for certain bridges.
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think its time for a change and get rid of all those generic uniforms on the npc's ... they should all use the odyssey uniform and some cadet uniforms also. this will finally give it a real trek feel ... this goes for all contacts also.. red=command yellow = engineering security blue= science green medical .. this is the way it was ment to be
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Does the lighting on new ESD match the option in the Tailor for selecting ESD lighting?
    switchngc wrote: »
    I haven't found "Egg" yet... is he going away or did I just miss him?

I haven't found him either...

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Does the lighting on new ESD match the option in the Tailor for selecting ESD lighting?

I don`t think so.

It looked different to me. New ESD is brighter and less diffuse.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    I don`t think so.

It looked different to me. New ESD is brighter and less diffuse.

There is an issue with the lighting in the command area, I reported it a few pages back. The lighting shifts dramatically brighter when walking round the corner to command but it is delayed. It will also disappear if you go see Quinn after that is gone till you go round the corner again.

Taco, have you had a chance to look at the Prometheus/Academy chairs instead of the Sovereign captain chairs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Something I've noticed with last Friday's update, the BEAUTIFUL massive Starfleet Emblem with To Boldly Go in Latin on it where the Voth is standing.....it has become dark. It used to have a spotlight or something on it, now it's kind of hard to see it.
    Please, PLEASE, PLEASE leave the ones in the "storefront window" section TOS? Yes, put contemporary uniforms on the mannequins inside the shop but those you first see should be FASHION and STYLE and not practicality.

The TOS uniforms are timeless classics, and should remain on display as the beautiful works of art they are. Just in the window, not the rest. I beg of you.
    They're a V-neck sweater and black cropped pants. This is the 25th century. The Odyssey uniform or the Veteran Jupiter should take prominence. At the minimal the starter Sierra and Antares. Ideally you would use the Uniform History special project as the walkway to the tailor but there's not space for that.
    That's because those consoles are standard types seen around other bridges and the game. Some bridges ended up with the new LCARS look on consoles that are the same type as other bridges, while the rest of the consoles on the bridge, like the large panels on the walls, weren't touched. It ended up looking half finished.

I'm still hoping tacofangs can get some time to go through ship bridges and update the consoles either to the new LCARS look or something more canon and specific for certain bridges.
    It's truly jarring seeing the the normal multi-colored consoles and then have the GIGANTIC back display walls still in the dull monotone blue.
    There is an issue with the lighting in the command area, I reported it a few pages back. The lighting shifts dramatically brighter when walking round the corner to command but it is delayed. It will also disappear if you go see Quinn after that is gone till you go round the corner again.

Taco, have you had a chance to look at the Prometheus/Academy chairs instead of the Sovereign captain chairs?

That does make sense though, the command side where Admiral Quinn is is facing the sun. Logically it's going to be substantially brighter than the protected enclosed docking bay.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014

No, the tailor option was set up to look like old ESD. But that's a good point. I'll try to fix that up.

The "lighting" change is actually the reflection cubemap changing from the concourse to Ops. Unfortunately there is no way to have them cross fade, it will always pop like that.

No, haven't had a chance to look at chairs. Too many other priorities so far.

captaind3 wrote: »
    Something I've noticed with last Friday's update, the BEAUTIFUL massive Starfleet Emblem with To Boldly Go in Latin on it where the Voth is standing.....it has become dark. It used to have a spotlight or something on it, now it's kind of hard to see it.

Yes, the light there broke for some reason. It's fixed now.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

So, how many environment artists does it take to change a lightbulb? :P
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    Taco, has there been any discussion about moving the Captain's Table to ESD?

I was looking at those big doors on the upper balcony the other night and they would be perfect entrances. All you'd have to do would be to replace the skyfile out the windows with the ESD one.

Obviously something would have to be done from the Klingon side. Haven't thought that through yet.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    We've talked about (and most devs are cool with) moving the entrance for the Captain's Table to the club (when it's done), but the captain's table itself would not move, just the door.

I fixed that one myself, so I guess 1?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Cool, just seems a lot more convenient if it's somewhere on ESD (not sure why, just a feeling). KDF entrance could be in the First City bar.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2014

LOL
    The "lighting" change is actually the reflection cubemap changing from the concourse to Ops. Unfortunately there is no way to have them cross fade, it will always pop like that.

No, haven't had a chance to look at chairs. Too many other priorities so far.

Good to know, thanks.
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

I was looking at those big doors on the upper balcony the other night and they would be perfect entrances. All you'd have to do would be to replace the skyfile out the windows with the ESD one.

Obviously something would have to be done from the Klingon side. Haven't thought that through yet.

Yes, discussed lots in a few of these pages. It seems the current direction is to have a door on ESD that takes you to the Captains Table map. I am sure there will be more on this once ESD reaches its final stages. Of course I don't presume to speak for Taco here :P

EDIT: Ninja'd by Taco :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The potted plants in Requisitions/Exchange have a lot of them sitting too low in the pot and they are clipping through the side walls. You also have two that are not sitting too low and don't clip.

Clipping:
    Exchange Sample

Requisitions Sample

Not Clipping:
    Exchange Sample

Requisitions Sample
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Sign over the Chief Medical Officer's Office is cut off.

Infirmary
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I love that I can park my Vesta in a dry dock now!

I noticed that there is still the whiteout effect around where the old Earth model used to be when you fly through that bit of space.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2014

could it be that they have sunlight coming in through the window in the command area?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Originally Posted by captaind3 View Post

you have to tell us taco, how many people did it take to change that lightbulb?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

interesting idea since the books have that place as some random door instead of the nebula.
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    darlexa wrote: »
    you have to tell us taco, how many people did it take to change that lightbulb?

He already did tell us.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We've talked about (and most devs are cool with) moving the entrance for the Captain's Table to the club (when it's done), but the captain's table itself would not move, just the door.

Put it inside the club on an elevated balcony with a bouncer outside the door.

Needs some Republic Officers scattered throughout ESD.
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    But before you do away with it, take a little time and put the Captain's Table space map in the Foundry. That way we don't lose it forever :)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But before you do away with it, take a little time and put the Captain's Table space map in the Foundry. That way we don't lose it forever :)
    Oh yes, it is spectacular!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Look at his post again http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=16080441#post16080441 They are not doing away with it, just moving the door. I'm guessing we will still be able to fly up to it in the Sol and Qo'nos systems and enter the Captain's Table that way still. Or at least it should be that way along with the door in club 47.

But I have to agree that they should add a an entry point to the Captain's Table in First City, and if possible, New Romulus Command.
  • Options
    tokkeenaturaktokkeenaturak Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sorry if this is old info, but I was looking for the shield generator pile needed for complete A Good Start on a new toon, and wasn't able to locate it, no marker and nothing to interact with near the commodity brokers.

ESD is looking pretty damn sexy now, by the way. :)
  • Options
    tjknight69tjknight69 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Bug
    New ESB in the center behind the Voth Medic in front of the exchange their is a random "Open Door" prompt when selected it request an Away Team and you are transported to the Dyon Battle Zone where the game freezes
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tjknight69 wrote: »
    Bug
    New ESB in the center behind the Voth Medic in front of the exchange their is a random "Open Door" prompt when selected it request an Away Team and you are transported to the Dyon Battle Zone where the game freezes

Thats part of the Voth Medic for testing the battlezone. He's been there since Season 8. Not a bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Erm... we're talking about if ESD is falling. That is, if something pushes it (or pieces of it) toward Earth (like a giant explosion). And if it's falling, it's no longer in geosynchronous orbit. Sure, until it gets into the atmospheric interface, it may stay "over" the same location, but as soon as the atmosphere starts building up, it's going to add a lot of friction and resistance, pushing it westward as it continues its descent. to the surface.

The bigger question is, "how far westward" and that would probably have more to do with the mass and shape of the station or station pieces falling. If ESD is stationed over the Atlantic Ocean, I'd predict that the lighter pieces would fall across the middle of North America while the heavier chunks would wipe out the East Coast.
    Laws of motion man. If ESD was in synchronous orbit, just because it's losing altitude, doesn't mean it loses the momentum it had. Yes, when it hits the atmosphere, that will affect it, but you are correct that I don't know how much it would. I am not an Astrophysicist. I'm an Environment Artist. At some point we have to leave things for the suspension of disbelief within a video game based on a science fiction television show from the 60's.

I think the words you are looking for are "Damn it, Jim. I'm an environment artist, not an astrophysicist."

There are several factors that would affect ESD's trajectory:

1. The force that pushes ESD out of geostationary orbit
    2. Conservation of angular momentum as ESD descends
    3. The effects of friction once ESD enters the atmosphere

If ESD is in geostationary orbit, then it should be revolving about the Earth from west to east. For convenience, we shall consider the west-to-east direction as positive. Suppose that an explosion pushes ESD out of orbit, but does not continue to exert a force after the initial push. Assume that the explosion is not large enough to reverse the direction of ESD's revolution about the Earth. Further assume that ESD is left mostly intact, so it loses only a negligible portion of its mass. Let m denote the mass of ESD, r denote its distance from center of the Earth, and omega denote its angular velocity. ESD's moment of inertia I is given by

I = mr^2,

and its angular momentum L is given by

L = I omega = mr^2 omega.

Assume that m stays constant during ESD's descent, that is, the station stays in once piece as it falls. By conservation of angular momentum, as r decreases, omega would have to increase. Once ESD enters the atmostphere, its angular speed would decrease due to friction. I'm not sure how to calculate this; it would probably depend in part on ESD's shape.

Note that ESD's linear momentum would not be conserved during the fall; it would increase due to the force of gravity. ESD's angular momentum is conserved, because gravity acts only in the radial direction.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    starchasernxstarchasernx Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    When I first visited the new Spacedock, I was not too impressed, but perhaps that is because I'm just used to the old Spacedock. I revisited it today and was more impressed this time. I like how I found bank and mail access scattered through out the map. I like the shuttle bay to Starfleet Academy (but I do not like that it does not take you to Starfleet Academy's shuttle bay, just beams you down, but maybe that is a work in progress).

The new Spacedock feels empty. It needs people in it. I suppose once it goes on Holodeck Spacedock will become lively once again as it fills up with players.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    When I first visited the new Spacedock, I was not too impressed, but perhaps that is because I'm just used to the old Spacedock. I revisited it today and was more impressed this time. I like how I found bank and mail access scattered through out the map. I like the shuttle bay to Starfleet Academy (but I do not like that it does not take you to Starfleet Academy's shuttle bay, just beams you down, but maybe that is a work in progress).

The new Spacedock feels empty. It needs people in it. I suppose once it goes on Holodeck Spacedock will become lively once again as it fills up with players.

that would be fun to go to the academy shuttle bay. it would appeal to those players wanting to take the "scenic route" between the two.

i would definitely do it when im not in a hurry.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is anyone else seeing weird cpu spikes and short/sharp fps drops whenever you make a sudden change in camera angle or direction on ESD? It passes after a moment but it's very sharp, going from 60 fps down to 0 or very low single digit figures for 2-3 seconds, after which the frame rate returns to normal.

The map itself is beautiful, though it isn't what I'd imagine a base like ESD would be. I do love all the little touches in it however. Seeing an Akira class ship named "Geronimo" in the dry dock made me think that there's a bridge commander veteran in the art team ;)

One thing I did notice had to do with the shipyard window. It seems to have issues with z-fighting. If I look at it from some angles it looks fine. However if I change camera angle, orientation or position even slightly it looks like there's a set of blinds instantly drawing across the window, a set of blinds that just happens to look exactly like one of the internal walls of the dock where the boats are.

Also, when I look at THAT window (from now on I shall call the shipyard window THAT window due to it being so huuuuuge :D) I have an urge to run up it, or along the supports. I'd love it if the invisible walls were removed so that we could go up there. Though I think a nice touch would be little signs on and around those parts saying that we were up there at our own risk or something!
    I think THAT window would make for a really nice party area!
    I need a beer.